After how many layers of booster does it become detrimental?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Let's say you are boosting a Hurricane 3 40d. I assume that after a certain amount of booster layers, there is no longer a positive benefit.

After how many layers of booster does the incremental benefit become basically zero?

After how many layers of booster does the incremental effect become negative/detrimental?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
When there is enough liquid (booster) in the sponge that there is less air in the air pockets of the sponge: this would make the sponge no longer responsive and it would be compressible but it would lose some of its elasticity and rebound-ability.

Reactions: longle
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
When there is enough liquid (booster) in the sponge that there is less air in the air pockets of the sponge: this would make the sponge no longer responsive and it would be compressible but it would lose some of its elasticity and rebound-ability.
Ok, but I have no idea how to measure that. Is there just a general rule of thumb of how many layers that this would happen?

Obviously it's different for different rubbers, that's why I suggested H3 40d as a basic benchmark.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There would not be anything wrong with playing and experimenting to see if you start feeling like you went beyond what is useful. Like, you could try, add a layer, try again, add a layer and keep going until you got to a point where you felt the rubber started feeling worse and not better.

Reactions: lodro
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
There would not be anything wrong with playing and experimenting to see if you start feeling like you went beyond what is useful. Like, you could try, add a layer, try again, add a layer and keep going until you got to a point where you felt the rubber started feeling worse and not better.

Absolutely.
But there can of course never be a benchmark, not only because all rubbers are different but also because
every player tries to obtain the feel that is right for him/her. Then there is the input of the individual blade too.
As an example, I like hard rubbers and the Rxton5 is hard. I normally give one light layer of seamoon and that works fine for me.
As a simple experiment I recently did one rubber with 3 layers of the booster and it is now virtually unplayable for me.
Where is the benchmark ??? Only in my wrist 😁

• Haha
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Does anybody use seamoon booster on ESN tensor rubbers? How do tensor rubbers play with booster?

softer and faster with a little more spin, some people say they have more control but in my experience they are just more faster, i lost some control especially on fast rubbers like mxp 50.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022

softer and faster with a little more spin, some people say they have more control but in my experience they are just more faster, i lost some control especially on fast rubbers like mxp 50.

Does seamoon make all ESN rubbers faster even the softer ones? Or does it only work on the hard esn rubbers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

1 (layer)

(Because boosting and speed-gluing is "illegal" under common law, based on ITTF initial directives & interpretations due to health hazards not just to user ONLY but also more importantly second-hand effects on other players & spectators. But now ITTF would like everyone to forget health hazards aspect and prtend like if is just ONLY a perfomance issue and also only at highest levels.as if the health of lower level players is not at all important, based on absolute zero chemical testing at lower levels)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: lodro and Attitude
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019

Isn’t haifu too strong for esn rubbers and falco or dandoy bio booster much better for esn rubbers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

Yes but you didn't explain why.

Liquids don't compress much whereas gases do. You fill your tires up with air for a reason. You don't fill your tires up with oils or boosters.

Zeio and I have a lot of disagreements, but we agreed that the foam rubber could be permeable or non-permeable. An example is wet suits and dry suits used for diving. Trying to "boost" non-permeable foam rubber is futile as the oil will not penetrate into the foam rubber.

So what kind of rubber do you have? Permeable or non-permeable? I would use the scraps if you keep them after mounting your rubber. I would put some booster on the foam rubber and see if it penetrates to the other side. Easy. Question answered for all time. Even if you replace old rubber then use it. Separate the foam rubber from the top sheet and test it.

I don't give a hoot if my opponent boosts or not. I know it doesn't help them and they are wasting a lot of money.
Boosting is a scam. Does anyone want to refute my claim?

And yes. I am baaacccckkkk!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

Boosting is a scam. Does anyone want to refute my claim?

Whether or not boosting is a scam is a moot point because (according to ITTF, not me), boosting & speed-gluing are ilegal under common law (focused countries) & under civil law (focused countries)

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Whether or not boosting and speed-gluing are illegal under common law is a moot point, because they are illegal under the rules of Table Tennis.

If boosting is against the rules, and someone is playing for fun, does not enter tournaments, plays with friends and likes experimenting with equipment, does it really matter if that person (Michael Zhuang - who I can say all of the above about because he fits that description) experiments with how applying chemical boosters effect different rubbers? Why would it matter if someone not entering tournaments and playing for his own enjoyment explored the effects of different chemicals on rubbers?

I would say the same thing about Long Pips. If MZ was messing around with equipment and wanted to explore how different versions of LP played and wanted to try some LP that were not authorized LP, would it really matter? If it did, to whom would experimenting with different kinds of equipment matter? And why?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
I would say the same thing about Long Pips. If MZ was messing around with equipment and wanted to explore how different versions of LP played and wanted to try some LP that were not authorized LP, would it really matter? If it did, to whom would experimenting with different kinds of equipment matter? And why?
Is experimenting with unathorized long pips a health hazard ?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Is experimenting with unathorized long pips a health hazard ?

No it is not, and neither are the Voc-free boosters..............You are still trying to kick shit up a hill 🤣

btw. I remember reading some instructions on the back of a TT-rubber- package and it said something like: """""Do not smell the rubber after taking it out of the package""""

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

No it is not, and neither are the Voc-free boosters..............You are still trying to kick shit up a hill 🤣

1. VOC-free boosters may not be against common laws but they DEFINITELY violate the rules of table tennis Simply because everyone uses boosters & players claim it is approved does not make it ITTF approved. Any chemical modification of the rubber especially the sponge (using speed-glues & boosters) is aginst the rules.
2. ITTF performs spot testing only at higher levels PRIMARILY for the health hazard of boosters that contain VOC & not for VOC-free boosters. ITTF had been cleverly diverting the issue away from the REAL reason for chemical testing by claiming now that thickness gauges test for legality (of common laws). This is a fraud because thickness gauges cannot test for true violation of VOC content. They only simply check the sponge had been expanded by boosting with either VOC free or VOC-full boosters or speed- glues. Thickness gauges cannot test for VOC content but ITTF wants everyone to think it does & therefore they are testing for health code violations and violation of common laws.

Just because you Lodro, claim that noone uses VOC-ful speed-glues or boosters does not make it the truth. If ITTF can take Lodro’s word then there is no need for any chemical testing at all . For example in countries where players cannot afford boosters what boosters do you think they use ? Of course they use the best VOC filled boosters. It is a well known secret that the more carcinogenic a speed-glue or booster is, the better your rubber performs

Last edited: