German Team Doctor: Plastic ball may be reason for injuries

This user has no status.
TischTennis.de interviewed the German National Team Doctor, Dr.Toni Kass

Translation of interview in English below:

02/28/2016 - The news of Dimitrij Ovtcharov withdrawal because of Injury caught many fans by surprise. What exactly is wrong with Dima and why does it feel like that there is always an injured german team member at every major event? We talked with team doctor Dr. Toni Kass about the injury problems. For him, the plastic ball bears the blame for the problems and the training needs to be improved.The adjustments so far are to small.

dimitrijbackinjuryy.jpg

myTischtennis.de: Can you explain why Dimitrij Ovtcharov withdrawal was necessary?

Dr. Toni Kass: Dima has back problems, which can be traced back to the fact that he has suffered an sprain last training camp. This is a similar story to a few months ago. The cause is the cross-iliac or sacroiliac joint, which repeatedly james up and brought a nerve irritation. That is not dramatic, but if he had to play, it would be trated by useing permitted aids(painkillers). We then reluctantly decided to withdrawal, so he can recover well and prepare for the rest of the season and the highlights, especially the Olympics.

myTischtennis.de: So it is something acute, but what is the fundamental problem ...

Dr. Toni Kass: It is now the second time that this problem has occurred, which is why we don t want to take any risk of an injury for a longer period of time. Therefore, we are doing it properly now. So we should be safe in the future.

myTischtennis.de: What kind of treatment does he get?

Dr. Toni Kass: He rested for a week and now begins with a gradual reconstruction, partially with his father in Hameln, where he plays in the "Level Low" area , but he concentrats especially on physical rehabilitation and stabilizing.

myTischtennis.de: Timo Boll is already one step further. How are you satisfied with his progress after the knee surgery?

Dr. Toni Kass: The knee is about 99 percent recovered and can be regarded as healed.

myTischtennis.de: But he is affected by a cold right now ...

Dr. Toni Kass: Yes, he has a viral infection. As one might assume, Rossi and I decided together that he takes a break today.

myTischtennis.de: injuries are a big issue in the German team lately. It feels like that there is always an injured german team member at every major event? How so?

Dr. Toni Kass: There are serveral reasons. One point is certainly the plastic ball. The rallies are 20 % longer with the new ball.There is a higher demand on raw power rather then tactical finesse. I think that the burden on the players is different and they still aren t used to it. One can argue about it, but in my opinion this explanation is plausible. In most cases it's still a concatenation of several things.

myTischtennis.de: The Chinese are also indicating that the plastic ball is a factor for their injuries. Why are even trained athletes reacting so blantant to a slight change in material?

Dr. Toni Kass: On world class Level even small factors have an extrem effect. If one considers that they are always playing at the limit something small can turn out to be the final straw.

myTischtennis.de: What can you recommend as prevention?

Dr. Toni Kass: We need to mobilize in principle and give sufficient time for stabilization and athletic training. For me as a non-table tennis player there is also another thing: So far, the players have been waiting for the new balls to catch up with the old ones. I believe that we now need to prepare that this does not happen, and should be offensive to adapt to the existing conditions. It's a new ball, so I have to change and react accordingly. The rallies are longer, so the training needs to be adjusted.

myTischtennis.de: An important question to conclude with: What is the probability that Dimitrij Ovtcharov and Timo Boll will be 100% fit at least at the Olympics ?

Dr. Toni Kass: Great! I am positiv that there will be no difficulties for both.

Reference: http://www.mytischtennis.de/public/...stikball-kann-mit-schuld-an-verletzungen-sein

What do you think? Have you had any injuries since using the plastic ball? Do you think the plastic ball has an effect on your body?

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Wow, in the US it is illegal for a doctor to provide that much private information about a patient he is treating.

In any case, these balls do make playing more stressful even way down at my level.

says Hi, I am a life-long table tennis enthusiast and...
says Hi, I am a life-long table tennis enthusiast and...
Mar 2014
I think there is definitely something to it. I have found myself using faster blades and rubbers to compensate for the increased physical effort (that I cannot muster).

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I have noticed among many amature players, both O40 and even some young guns a number of rotator cuff injuries. Might be me noticing it more since I nearly tore mine clean off clearing snow, but I suspect it is players trying to go for too much on their shots, especially while slightly out of position.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
I kinda like the 40+ poly myself. Nittaku Premium would be my first choice (durable now, they used to be fragile). Butterfly G40 would be my second choice. I've noticed even the G40 is lasting longer now. When these balls first came on the scene they were like egg shells. But now they're starting to last a bit longer. If only they could be made with more consistency. Less wobble, more balls that are perfectly round.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
In spain the same is not mandatory to use it and is annoying because one club play with it another no ! So for example mu club dont and when you play outside maybe they use it so we are not use to it ! Is a big difference between plastic ball and old ball

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

This user has no status.
All the clubs around Ohio use the Nittaku Premium and it isn't too bad, still nothing like the cell balls. NCTTA used Double Fish 40 plastic balls for one tournament and we would go through 5 balls per match because they would break so easily. Now we use Double Fish 40+ and they're the same as the NP I believe, so not bad. In practice I use XSF and they last longer than the seamed ones so far. In the last year and a half I've fought biceps tendonitis twice trying to "swing out my ass" according to my playing partners. I was doing it thanks to bad strategy and bad form though, not so much to make up for lost speed. Maybe the new balls will force us all to focus more on strategy and fluidity of our stroke rather than raw power ;)

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I am noticing quite a lot more injuries in the juniors I am coaching than normal. The plastic ball has definitely made the game a lot more physical. Especially when developing and learning the sport. The juniors are finding it a lot harder to play shots against backspin, more effort is needed. I think when the Nittaku Premium ball is being used it's not so bad. it's the slower plastic balls that require more effort.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
All the clubs around Ohio use the Nittaku Premium and it isn't too bad, still nothing like the cell balls. NCTTA used Double Fish 40 plastic balls for one tournament and we would go through 5 balls per match because they would break so easily. Now we use Double Fish 40+ and they're the same as the NP I believe, so not bad. In practice I use XSF and they last longer than the seamed ones so far. In the last year and a half I've fought biceps tendonitis twice trying to "swing out my ass" according to my playing partners. I was doing it thanks to bad strategy and bad form though, not so much to make up for lost speed. Maybe the new balls will force us all to focus more on strategy and fluidity of our stroke rather than raw power ;)

The double fish 40+ balls NCTTA using are absolute trash, breaking left and right. I use nittaku 2- star and 3-star premium balls and i cant feel how much spin I'm putting on the DF balls

This user has no status.

What part of Ohio? I know Columbus uses Nittaku Premium 40+ and Butterfly G40.

Dont blame on the balls lolz, work on your physical strength and condition to play the game. The new balls are here to stay :) just some tips, cable or elastic rope or light weight working out on those shoulders, also squats and legs , calves raises. Up back work out are pull up and rowing for lower back muscles. Using foam roller after work out or training would be great. Dont forget to get in the sauna too. Last but pretty important lolz, get the massage once a while would be help too on top of everything else :) of course healthy foods. You put in what you put out :)

This user has no status.
What part of Ohio? I know Columbus uses Nittaku Premium 40+ and Butterfly G40.

Akron USATT tournaments use Nittaku, NCTTA (collegiate) uses Double Fish regardless of location. Played with the Butterfly last night and they are very, very weird sounding. Play close to cell though.