Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@ Musaab: I have not been on this thread in a long time. Seeing the comments from NL and NDH got me to read back through the thread to see how the dialogue progressed and to look at some of the video footage of you.

So I just want you to know that I see exactly what they are talking about, and I think you should consider trying to understand and follow what they are saying. They are giving you good info. It will help you develop faster if you follow their suggestions.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yes, but he is boosting heavily and using a Viscaria. I know how Musaab feels, it is when I play people like Leshinsky that I learn the limitations of taking strokes that you can't recover quickly enough from. Musaab can get away with it now at his current playing level but over time, it will catch up with him and he will have to shorten his stroke whether he likes it or not.

Also, in looking at the mechanics of Musaab's FH and how close to the body vs how far away, he is taking the ball, he is not doing something that actually duplicates the big strokes of some of the players he is thinking of. And there is too much wasted effort and not enough power transferred into the ball--whether it was translated into spin or speed--for the amount of effort made. That is just something that time grooves into your strokes, the efficiency that leads to more power with less effort.

So.....what you have already said. Especially the stuff about translating more of the energy from the stroke into spin.

H3 is also really not so good for the kinds of blocks Musaab is in the habit of falling back on when he is not ready for the ball to go to his FH.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Also, in looking at the mechanics of Musaab's FH and how close to the body vs how far away, he is taking the ball, he is not doing something that actually duplicates the big strokes of some of the players he is thinking of. And there is too much effort and not enough power into the ball--whether it was translated into spin or speed--for the amount of effort made. That is just something that time grooves into your strokes, the efficiency that leads to more power with less effort.

So.....what you have already said. Especially the stuff about translating more of the energy from the stroke into spin.

H3 is also really not so good for the kinds of blocks Musaab is in the habit of falling back on when he is not ready for the ball to go to his FH.
Yes, that was one of the reasons I stopped using Big Dipper - I used ALL+ blades, but the problem was that the rebound didn't let me block weak loops and I wasn't good enough to counterloop all the time.

The thing is that some Euro rubbers have strong catapult. That is obviously not what Musaab needs. But something with limited catapult on most strokes like the Evolution -S series or the old classical series I already listed (Hexer, Xplode, Genius) with some help but not too much on longer drives is what he needs. In any case, the focus should be on rotation.

I built my technique with Chinese rubbers too so I am not going to say Musaab is doing anything wrong, but like I said, I did it in part because no one explained to me that you are allowed and probably advised to miss the table or the net while testing where the right contact point on the ball was for the equipment you were using. If someone had explained this to me, I would learned to loop much earlier. The earlier one accepts that missing is part of the learning process, the quicker it takes to change.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I did it in part because no one explained to me that you are allowed and probably advised to miss the table or the net while testing where the right contact point on the ball was for the equipment you were using. If someone had explained this to me, I would learned to loop much earlier. The earlier one accepts that missing is part of the learning process, the quicker it takes to change.

THIS APPLIES TO LIFE AS WELL!

Mistakes/failures are only clues to help one's path to success. A mistake/failure is not the end all-be all.

My analogy for this is 'playing a new video game' ... most video games a player has 3 lives ... early on as the player is learning the new video game, they will die many, many times ... trial and error, memory develops, changes in moves/tactics/strategy tweaked the next time they play and sooner or later, the player 'gets good' at the video game and if they invest more time into it, they will master the game and play flawlessly without losing a single life.

I used to shoot pool with my TT crew when we needed a change of pace from TT. In the format of playing games with friends, you learn your own/their weaknesses, your own strengths/weaknesses. Then you get some time and a table to yourself and you just drill/practice. It's yin-yang - one needs to drill, but one also needs match situations to see if your drilling can come out during pressure/match situations.

Same with TT.

Good luck and have fun in your training Musaab ... and if we ever meet, you spot me 9 points, ok? :)

p.s. Musaab, from your post count, you are fairly new on the forum, not sure how long you lurked before you started posting. Perhaps you don't know some of the members yet, but NL has been dispensing advice freely and helped and continues to help TTDers. I believe NDH is relatively new, well at least to this thread, but if a moderator and experienced player like Carl says to give NextLevel and NDH's advice a serious go at, your game will improve by leaps and bounds!

Belated welcome to this thread Musaab and NDH!

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!
Thanks OSP! I’ve been around a while, but don’t find the time to post as much as I’d like. I’ll try and do more when it calls for it.

@NL - I’m 100% with you on Tenergy feeling softer. I think MX-S is the most “Chinese” Euro ESN rubber out there. Hard, spiny and really nice to play with aggressively.

@Carl - good to see you still bossing the forum. I remember talking about you and NL when I met up with Dan earlier this year. I believe the words “Pillars of the forum” were banded about

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Hello everyone, please give me some advices for improve my backhand top spin. The major thing is, I can't make enough confidence to play a backhand topspin in the game. If I get a ball in my backhand, I either go for backhand drive or turn and play forehand topspin.
Thanks

https://youtu.be/EiPgnkteO7o

Last edited:
Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hello everyone, please give me some advice for improve my backhand top spin. The major thing is I can't make enough confidence to play a backhand topspin in the game. If I get a ball in my backhand, I either go for backhand drive or turn and play forehand topspin.
Thanks

Point the racket more upwards at the end of the backswing and try to more aggressively hit the left side of the ball with your stroke. You might be struggling because under pressure, you don't expose enough of your racket to the ball to feel safe about the contact. The stroke looks fine in multiball but it needs to be seen in the matches where it fails for you to get good comments.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Wonderful observation from NL , the other thing I noticed is may be your left shoulder and arm is not relaxed ... you will know it better than us ... looked a little tight in the video ..
Point the racket more upwards at the end of the backswing and try to more aggressively hit the left side of the ball with your stroke. You might be struggling because under pressure, you don't expose enough of your racket to the ball to feel safe about the contact. The stroke looks fine in multiball but it needs to be seen in the matches where it fails for you to get good comments.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says what [IMG]
@Hridoy

You're a lot better than I am so I can't really give you advice or solutions, but I noticed while watching that it looks like you're a bit stuck leaning to the side and tensing your shoulders and raising them while you hit the ball. It looked a bit awkward to me so I'm pointing it out. I don't know if it's bad or good or what but I saw it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hello everyone, please give me some advice for improve my backhand top spin. The major thing is I can't make enough confidence to play a backhand topspin in the game. If I get a ball in my backhand, I either go for backhand drive or turn and play forehand topspin.
Thanks

The ready position you return to looks very different from how you would set up for forehand. But it might be the same. Just make sure the starting position is similar or you will be rushed in transition.

Reactions: confiscate
This user has no status.
oh wow!

I took 4 years of Japanese in high school, and I took Japanese last semester in college. I'd be glad to help translate if there's a need.

to answer another one of your posts (cannot find it)
the funny expression that we hear a lot in TT at the amateur level in Japan is "ラッキ!!!" = LUCKY !!!
which is how to celebrate a net or edge ball, or a stupid miss from the opponent ....

It should come out heartfully with joy, but quickly followed with hypocrisy by a raising a hand saying kind of "sorry mate !!" or a slight excuse bow...

Reactions: songdavid98
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Got back from US Open Thursday PM. At breakfast with a former US National Player (Mas) - (HUGE MISTAKE, not eating, but the spinach eggs sausage were poisoned)

Drive was 1000 KM, I drove straight, stopping for fuel only once. Stopped by the Chinese club, had a 30 minute hit not so intense. I played single and my two friends played doubles side for practice. By end of 30 minutes, I called it quits, was really sick. Struggled the 45 minute ride home. Brought suitcase inside and went to bathroom.

Exploded fierce wet stools into pot, suddenly got nauseous, stood up, tried to turn around, couldn't make it in time. Wretched 5 times real fierce, one of them my tail end exploded while standing and retching missing the pot more than landing - more wet stools flew onto wall, floor, self, carpet. Wife is pissed.

By the time the emergency over, I was in pretty bad shape. The sickness - severe, but when you mess up a Korean's house like that - that is warfare, which I was in no shape t fight.

Showered, Went to bed, woke up in morning to discover I had another bout of talking through my ass, here we go again with wife.

Removing all my snot slowly, will get over it in a few days. Upper lungs are in bad snot shape.

Doing a green tea ginger tea detox, getting rid of buckets of snot and the tea has stabilized me. Will try to get light piece of bread butter tomorrow and start the vita C powder treatment.

Bad timing to get this bad bacteria and virus attack, but I was playing and walking around venue for 14-15 hours a day, prolly walked 15-20 km a day in that huge venue, so the ingredients were there, that demand for 4 days straight would strain anyone's immune system.

I expect to be walking around half-power by Sunday, worst is past.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Got back from US Open Thursday PM. At breakfast with a former US National Player (Mas) - (HUGE MISTAKE, not eating, but the spinach eggs sausage were poisoned)

Drive was 1000 KM, I drove straight, stopping for fuel only once. Stopped by the Chinese club, had a 30 minute hit not so intense. I played single and my two friends played doubles side for practice. By end of 30 minutes, I called it quits, was really sick. Struggled the 45 minute ride home. Brought suitcase inside and went to bathroom.

Exploded fierce wet stools into pot, suddenly got nauseous, stood up, tried to turn around, couldn't make it in time. Wretched 5 times real fierce, one of them my tail end exploded while standing and retching missing the pot more than landing - more wet stools flew onto wall, floor, self, carpet. Wife is pissed.

By the time the emergency over, I was in pretty bad shape. The sickness - severe, but when you mess up a Korean's house like that - that is warfare, which I was in no shape t fight.

Showered, Went to bed, woke up in morning to discover I had another bout of talking through my ass, here we go again with wife.

Removing all my snot slowly, will get over it in a few days. Upper lungs are in bad snot shape.

Doing a green tea ginger tea detox, getting rid of buckets of snot and the tea has stabilized me. Will try to get light piece of bread butter tomorrow and start the vita C powder treatment.

Bad timing to get this bad bacteria and virus attack, but I was playing and walking around venue for 14-15 hours a day, prolly walked 15-20 km a day in that huge venue, so the ingredients were there, that demand for 4 days straight would strain anyone's immune system.

Could you be more graphic please? LOL!!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
What is the "Chinese club"? Is it in Sac? Because I am curious.

Dude why did you play after US Open + a long drive? Should have just went straight home and hit the bed

LOL your wife made you clean up even though you were sick? Would have been faster if she did it right away because she was not sick. Maybe next time she is sick you can take care of her???? Beats cleaning up when you are in a coma

Reactions: NextLevel