Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
So I thought about it, I think your problem on the forehand is that you engage the upper arm too much. I am not sure it is really too much but it seems you are compensating for not folding or unfolding your torso with raising and dropping the arm on the swing sometimes.

sorry NL to not having answered earlier

thank you very much for giving a lot of thoughts to my problem. to be honest, i've read it more than 10 times carefully, and i can't make 100% sense to all of it yet, but perhaps after some other sessions i will.

Sometimes i feel that instead of focusing on all the wrong things that we do, it might be better to focus to try to fix only 1 right thing at a time. And because actually many of our problems are linked all together to some common cause, just fixing one problem will actually fix more than one !

i saw my coach yesterday and he said about my FH (and also my BH to some lesser extent) that my stroke was not good because i was not stable and doing something different each time, but the main thing is that my swing was going too much up and the bat angle not stable. At the end of the swing, the bat should never end above my head but always below. A simpler stroke - not even talking about the body - is what i need. but always the same.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
sorry NL to not having answered earlier

thank you very much for giving a lot of thoughts to my problem. to be honest, i've read it more than 10 times carefully, and i can't make 100% sense to all of it yet, but perhaps after some other sessions i will.

Sometimes i feel that instead of focusing on all the wrong things that we do, it might be better to focus to try to fix only 1 right thing at a time. And because actually many of our problems are linked all together to some common cause, just fixing one problem will actually fix more than one !

i saw my coach yesterday and he said about my FH (and also my BH to some lesser extent) that my stroke was not good because i was not stable and doing something different each time, but the main thing is that my swing was going too much up and the bat angle not stable. At the end of the swing, the bat should never end above my head but always below. A simpler stroke - not even talking about the body - is what i need. but always the same.

Well I can explain what he is trying to say because I have a similar problem. Usually, pros drive most of their stroke with their body not their arm. If you watch carefully, you will see that they often rotate their upper body and hips to move the racket and the upper arm rarely moves much to add power.

So you are using your upper arm sometimes to adjust to the ball, just like most of us adult learners do. You should really be using knees or leaning forward as necessary to get lower and straightening to get higher. Your hips should doing the work of adjusting to the ball as well. But like I said it is hard to do and keep the ball on the table as a drill if you are learning as an adult.

The solution to make it slightly better is in multiball to not focus on how hard you swing or putting the ball on the table to but ensure that the body is doing most of the work in moving the racket and not the upper arm.

TTEdge has been trying to teach how to use the body better to support strokes so I have begun to appreciate this better and see more fully how my knees and arthritis limit me. But I have also seen it get better.

For example, when looping backspin, many adult learners drop the racket with their hand. The racket should be in the same place and you should drop your body by leaning over your racket hip and twisting in the same direction.

Sorry maybe too many words still. And maybe this isn't your problem. But if you use your body, the stroke tends to look the same because the body is adjusting not the arm.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
@NL
thanks for explaining better
i think i'm getting some of your idea.
I don't know the *reason* why i do that, i certainly don't WANT my swing to be that high, or my wrist / hand to do strange things as I hit the ball. Focusing on using my full body to adjust is a very clever way to find some answers.

Actually in the last few weeks, i've managed to change a small but important thing. when the ball comes to my middle and i get it with the FH, i developed the habit to still make a move forward to the ball as I move the body (and try to stay low). If i don't make this move i would always have the angle of the racket too open and the ball would go wide off the table. So its a particular kind of ball coming to FH where i CAN adjust better now. But for more regular balls, yeh adjusting with the body (perhaps without moving too much the feet) should help me as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
I felt good driving to my club for training yesterday, but didn't think in a million years it'd be so great. I think I am in good form lately. Good feeling during warm-up (all backhand topspins were going in, even my forehand topspin looks at least plausible now :) ). After a bit of exercise and doing drills, I played the manager of the team (1st in individual stats in polish 4th league, 100% winning matches). Won 4:1 :D (11:2, 11:4, 12:14, 11:5). It felt great :D. Last year I couldn't even block his 1st attack. I hope to lose 15-20 kg with new diet to get to my goal of 85 kg. Coach said that he'd like me to play in 4th league next season. I am thinking about it. Sorry, but I had to tell it because it felt so good to finally see effect of those drills after all this time :) Good day to you all. I have to record our next match so I can get some tips from you guys :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Losing weight is a great way of improving every area of your game.

I felt good driving to my club for training yesterday, but didn't think in a million years it'd be so great. I think I am in good form lately. Good feeling during warm-up (all backhand topspins were going in, even my forehand topspin looks at least plausible now :) ). After a bit of exercise and doing drills, I played the manager of the team (1st in individual stats in polish 4th league, 100% winning matches). Won 4:1 :D (11:2, 11:4, 12:14, 11:5). It felt great :D. Last year I couldn't even block his 1st attack. I hope to lose 15-20 kg with new diet to get to my goal of 85 kg. Coach said that he'd like me to play in 4th league next season. I am thinking about it. Sorry, but I had to tell it because it felt so good to finally see effect of those drills after all this time :) Good day to you all. I have to record our next match so I can get some tips from you guys :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Reactions: ttmonster
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Did The Sacramento Summer Open.

Got wiped out in doubles with a team having a 2500+ level guy with a consistent lady.

Entered the U2200 Giant Round Robin. Was a B player (2nd ranked) in classification group stage. Went 1-1 to move to Giant Round Robin group (3 players) as a B division player. (All players in the Giant Round Robin stage groups are same classification. My Giant RR group had 3 players, I was highest rated of the 3, so I should win, right? I did, but more on that later. I advanced to semi finals, won, made finals. Played vs a crafty dude who is a full level or more better player than me. He came 1 point away from defeating Scoobie Doo Tsos Sergey, he lost 12-14 in the 5th set vs him. (And Scoobie is 3 levels better player than me.)

Lost the final 1-3. Overall, a 4-2 record in singles. My ratings will barely be affected, maybe a 10 point move. I will discuss some take-aways and why this is another strong tourney performance.

- For the 6th tourney in a row, I was very composed and imposing my tactics where I could. I had a plan, several plans, but ultimately, in those tourneys, I played vs way better players or had a few bad bounces. (In Giant RR classification stage, I came back in 3rd game from 6-10, then opponent immediately on his first touch of ball gets a edge for 11-10 and a net dribble in for 12-10) Up o a year ago, I wasn't a tourney player in this regard.

- There are many sandbagging or severely under classified players (rapidly improving and cannot do enough tourneys to keep ranking realistic) or players who are simply on fire hot. Sometimes, you run into all three in the same person back to back to back in your own division. Sometimes, you run into a sticky tough player, sometimes you run into someone who gave you the business last time and had really good breaks go his/her way.

- I met several severely under classified players. The two losses I had accounted for 2 of them. I won vs 2 others of that category. (but they were ringers with a lower ranking, but very dangerous) I met a couple sticky tough players and won, I also won vs a guy who ran me over (averaging 4-5 nets a game if you get the idea of fortunate breaks)

- The guy with OX LP on BH, last year, I lost 1-3 being on the bad end of nets and he didn't miss attacks. This time, I served well, gave him zero chance. Won points directly on serves to his pips, or got the long or high balls to spin heavy or blast away depending height/pace of ball. Won 4,4,9 which is expected result (I am 2 levels higher ranked) but the manner which I controlled and executed was tourney William playing.

- My Giant RR B Div group had 2 more players who were dangerous. One, whose name is "Wireless Lovebird" (Look up his ratings on Pong Mobile, this name is for real) put a big scare into Ken Penilli, who is a 2200-2300 high level player. Ken BARELY got by Wireless, I mean Ken was on the floor panting and expressing he was very fortunate to not lose. He was under pressure in rallies all match long. Wireless moves great and is a super retriever with excellent touch.

- I played Wireless in my second match and won 4,5,6 by serving, getting long or high ball, and opening very heavy topspin slow or power loop away to side. 1st match in group was vs one of those 9 yr old pro-trained Chinese kids with father who does the "3 Star General" thing strong leading to his kid. This kid won vs Wireless 3-0. Wireless could not understand why he missed nearly every attack or counter. (Hint, kid kept giving dead pushes) The kid is typical trained kid who can bang it with little spin close to table and never miss. I avoided those kind of rallies and limited it to 2-3 per game. Still, kid has "strange" touch and difficult to read the ball when he declines an attack.

Since kid doesn't BH topspin, all I had to was push underspin to his BH deep, get a long push, then open heavy. Easy, right? Concept is simple, but that kid could push sudden, could push heavy or deep, and very difficult to discern the direction... he had great hands for a kid. So, I made more mistakes than normal. When I landed the BH heavy opener, he would try to punch it... would go very long every time. He would block nearly all my power shots within his reach. I won 12, 9, 8. His father was giving a strong operational brief and tactics session between each set. I bet that father was telling the kid he better not lose to that fat 50 yr old dude who doesn't take professional TT Warrior training... among a bunch of other things.

- In semi finals of Div B Giant RR, I met (an Indian or Pakistani?) dude who had already defeated a few 2000 plus rated players. That is very remarkable for an upper 1800s guy to do. That means he took out several players 1.5 or more levels higher players... in a tourney. Tough task, so hand it to that dude, he already delivered the goods multiple times just to reach semi finals. This guy could step around and power it, or spin heavy time warp. Serve tricky to read, but favored a serve with deceptive light spin, slow, half long to BH or a few inches past half long. Took me a game or so to realize I do not need to flip that serve (although I DID flip it decently high percentage).

I would stay loose, use a 6-8 inch stroke, and heavy spin the ball high arching to his BH, he would BH punch, and ball goes out 6-10 feet. Player would after the miss do a shadow stroke trying to press downward, much like giving the ball CPR. He kept serving long, I would keep looping it BH slow heavy high arch, he would keep punching the ball out with ever downward force, but still out. I would serve varied, get pushes into net, get long pushes to powerloop or spin heavy. I made more mistakes in Game 1 or 2 and lost one game, but overall, was still in control and won 3-1 very easily.

Guy's coach was telling Sergey "How does he get that spin without Chinese rubber?" That coach who defeated me in finals uses H3 hehe. His side and side top short was tough, but I flipped it where I could, and he punished, I pushed heavy, he pushed back, but SIDEsSPIN !!!Tough ball. I stepped in and flipped some of his short returns, but he was ready. I finally figured it out in game 3 and took charge really strong and got my chance to use every Korean Cho slogan ever made, but guy adjusted game 4 and suddenly had great short touch when I expected a long ball. He wins finals with a score of something like 7, 9, -8, 4.

- I realize I see the ball better once the sun is no longer so strong and making glare in the hall. I see this in many halls I play in now.

Long discussion, but I think it is something tourney players should look at - how they won and lost points and how it affects games and matches, plus ways to adapt to how opponents adapt. It is important to be "Tourney (insert first name), instead of Club (insert first name).

You can see Next Level discuss these kind of things throughout his posts about his play and tourneys, but in a different style of story and analysis. This stuff is needed.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Expressen (one of the largest tabloids) has got an interview with Waldner today:
https://www.expressen.se/sport/waldner-om-missbruket-spelade-bort-5-miljoner/

(Google translate should do the trick)

Basically he's lost 5mSEK on gambling but is financially ok thanks to very lucrative business trips to China (smuggling H3N? :D )

Shhhhhhhsssshhh. Don't let on that Walner is a senior Commander of Goon Squad. You know the Goon Squad would settle his hash if he tried any of that monkey business for real. Dude is exempt, let's just accept that. J.O.W was absolut beast mode in his playing days and deserves every good bounce he can get from life after pro TT.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Shhhhhhhsssshhh. Don't let on that Walner is a senior Commander of Goon Squad. You know the Goon Squad would settle his hash if he tried any of that monkey business for real. Dude is exempt, let's just accept that. J.O.W was absolut beast mode in his playing days and deserves every good bounce he can get from life after pro TT.

The not so exciting truth is probably closer to Jörgen Persson who makes a decent buck in China by putting his name on milk powder (which is highly profitable in China for several reasons).

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I have been trying different pimples on bh for 2 seasons with varied success.
Last night without any training I used reversed (Evolution EL-S) on bh, I thought i played ok considering?

I am the handsome looking older guy!!

I like your "I'm not gonna push anything" attitude! :D

On a more serious note, I noticed when you're blocking you're doing it with normal wrist (as you would grab a pole). This is a bad habit, since it reduces control and consistency. It's better to do it with bent wrist so that the bat is parallel to your elbow (just like when you want to topspin). I say this because I do exactly the same, and my coach is working with me on this very thing. You will see the difference instantly. It also becomes easier to change the direction of the block a la Waldner.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Since the 2 big tourneys are done, I am moving to a new blade.

For a year, I used the Perrson Power Play 7 ply all wood to build touch and consistency. That was coming from Kim Jung Hoon blade.

For 6 months, I used Stiga Intensity Carbon. Good short touch, good top end.

Now, it is the Nexy Batos with dynamic soft sponged rubbers. FS-X on fh and S3 on bh. These soft rubbers make an exploding sound every time I crack into it.

With this setup, I can spin it easily, both high and heavy, or fast deep loaded dropping last moment.

The ST handle is really gunna help my fh bh transition.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Tomorrow i will have an adult training again. Just one, but it is fun to have one in the summer. I think the interest is somewhat good, according to facebook 12 is coming and 10 is interested and i know some that do not have facebook that is coming.

It is the sport director that have planned the training, but it was my idea and i have done the other job. It feels pretty good. Would be fun to play myself, but i think this is a great opportunity for adults that want to become better at tabletennis. I also find it fun that it is coming some that want to start to play and some old friends that played when i was very young that want to start to play again.

Tabletennis is not everything, but i think training a sport can be very positive and help people with other hard stuff in their lifes so i like to think we create possibilities for people to create better lifes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Tomorrow i will have an adult training again. Just one, but it is fun to have one in the summer. I think the interest is somewhat good, according to facebook 12 is coming and 10 is interested and i know some that do not have facebook that is coming.

It is the sport director that have planned the training, but it was my idea and i have done the other job. It feels pretty good. Would be fun to play myself, but i think this is a great opportunity for adults that want to become better at tabletennis. I also find it fun that it is coming some that want to start to play and some old friends that played when i was very young that want to start to play again.

Tabletennis is not everything, but i think training a sport can be very positive and help people with other hard stuff in their lifes so i like to think we create possibilities for people to create better lifes.

Summer TT seems to be the new trend. Both Spårvägen and the Stockholm TTA is arranging summer training for amateur players this year. I think that Spårvägens move to open their facility during the summer is a great idea (and they will probably get a lot of new members).

Reactions: Lula and RidTheKid
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Regional cup tournament tonight! Round of 32, and the heat is on. We won that cup two years ago, and (unjustly, in my eyes) lost the final last year. We're eager to regain that cup and stoked for tonight's match. Will there be footage? This I do not know. I'll to into deep focus during.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Played that R32 knockout match in the Cup Tourney.

4 on 4 plus two doubles makes for 18 matches. We took the lead, they tied, we lead again, and after 6 hours of play reached 9-9. We then dominated the tiebreaking 19th doubles match. Yay for us. Done at half past two in the morning.

There’s footage, and it’s being edited by someone doing a coaching training.

It shouldn’t have taken this long; I felt I had gained the upper hand near the end of two closefought (but lost) matches. Need to look critically at that; no doubt the aspiring coach will rub it in.

One strong win (against a very high level LP defender) does compensate somewhat. Satisfied with my classic fifth ball killing matchplay there.

DSC00934-small.jpg

Footage will do doubt will make me cringe, but it's not edited yet. For now, a picture. Old guy spinning an LP pushblock (I think I recall). The legs power. Hips and torso rotate, somewhat. The lower arm, it swings. The ball, it spins.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
@Der_Echte congrats for your results. Hard Training giving you some dividends

Looking back on it, I believe my results were more from better mental readiness than demanding training.

Being a tourney player is much different from being a good club player, way different level of mental. I had always not paid much attention that that aspect and it dogged me. Only recently, have I begun to improve that area and results, even the losing ones show improvement in my mental prep and execution make for much stronger results, that is getting me to play to the level I SHOULD, not always, but either there or approaching it.

This is a more longer term improvement campaign.

I also believe that a lot of my technical improvements do not come from balls to the wall hardcore physically demanding training, but from "Swimming".

What do I mean about "Swimming" ?? It is a form of discovering in a relaxed lower pressure form that allows me to experiment and learn some ways that work. Somehow, my brain is not USB 3.0 compatible, so I cannot stick in the cable to my ear like younger folk can do and get there. Somehow, using a less forceful means sometimes gets things into my neurons in my brain that I couldn't get in there with repeated blow of an 8 Kg sledgehammer.

It will still take some more years of doing this and playing the better players when I can to get to a SOLID 2000+ California level, but I can see a positive trendline, regardless of the actual rating points number.

Sacramento tourney got processed and I gained 10 points... that means not so much for indication of overall level. At this level, I would need to improve 75 points to show another full level. So the points are not really showing it, but a lot of the smaller things that will greatly contribute to success are improving.

When the majority of things that are larger factors of the result are improving, the results will come later with further improvement overall. It is one of the many paths, not really the one a lot of Asian players or Coaches advocate, but a possible one.