Search results

  1. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    It's a common problem. Even Harimoto had/has it, to give you perspective of how deep the problem can be, and there are articles on how hard he has worked with a Chinese coach to bring balance and flexibility to his forehand while maintaining a backhand dominant game.. You can't improve a...
  2. Video Footage Safe Thread

    When a ball has less topspin than desired, there are two possible changes - 1. Change the stroke plane (which is what you are largely doing). 2. Chance the contact point while going to the same finishing position ( which is what I force you to do were I coaching you in person but at that ship...
  3. Video Footage Safe Thread

    I would agree with this if 1)I was working with Dominik in person and 2) if table tennis was a fundamentally intellectual activity. However table tennis is a fundamentally physical activity. And if is hard to correct physical imperfections that you intuit purely by explaining things in...
  4. Video Footage Safe Thread

    It is easier to answer these questions if you just practice quickly, post video, get feedback. Usually the topspin takes the form of a modified hit. So a topspin that comes from a modified hit is more natural to you than a topspin that tried to copy how you think a topspin should look.
  5. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Thus is a mixed bag and yes I suspect the balls you are playing against are no spin balls. Not sure what your situation is that prevents you from finding a club or real players. But you should still learn to hit that ball standardly rather than try to topspin it. Because the ability to adjust...
  6. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Building stronger leg/core muscles will do a lot for your playing level. If you can out some time into the gym or even without the gym, do some squats working with your physio therapist, over time, your forehand loop strength will improve. Whether that improves your overall playing level...
  7. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Some players use contraptions called "forehand fixing machines". What you are doing was recommended in a recent video I was watching on the forehand topspin - maybe Seth Pech - feel as if you have no more than a ball so that your arm is not too close, but the towel might create other issues...
  8. Video Footage Safe Thread

    How much lower body gym work do you do? In terms of physical exercise like squats, stretches etc.
  9. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Pretty much, the salute position is usually the result of the forearm snap, so you stop the upper arm and let the lower arm (or the "weight of the forearm") whip into the ball. For an extreme exercise, trace your shoulder joint as it moves throughout your forehand topspin. If it is in the...
  10. Video Footage Safe Thread

    That finishing position from Ma Long and Rich is a salute position. If you finish with a salute position, with the upper arm largely on the same side of your body, that is fine. Your practice video did not reflect a salute position.The main issue isn't so much where the arm finishes but how...
  11. Video Footage Safe Thread

    By the way, whatever one may think of different looping styles, note how low Dima's elbow is throughout his forehand topspin. There is room for different techniques depending on the player, but no one is going to recover quickly close to the table if your arm is above your head on the finishing...
  12. Video Footage Safe Thread

    I might get into trouble for saying it is not a very good one (way too much arm), but yes it is a flat/counter hit - it is one with the old celluloid ball when you could get away with stuff. If you want a video model, I prefer this one: https://youtu.be/PteXPY1V6Vw?t=23 Look at what Dima does...
  13. Video Footage Safe Thread

    NDH said it all, so read what he said carefully. You are a hardworking guy, I wish you could get good coaching in person.Get closer to the table, get a bit wider and try to not drop the paddle or straighten the arm - keep the elbow at the bottom of the stroke throughout the stroke. When you...
  14. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    If playing matches to improve, work on expanding your game. If playing matches to win, do what it takes to win. If you need to push, push. There is a time for long term development. When you play to win, if you feel that your best chance of winning involves using strokes you have practiced...
  15. Video Footage Safe Thread

    1. The robot should not shoot lower, it should shoot higher. You want the ball to bounce. It is better to practice strokes in the beginning with slower high balls than to practice with skidding low balls. You want the ball to bounce then you hit it. 2. Don't try to copy the pros in abstract...
  16. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Yes - a basic drive, mostly flat. Very relaxed - use minimal power, just hit through the ball with the right form/feeling.
  17. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Yes, but you have to start all over, you have already built a pattern that has habits you don't want to reproduce. So you need to start with a new hit, and then when you have the hit you want, build the topspin on top of that. Or you can try to build a topspin without upper arm on your current...
  18. Video Footage Safe Thread

    You're working really hard and some things are really good but some things show that you are working too hard. The upper arm is finishing way too high on the forehand side, which shows me that you are not using contact point and racket angle/swing trajectory to compensate appropriately. But...
  19. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    So I manage to watch the Liam Pitchford backhand masterclass and wow, I find out that like crappy old NextLevel, Liam Pitchford opens his racket, hits the left side of the ball and turns his wrist over the ball so that he has more contact area for a safe shot. I used to wonder whether I was...
  20. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Managed to get enough free time to play again. This is probably the 4th time I am playing table tennis this year. I am incredibly rusty, struggling to beat 1600 players. Hopefully, I will get better at something somehow... but I have to accept myself, even getting decent again could take a while.
Top