Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Here's a trick I kind of taught myself and may have shared on this forum before, but maybe not. So many of us know, muscle and quickness with raquet speed aren't really correlated. Now here's a trick I've used for a while to develop better whip mechanics and get that quickness up.

If you own a clicky press, you're in luck. Slap that clicky press onto your raquet and do 50-100 mirror strokes with it.
Next, use your lightest raquet. (Mine is just a blade with no rubber on it). and do the same amount of mirror strokes with the light raquet. with the light raquet focus on how quickly you can burst forward with a whipping motion.

You'll be suprised at how much this helps.

If you don't own a clicky press, find your heaviest raquet and use that. the difference between any paddle and a paddle with no rubber is pretty substantial and should work out fine.

Reactions: Boogar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
@Player87

For me, it happens because I hit the ball too much, but the real reason is because I use my arm to swing at the ball, not the hips as much as I should.

I've just done hip twists and shadow strokes and drives against block for a few months and the problem has lessened as my form got a little better.

It could be other things as well, but chances are if you learned with no coach like I did as well, you might have a problem of using too much arm anyway.
yeap might be a reason. Just need hours of practice of FH loop with and without footwork to make muscle remember new swing.

says what [IMG]
@Archo BTW is this table and footage at your home ? it looks quite spacious
Hahah, good one.

If you're serious, think about it for a second. In your country, you would have a real "takkyu-bu" and maybe even a team in those places.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
EJ Update sponsored by Nexy Karis and the Goon Squad

I went to the league today to see what I could do with the Garaydia. I got there and found that so many good players showed up that I was forced into group 2 (some players had also gone to get ratings points at other clubs where it is easier to win matches).

In group 2, I went 4-1 as the top seed, losing to the #2 seed, a pips out penholder that I have played many times and posted video of my play against. I simply could not make the required adjustments to loop with the Garaydia. It seemed that there was some humidity but I think the bigger issue is that the thickness of the Garaydia does not let me establish my preferred finger positions on the racket naturally. I really could shave the Garaydia wings a little as well as the upper part of the handle to solve this issue and maybe this is why I should have preferred an Amultart. In any case, I decided that since I had another fast blade candidate competing with the Garaydia, I don't want to shave the Garaydia until I am satisfied that the alternative is not good enough.

The alternative is an Innerforce T5000. It feels more like a natural looping blade. I will try it out mostly on Thursday and Friday and report more. Tomorrow is my day off from TT.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
NextLevel,

How dramatic your changes. From Yasaka Extra right to Amultart. Huge increase in speed I think. Is it for the sake of testing purposes only or you are really going to change your equipment?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
NextLevel,

How dramatic your changes. From Yasaka Extra right to Amultart. Huge increase in speed I think. Is it for the sake of testing purposes only or you are really going to change your equipment?

I wrote a post on why a couple of pages back and yes I am going to change my equipment. I haven't used an Extra in almost two months.

This user has no status.
Hopefully will have some more footage to show you guys soon, we have the Channel Islands (Guernsey vs Jersey) top 12 tournament this weekend (top 6 from each island play each other) and it should be recorded.... Well, parts of it anyway.

I'll keep you guys updated and will let you know how I get on. Their line-up has a combination of Left handers, Right handers and players who use pimples, so it will be interesting for sure.

:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Hopefully will have some more footage to show you guys soon, we have the Channel Islands (Guernsey vs Jersey) top 12 tournament this weekend (top 6 from each island play each other) and it should be recorded.... Well, parts of it anyway.

I'll keep you guys updated and will let you know how I get on. Their line-up has a combination of Left handers, Right handers and players who use pimples, so it will be interesting for sure.

Looking forward to seeing it :) and you'll have to let me know if you're going to Bath GP, it's all booked for me and I will be there on the Sunday too. Not sure if the others from my uni are wanting to go look around the city on the Sunday though.

This user has no status.
Looking forward to seeing it :) and you'll have to let me know if you're going to Bath GP, it's all booked for me and I will be there on the Sunday too. Not sure if the others from my uni are wanting to go look around the city on the Sunday though.

Unfortunately won't be able to go to Bath, flights from GSY were super expensive (around £200) and not at convenient times at all, and hotels seem to be really expensive as it is just after Valentines Day...

All of this on top of the £90 entry fee, seems a bit steep.

I'll be doing the Jersey Open as my next GP.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Unfortunately won't be able to go to Bath, flights from GSY were super expensive (around £200) and not at convenient times at all, and hotels seem to be really expensive as it is just after Valentines Day...

All of this on top of the £90 entry fee, seems a bit steep.

I'll be doing the Jersey Open as my next GP.

That's a shame, understandable though! Travel and hotel costs plus entry was almost too steep for me as well but being my first GP I couldn't resist the temptation.

Reactions: Yecats Encerwal
says what [IMG]
Morning class cancelled, so I had a few hours time to play table tennis.

I showed high level TT to a friend of mine recently, who I had casually hit with a few times, a total beginner. He got interested in the game and I'm now playing with him and teaching him. He likes Wang Hao, Oh Sang-Eun and Waldner.

We'd done a bit of basic drilling and stuff to get him started, just basic coordination things.

Today he was at the level where I think I could get to seriously teaching him how to hit the ball. I got to teaching him the basics of stance, forehand counterhit and some theory on how to hit forehands.

All I really did was show him the stance and adjust him little by little by many means. That took some time.

Then I started teaching him the basics of forehand counterhits. The thing that worked best was to take him side-by-side with me and to make him look at me and copy my stance with my instruction, then we did slow shadow swings and he copied me.

We did shadows for a bit, then I made him shadow by himself once he started getting it.

Once he was looking good, I showed him how to self-hit the ball over the table and how to do a counterhit on the ball. Similar to what Carl has shown. He could do one bounce comfortably, so I saw no need for double bounce.

He did that, netted the ball, kept hitting it over my head etc. for some time and little by little I adjusted him and he started getting it. First he went very slow and I had to keep correcting him to use less arm and more body. More body and keep the arm static, I screamed!

The ball was slow and high for some time but he was getting it. Finally, we progressed to a stage where he could consistently hit the ball with a mostly technically correct swing. Keeping the arm pretty much static and just rotating his body to produce the power. He had some unnecessary movements and whatever, and I kept correcting him and urged him to understand that all he really needs to do is turn his body from his hips.

We did that for an extended period of time and he got his quality to a level that is pretty good actually. Very little effort on his part, and an okay amount of power. His consistency was very high and he could get the ball deep on the table and low when I told him to.

Then I told him to produce a faster ball and I showed him how. Rotating the core faster, at a different timing and tempo. His first shots at the different tempo went completely out of the playing field but he eventually got it. I told him to move a little bit faster, and start turning a little bit later but hit the ball at the same height of the bounce. I was telling him to hit the ball on the top of the bounce, and I adjusted his timing until I thought it was good. He was hitting it a fraction too late but eventually we corrected it a bit. But it was not too far off to begin with.

Now he can do quite nice counterhits onto a self hit ball at different speeds, with a good consistency. I then told him to try to take a 2nd swing onto the ball that comes off my block, and it took him a bit of time, but he started landing those. Obviously, they were not nearly as good as his self hit ball. He uses too much arm and not enough body on those. That will take some time to correct. Just natural I think.

After he could get his bat on the ball and he could do a few in a row with okay form, I started moving him a little bit. Then we got into footwork and more stance related things. He is rushing a bit and I think he tenses up a bit when he moves to a live ball, but it's progress. He was reaching before that. Now he uses his legs.

To finish it, we played some "games" where he serves me self-hit counterhit, and then we start driving and pushing back and forth. His consistency is much higher than before the training. Sometimes he does a nice swing if the ball is where he wants it. Sometimes not. That's okay I think. He also started moving to some wide balls that he did not move to before, and could even return some of them. High and without quality, but it's an improvement. A few times he drove the ball past me with speed that I didn't expect.

This took about 5 hours. He is still a very new beginner, of course.

I don't think I have taught him any bad things, and he has clearly improved, so I think today was good. I got to work on my own footwork and counterhit form, too. This also trains my block, because I need to keep it consistent so people can hit an easy ball. Overall, a pretty good day.

Reactions: Dan and Jirrex
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Fortune has found its way to my home! :)

25.01.17 - 1.jpg

Thank you very much NL! I am really looking forward to trying out the Karis rubber!

The customs got their hands on the goods and had me pay 30 bucks, I suspect a inside man of the Goon Squad working there !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Fortune has found its way to my home! :)

View attachment 11886

Thank you very much NL! I am really looking forward to trying out the Karis rubber!

The customs got their hands on the goods and had me pay 30 bucks, I suspect a inside man of the Goon Squad working there !

It is sad that they think anything TT related must be a sale. Do they tax EVERYTHING?

Reactions: Jirrex

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Love this topic!

I couldnt believe my luck today when Peter Karlsson walked into the hall at Falkenburg TTC in Sweden. We had some great chats about the future of TT through the use of social media and websites and how its great for the sport.

We also talked about his new job role in Qatar. I will upload a vlog soon with interviews with him and the club. I also did a 1 set challenge with Peter to!

Good fun! Will keep you posted!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Love this topic!

I couldnt believe my luck today when Peter Karlsson walked into the hall at Falkenburg TTC in Sweden. We had some great chats about the future of TT through the use of social media and websites and how its great for the sport.

We also talked about his new job role in Qatar. I will upload a vlog soon with interviews with him and the club. I also did a 1 set challenge with Peter to!

Good fun! Will keep you posted!

You must love getting the chance to meet so many of the greats. We will all be forever a little bit jelly

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Due to @doraemon and @Gjayesh request.

Arch, you've been getting better than i've expected.
1)
As others have already written it seems to me that you've made a step from an absolute beginner to an ambitous beginner, which might not sound a lot at first but actually really is.
I never thought this was possible without any real coaching and mainly learning from online advice. Congrats.
But nevertheless as others said before your game has flaws, so IMHO you should try to get a coach asap so you can quickly start to work seriously and not let bad things become habitous.

2)
You really love wearing jeans, don't you? I think i've already said before it just looks strange and not serious at all of you don't wear at least some sports garment.
Is that some kind of youth club where you play? It doesn't look like a tabletennis club, so maybe that's a reason for your uncomfortable gear.
PLUS it just makes our sport and everyone who practices it seriously look a bit stupid. This is not Darts or Chess or something.
But I think I'm not the only one who's been telling you this.

3)
You don't have to apologise. But you really don't seem to have a feeling for the right timing when it's better to just be quiet. But I also think you're still quite young so i blame it on that and probably your missing feeling for this also affects your real life, so i guess you'll learn your lesson....sooner or later and hopefully not the hard way.

After all your enthusiasm you show for the sport online is infectuos.