• Wong ChunTing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kenta Matsudaira

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Results from for Day 6 (Sun 12 November 2017)

Men's Singles

Semi-finals:
Fan Zhendong (#1 seed) 3:4 Dimitrij Ovtcharov (#3) (11:13, 7:11, 11:7, 11:3, 9:11, 11:8, 13:15)
Timo Boll (#4) 0:4 Lee Sangsu (#14) (11:4, 11:9, 11:4, 11:9)

Final:
Dimitrij Ovtcharov (#3) 4:3 Timo Boll (#4) (9:11, 11:5, 11:9, 6:11, 11:7, 7:11, 11:6)

Women's Singles

Semi-finals:
Zhu Yuling (#1) 4:1 Kasumi Ishikawa (#3) (11:4, 12:10, 12:14, 11:5, 11:8)
Feng Yalan 2:4 Chen Meng (#2) (12:10, 6:11, 4:11, 11:6, 13:15, 5:11)

Final:
Zhu Yuling (#1) 3:4 Chen Meng (#2) (11:9, 11:8, 11:13, 11:9, 11:13, 9:11, 4:11)

Men's Doubles:

Final:
Jeoung Youngsik/Lee Sangsu (#3) 3:2 Tomokazu Harimoto/Yuto Kizukuri (8:11, 3:11, 11:5, 16:14, 11:6)

Women's Doubles:

Final:
Chen Szu-Yu/Cheng I-Ching (#6) 0:3 Hina Hayata/Miu Hirano (#5) (7:11, 8:11, 9:11)

Source: https://www.ittf.com/tournament/2738/2017/seamaster-2017-ittf-world-tour-platinum-german-open/

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
You are talking about practically every top player in the world.

Dima was so willing to improve that he changed his forehand rubber for a while, realized it wasn't the way to go and changed back. For someone who is willing to try anything to get better, it shows determination. You are just focusing on things that don't get to the heart of the work someone is putting into their game. Everyone has better composure when they win more.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Tomo is awesome, but he's hardly an innovator. His style is basically Timo Boll on steroids.
False. He isn't an innovator, but he is nothing like Boll. Just look at the backhands: Timo has a looping BH, Tomo has a driving BH. Timo spins everything, Tomo RIPs everything. I believe Timo has a better footwork, while Tomo plays in a more balanced way, without favouring FH or BH. Timo changes the pace more often, while Tomo likes to pressure his opponent with playing fast every ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
This is also the reason for Xu Xins injuries and the switch to a carbon blade. Ma Longs injuries might also come from these "spinsensitive" balls.

I know your points. The players are not physicists and apparently they judge from the trajectory of the ball flying - the trajectory of the new ball is different from the old one although they hit/spin the ball with the same power and same action.
Wang Hao said 20-25% more power are needed to spin the new ball to get the same effect of the old ball. They just need time to build up muscles and have new muscle memory.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Do you mean that just because AB isn't totally worthless he's good? :)

AB has to speak like he would speak to people who don't know TT. And he has to make a show. And it's not that easy to commentate well. You can speak more technically, but who don't play TT won't understand it well. The T2 commentator tries to 'give more insight' in the game, but he just says totally idiotic things, worse than saying nothing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Maybe AB should start educating the viewers more so they can enjoy the sport even more. Not once did AB mention that Fzd should play more shots to Dimas pockets or body, or create a play with going short since Fzd is slightly better in the short game, or making Dima move that big body around. Not once did AB tell the viewers that Fzd should get instructions from Wang Hao had Wang Hao made his homework to play more to Dimas fh. These are logical things to bring up when these players meet. I get pissed off by this lack of depth.

AB has to speak like he would speak to people who don't know TT. And he has to make a show. And it's not that easy to commentate well. You can speak more technically, but who don't play TT won't understand it well. The T2 commentator tries to 'give more insight' in the game, but he just says totally idiotic things, worse than saying nothing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Maybe AB should start educating the viewers more so they can enjoy the sport even more. Not once did AB mention that Fzd should play more shots to Dimas pockets or body, or create a play with going short since Fzd is slightly better in the short game, or making Dima move that big body around. Not once did AB tell the viewers that Fzd should get instructions from Wang Hao had Wang Hao made his homework to play more to Dimas fh. These are logical things to bring up when these players meet. I get pissed off by this lack of depth.
Yeah, it would be good to have more depth, but Adam is still a pretty good commentator most of the times. Actually, I've never heard about a great commentator. Such thing even exists? :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
We have a few in other sports but TT seems to need more candidates :)

Yeah, it would be good to have more depth, but Adam is still a pretty good commentator most of the times. Actually, I've never heard about a great commentator. Such thing even exists? :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
ittf2017.jpgSuch a pleasure to watch the highlights.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews

There is only one commentator who can surpass Adam Bobrov - the Ozzy Man - and truly explain the intricacies of TT to the great unwashed masses:

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Do you mean that just because AB isn't totally worthless he's good? :)

For me he is one of the best comentators ever. He shows the passion he tries to explain some of tt issues and do not go too far with explanation. Why because for someone who is advanced it is not necessary and for someone who is complete amateur it would be too much

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I feel AB is doing a very good job
It is not easy to express in English, as the words/sentence become very long and there is not much time to express.
In Chinese/Mandarin, it is easier

I agree the commentating depth is raised is better
But if it can't be explained properly in such little time, then maybe it shouldn't go in depth at all.

