• Lin Gaoyuan

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Wong ChunTing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kenta Matsudaira

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
How many points did Dima gain with this victory? Is he the new world n.1 now?

BTW, I think Dima has grown up a lot. His style is still the same (a bit ugly to me), but I did see ton of improvement in terms of consistency and speed.
His way of playing is now a kind of mix between European and Chinese style, which seems to be quite effective.

Last edited:
Reactions: ping fun and yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Adams commentary is/was seriously irritating and biased. He kept talking about nonsense things like the mascot in the stands instead of dissecting the game thoroughly, which IS his job. He's this "surfer type dude" who always tries to be a funny person instead of actually providing much depth, only giving shallow observations that anyone can see.

I very much agree with you on this. I always hope that Richard Prause (former international player and German men's national team coach) is commentating as he always focuses on the play - explaining lots of technical and tactical aspects of the game in a clear, knowledgable and enthusiastic manner.

He actually did the first "block" of matches yesterday (doubles and MS round of 16), so anyone interested in insights from a top level coach should check those matches out .

I accept that Adam Bobrow is a more "colourful" and "entertaining" commentator, which might be better suited for a broader audience. I would however wish that the ITTF would hire co-commentators like Prause more often to supply Bobrow. That way we could have both expert (Prause) and colour commentary (Bobrow) and all the viewers should be happy?
True that.
As I mentioned in my other topic - Adam Bobrow is just a clown - as he demonstrated so many times already.
Also his viral videos tell that too.
Everytime I hear him talking sh*t, I just wish there were a possibility to take back these commentators from 2000s ..

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
I have slight feeling that Chuang has a chance against LIN ..
Probably he will still lose, but I think he has a chance.
As for Dima vs. Yan - I think Dima is finally ready for this match - as he is also ready for FZD.
I think at this tournament Dima can beat Fan.
For Timo - well .. Gauzy is his nemesis.. And Gauzy is playing so good.. it will be a very interresting and hard to call match.
Mizutani doesnt play well lately, I can see him losing.
I hope Freitas will give Xu Xin some pretty hard time ;-)

Chuang is very stedy and lately he had few great matches. I think if the match is tight Chuang can win it especially that LGY is not good at the ends. But somehow I think it can end 4:0 to LGY.
Dima should easily win against Yan An I do not think he will loose more then 2 games. But against FZD I doubt.
Mizutani had poor match against Steger but it is Mizutani who looses his concetration a lot. Watch his last match with Ovtcharov at t2apac especially 1 set - one of the best performance by Mizutani I ever seen.

I think except for Chuang I nailed it! ;-)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
True that.
As I mentioned in my other topic - Adam Bobrow is just a clown - as he demonstrated so many times already.
Everytime I hear him talking sh*t, I just wish there were a possibility to take back these commentators from 2000s ..

That is Matthew Syed. Former professional players, especially those who have been coaches, are a different level if they have the commentating ability.

This user has no status.
True that.
I would agree.
Sometimes could be ok to have fun while commenting, but it should be taken seriously majority of the time.

The good thing about Adam is that he is quite "social", so he could spread the word a bit more. And we all know, social channels cannot be forgotten in this era.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
I think Adam Bobrow does a good job. He might not be everyone's cup of tea but he does his homework very well, has background knowledge of both men and women players and maintains his energy (which is quite difficult if you consider how many hours you're on the microphone). For the masses, I think his commentary is great. If he and Prause or someone with a similar level of insight co-commentate, it's the perfect match. Players are not always great commentators as there is more to it than just having great insight.

I think I remember Achanta co-commentating with Bobrow during the China open in 2014. That combination worked out pretty well. Getting Waldner or Persson to co-commentate would be a dream come true, of course.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Finally had a chance to watch the epic battle. What I find the most fascinating is not just the fact that Dima won, but the way he won. Apart from being technically flawless, FZD is probably the most athletic and powerful player on the planet. Yet Dima had managed to overpower the bruteforcer with even greater amount of sheer power. Which is in a massive contrast with Timo's wins against LGY: play a soft ball now and then, mess up the timing, create chaos.

This user has no status.
Finally had a chance to watch the epic battle. What I find the most fascinating is not just the fact that Dima won, but the way he won. Apart from being technically flawless, FZD is probably the most athletic and powerful player on the planet. Yet Dima had managed to overpower the bruteforcer with even greater amount of sheer power. Which is in a massive contrast with Timo's wins against LGY: play a soft ball now and then, mess up the timing, create chaos.
Great analysis!
I totally agree. And I wouldn't be surprised to see Dima as world n.1 soon..

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
According to CNT, the formula of the DHS 40+ ball has been changed since Sep. The balls in Asian Cup, World Cup, German Open are different from those in Japan Open and China Open.

Interesting. The XCAG batch I had (pre-september) played well, the gross of post-september XHAGs were total duds, so different that I suspected them to be fakes. I just don’t know anymore now, but I’m certainly very disappointed with the recent D40+ balls I’ve played with. Throwing them out.

According to CNT, the formula of the DHS 40+ ball has been changed since Sep. The balls in Asian Cup, World Cup, German Open are different from those in Japan Open and China Open.

And it means that the ball is new for all players.

But I think that ITTF should not allow formula change of an official tournament ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I know the ball was new to everyone in Sept. But obviously the more the players play with a certain ball, the more they are adaptive to it; different players are affected differently (negatively or positively, and to different extent) according to their play style.
FZD complained that he was not used to the ball in Asian Cup when he played it for the first time but he felt much better in German Open when he played for the second time; he did not attribute his loss to DO because he did not get used to the ball and he admitted DO has improved.
ML did not practice with any ball for one week before leaving for World Cup due to his injuries. It was the first time he played the ball of new formula in World Cup. He did not attribute his loss to TB due to injuries (although Wang Hao did), and ML and WH both said ML did not get used to the new ball.
XX also played the new ball for the first time in German Open. And he said after the ball change, the opponent who he beat easily before was no longer easy to beat. And he thought the ball was good for European players.
In addition to these players, commentators in Chinese live streaming, from CNT coach (DN's coach Chen Bin) to some provincial team coaches who are former CNT players, all said the new ball is against players who heavily depend on spins and not fast; and the new ball is good for European players in general. They said CNT are trying to find the solutions (like changing equipment) to get the spins back (which means to get back to their familiar games). You can say they are all brainwashed because they cannot blame authority publicly but look at how CNT players missed so many shots they should not miss; something must have been changed.

And it means that the ball is new for all players.
But I think that ITTF should not allow formula change of an official tournament ball.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
How come DHS being a chinese company agree to produce a ball that is obviously counter-productive against the chinese players?

I know the ball was new to everyone in Sept. But obviously the more the players play with a certain ball, the more they are adaptive to it; different players are affected differently (negatively or positively, and to different extent) according to their play style.
FZD complained that he was not used to the ball in Asian Cup when he played it for the first time but he felt much better in German Open when he played for the second time; he did not attribute his loss to DO because he did not get used to the ball and he admitted DO has improved.
ML did not practice with any ball for one week before leaving for World Cup due to his injuries. It was the first time he played the ball of new formula in World Cup. He did not attribute his loss to TB due to injuries (although Wang Hao did), and ML and WH both said ML did not get used to the new ball.
XX also played the new ball for the first time in German Open. And he said after the ball change, the opponent who he beat easily before was no longer easy to beat. And he thought the ball was good for European players.
In addition to these players, commentators in Chinese live streaming, from CNT coach (DN's coach Chen Bin) to some provincial team coaches who are former CNT players, all said the new ball is against players who heavily depend on spins and not fast; and the new ball is good for European players in general. They said CNT are trying to find the solutions (like changing equipment) to get the spins back (which means to get back to their familiar games). You can say they are all brainwashed because they cannot blame authority publicly but look at how CNT players missed so many shots they should not miss; something must have been changed.

Reactions: langel

I like your post, but I don't think the way you do.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
DHS changed the ball material to ABS and kept changing formula because the older balls are prone to break. Don't you think the plastic ball is good for CNT in previous years? Take a look at Qatar Open this year when the plastic ball was used for ITTF tour for the last time and take a look at Japan Open then German Open. Most contenders are the same.

How come DHS being a chinese company agree to produce a ball that is obviously counter-productive against the chinese players?