Proposed Increase in Net Height!

Should the height of the net be increased?

• Yes

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 92.5%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
So tonight we raised our nets a bit, actually over 1cm just to see how it would affect our play. Now I'm not a great player but some of the others at the club are quite strong. 1950-2250 USATT range. Practice and hitting around went as normal for everybody, but when the games started the change in the net was definitely noticeable, everybody had to refine their serves because they were all used to serving so low. But after about 15 minutes everybody was fine. Of the players in that high level range I specified there were 8 of them. Not one of them had a problem with the net, they actually said it made the game more enjoyable. The only backhand flicks off serves given were moderately high and punished for flicking so high. Nobody's style struggled much.

It was extremely interesting to me that even the flat hitter who is physically incapable of looping, around 2100 level even enjoyed the game more. He's known to push short and the fact that it was harder to initiate a strong attack off his pushes made even the flat hitters game gain some advantages. This penholder has been known to complain about the polyball, saying it ruined his game, but tonight he said, "If they actually go through with this change, the polyball will be playable".

So here's my question. How many of you have actually tested a higher net with intentions of adapting to it for an extended period of time. Or are you just saying what you THINK might happen that would hurt the game. From tonight's play the overall decision was that it actually helped flatter hitters that were capable of chopping/pushing short, and spinners were virtually unaffected, there tended to be quite a few more off the table looping rallies than normal, but most the players just thought they were playing well tonight.

Low level players will hardly be affected, and the top tier will adapt. How could something that opens up the styles of play be such a bad change?

says what [IMG]
I think it's the same case as defending being very viable at all levels except the very highest.

We don't really know what'd it do to world-class play, but it COULD definitely benefit the sport. I don't want to deny that, because 1cm is not so much as people think.

But, unless it gets extensively tested and a general consensus is reached that it's benefiting the sport in a professional sense and in a fun-sense, then I'm against any changes that could drastically alter the game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I think it's the same case as defending being very viable at all levels except the very highest.

We don't really know what'd it do to world-class play, but it COULD definitely benefit the sport. I don't want to deny that, because 1cm is not so much as people think.

But, unless it gets extensively tested and a general consensus is reached that it's benefiting the sport in a professional sense and in a fun-sense, then I'm against any changes that could drastically alter the game.

It won't be a drastic alteration. When we raised the net we did 1cm at first but realized it was a LOT less than we though and then raised it a bit more. After today, I'm actually pretty hopeful for the change. The atmosphere at our club hasn't been as enjoyable as it was tonight in quite a while.

says what [IMG]
It won't be a drastic alteration. When we raised the net we did 1cm at first but realized it was a LOT less than we though and then raised it a bit more. After today, I'm actually pretty hopeful for the change. The atmosphere at our club hasn't been as enjoyable as it was tonight in quite a while.

When YOU raised the net. It worked for you, but it might not work for the pro game. That's what I'm getting at.

You can't say that because your experience benefited, a completely different experience will also benefit. We'd need to do tests, for longer than one night. Maybe after some time, you start to notice things you DON'T like.

It's still better than theorizing though: because what you experienced might as well be relevant at all levels for all we know. I am still not keen to jump to conclusions.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
When YOU raised the net. It worked for you, but it might not work for the pro game. That's what I'm getting at.

You can't say that because your experience benefited, a completely different experience will also benefit. We'd need to do tests, for longer than one night. Maybe after some time, you start to notice things you DON'T like.

It's still better than theorizing though: because what you experienced might as well be relevant at all levels for all we know. I am still not keen to jump to conclusions.

But it seems you've jumped to a conclusion that it will drastically change the game. I understand what my clubmates found as a pleasant change the pro's may not. But I'm not seeing why everyone is saying that the change would be so bad if nobody's had any experience or has any idea of what it will actually do to the game. Only time, testing and more time will tell what it will do to the game so deciding that it's a bad change without the hindsight to see how it actually changes the game seems like ignorance and an unwillingness to accept change to me.

But hey, you could be right, maybe it will ruin the game. But honestly if their testing leads them to realize that it would ruin the game, don't you think they would decide to not put the rule in place...

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews

have to say that I admire someone who actually took the time to check it out. I hope you are right.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
have to say that I admire someone who actually took the time to check it out. I hope you are right.

Serves are the only thing that seem to need to be adjusted a bit. The game is virtually unchanged at the level of us lowly american players. I'm sure it will affect the top level to some degree, but they'll adapt. They aren't just going to decide, "well this was fun being on top for a little while, guess I'll quit now that some of my stuff isn't working." They'll find new things that work or expand on the shots that do still work.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Rule Changes.jpg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I just think that worrying about something that is in the proposal stage is a waste of time. And I still have not seen anything concrete from ITTF on this subject. I do believe they are looking into testing it. But who will test it? For how long? This isn't going to just happen.

Does anyone have any concrete information about this from ITTF?

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I just think that worrying about something that is in the proposal stage is a waste of time. And I still have not seen anything concrete from ITTF on this subject. I do believe they are looking into testing it. But who will test it? For how long? This isn't going to just happen.

Carl's right.

If the proposal was real, then Good squad should probably have leaked information by now.

Myth Busted.

TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews

Absolutely. It is in the trial stages as we debate about it. I spoke to delegates at the World Teams after the ITTF meetings and to Samsonov regarding some of the things which were discussed to 'further the sport' and this was one of them and it has been confirmed that they are now in trial stages about how it could be carried out etc and how much height increase could work if they were to do it.

I wouldn't write it on my blog if it was just speculation, this is something which is seriously being considered by the ITTF.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 4 reviews
If they really do this, I hope some sort of non-ittf table tennis organization will stand up so we can keep on playing with the same net height.

This user has no status.
Its just disgusting. I think no one will like this idea. All players should oppose it. It will make it difficult for players to hit the topspin, flick and very difficult to topspin against backspin as the ball will be hit the net most of the time. The serves which become let will return back once the net height is increased. It will be very difficult and awkward for offensive players. I fully oppose it. We all should write e mails to the ittf. Is it not a good idea? Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N750 using Tapatalk

Last edited: