Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says I am just looking for someplace to play during a week...
says I am just looking for someplace to play during a week...
Mar 2016
Gene,

I just saw the ratings post from your El Paso, TX tourney... you jumped 220 FREEKING ratings points !!!

That is a FULL TWO LEVELS jump.

You can tell Next Level to give you his screen name for the rest of 2017.
Thanks Der Echte,
Just tried to make quality shots and keep the ball in play like you and Next Level have advocated. Was in Austin last week for South by Southwest music festival and stopped at the T.T. club there two days to hit. I played a lot with a 2000 rated player that I had met at the Nationals last summer that is a backhand oriented player. We worked on my serves and footwork and he was really kicking my ass on the drills. Until I lose enough weight to bend my knees more I am going to really have technique problems. Work in progress.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I haven't played league in over a month but I figured that if I Want to play the PA states, now is as good a time as ever, more so since I played a tournament on Saturday last week. I was going to play last Tuesday, but we were snowed out.

I got there for my matches about 20 minutes late, and without warming up, being the genius I am, I decided to play a long pips player (the one that some of you have seen me beat a few times). I then proceed to swing too fast at the ball and lose 10-12, 10-12, 11-13, despite being up in every game and having a 10-6 lead in game 2. He was the #6 seed in 7, while I was the #3 seed. Talk about lack of practice.

I then proceeded to lose to the #1 seed, 2-3, the #2 seed 1-3, and beat the #4 seed 3-2 (14 - 12 in the 5th, a match inspired by Xu Xin and which may leave me with permanent shoulder damage from straight arm looping like a monster), beat the #5 seed 3-1 and beat the #7 seed 3-0.

The first match was a little disappointing but it shows what I missed from not competing as hard. Usually beat my opponent easily and he played well, no doubt but I could have been sharper.

Now I just hope my shoulder survives... but at least I won the match against the #4 that caused it :D.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
I haven't been posting in this thread for a little while, simply because there isn't anything much to post about due to me not playing much, and how terrible my playing environment is for improvement. (at this point, you may be thinking, why am I complaining so much, but I only really realized this after what happened tonight. The reason is because our uni club is using at least 5 different 'brands' of balls, and when i say 'brands', nearly none of them are 'ittf approved', and they are all still 40 not 40+. some of them feel like paper, some look like they can be fluorescent! The bad thing is that there is no barriers in a basketball court, with 8 tables. So if I was to bring my ball to play there, it will be lost in no time. With such a variation in ball quality, it is really difficult to practice any technique, as every ball is basically different, and I spend more time looking at the ball Im holding than thinking about what I should alter in my stroke)

I got to farewell my Taiwanese friend who is going back to his country after his graduation. He told me he has been playing some oldies back in Taiwan, and they beat him. He also said the players at the university play daily, so that is a huge difference to the level we get here.

Anyway, there were 4 of us playing together, for the last time playing with our friend 'K'. I used my ball DHS 40+. Good old ball, Ive been playing with it for more than 20 hours, including tonight, hitting it at max speed against metal and what not, and it still survives!

I played each of my friends, in the sequence: K, T, E. Then we played doubles.

So I played K first. It was actually a tough match for me. He improved since he went back to play in Taiwan for only 3 months, and I probably got more rusty due to playing less as well as how poor the training environment at my uni is. I took the first set, he took the 2nd set. I barely took the 3rd set after duels, and I think that was the game changing set, as I was behind, and came back to level it at 10-10. I took the 4th set (and final set) at 11-9. Winning it barely at 3-1. This is the only match that I recorded, as my phone was out of storage, and I improvised without a tripod by putting it on my blade holder, which turns out to be not too bad. So I might upload that and show you guys as you may be wondering how bad Ive got since the last time you guys saw me playing lol. (but please be patient, Im back in Aus, so there is no more 4min upload, but probably hours lolol).

2nd match against T: I played him perhaps a week ago, and that time I barely won against him 3-2. I sort of knew I have some trouble receiving his serves, so I tried to anticipate it so it does not shock me as much. I played better this time, and beat him 3-0 while playing quite aggressively, making alot of high risk shots.

3rd match against E: He knows my game the most, as he used to be my informal coach last year when I go play weekly matches. My most recent records against him had been quite close, either winning 3-2 or losing 2-3. Today, I was playing at my peak for some time, and I beat him 3-0! There was a set that was very close, but I held my ground, and tried to play natural, not holding back, and did some good RPB serve return. Quite happy with the results really, as I was expecting this to be the hardest match out of all.

4th match: the doubles.
I teamed up with E, as we always do. Won the doubles 4-1. Quite a convincing win, with a score of 11-1 in 1st set.

From how well I was able to perform tonight, I can totally see the significance of ball quality. Notice here, I am not talking about whether I want to use butterfly or nitakku or DHS balls, I am talking about just simply a decent ball. The past few weeks, our club has been using balls of all sorts (that aren't even decent, without ittf approved brands, some of which I call paper balls, as their sound is so different, their weight is like I'm hitting paper). Today I got to use my own ball, a 40+ ball throughout the whole session, and my touch benefit a lot simply from that. No more trying to adjust to each ball every rally.

Anyway, I am happy with my performance tonight, and I am happy to farewell my friend off. I may find him in Taiwan in the future, as it isn't hard to visit Taiwan from HK. But tonight's experience really made me think twice about going back to the uni club, simply because of the balls. This year is not going to be the table tennis year for me, as I will be focusing on my final year of studies, I am quite certain I will be quite cautious in choosing my club next year!

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
@JeffM : Even if you write your name on the ball it will still get lost ? Thats what people do in clubs I have play over here

No.. I don't think it will work well, because as soon as one person hits the ball long, you either start chasing it till the end of the basketball court or it goes missing. Ppl pick up the balls without looking at whether there are names or not, and the balls often have names of our club anyway so nobody will pay extra attention as to what the text writes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Tough luck Jeff !
No.. I don't think it will work well, because as soon as one person hits the ball long, you either start chasing it till the end of the basketball court or it goes missing. Ppl pick up the balls without looking at whether there are names or not, and the balls often have names of our club anyway so nobody will pay extra attention as to what the text writes.

says what [IMG]
I've noticed, based on video, that I have overall pretty good body movement on the backswing and start of swing, but I have a really serious lack of following through with my body rotation. I think I am probably pretty seriously decelerating into the swing, due to that.

I'm pretty certain it's in the legs. I do this weird narrow-stance dance on most of my forehands that aren't pivots.

@JeffM

I will take a look. Although I can't offer any advice, obviously.

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Si-hing!

Feedback welcome

~1:30-1:36 - you netted the 3rd ball but look at that spin!

~2:36-2:40 the reverse pendulum! you may recall my old comments ... feel that you are landing the serve consistently - but it's telegraphed ... no deception whatsoever ... this serve worked mostly for you as your opponents were not able to make use of the telegraphed serve ... at some point some devoted practice time to land the reverse pendulum off of your regular pendulum stroke instead of the telegraphed reverse pendulum stroke ... "All warfare is based on deception." ~ Sun Tzu ... but you know that already... just si-dai reminding you :)

*** Did K serve topspin or nospin or both? you popped up the 2nd balls (i still can't read spin lol) ***

~0:30-0:34 K served to your FH, you FH pushed back, due to camera angle, not sure if it was long enough for you to loop it back ... you popped it up - top or no spin?

~1:38 - 1:42 looks like you stood in the middle of the table, hard to tell with camera angle, and returned with a bh push which popped up - top or no spin?

~2:26-2:31 K netted the 3rd ball, but you BH push popped up the 2nd ball - looks like he served to your middle or you were standing more in the middle than to your BH side - top or no spin?

don't have time to watch rest of the vid... only got to watch your first game... general comment, your 3rd ball loop and footwork looks as smooth as i recall from old vids.

will watch the rest later when freer

thank you as always for posting vid of your games!

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
@JeffM : Even if you write your name on the ball it will still get lost ? Thats what people do in clubs I have play over here

i don't have a pic handy but Der gave me 2 or 3 balls... he marks his balls with the Hanja/chinese character for 'King' :)

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Si-hing!

~1:30-1:36 - you netted the 3rd ball but look at that spin!

~2:36-2:40 the reverse pendulum! you may recall my old comments ... feel that you are landing the serve consistently - but it's telegraphed ... no deception whatsoever ... this serve worked mostly for you as your opponents were not able to make use of the telegraphed serve ... at some point some devoted practice time to land the reverse pendulum off of your regular pendulum stroke instead of the telegraphed reverse pendulum stroke ... "All warfare is based on deception." ~ Sun Tzu ... but you know that already... just si-dai reminding you :)

*** Did K serve topspin or nospin or both? you popped up the 2nd balls (i still can't read spin lol) ***

~0:30-0:34 K served to your FH, you FH pushed back, due to camera angle, not sure if it was long enough for you to loop it back ... you popped it up - top or no spin?

~1:38 - 1:42 looks like you stood in the middle of the table, hard to tell with camera angle, and returned with a bh push which popped up - top or no spin?

~2:26-2:31 K netted the 3rd ball, but you BH push popped up the 2nd ball - looks like he served to your middle or you were standing more in the middle than to your BH side - top or no spin?

don't have time to watch rest of the vid... only got to watch your first game... general comment, your 3rd ball loop and footwork looks as smooth as i recall from old vids.

will watch the rest later when freer

thank you as always for posting vid of your games!

Hey OSP! Thanks as always for your detailed analysis!
I shall try to address your points:

1. 2:36 Thank you for the reminder about trying to add in deception! I shall definitely work on that in the future when I play a bit more. In the match, as I have not practiced that serve for a long time, I am happy the serve lands xD My arm muscles are probably on auto-pilot there.

2. 0:30 His serve is a top spin one, therefore, my misreading of the spin popped it high.

3. 1:38 I was standing still towards the left side of the table, I think it is the angle of the camera, which I do apologize as I forgot to bring my tripod so I had to make do with using my bat holder + someone else's wallet! But I hesitated in the serve receive, changed from going for a rpb return to a chop, and that did not work well haha.

4. 2:26. Yes he served to my middle! I still need to get more used to being more decisive as to whether i should use rpb or fh for receiving those. From how the ball reacted to my chop, I will say it is a light backspin serve.

Thanks for your advises, and I look forward to the rest :D

says what [IMG]
@JeffM

0:30, I don't think that's a topspin serve. I would treat it more like no-spin to be honest.* The reason you popped it up is because your angle is open and you pushed through the ball, not the spin IMO.

*To me, a topspin serve means that it truly has a good bit of topspin on it, and it's not just very slow rotating topspin ie: no-spin.

Here is some footage from today. I couldn't hit any serves, but it's something.

It's not a heavy spin serve: I'm more concerned about deception and being able to hide it as backspin and no-spin. I can serve this serve as side and no-spin and have it look pretty much the same.
It's a staple serve for me. I just wasn't hitting it at all today.

I'd like to hear your thoughts as to why that might be, and how I could improve it. I think height is pretty good, but accuracy and especially spin could be improved.

Later I added in some recovery from the serve to check on that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
Played against #3 team in the league and sadly we lost 5-9 so they took our spot. If we had won one more game it could have been 8-8 but welp didn't happen. I went 1-1, I am kinda satisfied with my performance. The first game I lost 1-3 against some left handed 2,X meter giant who was my worst nightmare game wise. Gotta work on my forehand flip to beat this kind of player.

The 2nd guy was more my style and I beat him convincingly 3-0. We could still make it to the higher league through relegation but we can't afford to lose more games now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
WP_20170324_13_53_37_Pro.jpg

Yesterday I hit the edge of the table trying to loop a risky half long ball. The result is 2 cracks one more visible than the other:( I don't think I can properly replace it by just buying it again since its already quite old and my father sanded a lot off of the wings and handle. I feel kind of lost right now and am a bit afraid that it will take me lots of time to get used to a new one.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
View attachment 12587

Yesterday I hit the edge of the table trying to loop a risky half long ball. The result is 2 cracks one more visible than the other:( I don't think I can properly replace it by just buying it again since its already quite old and my father sanded a lot off of the wings and handle. I feel kind of lost right now and am a bit afraid that it will take me lots of time to get used to a new one.

I feel ya bauschule! My best blade i called "Exalibur" has been 'Frankenstein'-ed so much i finally laid it to rest... still trying to get used to Excalibur's replacements LOL

Good luck with getting used to a new one should you retire your current blade.

Reactions: baumschule