Ma Lin and his boring game delay..

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
He is getting older. He is still a great player and fun to watch. I personally don't care if he takes time between points. That is what youtube and watching the edited versions of matches are for. When you watch a match live, the suspense of what will happen next should keep you focusing on the match. And if a player takes too much time, the umpire of the match can call it. If it does not bother the other player and it does not get noticed by the ump, then I don't see what the problem is. Ma Lin is not my favorite player but it is sort of hard not to like a guy who puts that much into the game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Well those are important points and both take a time before they are ready at the table. But Ma seems to be wanting to have the last grasp of time-wasting before the game starts :p It looks excaggerated from him, but since he is a great player it still doesn't bother me too much.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Oooki, another one from the same match!
Look how long do they play and how long do they not..
On 11:10 he managed to 44 seconds between points.. He even found invisible dirt on the floor that had to be removed, omg !
Really boring.. also next few points, rallyes around 4-7 seconds and the resting time around 30 seconds..
I only want to watch Ma Lin´s matches in a short form from now, they are reaaally boring..

says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Ma lin is possibly the best in the world at the mid game his short returns and the control he has around the table is amazing, maybe he looks like he does this relatively effortlessly and this is why some may perceive him as boring...but he is a genius player, very smart

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2011
Yeah, I really don't see that big of a problem with it. If the opponent was smart, he would use that time equally to settle his nerves and prepare and think about the next point. Ma Lin's play style requires a ton of energy so yeah of course he wants a little breather in between point. Judging him on the period in between points seems like a weird way to reach the conclusion that he is a boring player, since during the actual point, which is what matters, he does some of the most amazing stuff of any player. He is the probably the most technically sound player in the entire game

Yea, I 'm in agreement with you Scylla24. It's his style of play; and maybe "boring" is not the word to use; as he's far from it. He's one of a few guys that not only uses the traditional penhold style but still has that attacking RBH like Wang Hao. He's a very strong attacker and he still do damage off the table; though that's not his preference. Just to add to what Michal said, another thing Ma Lin does is he dries the ball with his shorts. that adds about another 5 - 7 seconds. :D