Search results

  1. I wanna play with the big boys!

    My other theory is that starting younger also allows hr brain to specialize some resources earlier for seeing and reading spin. But as you point out, there is some survivor bias to starting young. I just find it hard to believe I would struggle so much with reading spin had I started younger...
  2. I wanna play with the big boys!

    While I agree with this approach, I think when you have a stroke, a good coach should also give you a spin vs power and adjustment philosophy to help you with reading your misses. And that if you practice enough, a point comes when you just trust the new stroke/approach more than the old...
  3. I wanna play with the big boys!

    You make a great point about some topspin style serves inviting the rally immediately which is not quite like the third ball looping backspin style. But we aren't really arguing here that even if the guy let you attack his serve, he let you attack a good serve. Which might not make sense but...
  4. I wanna play with the big boys!

    You are being kind to Lazer. But he can defend himself. He was trying to denigrate the importance of good serving IMHO, arguing that it is not as much fun to win with good serves as it is to win with rallying. Some players also take the attitude that good servers are winning with tricks and...
  5. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Went to MyTabletennis club in Missasauga, Ontario, Canada this evening. Got there around 750pm so limited time to play since the club officially closed at 9pm. The club owner was probably surprised that I got there so late but still charged me for the 2 hours lol. I saw two players playing...
  6. How durable is Tibhar Hybrid MK?

    I would blame your blades, but I might be giving you too little credit. You need a fast carbon looping blade something between a Viscaria and a Mizutani SZLC I think. But the spin is mostly in the topsheet to be honest, I probably brush too much lol. But I can't see why someone would like...
  7. How durable is Tibhar Hybrid MK?

    Not a fan of PS, it isnt as linear as I would like. The original Golden Tango is just more WYSIWYG.
  8. I wanna play with the big boys!

    All jokes aside, improved serving is the quickest way to get to play with players above your level. But it takes just as much time and coaching as anything else, the difference is that the impact on points is immediate and the better players will do things that force you to do more. But the...
  9. How durable is Tibhar Hybrid MK?

    Something must be wrong with my technique with MK and K3, the rubber just feels like it doesn't take my power. Golden Tango does almost the same thing but with much more spin for my technique.
  10. I wanna play with the big boys!

    There are levels to getting used to serves so serve improvement is usually serve and third ball improvement. Sometimes getting the serve back on the table is enough, but with reasonable practice, the third ball will place pressure on the returner to tighten the return. Very few players as you...
  11. Is Liu Guoliang “fairly” one of the greatest players of all time?

    There are people who would argue that Sampras is the greatest ever with some justification and he was clearly the greatest player of his era and probably of any era. Players can't entirely control the rule changes that affect their era. I am old enough to see how equipment changes and travel...
  12. Is Liu Guoliang “fairly” one of the greatest players of all time?

    Greatest ever no, but that's because he has a peer/peers that had quantifiably better results on the same era. But he was World champion, Olympic Champion and World Cup winner, and arguably the best server of the hidden serve era. He was/is one of the all time greats, it is an open question...
  13. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    The coach that improved my game the most, he did very little general training. Very little. He would mostly watch me play matches, see what he felt was losing me thr most points. and work on it. His students always were the fastest improving players in the club. There are many ways to win...
  14. Video Footage Safe Thread

    It's usually as simple as varying playing distance depending on the results you are getting against the opponent. If you are doing really well, holding the table is not a problem. But if the opponent is sometimes faste than you, giving yourself a bit more time by taking a step back and...
  15. Is Liu Guoliang “fairly” one of the greatest players of all time?

    It was probably unpredictable in the sense that as a pip, one could smash more easily with it than you could with inverted.
  16. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    I imagined as much, the TT scene for good players is not that large in any country.
  17. XIOM Solo, discontinued?

    By having more even rebound through all points on the blade. Composites tend to have relatively even rebound but they can be made to bend relatively more based on various features of how they are lined up with the grain of the plies of wood and even the choice of wood. And wood can be made to...
  18. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Any plans to play in the TTDSL so we can get that video? ;)
  19. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Going to be in Canada (Ontario) for a few days. Hoping to get some TT in!
  20. Advice to improve my game.

    Some coaches would argue that the above technique has too much upper arm. Some would prefer a more bent elbow, some would prefer a lower and more forward finish. There are many reasonable ways to play a forehand topspin. But there are many wrong ways as well. You need to find one of the...
Top