What would TT brands do if ESN suddenly refused to make for them?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
What would Stiga, Nittaku, Tibhar and all the TT brands do if ESN suddenly decided not to make rubbers for them anymore?

Could they go setup their own factories and make their own rubbers? Would they be stuck using Daiki rubbers? Would any customers still want rubbers from those companies if they aren't made by ESN?

ESN seems to have an extremely strong position, outside of Butterfly. Why wouldn't they just take the entire line of rubbers inside their own portfolio?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
What would Stiga, Nittaku, Tibhar and all the TT brands do if ESN suddenly decided not to make rubbers for them anymore?

Could they go setup their own factories and make their own rubbers? Would they be stuck using Daiki rubbers? Would any customers still want rubbers from those companies if they aren't made by ESN?

ESN seems to have an extremely strong position, outside of Butterfly. Why wouldn't they just take the entire line of rubbers inside their own portfolio?
OH man !!!!!!
You need a hobby 🤣🤣🤣

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
ESN was Donic.. they sold Donic and kept the factory.. why bother to make their own models?!

They make more money producing for several TT brands than just for their own.
Well, to be precise, ESN was founded by the same guy who many years earlier founded Donic (Doctor Georg Niclas). ESN wasn't Donic itself. Dr. Niclas sold Donic to a befriended family and then set up ESN later.

But I agree that it would be a risky move by ESN.

First of all I don't think that ESN would like to see traditional german brands like Donic, Tibhar, Gewo, Andro and Joola (now american, sort of...) go bankrupt, which would surely happen because Daiki and a chinese factory together likely could't come up with enough rubbers in time in order to prevent them from going bankrupt.

Secondly, even though ESN holds the patents to most of the rubbers they produce - at least as far as I know - I wouldn't be surprised if the contracts between ESN and their customers are designed to kind of rule out that ESN goes rogue with the rubbers.

Also, if I were ESN, I would very probably prefer to have a bunch of (steady and satisfied) customers who buy my products in large quantities. Re-selling them to tt shops and the players themselves isn't really my problem, which would in fact become my problem if I would have to do the distribution and (heavy) marketing myself, which in itself is a big hassle. It would mean to establish an entirely new and relatively big department within the company. ESN would have to hire a bunch of people who understand this business; they would have set up offices for marketing and distribution in Asia as well, I believe. That would be an enormous risk and cost factor.

Would the brands try to turn to Daiki and/or a chinese factory? Maybe, but I doubt that they could handle the needed quantities in time. Could the brands each set up their own factories? I am not sure if the brands have the financial resources to do that. To set up such a specialized factory takes time and money. You would have to buy properties, built the factory itself, buy the machines, hire staff etc. That would take time and by the time everything would be ready to go, each brand would have gone bankrupt - maybe not Stiga though, since they have some other things going on aside from tt.

Now I do not know the market shares of ESN - zeio probably knows a bit more about that - but all in all I find it highly unlikely that ESN would start doing their own thing - just too much risk involved. Also it would create a lot of chaos within the industry and that would also not really benefit ESN because it might also damage their "street cred" so to speak, at least for some time.

Last edited:

Tiz

This user has no status.

Tiz

This user has no status.
Jan 2023
It would be a risky step because ESN doesn't have any distribution channel. They would need to acquire one of the brands that is currently a customer. Something like that happened in the graphic cards business with 3DFX and didn't end well for them. I think everybody would buy from Daiki.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
The reverse is true as well.

DHS could start making H3 rebranded for all the other companies. But that would take away from the strong market position they have in the Chinese tacky market. So they would rather capture the upside for themselves.

Seems to me ESN is in a similar position as dhs, but they use a different softer approach.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
ESN was Donic.. they sold Donic and kept the factory.. why bother to make their own models?!

They make more money producing for several TT brands than just for their own.
I am user of Donic product.

I wish to know if ESN still produces Donic rubbers or whether Donic uses another manufacturer?

I ask such a question because in the Donic rubbers, there are no Tensor logo imprinted whereas others such as Xiom and Andro have Tensor logo imprinted.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I wish to know does ESN still
produces Donic rubbers or does Donic use another manufacturer?

I ask such because in the Donic rubbers there are no Tensor logo whereas others such as Xiom and Andro have Tensor logo imprinted.
Older Donic rubbers such as Coppa are "Made in Japan". However newer rubbers like Bluefire, Bluestorm, Bluestar etc. are "Made in Germany" and therefore produced by ESN. Sponge thickness and the "Made in Germany" are clearly printed on the sponge. You never noticed?
Regarding the missing Tensor logo? Maybe it has something to do with licensing fees (ESN owns the patent to the Tensor name and a bunch of other stuff) and/or marketing. I assume brands can choose what they want to have printed on the topsheet. 10-12 years ago, when the Tibhar Evolution came out, many people thought they were "Made in Japan", because of the japanese symbols on the packaging and the topsheet; but they are also made by ESN - clever marketing on Tibhar's side.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gozo Aruna
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
you all really think they only manufacture for tt brands?!?
ESN does only produce rubbers for tt. Their japanese counterparts have also other interests. See Asahi rubbers for example:

Aside from tt rubbers Daiki also produces "nonslip sheet materials", whatever that means...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Biggest thing would be that they have to transform their business or add a company that will become the brand of their products. That would take away focus and money from developing their manufacturing business.

Being solely a manufacturing company gives them the opportunity to focus on that. Besides that, they probably have capacity to fill more than one brand worth of demand, so why not use it. Its also likely that lengthy purchase agreements have been written between the TT brands and ESN for their production, securing revenue for ESN if they deliver as described.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
If you haven't followed geopolitics, then you should now. ESN is in fact in an extremely fragile position. Russia was among their biggest European markets.

The prices of ESN rubbers have increased in recent years to the point that they are no longer competitive. Just read up on the decade-long thread over at TT-NEWS where the German folks complain day in, day out.

Preise von Tischtennisbelägen (Prices of table tennis rubbers)
https://forum.tt-news.de/showthread.php?t=18855&page=17

https://youtu.be/WhZOi2y75SM?t=74

https://youtu.be/xOAqlOxOgSg?t=14

Reactions: latej
Jan 2018
Now I do not know the market shares of ESN - zeio probably knows a bit more about that...
Dr. Hans Persson claimed in a 2022 podcast that ESN had a market share of 50% (supplying millions of rubbers) but they were in survival mode during COVID-19. That shows how fragile they really are.

ESN has been diversifying their business model since 2023, tapping into the AI market with Spinsight:
ESN Technology Group GmbH (new parent company)
ESN Deutsche Tischtennis Technolgie GmbH (formerly ESN Elastomer GmbH, what we know as ESN)
SPINSIGHT ESN Digital GmbH (new)
ESN Sports ACE GmbH (new)

https://youtu.be/IE9zOryJYzc?t=288

Last edited:
Reactions: enoxzr
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
ESN is not the only pebble on beach. А factory of China owns technology and machinery to produce tensor rubbers in plenty. This is a non costly source for us to get tensors from.

• Haha
Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
ESN does only produce rubbers for tt. Their japanese counterparts have also other interests. See Asahi rubbers for example:

Aside from tt rubbers Daiki also produces "nonslip sheet materials", whatever that means...
its opposite to slip sheet materials

• Haha
Reactions: Jimbob MacInbred
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Dr. Hans Persson claimed in a 2022 podcast that ESN had a market share of 50% (supplying millions of rubbers) but they were in survival mode during COVID-19. That shows how fragile they really are.

ESN has been diversifying their business model since 2023, tapping into the AI market with Spinsight:
ESN Technology Group GmbH (new parent company)
ESN Deutsche Tischtennis Technolgie GmbH (formerly ESN Elastomer GmbH, what we know as ESN)
SPINSIGHT ESN Digital GmbH (new)
ESN Sports ACE GmbH (new)

https://youtu.be/IE9zOryJYzc?t=288
professional range (no hobby), can ESN really be 50%?
making then bigger than Butterfly and DHS combined?

China is the biggest market on the planet, and DHS and Butterfly own it.
Japan, Butterfly is bigger, with Nittaku giving ESN some good chunk of the pie.
Germany is likely the next biggest market, i'm not sure what is the ratio between ESN and Butterfly.
Rest of Europe, Americas, Oceania, Africa the race is between ESN vs Butterfly
Taiwan, Butterfly is way bigger than ESN
Korea, DHS is making inroad, Butterfly is still huge with the pro space as far as I know (junior team players). Nexy boss helped get ESN market share with Tibhar, but that is about it.

With ESN price increase every year, they are bound to loose market share.
But I don't believe ESN is 50%
I would say, some countries yes and then we need to see how far they go, in terms of category.
ie, hobby bats - Sunflex would be a power house too, since they oem for so many brands.

Jan 2018
The numbers are in. As projected, despite the price increase and in turn a revenue increase, ESN still lost
€ 2.67 million for fiscal year 2022.
That's roughly 84% of the profit in 2021. In the red for the first time in over a decade.

If you haven't followed geopolitics, then you should now. ESN is in fact in an extremely fragile position. Russia was among their biggest European markets.

The prices of ESN rubbers have increased in recent years to the point that they are no longer competitive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp