Which team do you think will win the World Team Championships 2014?

• China

Votes: 172 80.0%
  • Germany

Votes: 16 7.4%
  • Japan

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Korea Republic

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Chinese Taipei

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Portugal

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Hong Kong

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Austria

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Croatia

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
China all the way! If there ever was a team that could come close,it would have been Germany (if it was only 2 players per country).Then Boll and Ovtcharov might have had a chance against China(that is if they were on their best forms and China's best weren't playing:p)

Agree, the less player, the higher the chance for the opponent

if it is 5 vs 5, then no ways any one can win.

3 vs 3 is nearly impossible.

2 vs 2 is anyone's game

Timo Boll doesn't look that great, Dima up and down is really big. Germany on paper yes, but its how they peak in a major event (which Dima isn't great at)

Reactions: akonebrahim
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
Agree here, really solid input and backing with true facts.
I see the same problem with Team Japan - good players but always disappointing at the end of the day.

Japan still has a few surprises.Look at Jun Mizutani in the German open Final.even though he wasnt well,he still came very close to beating Dima.
And remember how Masato Shiono Caused Ma Long to become injured.
They still have it in them and definitely have a chance to come out second.

BTW,whos playing in the South African Team?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Japan still has a few surprises.Look at Jun Mizutani in the German open Final.even though he wasnt well,he still came very close to beating Dima.
And remember how Masato Shiono Caused Ma Long to become injured.
They still have it in them and definitely have a chance to come out second.

BTW,whos playing in the South African Team?

Few suprises - yes, but so far they have been disappointing.
Best on "full team" strength or possiblitiy of challenging the Chinese, they are higher than any other country (3rd player can challenge Chnese 3rd player).
So lets wait and see. home ground advantage... and see how they do.

SA Team
Terrence, Keegan, Kurt, Samuel (added recently, I think because of sports ministers 60% policy)
Caitlin, Khanysilie, Jade, Thabisile (also added recently)

Extremely weak imo.
They came back from African Junior champs with no medals (first time ever!!!)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
Few suprises - yes, but so far they have been disappointing.
Best on "full team" strength or possiblitiy of challenging the Chinese, they are higher than any other country (3rd player can challenge Chnese 3rd player).
So lets wait and see. home ground advantage... and see how they do.

SA Team
Terrence, Keegan, Kurt, Samuel (added recently, I think because of sports ministers 60% policy)
Caitlin, Khanysilie, Jade, Thabisile (also added recently)

Extremely weak imo.
They came back from African Junior champs with no medals (first time ever!!!)

One of the worst policies ever.

We are quite lucky it still hasn't changed our rugby and cricket sides.I dread it when that happens.All our achievements and ranking will drop horrendously.Just take a look at our soccer side.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
One of the worst policies ever.

We are quite lucky it still hasn't changed our rugby and cricket sides.I dread it when that happens.All our achievements and ranking will drop horrendously.Just take a look at our soccer side.

Extremely racist imo. Some race are worth more because of skin colour is being taught.....
Sports should be by merit and not because of race or skin colour.

I'm sure fans already see SA players as one race - South Africans.....
I guess the politicians don't.

I still remember Fifa 2010. We didn't see skin colour, we saw Team SA, and all South African was backing South Africa

IMO, our soccer side does have selection by merit.
But our players don't play as a unit.
I think there is a big issue in SA about patriotism

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
Extremely racist imo. Some race are worth more because of skin colour is being taught.....
Sports should be by merit and not because of race or skin colour.

I'm sure fans already see SA players as one race - South Africans.....
I guess the politicians don't.

I still remember Fifa 2010. We didn't see skin colour, we saw Team SA, and all South African was backing South Africa

IMO, our soccer side does have selection by merit.
But our players don't play as a unit.
I think there is a big issue in SA about patriotism

If only the politicians could think.Apartheid ended 20 years ago.By now,everyone has had their chance to work back and achieve what they are capable of.And those that are not able,then they should be helped.And one of the worst things are the tenders...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
If only the politicians could think.Apartheid ended 20 years ago.By now,everyone has had their chance to work back and achieve what they are capable of.And those that are not able,then they should be helped.And one of the worst things are the tenders...

Oh well,
They should learn from other countries, that had the same problem and how they got out of it.
IE, China, Taiwan both was in a worse condition after world war 2.
Took them both about 20 years to recover and blossom.
I was in Australia recently (a place Saffers call decendent of prisoners), well they defiantly live in harmony compared to the hate/tension.
We should learn from them too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
Oh well,
They should learn from other countries, that had the same problem and how they got out of it.
IE, China, Taiwan both was in a worse condition after world war 2.
Took them both about 20 years to recover and blossom.
I was in Australia recently (a place Saffers call decendent of prisoners), well they defiantly live in harmony compared to the hate/tension.
We should learn from them too.

Too True.And those countries have developed really well so far.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Japan is strong if all of them play good but most of the time just one of them is at his best.

Anyway i think Germany still has more chance. Just see 2012 WTTTC semi-final Japan vs Germany. Mizutani lost 3:0 two times. Also Koki Niwa lost 3:0. the only won were from Sieya Kishikawa that defeated Patrik Baum 3:1. So 10:3 in games to Germany.

But Japan has new guns this year like Kenta Matsudaira and Masato Shino.

Comparing them to Germany, they have more rounded team. I mean their players are usually at same level unlike Germany that number 3 is far weaker than the first 2.
So i think if they face Germany they will probably win the 3rd match but other matches will probably be won by Germany.

So my vote goes to Germany for second place.

And of course China have 99% chance to be the champion!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
I would love to see germany take the title! But reality is china has a more balanced team,all the players r strong. My guess is china will play jike and ma long up and xu xin at 3 position. I dont know if timo will rise to the occasion and dima is a very confident player but sometimes that works against him as ive seen some of the risks he takes at crucial times in a match. A upset is possible but not likely!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
I would love to see germany take the title! But reality is china has a more balanced team,all the players r strong. My guess is china will play jike and ma long up and xu xin at 3 position. I dont know if timo will rise to the occasion and dima is a very confident player but sometimes that works against him as ive seen some of the risks he takes at crucial times in a match. A upset is possible but not likely!

Possible as in 1 to 100:p-the chance is too small.

Tokyo TV station will likely be streaming table 3 of the WTTTC2014. It makes sense, because all of the matches that team Japan will be playing for the qualification stage will be on table 3, both men and women. Unfortunately, I can't find a reliable stream for Tokyo TV because of location limitations, so if anyone does find a stream, recording those matches would be much appreciated!:):D (especially for the short-form editors, if you're interested;))
http://www.ittf.com/ittf_team_event...?Tour_Code=2278&s_Event_type=MGTEM&Group_no=3
http://www.ittf.com/ittf_team_event...?Tour_Code=2278&s_Event_type=WGTEM&Group_no=2
Japan's matches ^

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
Some photos from 27th training

Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ittfworld/sets/72157644392587133/

Img6534218_n.jpg

Img6534238_n.jpg

Img6534237_n.jpg

Img6534234_n.jpg

Img6534202_n.jpg

Img6534208_n.jpg

Img6534207_n.jpg

Img6534214_n.jpg

Img6534212_n.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Hong Kong and China share the same distinction of having two penholders in their respective teams. Hong Kong has Leung Chu Yan and Wong Chun Ting while China has Xu Xin and Wang Hao.

Last edited: