Good Blade for MX-P

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
When I wrote ZOO in my long post that Carl liked, I really meant the ZJK (sorry - autocorrect).

According to Butterfly, the ZJK, TBS, TB-ALC, Viscaria and Kenta Matsudaira are all different takes on the same Koto-ALC plies (different handles mostly and maybe balance and some coating for the ALC).

Handle choice is VERY important - at least, it is not trivial for many people - so it is worth seeing which handle and blade balance you like best.

Like NL said, the main and maybe only difference between these blades are the handle size shape (not just the design). Beside their huge difference in price, the blades are all (roughly?) the same and play similarly, but the handle (since you have a large choice for this exact blade type) makes a huge difference. I knew I liked the way the Viscaria played, but I really dislike its large flares as it hits my palm, and I prefer ST handles in general, except they don't make it for the Viscaria, so I opted for the TB-ALC ST and I really enjoy is square handle, but I could have opted for the ZJK ALC ST and its round handle. Another exemple: 2 of my friends used to play with TB-ALC FL but they recently switched to Viscaria, and they like its larger FL handle more and the way it fits in their hand.

You basically have 9 choices of shape/size for the same blade:

Viscaria (FL) = ZJK ALC FL: 100 x 25 x 34 mm
TB-ALC FL: 100 x 24 x 34 mm
TBS FL: 101 x 24 x 34 mm
Kenta Matsudaira (FL): 100 x 23 x 34 mm

TB-ALC ST = TBS ST: Square 100 x 22 x 27.5 mm
ZJK ALC ST: Round 100 x 23 x 28 mm

TB-ALC AN: 100 x 24 x 34 mm
TBS AN: 101 x 24 x 34 mm
ZJK ALC AN: 100 x 24 x 32 mm

Or you could go for the Donic Ovtcharov True Carbon (much cheaper and very nice) or Tibhar Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon which are these brands' take on the same Koto-ALC plies and thickness.

Finally, remember to request the weight you want as it also makes a big difference. Keep in mind that MX-P is very heavy. I have MX-P Max unboosted on the FH & BH of all the blades I have listed on my profile, and each side cut on these 157 x 150 mm blades have consistently been around 47g each. So 2 rubbers at 47g each + 5g total of Butterfly glue (2 layers on each rubber) + 1g of edge tape has added 100g to each of my blades. I like my blades at around 87g so I reach 187g when glued with MX-P Max. For reference, Timo Boll's personal blades with T05 on both sides and god knows how many layers of glue (and booster?) typically weigh 190g as pictured by himself on a scale on his social media.

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I dont think Kenta blade is koto outer ply.

Can someone actually confirm this?

The TT Blades Composition Database does list the Kenta as a limba outer, unlike the other 4 which are for sure koto.

http://stervinou.net/ttbdb/liste.php

But Butterfly lists the Kenta with the same exact specs as the other 4... which I would trust first and foremost. It wouldn't have these same specs if the outer was limba, but hey they could also be wrong.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Can someone actually confirm this?

The TT Blades Composition Database does list the Kenta as a limba outer, unlike the other 4 which are for sure koto.

http://stervinou.net/ttbdb/liste.php

But Butterfly lists the Kenta with the same exact specs as the other 4... which I would trust first and foremost. It wouldn't have these same specs if the outer was limba, but hey they could also be wrong.

Look at the video of the blade and make up your own mind. I don't argue over facts - it is either koto or it is not, but I am not trusting that database over my eyes and the Butterfly spec chart.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
ok so last night at the club I tried this guy's ovtcharov true carbon. I have brand loyalty issues, does anyone know of any butterfly blades that have similar characteristics to that blade? Maybe with a tiny bit more flex?

Well, in BTY-land there's the Viscaria, Timo Boll Spirit, Timo Boll ALC, Zhang Jike ALC. Of the ones of these I ever held the TB ALC had the most flex, which still doesn't amount to all that much flex. My (Andro) Treiber K is very similar to the TB ALC I held, and I prefer the Treibers (thicker) FL handle substantially. (In ST I preferred the TB ALC slightly, but I still preferred TK FL to TB ST in the end.)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
ok so last night at the club I tried this guy's ovtcharov true carbon. I have brand loyalty issues, does anyone know of any butterfly blades that have similar characteristics to that blade? Maybe with a tiny bit more flex?
Brand loyalty issues? Man, you were playing with H3 and Clipper, now you will change to MX-P!
No offense, just sounds strange. Go to a TT store or to a distributor, try out the Butterfly ALC family members (Kenta/Timo/Viscaria/ZJK) and choose which has the most comfortable handle for you. These are VERY similar in their characteristics.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Brand loyalty issues? Man, you were playing with H3 and Clipper, now you will change to MX-P!
No offense, just sounds strange. Go to a TT store or to a distributor, try out the Butterfly ALC family members (Kenta/Timo/Viscaria/ZJK) and choose which has the most comfortable handle for you. These are VERY similar in their characteristics.

Also we've already listed all the Butterfly blades that are the same composition as the Ovtcharov True Carbon several times. You can't get any closer in characteristics than that or the Tibhar Drinkhall Powerspin! I don't know what else you're looking for???

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The true Carbon is arguably stiffer and less forgiving than the Butterfly ALCs (I used the true carbon for the last month - thought it was for me, but realized that it was a bit too fast for my style and if Lermanator wants a free TC to use, I can gladly give him one as I will be giving most of them away anyways).

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
The true Carbon is arguably stiffer and less forgiving than the Butterfly ALCs (I used the true carbon for the last month - thought it was for me, but realized that it was a bit too fast for my style and if Lermanator wants a free TC to use, I can gladly give him one as I will be giving most of them away anyways).

Do you have an extra one for me!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Absolutely!
Let me know if it's cheaper to send to the USA or France, how much and you're preferred method of payment (PayPal, Venmo, SquareCash...). Thank you!

IF you are in LA, I should be able to send it without a problem. I just hate the pain of international postage and filling out all those custom forms.

Send me a PM with your address in the US.