am I mentally disturbed?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
I am the typical ordered guy, I follow the rules, I do everything as it should be done....
I use my viscaria with t05 like the bible says.....
buy today I just found myself thinking

"I'm gonna go get the fastest blade of the t series from yinhe, the fastest rubbers I can get and I will play with that and I will play the best tt I have ever played".

do you think this is normal?

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
Yes. You are reaching a healthier balance in your conformity - non-comformity scale. I'm referencing Ross Bentley on this idea from his book "Speed Secrets : The Complete Guide to High-performance and Race Driving".

The book is obviously for motorsport athletes, but it applies to table tennis, too. Basically, you're breaking the "rules" and wanting to test out a setup that is faster than you should probably be regularly using.

The catch is that it's a mistake to think that you should never even try an ultra fast carbon setup until you're 2400+ USATT, and it's also a mistake to think that you can hop a level above what you are and magically be up to the level of the blade.

Being in the middle is what you want, and you're more in the middle now.

If you're smart, you will test out the fast setup to see how it's like, but you won't stick with it and formulate bad habits if it causes them.

Remember, many years ago, beginners were not taught to loop until about 1800 because it was deemed too advanced. Now beginners get taught after one month. There's nothing wrong with trying "too advanced" things.

Reactions: fais and NextLevel
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Table tennis equipment is like one of those mind worms that the goon squad is always sending out. It gets into your head and you can't think straight till you buy and try what you are thinking of.

Nexy Akrasia
Butterfly Garaydia T5000

Pair it with Bryce HighSpeed.

Rocket launchers ready; fire away!

==
Stand up and be counted for what you are about to receive
We are the dealers
We'll give you everything you need
Hail hail to the good times
Cos rock has got the right of way
We ain't no legends ain't no cause
We're just livin' for today

We rock at dawn on the front line
Like a bolt right outta the blue
The skies alight with a guitar bite
Heads will roll and rock tonight
For those about to rock, we salute you
Fire!
Shoot, shoot
Fire!
==

I'd say that about sums it up.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Talk about crazy. I spend $500 on two custom made ST handle Viscarias from Butterfly. Wait three months in breathless anticipation. Finally receive them. They are beautiful absolutely identical twins.

I sold them both a few weeks later because I can't adjust to the SQ-ST handle they put on it (which was not the shape of the original Viscaria ST or S T handles, but I digress).

So now I am using the ZJK-ALC ST I had bought as an interim until my custom Viscarias arrived. Nice round ST handle, and not ridiculously fast.

Handle shape matters a lot.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I wouldn't go faster, you'll try it and like it at first, but then you'll say "nah, I played better with my old blade. if only this blade had a bit more flexibility."

At this point my friend, you're on a bad track to becoming an Equipment junkie. Don't listen to Carl He's clearly undercover for the goon squad... next thing you know, he'll be telling you to boost too.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
... next thing you know, he'll be telling you to boost too.

Boosted Brice HighSpeed sounds awesome. Maybe boosted and speed glued.

But for real, there is nothing wrong with having a rocket launcher in your arsenal. You will be able to tell if it is for blasting the ball around a bit or for using as your main weapon. For most people it would not be as a main weapon. But look what Schlager used.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: Shuki
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I had to get rid of all my rocket launchers so I wouldn't be tempted anymore. Closest thing I have to a launcher now is my only carbon blade; Innerforce ZLC. Whenever I get the feeling that I could use more speed I go to this since it has such great feeling, but then I always come back. Holding onto it is saving me quite a bit I presume.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Talk about crazy. I spend $500 on two custom made ST handle Viscarias from Butterfly. Wait three months in breathless anticipation. Finally receive them. They are beautiful absolutely identical twins.

I sold them both a few weeks later because I can't adjust to the SQ-ST handle they put on it (which was not the shape of the original Viscaria ST or S T handles, but I digress).

So now I am using the ZJK-ALC ST I had bought as an interim until my custom Viscarias arrived. Nice round ST handle, and not ridiculously fast.

Handle shape matters a lot.

After playing with ST handles for most of my TT career, I changed my grip and can suddenly see the value in FL handle and can't use straight handles as comfortably anymore.

Reactions: chuckjordan2
This user has no status.
This is hilarious. I just got rid of my "rocket launcher" (though, more of a relative term when it comes to the rest of my gear) as well! But, I am so happy I got to build it and try it for a few days!

I recently built a shake hand paddle (I'm pen holder left handed, but shake hand right handed, or rather right handed in training) which turned out to be a bad ass rocket - Yinhe v15 with H3neo 40 degrees black forehand and Jupiter medium hardness red backhand along with fais' renowned perma-boost treatment (utilizing the secret powers of concentrated minerals that babies benefit from daily to supercharge your rubbers - patent pending). Taking a few steps away from the table and this paddle was a beast.