I enjoy Chinese commentator as it talks a lot more about strategy, and in the same time amateurs can learn "new strategy".

But again, 10 words in Chinese maybe require few sentences in English

Reactions: Astorix and vvk1
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Since the commentator comments seem to be front and center:

When I know the sport, I am just as happy without sportscasters comments.

In sports broadcasts from the US, like in football, basketball and baseball. Usually there are two commentators working as a team. You have the play by play announcer who calls out the action as it happens. And the the color commentator who gives more depth of knowledge.

Usually the play by play announcer does not need to have much more than a viewer’s knowledge and appreciation of the sport. But they have to know the names of the players to call things like, who has the ball. Or the amazing catch. Or the shot off the glass.

The color commentator is usually a guy with a deep understanding of the sport.

For instance, in football there was a long time where John Madden was the one of the most well known and liked sports commentators.

Examples of other great sports figures who went on to be famous color commentators are, Phil Rizutto, Bob Cousy (Koozie), Phil Simms, Troy Aikman, Joe Theismann etc.

Some of the color commentators would be very technical. Some would be sort of silly.

The ones who I liked best would be able to be technical when they wanted but would also be able to drift into being silly and having fun when it was clear that a game was no longer competitive.

Growing up watching sports with my father, he was always complaining about how bad the announcers were. It didn’t matter who they were. He didn’t like pretty much any of them. Any of them. Name one you think was great. I heard endless rants about what a lousy announcer the guy was.

The only announcer I can ever remember my father pretending he liked was Phil Simms. But I knew that was more because he liked the NY Giants and Simms had basically saved the team from years and decades of ineptitude. As an announcer he was kind of like listening to electronic announcements at an airport.

None of the guys my father hated were particularly bad. And the guy he claimed to like was, at best, kind of boring.

What am I saying with all this? The announcers aren’t really the problem. But it would be good if they could get one guy like Bobrow who makes things fun and one guy like Pruess who knows what he is talking about.

Without that, if the announcers bother you, then turn the sound down and watch the action.

We all know what is going on. The announcers aren’t really for most of the people who are posting here anyway.

I kind of like hearing announcers speaking in a language I don’t understand. You still can hear the raw emotion of the big points. The words don’t really matter so much.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
There is only one commentator who can surpass Adam Bobrov - the Ozzy Man - and truly explain the intricacies of TT to the great unwashed masses:

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Obviously Ozzy is the sought-after expert recommended to work with Adam. I love the technical rally-style description: "Now F&^k ya, Now F&^k ya, Now F*^k ya" That really worked for the action. Unfortunately, Adam would jump right in and the descriptives would escalate into xxx-rated yelling, reducing the crowd to hysterical laughing. Quite improper I'm sure. Then they could bring in Ian to restore the decorum of the British Museum.

And Tomo's blood-curdling yells could shut them all up into a dumbfounded silence, followed by some mumbled coughing, "uh, OK then, well, uh, hmm..."

Could have some Monty Python, Saturday Night Live skits going on.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
It just feels wrong when the viewer (in this case me) knows more about what's going on than the commentator. And I STILL don't care wtf the mascot is up to in the stands. AB, aka Mr Obvious, he could see a kid in the stands with an ice cream and he would exclaim "and there's a kid eating an ice cream in the audience!". He mentions the most apparent things. But if this is what the majority wants you can have him :) I'll do my own play-by-play from now on. At least I'll mention that Fzd just changed equipment, even went for a new bh rubber and it might effect his game somewhat.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I feel AB is doing a very good job
It is not easy to express in English, as the words/sentence become very long and there is not much time to express.
In Chinese/Mandarin, it is easier

I agree the commentating depth is raised is better
But if it can't be explained properly in such little time, then maybe it shouldn't go in depth at all.

I enjoy Chinese commentator as it talks a lot more about strategy, and in the same time amateurs can learn "new strategy".

But again, 10 words in Chinese maybe require few sentences in English

Actually English has higher information density than Mandarin (reference). Japanese has significantly lower information density than either, which is why Japanese people talk so fast.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Well, we all noticed that FZD changed his blade, but I think if AB does not know what FZD really uses (very likely a w968), better not bring it up. And even if he knows the answer, better not bring it up as FZD is signed by Stiga but not using Stiga blade.

It just feels wrong when the viewer (in this case me) knows more about what's going on than the commentator. And I STILL don't care wtf the mascot is up to in the stands. AB, aka Mr Obvious, he could see a kid in the stands with an ice cream and he would exclaim "and there's a kid eating an ice cream in the audience!". He mentions the most apparent things. But if this is what the majority wants you can have him :) I'll do my own play-by-play from now on. At least I'll mention that Fzd just changed equipment, even went for a new bh rubber and it might effect his game somewhat.