Search results

  1. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    I can see that, the same stroke concept has strengths and limitations. Are you the same Richie as you were yesterday? Is Harimoto playing the same backhand in the clip I sent you that he plays? After all it is Harimoto's backhand. Just pretend you have two backhands now, one for each...
  2. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Yes - and don't just try to loop the ball with the arm, use your legs and your core to throw as much into the ball as you can while using the follow through to stay in balance and get ready for the next ball. As long as you make contact with the ball and feel like you are hitting a solid stroke...
  3. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    So I hate doing this because we are not these guys, but notice how he plays when he comes back. Yes he has a lower base, but you can see him through his body into the shot for the backhand - if he tried to setup and play it like you do, he would be late. You are practicing a footwork drill...
  4. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Yes, the bend is ideal but not required, just something that shows that you are trying to put something from the legs/core into the ball, even a circular rotation of the hips. You could even rotate the upper body a little to play the shot, but your arm won't get it done by itself. I was looking...
  5. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    When someone who has put ludicrous hours into serve practice writes, I can empathize and tell. I made a never published video on how to practice changing spins by serving into a towel - the towel slows down the ball so you can read the trajectory/spin and see whether you got enough spin to make...
  6. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    If your back is good, play the forehand band and backhand with the core, - your problem is that the forehand is arm powered so the stroke finishes too high, but you then want to take the ball in front of you rather than take it where it shows up with a circular loop with the backhand. IF you...
  7. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    This is very critical as goofing time is when you build your touch. And then you try the things that amaze you or you work on lobbing/fishing. You can build habits that you may use to win points in rare situations especially against lower rated players or if you are lucky, mess around and...
  8. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    Exactly, relative to pros, or even kids, we have much less training time so we have to find the things to work on that we enjoy and which keep us improving our results. In the end, with a coach like DerEchte, who got the results as an adult, LDM7 is in good hands. I had a late coach who...
  9. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    BTW, forehand blocking isn't the end of the world, but there are different kinds of blocks, one where the racket is just held out there and one hopes for the best and the other where you play a standard hitting/blocking stroke. If you do the latter, it isn't that different from a countertopspin...
  10. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    I think that we (DerEchte, BRS, and myself) agree and disagree on many things and for many reasons. Which is part of table tennis - but I don't agree with BRS's view of why I recommend counterlooping early though I do agree with differ on the philosophical value. The first thing about...
  11. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    The main trick to playing the forehand in front of you is that the legs have to facilitate the core being turned towards the ball on the backswing so you are looking at the area within which you are going to hit the ball. For adult learners who dont have time or dont anticipate well, it is...
  12. Pan American Table Tennis Championships-2022

    That was the men's singles final where Hugo won 4-0. Hugo lost 0-3 in the men's teams final.
  13. Please Explain this FH video instruction (especially korean guys)

    Your specific advice having seen his stroke is more valuable than anything I can say.
  14. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    Good match and as I said, both of you are on a good path.
  15. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    Sometimes in table tennis, we old learners (and even some of our teachers) act as if certain strokes are advanced and other strokes are not so advanced etc. I think the earlier you learn a stroke the better, and I think when you start to see topspin, you should immediately learn to play counter...
  16. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    LDM7, Both you and your opponent are on a good path. There are lots of things one can point out, but as an adult learner, the fixes can take you in a lot of directions and I think it is best you just work with the philosophy your coach wants for you to make it all come together. For me, I...
  17. Please Explain this FH video instruction (especially korean guys)

    I remember lots of posts I first read when I joined webforums saying that all that matters is what happens at the contact with the ball. My observation was more similar to yours, where I tried different stroke planes and got different trajectories and then learned to adapt my stroke plane to...
  18. Please Explain this FH video instruction (especially korean guys)

    DerEchte, he is rotating his upper arm. Sometimes, the problem is with what you are looking at, not with what the person is doing. Because the angle is changing when we look at it, we can assume things he may not be doing. But he is rotating around the axis of his upper arm Is it something...
  19. Please Explain this FH video instruction (especially korean guys)

    It is very much standard supination/pronation for relaxed spin in TT. Not everyone does, again some people would argue it is completely useless or not worth discussing in the context of much more important things like using the body/legs etc. But either because of ligament laxity or joint...
  20. Please Explain this FH video instruction (especially korean guys)

    I would very much disagree with you, but that is neither here nor there. So might this guy:
Top