However, I just sold it today for 80 bucks (cost me 66 to make) to a coworker who tried it and instantly fell in love with it. I'm glad I got to experiment with it, but I realized I lacked the touch, sense and control to really benefit from it right now.

I intend instead to build another paddle better suited for training - I have chosen the Yinhe w-6 for my blade, and probably Mercury (soft) for my backhand, and am currently looking to a similar but less advanced alternative to H3neo, possibly TG3neo which is softer.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Looking back and having in mind the money I have spent in equipment and realizing how much I need multiball to get to my best level of play, I realize that all that money could be invested in multiball sessions with a coach and obtain everlasting and better technique/footwork.
Lesson learned but hey, who am I to tell you NOT to buy these stuff ? :p

Its a process most players need to experience, buy equipment, satisfy their curiosity/enthusiasm/ realize none of it really worth it. Cry over your equipment and then quit playing table tennis ! Or buy a coach for multiball :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I'm lucky, whenever new students go to my coach and have equipment questions wanting to get their first "real" paddle my coach always points them to me. I was able to sell everything I had to players who would benefit from it. I wasn't stuck being down so much money. Also because everything I built had good control, my coach has given me quite a few lessons as payment for these setups that she wanted for herself and training. This saved me quite a bit as she'd give me more lessons than the paddles were worth if they were brand new, such kindness.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Instead of buying a rocket launcher blade, try becoming yourself a rocket launcher. ;)

I wanted to make sure you'd come back to this thread by replying to this post. I wanted to make sure you knew your post didn't go unheard. It gave me a genuine laugh and there were other likes on it as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Nah. This is different. I didn't even plan to put this blade together. I just did it by accident and it felt right. Then I realized that I had changed my grip so much that it wasn't going to work with straight handles anymore so I went FL this week. 90% of my blades are straight and I may not be able to trade them so...

I now realize what my game really is - I do best with medium to fast blades and slowish, spinny offensive rubbers because I play close to the table. So Donic Baracuda was it but the sponge just collapsed too often on hard balls. AndySmith had been pushing Omega V Asia to me for a while and I finally give in and gave it a try. And then my love of hard sponge came back instantaneously and the rubber could do everything I loved ... except block because the soft topsheet was spin reactive. I was willing to give it a try anyways and then suddenly, with some experimentation, I figured out how to block topspin with it.

When you play a game like this with a combo, you know you have found your brother (just watch the first set - forget the rest of the sets - it should take you about 4 minute from the start of the video to finishing the 1st game/set).

Reactions: fais
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Video post

Very impressive game, should have posted that with your guess the rating thread that you said someone guessed 1200. You made your opponent pretty scared in that first game. Don't feel like watching the rest but something tells me he lost the fear and gained confidence. You get a lot of rotation with your arm, I've never seen someone get that much speed and spin by looping without much CONTROLED weight transfer.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Very impressive game, should have posted that with your guess the rating thread that you said someone guessed 1200. You made your opponent pretty scared in that first game. Don't feel like watching the rest but something tells me he lost the fear and gained confidence. You get a lot of rotation with your arm, I've never seen someone get that much speed and spin by looping without much CONTROLED weight transfer.

I do have freakishly long arms but it is a technique itself. People just spend so much time thinking about the body and the knees etc. that they don't try to figure out what the arm can do. I have no knees so my thing is figuring out how much you can get from the arm - arthritis might ruin my efforts but the general concept is sound.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
Yes. You are reaching a healthier balance in your conformity - non-comformity scale. I'm referencing Ross Bentley on this idea from his book "Speed Secrets : The Complete Guide to High-performance and Race Driving".

The book is obviously for motorsport athletes, but it applies to table tennis, too. Basically, you're breaking the "rules" and wanting to test out a setup that is faster than you should probably be regularly using.

The catch is that it's a mistake to think that you should never even try an ultra fast carbon setup until you're 2400+ USATT, and it's also a mistake to think that you can hop a level above what you are and magically be up to the level of the blade.

Being in the middle is what you want, and you're more in the middle now.

If you're smart, you will test out the fast setup to see how it's like, but you won't stick with it and formulate bad habits if it causes them.

Remember, many years ago, beginners were not taught to loop until about 1800 because it was deemed too advanced. Now beginners get taught after one month. There's nothing wrong with trying "too advanced" things.

I have been playing for around 10 years so I wouldn't say I'm a newcomer to the sport.
Also I played for around 8 months or more with amultart + tenergy both sides.
I even played tournaments with it.
And I did pretty good.
I think it's mainly how I feel at the moment, sometimes I just have those moments where I completely relax and it's like I was in another world and I just can't miss.

Sometimes I feel like playing not so much spin game but a more direct game, like ito mima but farther from the table.
like samsonov or fegerl.

Last edited: