Search results

  1. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Yeah it stays there. You are asking questions to your satisfaction which is important but is partly the problem with over intellectualizing table tennis. Table tennis is not mathematics, the ideas are to guide improvement not to prove theorems. As long you get the general idea that there...
  2. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Pretty much *BOTH* - where you are facing determines where the triangle is. The first is more typical for backhand, the second is more typical for forehand. If you stretch both hands out and touch them together like you are carrying a box, you have formed the triangle. Somewhere in there is...
  3. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Dominik, It takes time to to learn. I say this because being a fan of table tennis, so many things that appear to be similar are different and many things that appear to be different are similar. Most of what is ideal table tennis hitting takes place in the golden triangle. The golden triangle...
  4. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Everything is better, everything can be much better. Thankfully the robot is much better and doesn't have to get better. 1. The lighting is an issue. 2. Use two or three camera angles (front, side, back). That said most of us are used to look at strokes from behind or on front or at...
  5. San Francisco looking for training partner.

    Some of the discussions and the way they are framed are coming from h amateurs who may not have spoken to the top players or their friends about what it feels like to be a professional. Someone on mytt pointed out that Kou Lei was a player whose game improved when he started using Europeam...
  6. Yinhe Jupiter 3 Amazing Rubber

    What do you think of Fastarc G1 or C1? Just curious.
  7. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Greg Letts has great articles on learning to play against long pips. https://gregsttpages.com/archives/equipment/rubbers/how-long-pips-really-work/ Relative to our playing levels, DerEchte and myself are pretty decent, DerEchte because of his heavy spin, me because I trained in Philly where...
  8. Video Footage Safe Thread

    It is an individual result of how their athleticism makes them feel comfortable generating powerful strokes after years/decades of training. Very few players can get the depth of Ma Long's backswing consistently but if you can do it, sure, go for it. But for the rest of us, we just figure out...
  9. Table tennis is the most difficult and frustrating sport I have ever played

    Nah, the full problem here isn't purely about mindset. Many people have criticized OP for training to improve. This is BS, part of the reason I started going to clubs to play was because I was tired of losing to people who I felt were not that more talented than I was but who had stepped into...
  10. Do you counterloop your opponents opening loop?

    This - when you play at a level where not doing the right thing almost always loses the point outright, you learn to do it, find another way to win points or you stop playing at that level.
  11. Video Footage Safe Thread

    IT is mostly so you can direct your momentum towards the ball. Cocking the wrist back towards you isn't something you force, it is ideally a side effect but what usually happens when your elbow is close to your body is that a lot of momentum goes sideways. Part of the reason why it is good...
  12. Video Footage Safe Thread

    All table tennis technique is debatable, in the end most people just copy what the best players do and call it optimal technique. Sometimes, there is logic, sometimes there isn't. Mental reads and athleticism can make all things workable, even the supposedly impossible. After all, there are...
  13. Video Footage Safe Thread

    JeffM, Since I am trying to rebuild my backhand (or actually, go back to what made my backhand special while refining a few things), you asked at the right time. For me, this is still the best video on backhand topspin technique out there. I don't understand a word of it nowadays, but I...
  14. Table tennis is the most difficult and frustrating sport I have ever played

    There are many different kinds of coaches. If a coach doesnt talk you through your improvement process and doesnt give you a realistic appreciation of what it takes to improve in table tennis, that coach is doing you a disservice, but this disservice is unfortunately common with coaches who...
  15. TTD Team Knockout 2022 - Live stream coming soon

    The livestream was extremely awesome. Well done.
  16. Kou Lei vs Ayano

    I have played tons of handicap matches with stronger players (2500+) with an 7-8 point handicap. I have often won the first game. Then suddenly, it becomes impossibly difficult to score any points and I am just hoping I get luck.
  17. Kou Lei vs Ayano

    I have something to show you... https://www.essentiallysports.com/nba-news-throwback-when-michael-jordan-was-defeated-in-a-pick-up-game-by-a-mutual-fund-executive/
  18. Video Footage Safe Thread

    BRS gave you a lot of great comments. I think, like he said, you are sitting on a bit of untapped athleticism and I think it might be because you have a safety first mindset rather than a hit the ball powerfully and spin it more until it stops going off the table mindset. You need to be in the...
  19. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Your game is too clean, you have to find something that troubles your opponent even if he is a better player than you are. Think about the elements of winning points and which one you want to develop - I would start with serve and third ball or ball placement - but there are definitely many...
  20. Kou Lei vs Ayano

    BTW, 2200 seems like an underestimate, but usually, these top players don't want to play unless you make them play.
Top