The Advanced Response Blade - The Future of Table Tennis Now! - by Anthony.R.Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There are a few coaches from China in NYC who teach a way of holding the racket by the blade face with the index finger and thumb. The interesting thing about this grip is that, it allows you to switch from FH grip to BH grip without even knowing you did it because, as the angle of the wrist changes, so does how your index finger and thumb hold the blade face.

Other advantages are that, your hand is more relaxed because you don't have to use the other three fingers nearly as much and this also makes it so that more subtle shifts of angle for inside-out or hook on either wing or closing or opening the blade face are much easier.

The last advantage is probably the biggest. This way of holding causes you to have much better control of the blade face and much better touch and feeling. So things like how Der_Echte talks about increasing hand pressure on contact are much more useful.

On FH the index finger is more important for pressure into the back of be blade face on contact. . On BH the thumb is more important for the same reason. But the finger on the front of the blade face (thumb for FH and index finger for BH) helps stabilize the blade face and increase the spin and catapult effect from how you can control the ball sinking into the topsheet and sponge.

That precision is hugely valuable.

But I have the feeling that you won't understand what I'm saying since you are emotionally linked to this ARB grip. Emotions are killing objectivity.

It would be nice if Damion (ARBrown/TTfanForEver) actually wanted to have a dialogue about the details and specifics.

But it seems he is not actually here to promote a product. He is really trying to get people to respond so he can argue. And it is unlikely that we will ever see this racket in action. And I have some doubt whether a real one actually exists. The photo versions that have been presented with the rubber on, they don't look like real photos to me. Something looks off and photoshopped especially at the edges. But the shape of the blade face seems off to me as well.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
I cant believe that you actually get into a conversation with the guy. The blade is utter nonsense.

No fingers touching the blade = no information= bad serve , bad short game , uncontrollable shots, no accuracy, no feeling. The only thing that's maybe worth it is if you try to play tennis shots far away from the table and compare the power and spin with the normal grip. Fingers touching the paddle is essential to play table tennis at a decent level.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I dont think he is even a troll, he actually believes what he says

It is hard to say. But, to me it seems he is more focused on getting people riled up, making unsupportable claims and continuing to stoke the coals.

A normal person who had designed and was promoting this video would have said to Dan, "you want me to post a video of the blade in action, and not to make further comments antagonizing members: Okay: here is the video. Now we can talk more." But his response was to attack Dan, get kicked off the forum and to make two new profiles to show Dan, just blocking his member name and IP Address was not enough to stop him. And instead of posting video, he declared TTDaily, Ooak Forum and MyTT blocked from seeing his videos.

As to why post: some good discussion has come up even though it wasn't by ARBrown/TTfanForEver/Damion. Killerspintt's post was awesome and it got me thinking more about how versatile the Penhold and shakehand grips really are. How much feeling and freedom you get from the fingers touching he blade face.

So, despite ARBrown's worst efforts, some good information has come up here.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Jan 2016
At this point i dont even care what the ARB blade can or cannot do.
I just wanna see how far this guy can go

Hey damion! How do you go about doing a bh flick without spraining your wrist?

The Boot is really on the other Foot on this one concerning (How do you go about doing a bh flick) When it is well known and proved in play that both the Shake-Hold and Pen-Hold Blades suffer from BH problems! and is the reason Players use a different normally Slower Rubber with more Control on the BH to try and Compensate for the Weakness!
Where as the A.R.B Loop-Hold does not suffer from a BH Weakness :) because the Hold is in the Middle of the two shown as FH(A.R.B Loop-Hold)BH and it is Recommended to use the same Rubbers on the FH and BH if using offensive Rubbers (2.0 mm - 2.1 mm) and Definitely Not! MAX :( ? Butterfly proved years ago that the Best Rubber Sponge thickness for Speed/Spin/Control in one Rubber is (2.1 mm)

The Best way to show the Strengths and weaknesses of the Three Main Holds for the FH and BH is by using a Numerical Chart using the Values 1 - 10

Shake-Hold - FH = 8.5 BH = 7.5 Total = 16

Pen-Hold - FH = 8 BH = 6.5 Total = 14.5

Loop-Hold - FH = 9 BH = 9 Total = 18

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The Best way to show the Strengths and weaknesses of the Three Main Holds for the FH and BH is by using a Numerical Chart using the Values 1 - 10

Shake-Hold - FH = 8.5 BH = 7.5 Total = 16

Pen-Hold - FH = 8 BH = 6.5 Total = 14.5

Loop-Hold - FH = 9 BH = 9 Total = 18

I love this: such solid research. Where is the support for the numbers? My research has showed this:

Shakehand - FH = 8.5, BH = 8, Short Game = 8, Touch and Feeling = 9, Total = 33.5
Penhold - FH = 8.5, BH = 6, Short Game = 9, Touch and Feeling = 10, Total = 33.5

Loop-Hold - FH = 7.5, BH = 7.5, Short Game = 6, Touch and Feeling = 2, Total = 23

Those are my numbers based on the research I have done. It was a triple blind test. We can ask Pnachtwey for the formulas. He likes coming up with formulas. He is always quite helpful that way.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
By the way, in the triple blind test, we used 2 blind guys and 1 blind gal. It took them a few tests of touch and feel to figure out who was who.

Also, it was discovered that the terrible numbers on Touch and Feeling that the Loop-Hold (also known as the Purse-Hold) blade scored, resulted in lower numbers in all the other categories because, without touch and feel, the precision, control, and spin of higher level shots was not possible in any category.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A lot of participants in this thread (ARB/Damion excluded for obvious reasons) somehow seem to enjoy feeding the trolls and arguing with crazy people. Carl, I suspect you don't do it in real life, so why Internet forum would be different?

When someone is this ridiculous, I feel it is okay to entertain myself. I have fun being a clown. I do think this thread is totally funny.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Jan 2016
I love this: such solid research. Where is the support for the numbers? My research has showed this:

Shakehand - FH = 8.5, BH = 8, Short Game = 8, Touch and Feeling = 9, Total = 33.5
Penhold - FH = 8.5, BH = 6, Short Game = 9, Touch and Feeling = 10, Total = 33.5

Loop-Hold - FH = 7.5, BH = 7.5, Short Game = 6, Touch and Feeling = 2, Total = 23

Those are my numbers based on the research I have done. It was a triple blind test. We can ask Pnachtwey for the formulas. He likes coming up with formulas. He is always quite helpful that way.

Wild! Random Numbers considering you have never played with The A.R.B Loop-Hold :confused: :rolleyes:

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The Advanced Response Blade - The Future of Table Tennis Now! - by Anthony.R....

Well, actually, I originally thought I was the inventor of the Purse-Hold blade.

But then I found out that, before I had invented it, Skippy LaRue had invented it too. Amazing how mind expanding drugs like marijuana can make you think the stupidest things are actually ingenious inventions.

The big trouble with the Purse-Hold blade is that this kind of thing keeps happening:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.