What's the best way to practice near table counter-loop?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I found counter-loop to be the hardest shot to practice.

It's not like looping underspin where you can just ask your partner to push to you.

You need your partner to loop to you and a number of things usually go wrong. 1) partner misses 2) loop is too low 3) loop is out of position. I haven't really found a good way to practice the counter loop off opponent's counter loop.

Is there a good way to practice this?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
For brush loops you can just have your partner do multiball. For something more challenging you'll need a better training partner. It doesn't take a very high level player to be able to make a one off loop fairly consistently, so I'm curious why your training partner can't do it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
For brush loops you can just have your partner do multiball. For something more challenging you'll need a better training partner. It doesn't take a very high level player to be able to make a one off loop fairly consistently, so I'm curious why your training partner can't do it.
haha. something always seems to go wrong

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
I would recommend this to speed up the learning process and get more out of your time in the Practice hall.

Like with every ( New ) technique that one wants to learn or improve, it should start with slow shadow Practice where you deliberately focus on the correct move sequence in slow motion.

Once that works easily and well and gets bring, make the shadow Practice faster, at about 70-80% of the Real move speed.
Again focus on good Form and getting a good feel for the move in action.

Once that works well and becomes boring, Twist It up a little.
Do the same move at about 70-80% speed and imagine yourself actually practicing it, with balls coming at you and focus on the ball, like you would in reality.
The closer you can "feel" / imagine the Training hall, the environment, the table, your Partner and the incoming balls, the more effectively will it translate into actual Practice.
Follow the imaginary Ball with your eyes, as if it were really coming at you.

Once youre good and comfortable with that , do the same at close to 100% of the Real speed.
Focus on the imaginary, incoming Ball and Practice the movement until you think that you got it down.

This is not a replacement for actual Practice, but it is a huge boost in getting more out of limited Practice / table time with a Partner.

Kind of like a Training for Training.

The more you Do this, the better youll get at it.

Extras to make this even more effective.

The most important one:

1. Seeing the move, in Person or on Video,
2. and being able to watch the tape in your head.
And the next step of this:
3. Seeing yourself execute the move perfectly, purely by imagining it in your head.

As if you were a 3rd Person cameraman Recording yourself apply the move in a Real scenario.

These imaginary tools truly feel like a superpower.

Try it out for Some time and see how it can work in your favor.

And more:
Getting feedback
Having a mirror.
Recording yourself.
Robot / Return board practice

Shadow Practice combined with effective imaginary exercises have been a Real game changer for me.

Since I generally cannot get the Super high quality Training sessions 5 times a week that I would wish for, I figured out ways to get the most out of the resources I have.

This is one of them.

PS: Coach your training partner to train Looping underspin - the better he gets at it the better you will be able to train, im kinda doing something like that, im coaching the people in my club that are willing to put in the effort and time with my strategies and methods to improve and its working really well, Both for them and for me

Reactions: turbozed
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
1) partner misses - Find a better partner.
2) loop is too low - Find a partner with Tenergy 05.
3) loop is out of position - Improvise, adapt, overcome.
You have to realize that some people really believe and pretend that people who pay for coaching to learn stuff are idiots. Therefore when they struggle to learn something like this, they don't remember that smug wisdom. Coaching is basically the fastest way to get a player to feed you the boring things you need to improve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
I haven't found a good substitute for a high level coach or practice partner. Loop to loop with variation has been most effective, but fast multiball is also helpful. You can get a feel for the basics (hands up, compact stroke, weight forward or down) with a robot or slow multiball, but at least for me that didn't translate to game play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Near table counter loop? How weak is the loop to let you near table counter. You above this level already.
What I mean is sometimes opponent does a slow, high, spinny, opening loop.

I feel this ball is a good opportunity to counter loop. But I dont have the technique perfect yet. Im not too confident.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
What I mean is sometimes opponent does a slow, high, spinny, opening loop.

I feel this ball is a good opportunity to counter loop. But I dont have the technique perfect yet. Im not too confident.
Oh, this way you need to communicate with your training partner. As him to do such balls to your side, more ball you hit ball more confident you gain.

Reactions: NextLevel
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Use short form. Be in position. Wait for ball to come to strike zone or use one step footwork to be in position. Use less power at first.

Use light grip at first until timing to point of impact is consistent... then go for more power by firming grip at impact.
You do not need to try to set the USA record for discus throw. You do not need a backswing - just go forward through the strike zone and firm up... stroke is SHORT.

Later, if you want to look like ma Long and Co... then go for crazy cowboy long backswing... and break your back trying to be pro.

it is simple, raise bat to expected height of ball, be in strike zone, use short stroke, firm at impact.

Your ball will fly at a high velocity and you will still be a boss with a short stroke.