Search results

  1. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    So I have become even more fascinated with Nigerian table tennis, thanks to a very little known youtube channel. Obviously, some of the cultural nuances will be lost on some (even some are lost on me), but if you want to see relatively high level table tennis (usually 2000- 2650 USATT) depending...
  2. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    I was an equipment pundit back in the day. My current conclusion is that if you put in the hours, you will learn as you play and you can test other people's stuff. It really doesn't matter as long as it doesn't matter to the player. Equipment makes a small difference in the relatively big...
  3. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    At your level, no one talks about the obvious role of fitness because it doesn't reward as much as training specific technique, but the key is that the quality of your consistent technique can be easily improved by raising your core strength and leg strength as long as you don't get injured...
  4. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    The main elements of quality shots: power (spin/speed), placement, deception. For winning points/rallying, I would add control(defense/counterattacking), consistency and timing to the first three. Most players focus on power (getting heavy speed or heavy spin or both) for shot quality, but...
  5. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    In general, I encourage practicing looping with different contact points as a practice adaptation. As I tell people all the time, the stroke that puts the ball off the table against one ball puts it on the table against another ball. But I think adjusting your contact point would make your...
  6. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    Serves a part of the game, I am so happy you won, I would have been depressed if you hadn't. The 3-0 makes more sense My recommendation might not make sense, since I think a lot of your misses were partly because you treated like topspin or backspin a lot of balls that had no spin (he just...
  7. New Academy Masterclass! GUESS THE PLAYER TO WIN!

    I thought it was a rescaled Sharath but I am going with Sam Walker now.
  8. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    You can watch that free online you know....
  9. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    You are 100% right but if you are used to holding your paddle a certain way most of the time, trying to change where you start it in response to a particular ball without practice is pretty difficult. When you are used to playing topspins, learning to smash and carry your weight through the...
  10. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    Exactly, but on some level, you are at least a bit more aware of the gap between your technique and the limitations and now you are clearly aware, even if the practice isn't there yet because it is hard to prioritize, and even if you feel bad about losing a point in a match that you probably...
  11. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    Well, I shouldn't project too much into him, maybe he knows far more than he is letting on.
  12. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    There is some evidence to my blind and blinkered eye that you are holding the racket a bit too tightly. if you let the racket move in your hand a little and grab it close to contact, similar how you crack a whip, you might transmit more into the ball. Maybe you are doing this already and I...
  13. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    One of the simultaneously sad and amusing things in table tennis is watching U1000 level players without technique beat themselves up over missing shots. Peter's opponent in the first video exemplified it perfectly. Competitive opponent, trying his hardest with limited technique to win, and...
  14. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    Looking good, Wrighty67 (Peter). Things are better, everything could be better, but you are headed in the right direction. Hope you are enjoying the game!
  15. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    I think so... why do you ask?
  16. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Given the direction in which this chat has gone about using the off arm, I was pointed to this youtube channel which has good captions in English recently. I was watching this video and he talked about using the off arm to form a triangle to improve the timing/hitting zone. Turn on captions...
  17. Miu Hirano is back!?

    Hayata was injured but given that Hirano is the only player who has stared down the Chinese in a medal event when they fielded their best players. I have always had a special respect for her and rate her higher than Hayata even when Hayata has the better results. I find Hirano's WTTC bronze to...
  18. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    I suspect that one of the reasons that Ma Long uses a two handed backhand movement is that it reduces the twist on his backhand. But suspicions are not facts.
Top