Your Darkest TT moments!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
Hello!

I was recently playing against one of the craziest and angriest players I have ever meet. I could not win a single point without him complaining about everything from his equipment to the blinding lights. He definitely deserved a red card after throwing his blade out of the court after the match.

I have also in my earlier years had some problems with my bad temper and done some things I’m not proud of. I was wondering if you got some stories that you wont tell your grand children, or any storie when your opponent has gone bananas after the match. Lets share our darkest table tennis moments with each other, and maybe the TT gods will forgive us and let us play better in the future!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
Funny topic! I know just what its like when you play against those players who complain about everything, it is actually very distracting! One of my darkest moments I can remember was when I threw and broke my bat, it was quite embarrassing and I wont be doing that again!

I have heard other people before saying that they have problems playing against whining people, I actually sees it as the opposite. When they start to complain I usually get stronger because I know that they are out of balance. But of course it's important to not fall into the trap, and keep on focusing to 100%.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
I got a story from a couple of years ago when I had a club mate who could completely lose it in some tournament. He broke his racket in the group game and because he didn't have a extra with him I let him borrow my spare. The day ended with him breaking my racket too.. I was not happy I can tell you but he bought me a new one and now some years later I can actually laugh about it :)

Reactions: reppina and Alborz
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I don't know that this is my darkest moment. But there is this guy who I know and I like, but I don't like to play with. Actually it has been a long time since I have played with him at all but I used to play with him and after this incident I continued to hit with him and do serve and receive drills with him but I never played another match with him.

So this guy cheats. Flat out, he cheats. He calls your serve a net when it wasn't but he dumped it into the net. He would try and get away with calling balls that he hit out edges. But not as a joke. One time I hit a ball at his body and it bounce off his chest and then he hit it with his racket and I just caught the ball and he pumped his fist and said "oh, yeah!" And said the score as though he won the point.

I said, it hit his chest and he said it didn't. I don't care. I didn't need to argue.

He also cheers for his nets and edges and bitches people out if they get a net and really freaks out when they start imitating his behavior and cheering for their own nets and edges.

This is all background. He is an older guy in his 70s and I do like him when I am not playing table tennis with him.

And when I first started playing again after a 20 year layoff he was way better then me and didn't act like that. But when I became better than him he started pulling all kinds of antics. Way more than the small sample I have supplied.

So at a certain point when I really was a decent amount better than him and stopped playing for real against him, I decided that when I played him, I just wouldn't play hard and would make sure the matches seemed close but that he won. Because when he lost it was a major pain in the backside to see him throw his racket, throw a temper tantrum, claim I cheated.

So I am playing this match with him and I am making it close enough but making sure he is winning.

After a point, I called the score and called the correct score. It was 5-3 in that particular game. He was up 2-1 in games and I was up 5-3 the 4th game. It was my serve and I had served first in that game. He told me the score was 3-3 and I should stop cheating. First I just reasserted that the score was 5-3. And he said I was wrong. So I showed him that, if I served first it could not be 3-3 and then I told him I didn't need to play with an old jerk who lies and cheats and then I described all his antics and said, I don't need to play someone I purposely lose to so he won't act out and that I had no intention of ever playing a match against the guy again.

And then I simply walked off the court at 5-3 in the 4th game.

A few weeks later he did apologize to me and I said thanks. But I also made it clear to him that what I said about never playing another match with him was not going to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
My darkest moment would have to be when I was still playing in the under 1200's. I was always getting paired up against little kids, and I was tired of losing against them. So I went all out this match against this little girl. I mean no mercy. I destroyed her. I was shoving it in the face of Jimmy Guo (this asian child who beat me every time, I showed him). After the match was over and i kept yelling in her face after every sweet victorious point. She looked at me with her sweet little innocent disney princess eyes. As they started to tear up it fell like my guts had just dropped out my behind. She started bawling, and her parents came and picked her up to hush her down and comfort her. Plus, to give me the evil stare, that you can only get if you are the evil villain in a disney princess movie. I feel bad that I did that to her because she was still learning and trying to have fun. I think i ruined Table Tennis for her because I have never seen her at any other tournaments. T.T

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
sLXftCu.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
My darkest moment would have to be when I was still playing in the under 1200's. I was always getting paired up against little kids, and I was tired of losing against them. So I went all out this match against this little girl. I mean no mercy. I destroyed her. I was shoving it in the face of Jimmy Guo (this asian child who beat me every time, I showed him). After the match was over and i kept yelling in her face after every sweet victorious point. She looked at me with her sweet little innocent disney princess eyes. As they started to tear up it fell like my guts had just dropped out my behind. She started bawling, and her parents came and picked her up to hush her down and comfort her. Plus, to give me the evil stare, that you can only get if you are the evil villain in a disney princess movie. I feel bad that I did that to her because she was still learning and trying to have fun. I think i ruined Table Tennis for her because I have never seen her at any other tournaments. T.T

Thats a rough one Cpenwillie, I hope she ended because she find another sport or so but if not maybe the TT gods will forgive you now when you have confessed and are regretting your actions!

My darkest TT moment was during a random tournament in 2005 or 2006. My beloved racket was stolen (Kong Linghui Special + Bryce +Bryce FX) and I couldn't contain my rage during my next match, speaking between EVERY POINTS (winning it or not, I was losing more points than winning BTW :D) while playing with my old blade (Joola Rosskopf power light) and very old rubbers, was missing alsmost everything and didn't respect my oppenent which should have considered me has a seriously brain damaged dude......

After that match, which I lost of course, I sweared myself to never enter in rage again during a table tennis match.

This was my darkest moment, was ashamed of myself after being so stupid.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I don't usually get angry when I am playing, but recently I have found it hard to contain my frustration. My health has caused me to have to take breaks from training and my level has fluctuated a lot and not being able to play the level I want to play at is really starting to get to me. I dented my paddle on the barrier tonight and dropkicked it too, then once I was done I took my rubber off and donated the blade to the club to hold myself from snapping it in half.

Pretty out of character for me but tonight was testing to say the least. Either way I restrained myself and the club has a used blade to make the most of. I think venting a little was necessary, and I make sure I don't target anyone else I just take it out on myself, as I should! :)

Back to the drawing board and well behaved until next time.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Matt, it is very easy to get like that if repeatedly, you do not perform to the high standard, not just on one or two shots, but on a LOT of shots. You got two things going, a desire to win and a desire to perform at a minimum (High) level of performance you know you should be playing at.

When you do not play even close to that standard, it is real easy to get into road rage mode against yourself.

Normally, I would be a real easy target for this personally. However, these last 2 tourneys I really dropped a lot of level, like almost 2 full levels. I missed stuff I had no business missing and failed to be able to open the point like I should. This last tourney I was really calm about it, I knew already my level dropped from doing absolutely zero TT minus the tourneys, plus I have a grade 2 tear of a tendon high up on my arm near my shoulder joint stopping me from taking too much of a backswing on a FH shot or too much of an arm swing on BH loop or especially when I reach for the ball, major ouch there.

I am pretty much in the same boat as you except I have no TT near me but a military rec center with no one really able to return a serve with any degree of spin on it.

says @giangt Sadly, I don't know azlan. I left a message on...
says @giangt Sadly, I don't know azlan. I left a message on...
Jun 2014
Read 3 reviews
There was a guy in a tournament I played that did have any respect at all. From chasing after the ball to not letting go my hand to even purposely getting me pissed. Assh•le. Every point he would yell out. Did I tell you he was a child? I was just....

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Nope, I just let vent to the self-loathing of the way I was playing in ways that should embarrass any adult.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Ear muffs. :) I sure let some words out two tourneys ago with the Seamed Poly Ball bouncing every which way but loose. Didn't mind losing, the players I lost vs were better players than me rating or no rating. I just expected to play in a tourney that had a ball that would bounce true and be seen easily, negative on both those counts and congrats to a TTD member Dustin.