Is ma long the GOAT ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
True NL but its fun as long as the people arguing are aware that is just not a serious debate and don't try to impose their opinions on others ... at the end of they this whole is thing is "IMO" and everyone has a an ... :D ...

But it stops being fun when you see otherwise perfectly rational people losing their heads just because they are passionate fan of so and so ... fan .. fandom is all good till it becomes fanaticism .. thats when it becomes dangerous or "not fun" .. depending on what topic it is ...

Agree 100%.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
I sympathize with Rainnever when she said she was offended by people who suspected her of being ML's fan. I am actually ZJK fan when he was in his prime and won the Grand Slam. I like his charisma/looks and showtime attitude more than his skills, though, because he lost to too many non-Chinese opponents.

I wrote such set of rules just for fun because people are too serious here. In Nobel prizes there are a lot of arguments to certain winners, especially Peace. So we can see there will be no satisfactory answer who the GOAT is since it is such a broad and controversial subject. Someone here even said voting is not perfect because democracy is not perfect. Well ... you know ... such type of folks who have never been in both democracy/dictatorship system to appreciate human rights and the relative happiness then what could I say! Just can't convince him! We come here for fun and this topic is purely for fun purpose and I hope everyone gets it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I understand that these nuances can sway opinions in either direction. Just as you theorize about ZJK and injuries and what could've been I choose to theorize that ML wasn't ready mentally to beat WH in WTTC, but he was ready to beat him in other tournaments. ML felt the pressure in WTTC and played more relaxed in other matches against WH. Someone could say that WH played more relaxed in WTTC but is that really plausible. I don't believe so. ZJK decline is to be taken seriously, as longevity is also a factor for being considered the GOAT.

I'm gonna give you an example from another favorite sport of mine, icehockey.
I would love to rightfully claim that my favorite hockey player Mario Lemieux is the GOAT but that would be incorrect. Why? He didn't play enough games, win enough cups and collect enough points. He's the single greatest talent and player that ever lived but his injuries and other ailments hampered his longevity and impact. Even Gretzky thinks Mario is the best ever, but Gretzky hold almost every record.

Everyone plays with the same balls, if Ma Long was the one who invented them it would be a case for argument against him. Everyone gets the same amount of time with the same balls. There's always gonna be equipment that works better and worse for some.

I agree that ZJK beating WH 2012 is a bigger accomplishment than ML's win over ZJK in 2016.

That you can't even restate my argument shows the problem. My argument is that Ma Long is the GOAT, but that I can understand why given ZJK's injuries and decline and Ma Long's poor record against Wang Hao at the big events where everyone is supposed to peak and bring their best game may give some people pause. The changes to the plastic ball also may give pause. There are also no similarly great players of Ma Long's generation in China currently playing given ZJK's decline which is not Ma Long's fault.

Of course you can consider that that version of Ma Long wasn't mature enough. But you have to remember that many of his best achievements also occurred during that time (the match streak, some #1 rankings etc.) So it is all a matter of how you weight the eye test vs how you want to weight pure numbers. All in all, I give it to Ma Long easily. But if someone says the competition now is not as clearly strong as the competition in the early 2010s when he was struggling, or that the plastic ball era is when his greatness began, I don't overweight those things, but I understand them. I consider the ball they used for the 2015 WTTC and 2016 Olympics to be an egg. But for me, given Ma Long's body of work and his ability to win all the titles, I still give it to him. But if someone raises the argument of comparing eras or peak form, I understand their issue. I would also argue that the ITTF rule changes may have denied him an Olympic singles gold in 2012. But this is all conjecture, and we don't have time machines.

Maybe you consider these nuances unimportant. I just try to understand them. I know some people think ZJK beating WH in 2012 is the same as ML beating ZJK in 2016. But I remember the matches, I watched them live, and for me, it is not even in the same galaxy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
If Ma Long is not the GOAT, then who is and why?

I sympathize with Rainnever when she said she was offended by people who suspected her of being ML's fan. I am actually ZJK fan when he was in his prime and won the Grand Slam. I like his charisma/looks and showtime attitude more than his skills, though, because he lost to too many non-Chinese opponents.

I wrote such set of rules just for fun because people are too serious here. In Nobel prizes there are a lot of arguments to certain winners, especially Peace. So we can see there will be no satisfactory answer who the GOAT is since it is such a broad and controversial subject. Someone here even said voting is not perfect because democracy is not perfect. Well ... you know ... such type of folks who have never been in both democracy/dictatorship system to appreciate human rights and the relative happiness then what could I say! Just can't convince him! We come here for fun and this topic is purely for fun purpose and I hope everyone gets it.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Well ... you know ... such type of folks who have never been in both democracy/dictatorship system to appreciate human rights and the relative happiness then what could I say! Just can't convince him! We come here for fun and this topic is purely for fun purpose and I hope everyone gets it.
Why do you think I know so much about the US? Why do you think I know so much about China?

You come here for fun? More like smearing China and tarnishing the US image from what I've seen.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
No one is GOAT.
Or every one is GOAT. (Although I don't see LGL nominated, the only penholder GS winner while MLin and WH were discussed a lot.)
I guess this can settle many people in this thread.

I do feel surprised that a hardcore Roger Federer fan says Roger Federer is not GOAT in tennis. I know there are debates, maybe 2 more candidates involved. But from an outsider view, more titles, more #1 ranking, why is not him? Because of poorer h2h against certain players?
Put tennis aside, is there any badminton fan or Lin Dan fan here, thinking Lin Dan not GOAT in badminton? I really want to know why.

Many say they don't care if there's GOAT in TT and don't care who is (are) and they spent a good time explaining why there shouldn't be or who shouldn't be (including myself, I insist only 2 candidates, JW and ML). I have a quick question for the senior members here, was there such debate after 2012 OG or 2013 WTTC? If yes, what's the general idea by then? If not, why?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Lin Dan is the GOAT of badminton and Federer of tennis, yes. To be the GOAT doesn't mean to be invincible :)

No one is GOAT.
Or every one is GOAT. (Although I don't see LGL nominated, the only penholder GS winner while MLin and WH were discussed a lot.)

I do feel surprised that a hardcore Roger Federer fan says Roger Federer is not GOAT in tennis. I know there are debates, maybe 2 more candidates involved. But from an outsider view, more titles, more #1 ranking, why is not him? Because of poorer h2h against certain players?
Put tennis aside, is there any badminton fan or Lin Dan fan here, thinking Lin Dan not GOAT in badminton? I really want to know why.

Many say they don't care if there's GOAT in TT and don't care who is (are) and they spent a good time explaining why there shouldn't be or who shouldn't be (including myself, I insist only 2 candidates, JW and ML). I have a quick question for the senior members here, was there such debate after 2012 OG or 2013 WTTC? If yes, what's the general idea by then? If not, why?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
to answer your question on why a hardcore Federer fan says that even his GOAT -ness can be questioned :

1. The only criteria where Roger wins unquestionably is the how beautiful his game is .. which is the same criteria that RidtheKid is bringing up again again to defend Ma Long is the GOAT ... yes in only and only in terms of beautiful form and anticipation you can argue that about Ma Long and Roger .. .but again some would argue Waldner had better anticipation and understanding of the game than Ma Long .. so even that falls flat on face of that argument ...

2. Apart from #1 , Roger has worse head to head against Djokovic and Nadal .. and now Thiem..

3. I doubt Roger would have won the sole French Open he did if a certain Mr. Soderling had not taken care of business vs Nadal ...

4. Its very likely , soon Djoker would take over the lead in number of Grand Slams ... then his fans will argue that he is the GOAT ...

5. Coming up Roger was not able to beat Sampras till his decline started ...

6. Other than all that nobody has a better Grand Slams record than Mr. Rod Lever ...

the list goes on and on ... so you can only claim that nobody has in his era , he was the best player in the world and he has set a new standard in Men's tennis which others are now following ...

There are a lot of criteria one can argue whenever you claim somebody is the GOAT ... so it will all be controversial my friend ... so for the last time ... there is no GOAT !

