ITTF World Team Table Tennis Championships Finals Busan 2024

This user has no status.
L
But for the women's championship, the final were real.
the gap between China and Japan is now narrower than between Japan and rest of the world in Women TT
it wasn't always the case

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Coaching instruction is super audible during these time outs. Anyone know what was said from the CNT coach?
I went back to listen to it. During FZD's timeout WH said to add spin to his shots, even for balls that are a bit high, and use pace to win points. He said staying calm is the key, and he said FZD needs to emphasize his services. He needs to perform at an ultra high level. ML followed that up by saying it's OK to make mistakes. Then LJK again emphasized staying calm.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
  • Haha
Reactions: zeio
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Speaking of seeding and draw, China got a pretty rough draw for the #1 seed, having to play the top 3 teams other than themselves in succession - Japan, Korea, then France.
Technically, China missed Germany, the #2 seed in the final and got the #4 seed. So you are basing your assessment of a rough draw on your assessment of team strength.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Technically, China missed Germany, the #2 seed in the final and got the #4 seed. So you are basing your assessment of a rough draw on your assessment of team strength.
Right, I certainly was. Seeding based on the inaccurate WTT ratings system is not that useful IMO, but you can probably already tell my opinions on that based on my WYD vs WMY comments.

Reactions: zeio
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Right, I certainly was. Seeding based on the inaccurate WTT ratings system is not that useful IMO, but you can probably already tell my opinions on that based on my WYD vs WMY comments.
This is very untrue, but it isn't worth debating at length. Because specific factors or events can make the seeding imperfect doesn't mean that they are inaccurate. A rating system can't know that Wang Manyu was not in perfect form in a month in 2023 or that Wang Manyu getting beaten by Wang Yidi in a final is an accident, but the reverse result in another final is not. It just uses the results it gets. And Germany losing a close match to Chinese Taipei doesn't mean that Germany or even Chinese Taipei wouldn't have played a better final vs China. Let's be explicit when we are replacing actual resulrs/seeding with our subjective opinion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
This is very untrue, but it isn't worth debating at length. Because specific factors or events can make the seeding imperfect doesn't mean that they are inaccurate. A rating system can't know that Wang Manyu was not in perfect form in a month in 2023 or that Wang Manyu getting beaten by Wang Yidi in a final is an accident, but the reverse result in another final is not. It just uses the results it gets. And Germany losing a close match to Chinese Taipei doesn't mean that Germany or even Chinese Taipei wouldn't have played a better final vs China. Let's be explicit when we are replacing actual resulrs/seeding with our subjective opinion.
No, a points system simply isn't as accurate as something like an ELO system. I wouldn't confuse objectivity with accuracy. An ELO based rating like Andro ratings has WMY as the 2nd highest rated active female player, and I trust that far more than the WTT points system.

While Felix is obviously much younger than Harimoto, given the diagnosis of Harimoto's struggles with Wang by @Metaxa , I would love to hear his diagnosis of Felix's struggles which are just as severe. Is it just age? Let's just say IMHO, that if Harimoto solves the struggles that Felix had (because i think the struggles were similar), Harimoto is just as capable as Felix of beating Wang. And I think both players are capable of solving those struggles over time.
Mmmm, great player Felix but a slightly too fast traveling star in the table tennis circus, which is of course to his own credit. Should anyone doubt his abilities, he obviously has them in abundance with first and foremost an incredible responsiveness (innate or thanks to his pen holder grip)?
His second great asset is his (now sometimes impenetrable) youthfulness. He does things that others would not yet think of trying.
Third, most of his services may be illegal (most are hit over/above the table, as with his brother, allowing him to narrow the playing field and play off his great asset, speed) but he can draw from a big grab box. That, in my opinion, makes him a player who will be hard to pass up and will settle into the top 5 (now 6) for years to come and probably top 3 for years. (WCQ-FL-FZD)
I unfortunately didn't get to watch the match against Wang live but I will definitely still watch this one today. The result may not say everything but scoring only 15 points against WangCQ probably wants to say more about the level Wang had in this match (so Wang CQ is still top when it needs to be!) than the level of play Felix handled.
Still, I think there is a greater chance that Felix can ever become world champion than TH will ever be and this thanks to Felix's greatest strengths mentioned above.
For now, we look forward to the Paris Olympics!

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
No, a points system simply isn't as accurate as something like an ELO system. I wouldn't confuse objectivity with accuracy. An ELO based rating like Andro ratings has WMY as the 2nd highest rated active female player, and I trust that far more than the WTT points system.
And the ELO system takes into account injury and inactivity? It takes into account stakes? Does it rate only ittf matches or does it rate matches outside the Ittf?

The ELO as a playing strength measuring system is usually designed to be more accurate at measuring playing strength, but it doesn't reward activity or measure stakes, which the ITTF system does a better job of doing. Seeding isn't entirely about strength, it also has performance under pressure elements built in as well as activity, and the points system do a better job reflecting this. In tennis, no one argues that because Djokovic who is #1 loses to Sinner who is #4 that the system is inaccurate. But when it happens in TT, the system is broken.

So did you put the player and team ELOs into some machine before deciding that Germany was below the other teams?

• Haha
Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I have a question to ask. I noticed that there are five playing members per team but each time only three members are playing in a match at any one time. Is this a tournament rule or just a norm?
max up to 5 players allowed (some country only has 3, some has 4)
at call area (about 1 hour before the match), captain need to submit the playing 3 (and the 3 needs to submit in racket for testing) etc

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Are my calculations correct? Is Hurricane Hirano ****ing Miu going to be seeded 17th for Singapore Smash?

Miu:

1173 + 700 x (8/23) = 1416

Nina:

1335 + 175 x (8/17) = 1417

Miu Hirano is ranked 18th and Nina is ranked 17th. With Han Ying injured, they are seeded 17th and 16th respectively. Someone please tell me Nina has expiring points.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
While Felix is obviously much younger than Harimoto, given the diagnosis of Harimoto's struggles with Wang by @Metaxa , I would love to hear his diagnosis of Felix's struggles which are just as severe. Is it just age? Let's just say IMHO, that if Harimoto solves the struggles that Felix had (because i think the struggles were similar), Harimoto is just as capable as Felix of beating Wang. And I think both players are capable of solving those struggles over time.
9-2 h2h Vs Harimoto is not a fluke, this result today was not a fluke.
I think going forward at least in the short term; the results of their matchups would be based on WCQ's condition. If he's all gun blazing, super confident and has clarity of what he has to do. They'll just be overwhelmed in the 3rd/4th ball like you saw today and have seen many times in WCQ Vs TH matchups.

Hari has found a way to stay in the rally and win them. If he finds a way to stay on an equal footing in the opening exchanges; his winning rate may rise.

Felix still looks largely confused on what to do both in opening exchanges and the rallies. I'm not sure this is something he can solve in 4 months, but home crowd is a booster/downer that shouldn't be underestimated.

Jan 2018
On Hirano, I don't doubt she is that ZJK type player. I just remind people that just like ZJK, you never know precisely what you are going to get and pretending you are can get you into trouble. But she has the Olympics now, let us see how it goes. She also needs to improve her seeding, so Japan will put her out there and we will be able to stop giving her a pass for the matches she doesn't win but should.
Once again, when Hayata should be the focus here, Hirano steals the spotlight over at Tieba.

感觉早田团队放弃攻克孙颖莎了 (It feels like Team Hayata has given up on conquering Sun Yingsha)

Emily223 日女的目标一直都是“擒贼先擒王”,但是早田对孙颖莎已经是十三连败了,估计德班后就搁置“孙颖莎”这个目标了,而是选择一座一座山地翻。
先是大迪,然后是梦姐。昨晚看孙打她,她基本就来具喊几句,双方来回试探几球后,场上选手应该能更敏感地察觉到技术上的全方位的压制,所以哑了。美和也是类似的。
而且每次攻克成功都给她更大的底气,所以下一次会反扑得更厉害。
下一个可能是🐟女。早田有种鬣狗的感觉,这种韧劲,在场上确实会给对手很大的压力。
IP属地:广东来自iPhone客户端1楼2024-02-25 11:59回复
The Japanese girls' goal has always been to "capture the king first when catching the thief", but Hayata has lost 13 consecutive matches to Sun Yingsha. I guess that after WTTC 2023 Durban, she will put aside the goal of "Sun Yingsha" and choose to scale the mountains one by one.
First Big Di, then Sister Meng. Watching Sun play her last night, she basically just shouted a few words. After the two tested the water back and forth for a few shots, the players on the court should be more sensitive to the all-round technical suppression, and then she was muted. Miwa is similar.
And each successful conquest gives her greater confidence, so she will fight back even harder next time.
The next one may be Fish Girl [TL's note: WMY]. Hayata gives of the vibe of a hyena, and this kind of tenacity will indeed put a lot of pressure on her opponents on the court.

風起时 鱼女的实力不在孙颖莎之下,早田就算研究了,也不一定能打赢,而且经过昨天晚上的这次比赛,国乒教练组肯定会在奥运前会做出比以往更甚疯狂的做针对性研究,
IP属地:福建来自Android客户端5楼2024-02-25 12:23收起回复
The strength of Fish Girl is not inferior to Sun Yingsha. Even if Hayata studies her, she may not be able to win. And after last night's match, the CNT coaching staff will definitely get more crazy on researching than before ahead of the Olympics,

風起时 其实孙颖莎现在最该提防的还是平野,而并非早田,他不像王曼玉那样对平野存在球风上的克制,因为平野有时候上手的时候会进入到无人无我的状态,这种情况下通常会打出连自己都意想不到的球出来,
IP属地:福建来自Android客户端6楼2024-02-25 12:25收起回复
In fact, Sun Yingsha should be most wary of Hirano now, not Hayata. She does not have the hard counter on Hirano like Wang Manyu does in terms of playing style, because Hirano sometimes enters the state of Zen when she gets started. In that state, usually she would play shots that even she didn't expect.
Emily223: 王曼昱上一次对上平野已经是东奥团体了吧,王曼昱自己技战术体系都有变化了,你哪来的自信说“球风克制”
2024-2-25 12:28回复
The last time Wang Manyu faced Hirano was already back in the WT at the Tokyo Olympics, right? Wang Manyu’s own technical and tactical system have changed. Where did you get the confidence to say "the style of play is hard-countered"
小福猪猪: 我也觉得最该提防的是平野,能3:0大迪,一般反胶选手很难做到这比分
2024-2-25 12:28回复
I also think the one we should be most wary of is Hirano, who can beat Big Di 3-0. It is difficult for ordinary inverted players to achieve this score
風起时: 回复 Emily223 :无论再怎么变化,根基始终在那里,这是没办法改变的,王曼昱球的旋转是五大主力里面最强的,打过球的都知道旋转是可以压制速度的,而平野最依赖的就是他的速度和近台快攻的能力
No matter how many variations are made, the foundation is always there, and there is no way to change it. Wang Manyu’s spin is the strongest among the five core players. Anyone who has played table tennis knows that spin can suppress speed, and Hirano relies the most on her speed and close-to-table-fast-attacking ability
2024-2-25 12:30回复
午夜繁星7120: 同意 我一直都觉得平野才是威胁最大的那个 人来疯型最可怕 别不信。
2024-2-25 12:35回复
Agreed. I have always felt that Hirano is the one who poses the greatest threat. The crazy type is the most terrifying. Never doubt it.

平野美宇诠释了什么叫手拿把掐 (Hirano Miu demonstrates what it means to nail it)
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/8908748939?pid=149835322143&cid=149839446575#149839446575

Last edited: