Search results

  1. How to break the habit of a too long backswing?

    One of the things that Ma Long does to force his rotation is to punch towards where he wants to hit the ball with his left hand so he gets the rotation he needs to support a long atm backswing. Maybe you can try this
  2. Video Footage Safe Thread

    I am fairly sure it is originally used in tennis. Can't remember where I last saw it online but a lady used to use it at my old TT club.
  3. Video Footage Safe Thread

    There is not alternative but to consciously and deliberately experiment and learn. Which is what BRS was trying to tell you when he said it is the completely wrong attitude to complain about missing because it enforces the wrong mindset. The stroke that puts the ball off the table in practice...
  4. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Your left leg does twist a little so it is a matter of degree. The box lifting analogy is correct because it makes you rotate the both arms and hence the upper body, and not just the upper arm, the potential issue is the focus on the upper body and not on the lower body. Basically, when you...
  5. Video Footage Safe Thread

    That makes perfect sense. I trained with damaged knees for most of my game and it isn't worth it - I learned what I was missing, but I also learned that if something is painful, you won't do it under pressure in a match. You can work around it with a few tactical fixes and working on your...
  6. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Yeah, as we get older, those pesky disks ruin all kinds of things. It is one of the reasons why I am reluctant to comment on video sometimes. So always caveat these pieces of advice as limited perspectives. Basically, part of the reason your forehand stroke comes across your body when you...
  7. Video Footage Safe Thread

    When playing matches, your stance is almost always a backhand stance, in that you are set up to play a backhand. When you need to play a forehand, your legs core doesn't do any of the necessary preparation to play a forehand. If you look at how you stand at the table in the warm up, that is not...
  8. Video Footage Safe Thread

    So what you are doing looks and feels like a footwork exercise but is it really? To be honest, learning technique as an adult is a complicated thing, especially because there is no 100% technically correct and approved way to learn table tennis. There are just some guidelines that quite a few...
  9. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Footwork is a complicated topic - as someone who had crappy footwork almost for all my playing career, and even when I tried to develop good footwork still had it crappy (and let everyone remember, I started serious training in my mid 30s for context and got round to fixing footwork in my 40s...
  10. Video Footage Safe Thread

    Hi, Loertig. As funny as it sounds, the problem with your forehand swing is first and foremost your left foot and to a lesser degree your right foot which should be a bit more side on (it should point a bit more outwards than it currently does, or at least, twist as well with your left foot into...
  11. People who switched from carbon back to wood, how’s it going?

    I think the use of slower blades to coach beginners is a bit overrated with one exception- adult learners who do not have good feeling. I know many juniors who just used fast blades with Chinese rubber or fast blades period. I would go the fast blade with slower rubber for the 40+ ball. I...
  12. People who switched from carbon back to wood, how’s it going?

    The one thing I will add here is that Boll's switch to the Primorac Carbon was also related to his switching to Dignics 09c (slightly tacky rubber) on both sides. Sometimes these decisions have to be understood in the context of the whole setup, not just in the context of the blade.
  13. People who switched from carbon back to wood, how’s it going?

    The nonsense claim isn't as straightforward as you are making out...
  14. The Chess Thread

    Modern computers have more sophisticated valuation routines as well as better processing power. Your main point is correct though, and it takes a more sophisticated view of chess to realize that there is no real calculation without evaluation, and it is really the speed and level.of nuance of...
  15. WTT Star Contender Doha 2022

    I very much agree - it is sad to see someone playing so well and getting injured.
  16. WTT Star Contender Doha 2022

    Lim Junghoon too good off the bounce - Quadri can't play at that speed close to the table so he had to try something else but doesn't quite have the skillset.
  17. WTT Star Contender Doha 2022

    Good comeback, but not sure it is amazing when the attacker doesn't make you move to the ball or reach for the ball and never pushes it short. Maybe she truly attacked Han Ying's middle a few times.
  18. WTT Star Contender Doha 2022

    Well he needs to "revenge" Lim Junghoon first. If he does that, I can see him being a clear favorite over both Gacina and Karlsson, but Gacina looks extremely solid in this tournament and Karlsson played him tough in Houston (which I watched live). Regardless, this has been an Aruna tournament...
  19. WTT Star Contender Doha 2022

    I have my own engineering and analytics background (no masters in Statistics though too many courses). But I watch too much online chess and in blitz chess, one can think of Nakamura and Carlsen as being a version (and this is not a perfect analogy) of Fan Zhendong VS Ma Long where you know...
  20. WTT Star Contender Doha 2022

    "Many Times". Since you love "Bayesian analysis", which is based on probabilities and not absolute claims, you should post about Nakamura's success vs Carlsen at all time controls in terms of probabilities and expectations. And there is a difference between saying "calculation is all that...
Top