Who do you think will win the Japan Open 2014 - ITTF World Tour?

• Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 34 65.4%
  • Koki Niwa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chen Chien-An

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tang Peng

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Kenta Matsudaira

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Andrej Gacina

• Masato Shiono

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Patrick Franziska

• Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
New Fan Zhendong in town as China's 16 year old Yu Ziyang wins this years Japan Open defeating Jun Mizutani by 4 sets to 2!

1908349_10152276761314332_1641367403459171809_n.jpg

Incredible!i was supporting jun though:(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
Yu Ziyang won the tournament but made a very bad image of himself in my mind. He has no sportsmanship. He almost shouted at the face of Tang Peng in semi-final and didn't give Jun's point to him in the final match which was very obvious. Just hate this guy.

When you see players like ma long,timo boll and many others play,whether they win or lose,they still display great sportsmanship to their opponent.
actions like these incline poeple to watch them play.
The actions of yu ziyang do not justify his achievements.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
When you see players like ma long,timo boll and many others play,whether they win or lose,they still display great sportsmanship to their opponent.
actions like these incline poeple to watch them play.
The actions of yu ziyang do not justify his achievements.
A player acting like this costs nothing to me even if he won the Gold medal of OG twice. A player with good sportsmanship always have more respect than the other form the people. Even if he can't play as good as the others.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
He surely has not seen Tang Peng's sportmanship (ex. admitting a not so obvious edge point against him at last year's World Cup when he was against Ovtcharov at the QF). With regards to shouting, Yu Ziyang was shouting against players who have so much experience in international play. His screams just indicated that he is not at the same levels with the top players, attitude-wise (even if he may be in par with them strength-wise)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
He surely has not seen Tang Peng's sportmanship (ex. admitting a not so obvious edge point against him at last year's World Cup when he was against Ovtcharov at the QF). With regards to shouting, Yu Ziyang was shouting against players who have so much experience in international play. His screams just indicated that he is not at the same levels with the top players, attitude-wise (even if he may be in par with them strength-wise)

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

His achievements against more experienced players do not justify his bad sportsmanship.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
A player acting like this costs nothing to me even if he won the Gold medal of OG twice. A player with good sportsmanship always have more respect than the other form the people. Even if he can't play as good as the others.

I think u might have been a bit harsh on this kids. I mean, cmon this is only a 16 years old kid. FZD on his early appearance also display some kinda arrogantly like attitude, perhaps he will become more mature in future and not displaying this kind of attitude. Maybe when he's at 24 years old and did not want to shake hand with his opponent when losing u can say he's arrogant, but I guess when he won grand slam no one will ever care lol

By the way, this is a very unexpected champion like last year. I hope we can have the final video soon, I'm eager to see how this kids played

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
I think u might have been a bit harsh on this kids. I mean, cmon this is only a 16 years old kid. FZD on his early appearance also display some kinda arrogantly like attitude, perhaps he will become more mature in future and not displaying this kind of attitude. Maybe when he's at 24 years old and did not want to shake hand with his opponent when losing u can say he's arrogant, but I guess when he won grand slam no one will ever care lol

By the way, this is a very unexpected champion like last year. I hope we can have the final video soon, I'm eager to see how this kids played

when you see that point... :)

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012

Maybe you are right but still it can't be said there is not problem because he is young.
ZJK done this kind of reaction very few times. Yu Ziyang is doing this in almost every match. But as you said we can't be sure that he continues like this. We have to wait and see.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Yes he is young and this is some kind of an excuse… but it is definitely not a good advertisement for the sport to do like that!! Poor Jun, I think he would have won else wise...

the decision was just too ridiculous. two umpires, two players, two coaches.. not even Jun's coach stood up for him... I know coaches should stay cool, but how could he stand up to this ridicule?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
Yu Ziyang

Yu Ziyang won the tournament but made a very bad image of himself in my mind. He has no sportsmanship. He almost shouted at the face of Tang Peng in semi-final and didn't give Jun's point to him in the final match which was very obvious. Just hate this guy.

So far there has been a lot of criticism of Yu Ziyang. It seems to centre on two things, first of all he is shouting too loudly in his matches against Tang Peng and Mizutani. Second he is a bad sportsman against Mizutani.

I would like to give me opinion on these two matters (since opinion is all one can give in this situation). I am a national level chess player representing Australia and also working with the top juniors of Australia in this field.

1. Shouting loudly after each point is in fact a good thing, Yu Ziyang has little experience and he is only like 16. He feels vulnerable and in fact his shouts are clearly to boost his own confidence, they are not intentionally arrogant. It's to show psychologically that he is not afraid of his opponent. As a coach I would like encourage this (obviously not by shouting in chess games, but by having a confident demeanour when playing chess i.e. your opponent looks at you and you can look at him directly back). These psychological things are quite important for a youngster as he isn't yet sure of his own powers, yet it's clear Yu Ziyang is already super strong (won Japan Open and made it to Korea Open semi final to go down 4-2 to Xu Xin is no mean achievement!). I honestly don't see whats the problem with saying "chu li" or something like this after a point ends, in my view this is a lot better than the grunting that goes on during tennis rallies. Some people do it more than others, and there is a tendency for the young to shout, they lack experience but have the spirit and they are showing it.

2. I think the second point is a fair criticism of Yu Ziyang, from his body language I believe he realised as well the ball was clearly off the table. Yet at the end of the day he wasn't at fault for the empire saying it was in. That was clearly the empire's mistake. It's true that model sportsman behaviour would be to give the point to Mizutani yet he didn't actually argue that the ball was in, that was purely the empire's decision.

It is super difficult to a 16 year old to overcome both the physical and psychological barriers to performing so well in 2 consecutive Tours, I take my hat off to Yu Ziyang for his achievement. I do hope he gains more humility and sportsmanship like Boll or Ma Long, yet I think to give the impression that he didn't deserve his achievements is wildly exaggerated, Mizutani self destructed in that game, something he is at fault of himself. In the 6th and final game Yu Ziyang also made up a significant deficit to win, good on him!

Just noting in difference, Yu Ziyang has magnificent footwork and forehand and inside the table FH flips were well done in general. He is quite different to Fan Zhendong in my opinion. Perhaps his short game and serve/receive needs work, overall I think a world class player (someone in the top 50 in the world already!).

I know others will disagree but this is my opinion Yu, hope he is able to match the achievements of FZD.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
So far there has been a lot of criticism of Yu Ziyang. It seems to centre on two things, first of all he is shouting too loudly in his matches against Tang Peng and Mizutani. Second he is a bad sportsman against Mizutani.

I would like to give me opinion on these two matters (since opinion is all one can give in this situation). I am a national level chess player representing Australia and also working with the top juniors of Australia in this field.

1. Shouting loudly after each point is in fact a good thing, Yu Ziyang has little experience and he is only like 16. He feels vulnerable and in fact his shouts are clearly to boost his own confidence, they are not intentionally arrogant. It's to show psychologically that he is not afraid of his opponent. As a coach I would like encourage this (obviously not by shouting in chess games, but by having a confident demeanour when playing chess i.e. your opponent looks at you and you can look at him directly back). These psychological things are quite important for a youngster as he isn't yet sure of his own powers, yet it's clear Yu Ziyang is already super strong (won Japan Open and made it to Korea Open semi final to go down 4-2 to Xu Xin is no mean achievement!). I honestly don't see whats the problem with saying "chu li" or something like this after a point ends, in my view this is a lot better than the grunting that goes on during tennis rallies. Some people do it more than others, and there is a tendency for the young to shout, they lack experience but have the spirit and they are showing it.

2. I think the second point is a fair criticism of Yu Ziyang, from his body language I believe he realised as well the ball was clearly off the table. Yet at the end of the day he wasn't at fault for the empire saying it was in. That was clearly the empire's mistake. It's true that model sportsman behaviour would be to give the point to Mizutani yet he didn't actually argue that the ball was in, that was purely the empire's decision.

It is super difficult to a 16 year old to overcome both the physical and psychological barriers to performing so well in 2 consecutive Tours, I take my hat off to Yu Ziyang for his achievement. I do hope he gains more humility and sportsmanship like Boll or Ma Long, yet I think to give the impression that he didn't deserve his achievements is wildly exaggerated, Mizutani self destructed in that game, something he is at fault of himself. In the 6th and final game Yu Ziyang also made up a significant deficit to win, good on him!

Just noting in difference, Yu Ziyang has magnificent footwork and forehand and inside the table FH flips were well done in general. He is quite different to Fan Zhendong in my opinion. Perhaps his short game and serve/receive needs work, overall I think a world class player (someone in the top 50 in the world already!).

I know others will disagree but this is my opinion Yu, hope he is able to match the achievements of FZD.

Thanks for your opinion. I agree shouting is not bad. But it was the way (not the intensity) he shouted at the point. I hope you have taken a look at it already. :)

Wanted to point out Ho Kwan Kit (17 years old) did not win his title in this kind of way... Perhaps Yu Ziyang's strength > Ho Kwan Kit's strength, but if age is more concerned, Ho Kwan Kit's attitude > Yu Ziyang's attitude (based on the way they had clinched their titles) Well of course Japan Open > Philippines Open. Of course this is my opinion :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
Thanks for your opinion. I agree shouting is not bad. But it was the way (not the intensity) he shouted at the point. I hope you have taken a look at it already. :)

Wanted to point out Ho Kwan Kit (17 years old) did not win his title in this kind of way... Perhaps Yu Ziyang's strength > Ho Kwan Kit's strength, but if age is more concerned, Ho Kwan Kit's attitude > Yu Ziyang's attitude (based on the way they had clinched their titles) Well of course Japan Open > Philippines Open. Of course this is my opinion :)

If i could like a post on mobile,i would have liked this one:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
Yu Ziyang

Thanks for your opinion. I agree shouting is not bad. But it was the way he shouted at the point. I hope you have taken a look at it already. :)

I agree with what you said as well. Actually my impression was that Yu Ziyang's cry was very loud indeed but actually it made it seem more so that innately he was afraid but was putting on a mask to hide this. I think everyone is different, some cry louder, some much less. If you compare only the top chinese players, I would argue Zhang Jike>Ma Long or Xu Xin in showing his confidence (whether in his cries or the fact he takes off his shirt after winning the world championships). Some people see it as disrespectful, others see it as the confidence of the champion, it's very narrow indeed the fine line between showing confidence (or at least pretending confidence) and seeming arrogant. Thats why everyone likes different players (besides differences in technical style). Yu Ziyang I think is basically following alot of the other chinese players, we will see what he seems like in the future. By the way, I heard a few things he said after winning the match (it was recorded on camera in chinese) and he seemed pretty normal to me, he didn't seem cocky to me at all, more like an excited teenager, as he should be after winning a Tour against a top player :)

By the way, I just saw the semi-final replay between Mizutani and Muramatso (apologies if misspelt) and I have to sympathise that Mizutani must have been drained of energy after that testing duel. I think Mizutani played below par, probably because of the toughness of semi-final and also a bit nervous in front of expectant home crowd in the finals when he was clear favourite. In fact crowd was really quiet after Mizutani lost, I feel very sorry for him, I have similar experiences before in chess, it feels terrible to disappoint your own country in front of home crowd, the feeling is doubly hurtful. Better luck for him next time!

Reactions: pingpingpongpong