Blade and Rubber recommendations for Intermediate Offensive player?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Sorry to chime in again with this dominus, but your technique is at such a low level that what you said has absolutely no meaning. This is why it is suspect that you are trying to give advice about equipment to players who are much higher level than you. It just makes no sense.

A player can buy a lot of rackets and simply not have the tools to know what is good or not good about any of them.
There is no need to be Ma Long to difference between a rubber from other, just comparing with a +/- brushing effort, a soft brush and a hard brush on 2 rubbers and anyone can know the quantity of spin, and the possible behavior, no need a table or net, just 2 hands and 2 rubbers sticked in the same blade, I'm still waiting your footage buddy.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There is no need to be Ma Long to difference between a rubber from other, just comparing with a +/- brushing effort, a soft brush and a hard brush on 2 rubbers and anyone can know the quantity of spin, and the possible behavior, no need a table or net, just 2 hands and 2 rubbers sticked in the same blade, I'm still waiting your footage buddy.

The blind leading the blind. What someone doesn't know is interesting. And when someone is too low a level to know what they don't know, it is entertaining.

There is footage of me all over this forum from years ago. :) You just haven't been around long enough.

But you could ask NextLevel or Der_Echte if there is footage of me. :)

Reactions: thomas.pong
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Osp virtuoso + vega eu even df version wont play well, sorry. It shows yall dont know about equipment after 6 pages :v

Explain why you think a Virtuoso doesn't work with Vega rubbers.

In my experience, different rubbers feel different. Different blades feel different. One blade might feel one way with one set of rubbers and might feel a little different with different rubbers. But the blade does what it does. And the rubbers do what they do.

If you try a blade with one set of rubbers and get used to it, and then change to a different set of rubbers, things will feel different. But the rubber and wood will not perform differently. They will simply feel different.

So, a denser sponge on a vibrant wood will make the wood feel less vibrant. A sponge that allows you to feel more on a blade that allows you to feel more, for some will feel great and for others will not. But the rubber still does what it does and so does the blade.

If you take your time to adjust to any given setup, you will become used to it and adapt to what that setup can give you. Unless the setup is simply too fast for your current technique. And if that is the case, the setup will slow your progress and cause you to compromise your strokes.

But I would like to hear how Vega + Virtuoso does not work. Because it sounds like an interesting subject.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
Osp virtuoso + vega eu even df version wont play well, sorry. It shows yall dont know about equipment after 6 pages :v
why is that?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The blind leading the blind. What someone doesn't know is interesting. And when someone is too low a level to know what they don't know, it is entertaining.

There is footage of me all over this forum from years ago. :) You just haven't been around long enough.

Here is me self hitting to show someone on the forum a way to practice self hitting. The person was trying to self hit with one bounce from the middle of the table. I showed, 2 bounces from the BH side works better:

NextLevel has video footage of a doubles match where I go around the net on Matt Hetherington on his channel. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017

I would love you post your footage, it's interesting but talk about TT, but don't want show your playing, years ago Waldner was N°1, but not today.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I would love you post your footage, it's interesting but talk about TT, but don't want show your playing, years ago Waldner was N°1, but not today.

Here, warming up a few years ago. Find footage where you are hitting with someone your level where any rally is close to as long as the average length in this video.

Also, try the self hitting exercise. Lets see what you look like doing that. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Here, warming up a few years ago. Find footage where you are hitting with someone your level where any rally is close to as long as the average length in this video.

Also, try the self hitting exercise. Lets see what you look like doing that. :)
This vid was 2 years ago, would like to see a fresh footage, hoping don't trying to kill the cameraman :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Sorry to chime in on my favourite subject..... But is there actual footage of @dominus playing?

Sure. That is why I have some idea of his level:

Shadow strokes:

Actual play:

But it looks like he has removed the videos of him being fed multiball where the feed is slow and easy and intended to make it so he can get every ball on the table and how, back when it was filmed, he was missing the table 75% of the time and missing the ball completely on at least 1 in every 10.

I really have nothing against someone who is learning and wanting to improve. But sometimes there are these characters who think they actually know what they are talking about and it is sort of unfortunate that they don't realize that they there are giant pieces of information or technique that they are missing.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Oh, it is interesting, the shadow stroke video which was up an hour ago, has now been taken down. :)

It was the best one. There is no way someone could hit a ball at all the way dominus was doing shadow strokes.

