Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
got a 2H personal session with my new coach Ooya Hidetoshi today.
a lot of fun. I've got some footage this time. I might post some later..

Ah your coach once beat Eugene Wang in US Open. I think he lost to Ueda in the semis or the final. Very wristy style that I loved taking the ball very early.

This user has no status.
yes i've seen this match. There are many videos of him on Youtube.
Some of his pro games. For example, he once beated Mizutani in his prime at Japan Top12.

in one interview, he admits his technique is a bit awkward because as a child he was just told by his coaches to play games and win. He would do FH diagonal drill, BH diagonal drill and then just play games. He did that until quite late (I think junior ?) then he went to a very well known TT school (Aomori Yamada) where he worked more on his technique.
He also says he knew his short game was bad, so he would just always serve long and try to win the rallies.

So actually his advice to me was... to serve long and win the rallies because he says I've got the shots for that !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I had a pretty bizarre evening. We have a league in between the proper league season called “silly season”. Every team can bring in players from other clubs no matter their ranking (so basically anything from basement players to national elite level).

One of the the guys I met had severe Tourettes. Every time it was 8-8 ha lashed out “åtta potta”. “Åtta” is the Swedish word for eight and ”potta” is the Swedish word for potty. It basically rhymes. It was so surreal. At one point it became 7-9 instead of 8-8 and he became really upset because he couldn’t start his regular rant.

A team mate tried “ett noll till Timo Boll” (1-0 to Timo Boll... which also rhymes) and he couldn’t stop laughing. A very different evening.

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
We won a cup last night!

1da439eeadd10a709f269a565c1450a0.jpg

It was the last competition of the season. A team event that started with 8 groups of 5 to 6 teams, and took around two months to finish. The teams of two players each would play each other in 4 singles matches and one doubles. Last night was the finals, and we played a team that we won against 3-2 in our group, and we won with the same score in the final. The opponents were using antitop, so it was not an easy match to win. But in the end, perseverance and patience was enough to become the champions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Played Princeton U2000 event today. I had this stomach flu yesterday from bad eating and watching the China Open. I thought I was going to cancel but I felt a bit better and decided to go play anyways.

So I had gone to a training camp in Florida for TTEdge and I finally learned to enjoy training and just hitting the ball. So weirdly in matches or in loop to loop forehand, I have stopped trying to hit the ball and have tried to just do my hip spin on my forehand. It is really funny how fast the ball flies when I time it right, and it is so funny that now, I Would rather someone feed me multiball so I can just do that and forget about playing matches. But I am saying this to set the context for how I was going to play - I just wanted to play but I would feel better with a full forehand than winning the matches.

So I was the top seed in the event (usually a good thing as it means I should be the best player). Luckily, I had looked at the U1800 results and noticed that the B player in my group was the winner of that event. So I knew he was probably underrated. The C-player was a penholder who I had destroyed in a practice match a month ago, even though he had nasty serves that I struggled with. So I felt all would go well as long as I handled the B-player well.

The first match was against the C-player. He served his side top serve which I never read correctly and kept looping long. When I soft looped it, he smashed it or punch killed it. I managed to get some opportunities with my serve but after some dumb misses, I lose the first game 13-11. And in the second game, I go up, and he comes back. And I fighting. But again, I cannot loop his serve consistently. And I lose the second game 13-11.

At this point, I wonder what the point in playing with the stomach flu is. But I remind myself that this kind of struggle is usual, if you can get this game, things can turn around. I get another lead. But he comes back. He probably got a match point, but I managed to win this game 13-11. And I looped a couple of his serves. So you could feel the disappointment creeping into his game as he lost the 4th game 11-3. In the fifth game, he actually got to 5-4 first, but I managed to mix in some terrible loop misses with some makes and won 11-8.

The pips guy (B-Player) was interesting but he wasn't very consistent when he got chances to loop. He used Grass D Tecs, which I had practiced against in the training camp. I won a close first game at deuce, but the next two games were straightforward as my serve variation and forehand were just too powerful. So I advanced as the top seed in my group straight into the quarter final.

In the Quarterfinal, I played a kid rated 1800. So the kid and I had a short warm up and I was wondering how this kid could be 1800 as I didn't see anything special in his technique. Then the kid started serving long into my forehand and the games started looking ugly. The kid lost the first two games 11-5 and 11-6 and was near tears. This kind of crap is one of the reasons I hate playing kids. I mean, you are serving long into my forehand and I am looping the crap out of the ball and you are acting like you don't deserve it. At some point, you have to acknowledge that your opponent is better and stop being a cry-baby. I lost the third game 11-9 as the kid actually started trying to serve more intelligently. But the fourth game I went up 7-1 with nasty serving and third ball and some spin rallying. He called time out but it didn't change much, I probably relaxed a bit too much but I won.

The next round was the semis against a guy who has a legit 2000+ game. When he first came to our club in Philly, I was coming out of my injury and he was playing often. But now it seems we have a role reversal. He has brought his family to the USA and I have just come out of training. I hadn't beaten him before but managed to do so today. Will be fun if he gets time to play while his family is here and we both play when we are closer to the top of our games.

So I am in the finals! And I am playing the B-player from my round robin! And it sucks IMO because some of my patterns are now known to him and a lot of my game is serve based. I also put out a lot of energy playing the semis, so I Wasn't feeling good. But again, why let losing stop you from playing?

So I lost the first game this time as he made more attacks and returned my serves a bit better. Also had his long and short game going. But I then realized that there were a few things he hadn't seen yet. He hadn't seen my backhand opener in pure form because I had played so much forehand. So I used started serving long no spin and opening and he couldn't block. That mixed in with a few good plays on his serve, I won the second game at 7. The third game was close but when he pip blocked my pendulum no spin long at 10-9, I was up 2-1. The last game, I got a good lead, so it was mostly a coronation.

So it isn't great news to some when the top seed wins, but I appreciate how hard it is to win these days so I have stopped caveating my wins. I am happy with how I played and the flu feeling was what it was. Now I need to get someone to feed me multiball...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Good to finally have you back NextLevel !
Played Princeton U2000 event today. I had this stomach flu yesterday from bad eating and watching the China Open. I thought I was going to cancel but I felt a bit better and decided to go play anyways.

So I had gone to a training camp in Florida for TTEdge and I finally learned to enjoy training and just hitting the ball. So weirdly in matches or in loop to loop forehand, I have stopped trying to hit the ball and have tried to just do my hip spin on my forehand. It is really funny how fast the ball flies when I time it right, and it is so funny that now, I Would rather someone feed me multiball so I can just do that and forget about playing matches. But I am saying this to set the context for how I was going to play - I just wanted to play but I would feel better with a full forehand than winning the matches.

So I was the top seed in the event (usually a good thing as it means I should be the best player). Luckily, I had looked at the U1800 results and noticed that the B player in my group was the winner of that event. So I knew he was probably underrated. The C-player was a penholder who I had destroyed in a practice match a month ago, even though he had nasty serves that I struggled with. So I felt all would go well as long as I handled the B-player well.

The first match was against the C-player. He served his side top serve which I never read correctly and kept looping long. When I soft looped it, he smashed it or punch killed it. I managed to get some opportunities with my serve but after some dumb misses, I lose the first game 13-11. And in the second game, I go up, and he comes back. And I fighting. But again, I cannot loop his serve consistently. And I lose the second game 13-11.

At this point, I wonder what the point in playing with the stomach flu is. But I remind myself that this kind of struggle is usual, if you can get this game, things can turn around. I get another lead. But he comes back. He probably got a match point, but I managed to win this game 13-11. And I looped a couple of his serves. So you could feel the disappointment creeping into his game as he lost the 4th game 11-3. In the fifth game, he actually got to 5-4 first, but I managed to mix in some terrible loop misses with some makes and won 11-8.

The pips guy (B-Player) was interesting but he wasn't very consistent when he got chances to loop. He used Grass D Tecs, which I had practiced against in the training camp. I won a close first game at deuce, but the next two games were straightforward as my serve variation and forehand were just too powerful. So I advanced as the top seed in my group straight into the quarter final.

In the Quarterfinal, I played a kid rated 1800. So the kid and I had a short warm up and I was wondering how this kid could be 1800 as I didn't see anything special in his technique. Then the kid started serving long into my forehand and the games started looking ugly. The kid lost the first two games 11-5 and 11-6 and was near tears. This kind of crap is one of the reasons I hate playing kids. I mean, you are serving long into my forehand and I am looping the crap out of the ball and you are acting like you don't deserve it. At some point, you have to acknowledge that your opponent is better and stop being a cry-baby. I lost the third game 11-9 as the kid actually started trying to serve more intelligently. But the fourth game I went up 7-1 with nasty serving and third ball and some spin rallying. He called time out but it didn't change much, I probably relaxed a bit too much but I won.

The next round was the semis against a guy who has a legit 2000+ game. When he first came to our club in Philly, I was coming out of my injury and he was playing often. But now it seems we have a role reversal. He has brought his family to the USA and I have just come out of training. I hadn't beaten him before but managed to do so today. Will be fun if he gets time to play while his family is here and we both play when we are closer to the top of our games.

So I am in the finals! And I am playing the B-player from my round robin! And it sucks IMO because some of my patterns are now known to him and a lot of my game is serve based. I also put out a lot of energy playing the semis, so I Wasn't feeling good. But again, why let losing stop you from playing?

So I lost the first game this time as he made more attacks and returned my serves a bit better. Also had his long and short game going. But I then realized that there were a few things he hadn't seen yet. He hadn't seen my backhand opener in pure form because I had played so much forehand. So I used started serving long no spin and opening and he couldn't block. That mixed in with a few good plays on his serve, I won the second game at 7. The third game was close but when he pip blocked my pendulum no spin long at 10-9, I was up 2-1. The last game, I got a good lead, so it was mostly a coronation.

So it isn't great news to some when the top seed wins, but I appreciate how hard it is to win these days so I have stopped caveating my wins. I am happy with how I played and the flu feeling was what it was. Now I need to get someone to feed me multiball...

This user has no status.
Congratulations for your win @NextLevel
you seem to win all those U2000 events , thats very solid from you

----

this is a video of the first half-hour of my last coaching session with my new coach

I am quite happy with my progress overall, especially BH side
on FH side i think my swing is a big too big and I often lose my balance (too much forward) so i miss the next shot

in the footwork drill, i alternate very good sequences with direct misses, i think its got a lot to do with stamina and focus. Its difficult to keep the pace !!! but I don't think I'm doing it too quick because i prove i can do good sequences; so i need to work more on stamina and focus !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Takkyu! Nice tempo! you are very safe!

But you should try to use the forearm more in the forehand. Now you are pushing the ball to much. Try to accelerate and snap with the forearm.

The same with the backhand. To much pushing. Need to have the elbow steady and use it like a hinge.

I can imagine that you have heard this before. I would be surprised otherwise since you seem to have great coaches.

Keep up the good work

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
@Lula
thanks for your encouragements

My playing style is to stay at the table. I believe I'm able to take the ball quite early in BH, but comparatively I'm taking the ball a bit too late in FH. The coach of course noticed that, and tells me I should shorten my FH stroke and that indeed means using more the forearm rather than the whole arm, and try to time the ball earlier and more forward me, with a more horizontal swing. I need perhaps also to focus on giving more spin with my FH, i hit the ball a bit too flat.

I have another video where he tells me to work on this specifically but its a bit redundant.

This user has no status.
Good work @NextLevel!

@Takkyu_wa_inochi, just wondering why doesn't your coach use more than one ball? Will save alot of time and increase the intensity / stamina requirement.

On a side note, i'm going to my coaching session in 3 hours time.

we're not playing at a school but in a sports center, we're just afraid some other people would pick up the balls.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
@Lula
thanks for your encouragements

My playing style is to stay at the table. I believe I'm able to take the ball quite early in BH, but comparatively I'm taking the ball a bit too late in FH. The coach of course noticed that, and tells me I should shorten my FH stroke and that indeed means using more the forearm rather than the whole arm, and try to time the ball earlier and more forward me, with a more horizontal swing. I need perhaps also to focus on giving more spin with my FH, i hit the ball a bit too flat.

I have another video where he tells me to work on this specifically but its a bit redundant.

The camera angle makes it hard to evaluate the strokes but as always, your body work is good which is what counts more. But the strokes themselves, I don't know. You should be getting more separation from your body with your backhand stroke, so you should be leaning backwards a little while driving the stroke forward with your hips and arm should be further away from the body than when the stroke started but maybe it is the camera angle, I can see this clearly on your coach but don't see it on your stroke.

On the forehand side, the contact is sometimes flat, but it is sometimes good, but the arm usage loses a lot of power because it isn't direct. You are rotating your hips significantly so I am sure there is more you can do with the arm if you are willing to miss a little. I do know both strokes can work but depending on how much training you are going to do, it does make sense to try to optimize the strokes even if you know you can't perfect them. I think the problem was probably that you couldn't do multiball so the strokes remained the ones you could repeat onto the table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
you seem to win all those U2000 events , thats very solid from you

The last two times I played this event, I was a lower seed (maybe #4) and lost in the round robin one match and the elimination one match. So I will take the wins when I can get them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Just got back from coaching. 5th one this year.

Prior to starting coaching, I got play warm up and play with a shakehander in his 20s, who receives training also, and is a badminton coach. Played a game with him, close game, but won 2-0.

Then coaching began. First warm up FH, then looping backspin first then follow up with looping topspin with the same ball.
Then BH warm up, and then FH and BH alternate. For some reason, this alternate exercise is causing more problems than I expect, I am quite comfortable with this exercise with the Amicus robot, I suspect it may have to do with the block which doesn't have much spin on the ball, which caused my BH to always either hit top of the net or fall into the net.
Then I learned a useful topspin fast serve, which I am quite happy about. Ended the session with some serve and attack, and then receiving serves.

I then had a hit with a man in his 60s, who is a penholder, who also receives training from my coach. No game, just practice FH and BH. Then I requested to have him play with his FH into my BH.

The coach then asked me to play with his son, who is 9yo, shakehander. First 3 sets were quite close, but he gave up mentally in the last set, so I won 4-1. I am sure in the near future, once he has more experience, I won't be able to beat him anymore.

Reactions: Der_Echte
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Got back from Meiklejohn 4 day seniors tourney. Entered 3 doubles and 3 singles events.

Sandbagging in LA area is fierce, many drop 300 or more points for the tourney as there is big money given the divisions compared to other big tourneys, some events paid cash for places 5-8 (quarterfinals losers).

My 3600 and 4200 doubles, by rating opponents were matched OK or were higher, but in real terms, both players collectively were another 300 points higher... that is simply too much to even compete, so the results showed it.

The draw doubles you get blindly paired with another player to make the overall rating kinda similar. So... typical, you have 1900 to 2200 players signing up, then you get paired with a 1000ish level player who cannot spell the word push without a 70% error rate or serve legally clumsily... most of these types are just 60-80 yr old players who never get a chance to team up with good players at their community center.. so it is a public service to just shut up and play.

My assigned partner never won a thing in his life and on paper, looked at my rating and the first opponents and had no hope. However, he generally kept ball on table with poor quality and it was enough, we got by and won 3-0 by reasons that would defy logic. Combined with our bye, that got us into quarters to face Scoobie Doo Tsos… you are not gunna give that crap high ball to him without it getting killed into the next county, nor can you serve long without penalty. 0-3 GTFO was the correct and deserved result.

Still, it was enough to get a match check... something this gent NEVER got in his entire life in the sport. He was taking pics with all my friends like he was a Millennial teenager. Dude was giddy to the extreme... but what the heck, he signed up to have fun, meet people and have a crack at playing. It worked out beyond his dreams, so it was a plus.

My singles, I lost O50 to a retriever after leading 7-3 in the 5th, I was attacking strong with high percentage on 3rd ball, but dude got gt back some balls weird and high, no way to track the bounce and I missed easy chances, he got inspired and played out his ass countering my openers ripping a couple. He improved around 100 points last tourney and he shoulda gotten more points. He played O2000 that day and I played 2000 level and he edged me, I got what I deserved, he got hat he deserved.

In U2200, I played a Korean guy who is rated just under 2000 and plays way better, typical. Could only compete in 3rd and put on a real lively show for spectators, but lost. maybe I play him another 3 times I will have 50/50 chance, but not 1st match.

In U2050, I played a local Vietnamese O40 dude with the STANDARD issue Chinese coach robo-kid recommended setup - VISCARIA with H3/T05. Dude was a Ma Long video game hardcore dude, tried to flip nearly every serve, tried to power loop anything long. I allowed him many points just to see what his serves are like and what he does with each ball, even if I could win game one, I wasn't worried, what I learned was valuable - that I could do pretty much what I want if I avoid a few things.

I upped the low tight short underspin serve game and dude could not flip the first 4, then could not push the next 3. Look of expression on his face was priceless, exactly what Der_Echte looks like when playing vs ttd member erm.

Won next 2 easily before backing off on 4th game and got serious again after allowing him to make deuce from a 9-3 lead. Dude leaving the court was not happy and still did not know what was really happening. On his serve, he either served long and I punished it, or on his short dead serve I pushed heavy half long, angled to side, quick to his body or short... and kept changing my grip pressure and bat angle to make different spins.

I never had a match vs a player near my rating (he was 60 points lower rated) where I felt like I controlled the match like this.

That one match and the draw doubles made my weekend.

I lost in second round in 5th to a lefty control player 40 points higher rated... maybe I play him next time I win, but he was better today. I put on a show that match too right in front of the stands for spectators. TT is an entertainment business and players should perform their magic acts for spectators.

I umpired many matches to get a front row seat for these matches. Good idea, no?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Takkyu Warrior said:
you seem to win all those U2000 events , that's very solid from you

A few things to consider. To win a tourney division, there are at the top of the field, many players who are not properly classified, plus, they are usually very well trained, prepared, supported, and motivated hungry. If one is properly classified, it is very difficult to make the finals of even ONE of these tourneys, let alone to become a consistent finalist.

To achieve that, one must be really solid at their level, have some good bounces fall their way, and consistently play at a level higher than normal. Can be done, but a LOT of stuff has to fall into place. Of course, being prepared and mentally tough + skilled/cautious goes a long way.

Reactions: perham
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The camera angle makes it hard to evaluate the strokes but as always, your body work is good which is what counts more. But the strokes themselves, I don't know. You should be getting more separation from your body with your backhand stroke, so you should be leaning backwards a little while driving the stroke forward with your hips and arm should be further away from the body than when the stroke started but maybe it is the camera angle, I can see this clearly on your coach but don't see it on your stroke.

On the forehand side, the contact is sometimes flat, but it is sometimes good, but the arm usage loses a lot of power because it isn't direct. You are rotating your hips significantly so I am sure there is more you can do with the arm if you are willing to miss a little. I do know both strokes can work but depending on how much training you are going to do, it does make sense to try to optimize the strokes even if you know you can't perfect them. I think the problem was probably that you couldn't do multiball so the strokes remained the ones you could repeat onto the table.

So I thought about it, I think your problem on the forehand is that you engage the upper arm too much. I am not sure it is really too much but it seems you are compensating for not folding or unfolding your torso with raising and dropping the arm on the swing sometimes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I played a league match away against Spårvägen (the mighty club of Appelgren, JO and others) and collected some nice ranking points but what really made the evening was playing on the table next to Gustaf Ericson. His skills are just insane. He was doing BH loops using his pretty much frictionless Dornenglaz LP against a >2600 Swedish TTA player completely effortlessly. Wtf? How does he do that? Next time I'll go and ask for an autograph (or maybe ask him for advice).

Reactions: RidTheKid