A top player's income ?!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
This picture shows the previous years of top earning Chinese athletes from the same newspaper. Wang Hao made to the list in 2010 and Zhang Jike made to the list in 2012. They have soccer players in previous years which I don't get why they no longer include. I summerize the names who also appear in the 2016 list and you can see the trend.

2010, 16 athletes over 5 million CNY (1 soccer player and 4 basketball players)
2. Yi Jianlian 40.93 million CNY
5. Lin Dan 12 million CNY
13. Ding Junhui 6.9 million CNY
16. Wang Hao 5.2 million CNY

2011, 11 athletes over 7.5 million CNY (3 soccer players and 3 basketball players)
2. Yi Jianlian 49.21 million CNY
4. Lin Dan 14.5 million CNY
10. Ding Junhui 7.5 million CNY

2012, 12 athletes over 10 million CNY (1 soccer player and 1 basketball player)
3. Sun Yang 30 million CNY
4. Lin Dan 26 million CNY
6. Feng Shanshan 15 million CNY
7. Zhang Jike 13 million CNY
7. Yi Jianlian 13 million CNY
11. Ding Junhui 10 million CNY

2013, 16 athelets over 10 million CNY (7 soccer players and 1 basketball player)
2. Lin Dan 30 million CNY
3. Sun Yang 22 million CNY
6. Yi Jianlian 15 million CNY
11. Feng Shanshan 14.5 million CNY
11. Ding Junhui 11 million CNY

2014, 12 athelets over 10 million CNY (3 soccer players and 2 basketball players)
2. Lin Dan 30 million CNY
4. Zou Shiming 16 million CNY
5. Yi Jianlian 15 million CNY
6. Feng Shanshan 14 million CNY
7. Sun Yang 11 million CNY

2016 10 athelets over 20 million CNY (0 soccer player and 1 basketball player)
1. Sun Yang 69 million CNY
2. Zhang Jike 60 million CNY
4. Feng Shanshan 33 million CNY
5. Yi Jianlian 32 million CNY
7. Lin Dan 30 million CNY
8. Zou Shiming 25 million CNY
10. Ding Junhui 20 million CNY

cache.php

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
I'm surprised that Ma Long doesn't make the cut, having the profile that he has. Maybe he should work on his public presence a bit ;)

IMO, that's not a surprise since the list covers all the sportsman in different sports. China has a lot of champions/gold medalists but not all of them will be a super star with commercial value and that is determined by the sport itself as well as the market. Table tennis doesn't have sport advantage compare to swimming football etc in China, so ZJK's commercial value mainly comes from the market.

Winning all the time in CNT becomes an obstacle to have a commercial value for tt players in China.

Last edited:
Reactions: ping fun
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Just the opposite, CNT has quite a few group commercials with long-lasting partners like Unicom (mobile carrier) and Wuliangye (white wine brand). And top players have individual commercials, the most favorite ones including Kong Linghui, Zhang Yining, Wang Liqin, etc. Better performance, more titles or more major titles, more commercials. If you pay attention to the sponsors/partners of the upcoming WTTC, the furniture provider TATA is Ding Ning's sponsor. And I discussed in another thread that Ma Long is sponsored by Audi.

I think the analyses of Sun Yang's income in this article is very thorough. It is no more than 5 million CNY to be a brand spokesman and there is overhead to the General Administration of Sports. It is clear that the commercials did not bring the most part of the income (only 8.6%) if his 69 million income is real. Can Sun Yang really earn 53 million from attending variety shows? To be frank, 1 million per episode on average at most.
http://sports.163.com/17/0523/11/CL492Q9L00058782.html

CTTSL pays well, not comparable to soccer and basketball of course. Joo Sae-hyuk earned 1 million CNY playing CTTSL in 2013. Ma Long is estimated to earn 3-4 million from CTTSL a year. BTW, Lin Dan's salary is 4 million CNY for playing league; however his club is currently out of money and he has not got paid after this season.

IMO, that's not a surprise since the list covers all the sportsman in different sports. China has a lot of champions/gold medalists but not all of them will be a super star with commercial value which is determined by the sport itself as well as the market. Table tennis doesn't have sport advantage compare to swimming football etc in China, so ZJK's commercial value mainly comes from the market in 2016.

Winning all the time in CNT becomes an obstacle to have a commercial value for tt players in China.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
Just the opposite, CNT has quite a few group commercials with long-lasting partners like Unicom (mobile carrier) and Wuliangye (white wine brand). And top players have individual commercials, the most favorite ones including Kong Linghui, Zhang Yining, Wang Liqin, etc. Better performance, more titles or more major titles, more commercials. If you pay attention to the sponsors/partners of the upcoming WTTC, the furniture provider TATA is Ding Ning's sponsor. And I discussed in another thread that Ma Long is sponsored by Audi.

I think the analyses of Sun Yang's income in this article is very thorough. It is no more than 5 million CNY to be a brand spokesman and there is overhead to the General Administration of Sports. It is clear that the commercials did not bring the most part of the income (only 8.6%) if his 69 million income is real. Can Sun Yang really earn 53 million from attending variety shows? To be frank, 1 million per episode on average at most.
http://sports.163.com/17/0523/11/CL492Q9L00058782.html

CTTSL pays well, not comparable to soccer and basketball of course. Joo Sae-hyuk earned 1 million CNY playing CTTSL in 2013. Ma Long is estimated to earn 3-4 million from CTTSL a year. BTW, Lin Dan's salary is 4 million CNY for playing league; however his club is currently out of money and he has not got paid after this season.

Well....as what I understand, even though tt popularity in China is getting low in the past few years, but CNT does have long term sponsorship partners. Audi is one of them. Audi always has dozens of silver/gold medalists from different sports as an "ambassador" in the Olympic year. The table tennis "ambassador" in 2012 is Wang Hao and in 2016 is Ma Long. They both are pretty much appointed by CNT to be Audi "ambassador". With that being said the sponsorship rewards might not be that much to the individual.

When we talk about an individual's commercial value with a brand endorsement, the endorsement contract needs to be newly signed and that person is the one who mainly endorse the brand if he is not the only one.

I've read the article and it questioned the truth of the 2016 wealth list. Related to this type of the ranking is always a controversial topic and one of reason is the calculation is not transparent but I believe that the individual ranking shouldn't changed that much.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Audi newly signed three people including Ma Long, a sci-fi writer, a racing driver and made commercials with them to promote on TV, online and in cinema. It is not a one-time title thing, however, the fee for that won't be too high, no more than 5 million.
Similarly, Li-Ning sponsors the whole CNT but only Wang Liqin, Ma Long, Li Xiaoxia and Ding Ning are current spokespeople and can have individual commercials. That being said, team sponsorship and individual sponsorship are different.

It does not bother me how much those athletes earn. But from the track record and lack of soccer player info, the numbers are not convincing.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
Audi newly signed three people including Ma Long, a sci-fi writer, a racing driver and made commercials with them to promote on TV, online and in cinema. It is not a one-time title thing, however, the fee for that won't be too high, no more than 5 million.
Similarly, Li-Ning sponsors the whole CNT but only Wang Liqin, Ma Long, Li Xiaoxia and Ding Ning are current spokespeople and can have individual commercials. That being said, team sponsorship and individual sponsorship are different.

It does not bother me how much those athletes earn. But from the track record and lack of soccer player info, the numbers are not convincing.

Where did you get $5mm for fees? I didn't see in the news and it's just ridiculous to say it without the data sources/news. Audi has been sponsoring CNT for a long time, not only for Ma Long. As I mentioned, 2012 tt "ambassador" is Wang Hao. 2016 tt "ambassadors" are Ma Long and LGL.

This thread's subject is the player's income and that's why I talk about individual's earning with his commercial value ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Find me Audi's individual commercial for Wang Hao in 2012 and find me how Audi sponsored the whole CNT team before 2016. In terms of individual commercials after 2016, Audi has already made 2 or 3 individual commercials for Ma Long, the writer and the racing driver, respectively, and Ma Long has been invited to TV talk shows sponsored by Audi. This cannot be a team sponsorship because Liu Guoliang (as you said, another Audi "ambassador" in CNT) does not have a new commercial and the writer does not have a team at all.
In contrary, the auto sponsor of Sun Yang Geely Auto does sponsor the whole swimming team. 361 degree sportswear is another Sun Yang's sponsor and again Sun Yang is not the only spokesman. Up to 5 million number per sponsorship is from the article I cited analyzing Sun Yang's income. My bad not making it clear, 5 million is before overhead/tax. If you believe the number of 6 million final income of sponsorship of Sun Yang (5 million from Geely Auto + 5 million from 361 degree + 1 million from a cell phone before overhead/tax), Ma Long will get something lower than that but still 7 digit (Audi + Li-Ning).

Where did you get $5mm for fees? I didn't see in the news and it's just ridiculous to say it without the data sources/news. Audi has been sponsoring CNT for a long time, not only for Ma Long. As I mentioned, 2012 tt "ambassador" is Wang Hao. 2016 tt "ambassadors" are Ma Long and LGL.

This thread's subject is the player's income and that's why I talk about individual's earning with his commercial value ...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
Find me Audi's individual commercial for Wang Hao in 2012 and find me how Audi sponsored the whole CNT team before 2016. In terms of individual commercials after 2016, Audi has already made 2 or 3 individual commercials for Ma Long, the writer and the racing driver, respectively, and Ma Long has been invited to TV talk shows sponsored by Audi. This cannot be a team sponsorship because Liu Guoliang (as you said, another Audi "ambassador" in CNT) does not have a new commercial and the writer does not have a team at all.
In contrary, the auto sponsor of Sun Yang Geely Auto does sponsor the whole swimming team. Up to 5 million number per sponsorship is from the article I cited analyzing Sun Yang's income. My bad not making it clear, 5 million is before overhead/tax.

If that's the case for Ma Long equivalent as $5mm sponsorship for swimming team, it will be news talked about Audi's sponsorships for Ma Long's with fees. It's meaningless to argue about $5mm fee that you assume he has earned but actually it's not existed. In China, whoever follows table tennis news knew that Audi is one of the long term sponsorship partners for CNT.

Anyway, have good day!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
That's hilarious. Are we looking at the same Sina Weibo? Did you see the recent posts of Audi on their Weibo accounts?

If that's the case for Ma Long equivalent as $5mm sponsorship for swimming team, it will be news talked about Audi's sponsorships for Ma Long's with fees. It's meaningless to argue about $5mm fee that you assume he has earned but actually it's not existed. In China, whoever follows table tennis news knew that Audi is one of the long term sponsorship partners for CNT.

Anyway, have good day!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
That's hilarious. Are we looking at the same Sina Weibo? Did you see the recent posts of Audi on their Weibo accounts?

I didn't pay much attention to Audi weibo and why should I? But I take a quick look at it, one of latest post is about they wish LGL and Ma Long leading the team to bring more glory, so......what's so special?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Yes. That is the exact example of how Audi is sponsoring these two guys -LGL and ML, not the whole team, not all players. You can take a look at how media like CCTV or Sina Sports report the same thing on Weibo, what wording they use and what hashtag they use and who they mention@. That's the basic lesson of Chinese social media. And Audi is working with Ma Long's fans for a charity project; if it is a team sponsorship then why don't they involve other players' fans?

I didn't pay much attention to Audi weibo and why should I? But I take a quick look at it, one of latest post is about they wish LGL and Ma Long leading the team to bring more glory, so......what's so special?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
Yes. That is the exact example of how Audi is sponsoring these two guys -LGL and ML, not the whole team, not all players. You can take a look at how media like CCTV or Sina Sports report the same thing on Weibo, what wording they use and what hashtag they use and who they mention@. That's the basic lesson of Chinese social media. And Audi is working with Ma Long's fans for a charity project; if it is a team sponsorship then why don't they involve other players' fans?

Honestly, that's no point to argue the way how sponsorship works between CNT and Audi. Since Audi is the sponsorship partner for CNT for years, it will not be considered as new wealth added to 2016 tt "ambassadors" themselves only, should be CNT instead. Even for CNT, Audi sponsorship is not a new wealth.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Come on, show me the evidence that Audi is the CNT sponsor for years. And tell me how players benefit from this sponsorship. I know it sounds silly to argue about this. But please show me the evidence first.

Honestly, that's no point to argue the way how sponsorship works between CNT and Audi. Since Audi is the sponsorship partner for CNT for years, it will not be considered as new wealth added to 2016 tt "ambassadors" themselves only, should be CNT instead. Even for CNT, Audi is not a new wealth.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
Come on, show me the evidence that Audi is the CNT sponsor for years. And tell me how players benefit from this sponsorship. I know it sounds silly to argue about this. But please show me the evidence first.

I should say Audi is a sponsor for many sports, CNT is just one of them...But Audi has put more focus on tt "ambassadors" in 2016 because tt is so popular during and after 2016 Olympic.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Audi has an official partnership with China Winter Olympic Games Center since 2015, sponsoring 5 teams including speed skating and figure skating. Audi has no partnership with China National Table Tennis team. Do you see the difference?

I should say Audi is a sponsor for many sports, CNT is just one of them...

Reactions: TTHopeful
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
Audi has an official partnership with China Winter Olympic Games Center since 2015, sponsoring 5 teams including speed skating and figure skating. Audi has no partnership with China National Table Tennis team. Do you see the difference?[/QUOT

Upon what Audi has sponsored so far for the sports teams and dozen of athletes, Audi sponsorship fees should be a huge difference between the teams and athletes individually. So I got that you think that Ma Long earned $5mm, right?....hahaha good luck to him..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Audi has an official partnership with China Winter Olympic Games Center since 2015, sponsoring 5 teams including speed skating and figure skating. Audi has no partnership with China National Table Tennis team. Do you see the difference?[/QUOT

Upon what Audi has sponsored so far for the sports teams and dozen of athletes, Audi sponsorship fees should be a huge difference between the teams and athletes individually. So I got that you think that Ma Long earned $5mm, right?....hahaha good luck to him..

Pity that there is no logic in your "conclusion". The fact is pretty obvious and what I talked about all have references. I don't think Ma Long got 5 million from Audi before overhead/tax but that 5 million number is an estimate for
a sponsorship fee based on previous Olympic Champs data points and used to estimate what Sun Yang got from Geely.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
okay, so Rain is just estimating, there is no further solid fact behind his number.

Its like saying Kobe Bryant got this from X vendor, so X player from baseball or another sport will get the same......
Pretty flaw I would say

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I'm surprised that Ma Long doesn't make the cut, having the profile that he has. Maybe he should work on his public presence a bit ;)

In fact I was chatting to some of the TPE senior coaches about "PR"
Ai is super good in this.

If you go back and check, when did Ai-Chiang make the announcement?
It was at the olympics

Planing, media teaser, and timing is all key to this.
Due to that, I can't disclose the figure, but one of the media and Ai's PR team signed a exclusive deal on the marriage.
Extra money for the couple

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016