And, sorry, I really did not want to make this about dominus. He as already done that to soooo many threads. But when someone really does not know what they are doing and does not know they don't know and is trying to give advice but is continually giving advice that is suspect or worse, it is worth stating the obvious.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Sure. That is why I have some idea of his level:

Shadow strokes:

Actual play:

But it looks like he has removed the videos of him being fed multiball where the feed is slow and easy and intended to make it so he can get every ball on the table and how, back when it was filmed, he was missing the table 75% of the time and missing the ball completely on at least 1 in every 10.

I really have nothing against someone who is learning and wanting to improve. But sometimes there are these characters who think they actually know what they are talking about and it is sort of unfortunate that they don't realize that they there are giant pieces of information or technique that they are missing.
Thanks to link an old vid, because I'll see the growing in my improvement strokes, that vid, was made when I was studying at university, a few years ago and I just met the TT as sport.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Here is me self hitting to show someone on the forum a way to practice self hitting. The person was trying to self hit with one bounce from the middle of the table. I showed, 2 bounces from the BH side works better:

NextLevel has video footage of a doubles match where I go around the net on Matt Hetherington on his channel. :)
That's a good vid but a hitting is not a brushing, nice strokes by the way, compact side hitting

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hi @dominus - Are the playing videos old as well? They were uploaded last summer?

I've always been someone who has said that there should be video of yourself playing before offering advice.

But to add to that, you also need to be able to offer advice suitable to your level.

There are so many intricacies and little bits of feeling that you can't expect to learn from playing for a short time - Even if you feel you are an "EJ" - It's far more damaging to offer your advice to someone, when it is coming from a place that can't fully understand the equipment.

To then argue with experienced players (when there is video evidence of them playing), because you "think" you are right, undermines any opinion you end up putting forward.

I think it's great you want to learn, and to help and improve (both others and yourself).

I think you should certainly offer your opinion based on your level, but perhaps it's best not to disagree with numerous experienced players over something you haven't tried (Karis for example).

I haven't tried Karis, so I can't comment - It could be the best thing ever and an absolute bargain at $50 - Or it could be the single worst rubber ever invented.

I've only heard good things, so I know it isn't the latter - But I still wouldn't recommend it to anyone because I haven't used it myself.

Keep playing, keep improving, and keep tracking your progress through videos.

When you look back at the videos posted above, you'll be proud of how far you've come.

But don't argue with far better and far more experienced players ;)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks to link an old vid, because I'll see the growing in my improvement strokes, that vid, was made when I was studying at university, a few years ago and I just met the TT as sport.

It is good they are back up. On YouTube the dates when you posted are tagged on the video. The shadow strokes was:

March 2018

The other three videos were:

July 2017

So none of those videos are more than 13 months old. And I do remember when you posted them.

But I was trying to find the more recent videos of you training with the coach. There were a few that were after the shadow stroke video. And they were better. You have improved. Which is a good thing. But what happened to them? Why don't you post those for now while you try and get new footage?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi @dominus - Are the playing videos old as well? They were uploaded last summer?

I've always been someone who has said that there should be video of yourself playing before offering advice.

But to add to that, you also need to be able to offer advice suitable to your level.

There are so many intricacies and little bits of feeling that you can't expect to learn from playing for a short time - Even if you feel you are an "EJ" - It's far more damaging to offer your advice to someone, when it is coming from a place that can't fully understand the equipment.

To then argue with experienced players (when there is video evidence of them playing), because you "think" you are right, undermines any opinion you end up putting forward.

I think it's great you want to learn, and to help and improve (both others and yourself).

I think you should certainly offer your opinion based on your level, but perhaps it's best not to disagree with numerous experienced players over something you haven't tried (Karis for example).

I haven't tried Karis, so I can't comment - It could be the best thing ever and an absolute bargain at $50 - Or it could be the single worst rubber ever invented.

I've only heard good things, so I know it isn't the latter - But I still wouldn't recommend it to anyone because I haven't used it myself.

Keep playing, keep improving, and keep tracking your progress through videos.

When you look back at the videos posted above, you'll be proud of how far you've come.

But don't argue with far better and far more experienced players ;)

Great post. Thanks. This is explained excellently.