Pardon my digression ... but somehow I feel this kind of fanaticism is deep rooted in human nature ... its the easier way out .. rather than rationally analyzing and accepting the strengths and weaknesses of somebody or something you like its always easier to think in black and white .. this guys is the GOAT .. is somehow similar , may be not exactly but similar in nature , to "my culture is the best", "my religion is the truest" and "my people are the most friendly" ... etc. ... this is the due to our inherent laziness of analytical mindset ... its easier to think in terms of absolutes and suspend judgement ... because you need to do less thinking ... at the end of the day there is no absolute its all relative ... its relative to the time and space you are , your life experiences and how you have been affected by it ...

I will tell you guys a story .. growing up in India ... we were all cricket fans .. but in the 90s suddenly this betting scandal came out and pretty much every player or cricketing idol was found to be somehow or the other other involved in it ... imagine the disillusion and disappointment that followed ... so I feel its much better to take your idols with a pinch of salt , accept they are human and there always will be somebody greater and better in something ... its true about anything in life .. .

No one is GOAT.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Why do you keep misinterpreting my posts (twisting my words)? I start to find it insulting.

Ma Long is the GOAT because he's winning, highest win % ever in TT. That's what TT is about. Not is he plays beautifully. It's an added bonus.

I'd love for someone to prove me wrong, but no one has even tried. You guys are just trying to find faults in Ma Long being the GOAT. I ask again: who is the GOAT if you choose?

to answer your question on why a hardcore Federer fan says that even his GOAT -ness can be questioned :

1. The only criteria where Roger wins unquestionably is the how beautiful his game is .. which is the same criteria that RidtheKid is bringing up again again to defend Ma Long is the GOAT ... yes in only and only in terms of beautiful form and anticipation you can argue that about Ma Long and Roger .. .but again some would argue Waldner had better anticipation and understanding of the game than Ma Long .. so even that falls flat on face of that argument ...

2. Apart from #1 , Roger has worse head to head against Djokovic and Nadal .. and now Thiem..

3. I doubt Roger would have won the sole French Open he did if a certain Mr. Soderling had not taken care of business vs Nadal ...

4. Its very likely , soon Djoker would take over the lead in number of Grand Slams ... then his fans will argue that he is the GOAT ...

5. Coming up Roger was not able to beat Sampras till his decline started ...

6. Other than all that nobody has a better Grand Slams record than Mr. Rod Lever ...

the list goes on and on ... so you can only claim that nobody has in his era , he was the best player in the world and he has set a new standard in Men's tennis which others are now following ...

There are a lot of criteria one can argue whenever you claim somebody is the GOAT ... so it will all be controversial my friend ... so for the last time ... there is no GOAT !

Pardon my digression ... but somehow I feel this kind of fanaticism is deep rooted in human nature ... its the easier way out .. rather than rationally analyzing and accepting the strengths and weaknesses of somebody or something you like its always easier to think in black and white .. this guys is the GOAT .. is somehow similar , may be not exactly but similar in nature , to "my culture is the best", "my religion is the truest" and "my people are the most friendly" ... etc. ... this is the due to our inherent laziness of analytical mindset ... its easier to think in terms of absolutes and suspend judgement ... because you need to do less thinking ... at the end of the day there is no absolute its all relative ... its relative to the time and space you are , your life experiences and how you have been affected by it ...

I will tell you guys a story .. growing up in India ... we were all cricket fans .. but in the 90s suddenly this betting scandal came out and pretty much every player or cricketing idol was found to be somehow or the other other involved in it ... imagine the disillusion and disappointment that followed ... so I feel its much better to take your idols with a pinch of salt , accept they are human and there always will be somebody greater and better in something ... its true about anything in life .. .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
My apologies RidTheKid... I had no intention of insulting you ... have a good weekend ! .. peace !
Why do you keep misinterpreting my posts (twisting my words)? I start to find it insulting.

Ma Long is the GOAT because he's winning, highest win % ever in TT. That's what TT is about. Not is he plays beautifully. It's an added bonus.

I'd love for someone to prove me wrong, but no one has even tried. You guys are just trying to find faults in Ma Long being the GOAT. I ask again: who is the GOAT if you choose?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Well let's make a case for prime Wang Liqin or Zhang Jike. They won WTTC champs in the cell ball era in field in which Ma Long participated. Ma Long won his with plastic. Therefore I take those 2 over Ma Long because I don't consider plastic results on the same level. They also beat their peers to win those medals.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
Why do you think I know so much about the US? Why do you think I know so much about China?

You come here for fun? More like smearing China and tarnishing the US image from what I've seen.

For sure you are not the one who escaped a dictatorship system to live in a democracy country. For sure you are the one you are blessed by the system that you currently reside in. For sure you never had to spend any hardship earning $3/hr to survive while learning to adapt to a completely strange environment. For sure you will never understand!

For sure I do not need to smear/tarnish China image. It is what it is.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
No one is GOAT.

In tennis, there are a lot of changing historical criteria (Australian Open was not always a well regarded slam, and number of slam titles were not a measuring stick till after Sampras retired). Federer is great, but Nadal and Djokovic have arguments, from H2H to versatility or surface specific dominance, especially Djokovic. And all the players are still playing so their numbers are evolving. And as ttmonster pointed out, Rod Laver has his own argument having won the grand slam twice. Djokovic has held all four titles at the same time but not in the same calendar year.

The thing about numbers of wins etc. is that they are sometimes determined by the quality of your competition. This is what the article zeio posted was pointing out - if Nadal didn't play, Federer would have more French Open titles. That is how you know two great players are playing at the same time. In tennis, there were four such players at once (Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, Murray) and for me, the fact that Djokovic was the best when all 4 were at a decent level is the reason why I support him. I also like that Djokovic is the only player who has won every single Masters 1000 title, which is the level of tournaments below the majors.

But I can see why people pick Federer. I don't fully get Nadal, but I can see why people might pick him just with the eye test - he is also hurt by the fact that there are fewer tournaments on his favorite surface - if more tennis was played on clay, he would have more titles.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews

No GOAT but if we have to choose some one it must be Zhang jike ... Why ??? Because he won his grand slam in just 445 days beating brother Wang hao while Brother Ma long was fighting with his mental problems .. !! who did it before or will do it . Fan zhendong ?? No !! the time of breaking the record has past for him . I just see one candidate to break this legendary record and he is no one but .. Harimoto if he finds his rhythm and many other ifs .

This topic was really attractive and took my time at my work reading all the members opinions . Rid thekid to be honest there is no GOAT in TT . Ofcourse you can have your opinion with your factors as others have but you see we don't have any standard form or rule for choosing the G.O.A.T .

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Wang Liqin is a good candidate but he's missing the OG in singles. Why do you value the cell ball era higher? It was easier for asian players (smaller players generally) to dominate with that ball. Much harder with the plastic ball since it demands more of the physique to get power and spin. I actually think the plastic ball is another point for Ma Long seeing how hard he must've worked out to get that power with the plastic ball.

One of the best matches ever played with two guys who really wanted it. Cell ball era ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByUX0mOVjwg

Well let's make a case for prime Wang Liqin or Zhang Jike. They won WTTC champs in the cell ball era in field in which Ma Long participated. Ma Long won his with plastic. Therefore I take those 2 over Ma Long because I don't consider plastic results on the same level. They also beat their peers to win those medals.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews

Stated before, but repeated here: it's a loaded question. "Are you still beating your wife?"

That question has an implicit assumption. To accept the question means to accept its premise, which is that there actually is a (note: singular) GOAT.

I don't accept that premise. I think it's a flawed question, which should be recognized as such and cast aside. The answer to a flawed question is "I cannot answer this".

And if you don't well, then — do you deny that you're still beating your wife? If so, good, but shame on you: you were a wifebeater. When did you stop? If not, shame on you. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Haha I get your thought process and I don't have a wife ;) Maybe a GOAT can't be determined, maybe it can happen in the future.

Stated before, but repeated here: it's a loaded question. "Are you still beating your wife?"

That question has an implicit assumption. To accept the question means to accept its premise, which is that there actually is a (note: singular) GOAT.

I don't accept that premise. I think it's a flawed question, which should be recognized as such and cast aside. The answer to a flawed question is "I cannot answer this".

And if you don't well, then — do you deny that you're still beating your wife? If so, good, but shame on you: you were a wifebeater. When did you stop? If not, shame on you. :)