Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
So i thought id open up a thread where we can talk about our everyday tabletennis.
This goes as follows :)

Today i hit the club at 18:15 or 6:15 PM as you would call it ;). From 6:15 to 7:45 the kiddys have their training and I help coaching them, as good as i can :).
At 7:45 the grown up training starts, well its not rly a training more like playing with each other as we have no coach or good players.

Anyways i start hitting with my trainingspartner first some standart drills like counter on counter and then topspin on block for FH and BH. After that some third ball attacks on long backspin pushes. Today i really felt the training i have been doing over the last weeks, i have accustomed myself with the new bat and I can keep the new grip up for longer :)

Then we did down the line topspins on block and inside out FH from the BH corner with some footwork exercises.

Ah jea i almost forgot i finally got a decent forehandflick, a little note of my trainings partner helped me and it made Click :D It was such an easy shot all along and i have been over thinking it way too much. So that made me happy for today!

For the last 30 minutes i played two matches. One against a sort of chopper, blocker. For the first time in along time my fh ingame felt very natural and i could attack the third balls and long balls! Yay! Btw NL post on the mind of an attacker helped me big deal! I won in three straight games as my opponent couldnt block my topspins on the table.

The last game i played against a LP player who also likes to attack. He switched to LP recently and has gotten better with them. At first i was leading by a great deal and thought i migth try out some stuff, typicaly i overestimated myself and lost in the end. However we only played one game as we had to leave the club before 10 PM. Otheriwse the janitor will get tantrums.

I also wanted to play with a new girl who joined today. She plays very well and i will try to get a match with her next time :)

I took the tram home and made myself some delicious croque monsieurs :)

So how was your tabletennis day? I am eager to know :)

Cheers

Hey Boogar,
I'm not sure if this has been pointed out before, so i might as well say it anyway.
Although I don't post a lot here, I just wanted to acknowledge that this thread of yours has gotta be one of the most popular threads made here if not the most popular.
More than a hundred Pages!!! That's really crayzayyy.
Thanks for seeing the necessity of this here and congrats, buddy.
Good 1.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hey Boogar,
I'm not sure if this has been pointed out before, so i might as well say it anyway.
Although I don't post a lot here, I just wanted to acknowledge that this thread of yours has gotta be one of the most popular threads made here if not the most popular.
Good 1.

Thank you Boogar for giving me a venue to write my novels :eek:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Hey Boogar,
Good 1.

Thanks :) Well with all that hijacking happening, it had to be done :)

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
You work with Good coaches and you are older than most of us and I have never seen video of your play so I won't ask for it. All of that caveated, the usual culprit is not athleticism or moving too much but that one is not moving in response to the ball. Usually people are moving too early in rote fashion and overstepping in anticipation of where they think the ball will be hit to. This is often the case on fast drills.

Practical footwork requires you to respond after the ball is hit and very often the feet are the last things to move. You can watch top players. They are often swinging at the ball with their feet in the air.

Of course, as we get older, such footwork might be impractical for a variety of reasons. But I am just pointing this out because I used to think I was over or under stepping. I later realized that even if I had the footwork right, your footwork never practical if you are moving before you know where the ball is going to in a manner similar to to match situations. I can pivot and cross to just about any easy ball despite having terrible knees. It's when I pivot or cross in response to a fast push or topspin that I know that I am doing the real thing.

Yep. Some things to think about. I actually seem to move better in free play than drills. Not sure what that means (well except that I am cheating on the drills maybe, like you say). I am very fit and these days relatively injury free, and I still have the feeling that I should be able to do this drill more fluidly. I wonder if I will be be able to?

Actually, my description of the problematic drill was wrong. It wasn't a 2-2 drill where I do FH-BH transtions that was a problem. (Actually that is quite easy for me, one of my favorite drills, I love doing that). It was a 2-2 drill where all the balls are all taken with FH, with Timmy delivering balls that go from FH corner to middle of table. I rarely do that in free playI just take that next ball with my BH and that may actually be the best I can do in that situation. Of course, it is a drill that kids can do all day without problems!

It could be this drill is pointless for me except I still think I should be able to move better.

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
What exactly is this shaking at 2:45 or so, when blue shirt, farther away goes for the block?

I've found myself doing it on basically every block, that I can notice it on at least. Usually when my opponent misses and I'm stuck there in the blocking pose.

Why does it happen and is it an issue or a good sign?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
What exactly is this shaking at 2:45 or so, when blue shirt, farther away goes for the block?

I've found myself doing it on basically every block, that I can notice it on at least. Usually when my opponent misses and I'm stuck there in the blocking pose.

Why does it happen and is it an issue or a good sign?

With just a short glance it looks very cramped to me.
Being cramped isn't helpful for your recovery and building up of momentum during a stroke.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
I'm talking about his arm, not his body movement.

Look at his racket hand when he goes in for the block. What's that shaking? It's not energy being spent after a swing, so what is it?

The arm is what looks cramped. He is probably gripping the bat very hard. That's at least what it seems to me.
I sometime see this before a player serves. They contract their arm muscles until the hand starts to shake.

I know this technique from my experience with playing the drums. You can do multiple hits per second if you cramp up your arm.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
IDK, venturing an educated guess... sometimes people react a certain way due to an adrenaline d ump

This is far-fetched perhaps for TT Context, but he was expecting a monster slam, his body had an adrenal d ump and the smash did not happen ... so he shook as if he was braced for a shot that never came

I sound stupid but there you have my guess .. don't like it? Boogar's reason sounds good

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So the site won't accept I phone or d ump

Not sure how to interpret that lol

No, no, your not supposed to let people know where my NSA SpyPhone came from. This is top secret goon squad/anti goon squad information.

Why that may even be where the secret hideout came from. It's a good thing nobody can figure out where the entrance to the secret hideout is since we can keep causing it to change locations; there are even entrances in, London, Beijing, Hamburg, Brooklyn, Philly and DC.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep. Some things to think about. I actually seem to move better in free play than drills. Not sure what that means (well except that I am cheating on the drills maybe, like you say). I am very fit and these days relatively injury.

I personally feel that, even though a lot of those set drills don't exactly apply to match play, if your knees and hips are healthy, they are good stuff to work on. They ultimately help you track the ball and space yourself better.

There are a few fundamental issues that get sorted out by working on them.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Why that may even be where the secret hideout came from. It's a good thing nobody can figure out where the entrance to the secret hideout is since we can keep causing it to change locations; there are even entrances in, London, Beijing, Hamburg, Brooklyn, Philly and DC.

Thought the hideout was a side cave on stately Wayne Manor, wait, wut, doh!

Burn all files now, loose lips sink ships!

Initiate emergency evacuation protocol #68! !!!