Proposed Increase in Net Height!

Should the height of the net be increased?

• Yes

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 92.5%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2014
if they wanna bring more spectators to the sport, why dont they start by actually using full HD streams of the main events for EVERYONE to watch, from 4 diferent angles?, instead of having a SUPER POOR quality stream in the main youtube channel of the ITTF that is so poorly designed and recorded that you can barely watch the ball, and even the recreational table tennis youtubers have better quality video material than them.

Dont make the game slower, SHOW it in a better way in better angles like those chinese trial matches that someone recorded in the trainer's angle of view and posted in youtube, that give you such a bigger understanding and sense of awe about the game.

Reactions: swayamsd and BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
if they wanna bring more spectators to the sport, why dont they start by actually using full HD streams of the main events for EVERYONE to watch, from 4 diferent angles?, instead of having a SUPER POOR quality stream in the main youtube channel of the ITTF that is so poorly designed and recorded that you can barely watch the ball, and even the recreational table tennis youtubers have better quality video material than them.

Dont make the game slower, SHOW it in a better way in better angles like those chinese trial matches that someone recorded in the trainer's angle of view and posted in youtube, that give you such a bigger understanding and sense of awe about the game.

Right, this would definitely help the spectating. But it would also be a fortune to require this many cameras for a sport that they don't know if people will truly ever want to spectate on a big scale. And these camera's wouldn't fix the problem they've created by creating the plastic 40+ ball.

says what [IMG]
Perhaps we need to remember that the main reason why people don't watch table tennis is not because they're as dumb as the ITTF thinks they are and they can't follow the small ball, but it's because they simply don't have interest in the sport.

Maybe we should get more people actually playing and admiring the pro play, and we would get more spectators.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Perhaps we need to remember that the main reason why people don't watch table tennis is not because they're as dumb as the ITTF thinks they are and they can't follow the small ball, but it's because they simply don't have interest in the sport.

Maybe we should get more people actually playing and admiring the pro play, and we would get more spectators.

Most american's I run into have no idea that table tennis can be a competitive thing here. Occasionally there will be some special on tv where table tennis is on, but then they simply see chinese dominance and they think it's an asian sport. They'll never really understand much of what actually goes into the game because they've never been given much information about it or even seen it at a decent level. Why would they respect a game that they imagine to be on the same level as air hockey and foosball (Games that are considered sports, but not necessarily for physical capability). We see Esports taking off because everyone that has ever played a video game can relate to it. Not every american has played a competitive player to entice them into getting good.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2012
@lethalforehand

You said the change they're making is going to ruin what's been good so far. How is this going to ruin things?

I see this as them fixing the mistake they made in changing the ball size again. Rather than slowing the ball down making service easier to read and attack, this time they seem to have thought the change through a bit more.

@kencc
Not so much contradicting myself, I'm rather fixing my initial statement because ttmonster changed successfully changed my viewpoint a bit. Props to you for sending a complaint letter. I hope it contains some of ttmonster' points about how they should make changes differently and you're not just complaining in the letter about the change being bad.

Sent from my using Tapatalk

IMO Increasing the net heights will again take away some of the spin and finesse from the game. They made the game a lot less spinny by changing the ball. I expect less short game and more long serves to get the rally started right away with a higher net, which will reduce the complexity of table tennis. Someone said above they are making tt similar to tennis. That would be awful imo.

Reactions: BeGo
says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
Administrator
Oct 2010
Top comments on TableTennisDaily's Facebook Post.

topcommensnetheight.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Banning hidden serves was a good thing. Bring back 21 point game, 38 mm ball. Maybe 15 point game would be better. IMO with 21pt the first-to-win 2 not that good (even worse than 11pt game), f-t-w 3 too long for an event where are many players.
(Note: I started playing 3 years ago, so played 21pt game just for fun.)

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
It might suit the way I play. But this change would drastically reduce the effectiveness of modern defenders, SP players, and it would further homogenize the game. Another bad idea from ITTF.

Stop dumbing down our sport.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
IMO Increasing the net heights will again take away some of the spin and finesse from the game. They made the game a lot less spinny by changing the ball. I expect less short game and more long serves to get the rally started right away with a higher net, which will reduce the complexity of table tennis. Someone said above they are making tt similar to tennis. That would be awful imo.

How will a higher net reduce spin? you need more spin to get it over now if you want decent pace. And serving long would happen less with a higher net since you can't serve long and fast with it higher. Serving long would become suicide. This hurts flat hitting players more than spinny players.

Edit: I still want to hear someone give an answer to the ITTF's flub of a mistake they made changing to the polyball. we all agree that this was a mistake but nobody's giving any answer on how to fix it. Simply changing back to the old ball isn't an option for them so changing the net height seems to be the best answer.

Last edited:
Does anyone think that complaining is really going to change an ITTF decision?

How many of you have stopped playing because of the Poly ball? Or not played in a tournament because of the poly ball? Most likely none of you. And how many have bought some (or many)of the poly balls? My point being that you have contributed financially to the vertical poly ball market. And have reinforced an ITTF decision. Personally, I like the poly ball as it's slower and I'm older. And any ball (celluloid or poly) is an expendable item (eg. always will be replaced after some use).

Same will happen with the net height increase....

Reactions: Shuki
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
A higher net will place more a premium on being able to hit with high arcing heavy topspin from mid and far distance.

This is the very thing that is spectacular for spectators to watch and is also fun for players. It is also (like Baal foresees) going to place choppers in a disadvantage - maybe not the allrounders like Gionis who like to "guide" or fish , but I also see even more play gravitating to the mid to far distance duking it out kinda topspin style. (as Baal compares to milk processing)

This is gunna become Macho-Man Table Tennis for sure.

Something that is ALREADY a bad trend is that we ALL (even the pros) have to try to exert even MORE force to get the ball to do a little less than it was doing - this is wrecking ALL MANNER of HAVOC on players tendons - both shoulder (rotator cuff) and elbow. I have never seen so many amature players O40 with so many shoulder hurts. In my region, of the O40 attacking crowd, alomst HALF of them have some degree of a tear ranging from a minor annoying grade 1 to a close to the redline grade 2.

When we make the rallies even longer and the players trying to go for 120% on shots as 110% isn't getting the job done, AND we are pretty much making them do this for another 2-4 shots in a rally (as opposed to still some kinda chance to finish on 3rd or 5th ball) I see even more potential for the stress on the tendons to do its thing and become a royal pain in the azz.

Having to exert oneself beyond what is reasonable in order to TRY to achieve a satisfactory result (and fall a litte short of their desires) has zero favorable trendlines in my crappy opinion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
I will subject to that new rule when it is implemented provided..they change the wood 25mm table into concrete so that the ball will bounce higher also. I think that new rule will put players more on the injury side for it will require more physical strenght added to the new polyball.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I think they should raise the height of the table , this will be really helpful in bringing more spectators :

1. Tall guys won't need to bend down , saving a lot of back injury
2. We stop getting beaten by the 10-2 year old Lilliputians who are fast-tracking their way to 2400 :p
I will subject to that new rule when it is implemented provided..they change the wood 25mm table into concrete so that the ball will bounce higher also. I think that new rule will put players more on the injury side for it will require more physical strenght added to the new polyball.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rajah*