Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
One of my brothers, from our old 1980's TT crew that 42andbackpains and i was a part of, gave me his old beat up Taksim. He has been using Taksim for ages. Sometime after i 'retired' from TT in 1987 or so, we used to play once in a while ... back then I was used to my old trusty Excalibur, a Double Happiness '08' 7 ply all wood blade. Never tried out carbon blades. I hit with his Taksim back then to try out and i wasn't used to the pock pock sound, the slight vibration, etc. Fast forward 30+ years and I am getting used to the Taksim LOL I guess i lost the feeling of wood blades during my 'retirement' and was able to try out new blades and adapt with the times.

I'm not an equipment junkie despite me changing setups a few times since I retired Excalibur. I don't read reviews, I don't understand all the terms - i just hit with them and see how my strokes/game is. So please take my comments with that understanding.

I used Tenergy 80FX for at least 6 months. I was getting a little used to the tensor rubbers' bounciness unlike the tacky rubbers I used to use on FH loops and blocks.

Bounciness - the Tenergy 25 seems less bouncy than the 80FX but still more bouncy than the tacky rubbers I've used. I've used MX-P for a few months and 25 seems close to MX-P for me. The 80FX was way more bouncy than MX-P for me.

Spin - i have not used the 25 enough, or more properly, i've not begun to spin much in practice yet. Been concentrating on flat hits and blocks/punches. The few times I FH looped with the 25, it seems less spin than the 80FX for me. Will report back once I've used this setup after a few months.

Serves - I have not gotten the spin i used to get on my serves from tacky rubbers. I have not gotten used to tensor rubbers on my rocket serves yet. Although these could also be a factor of the blade or more specifically I have custom-grooved the bottom of the handle on Excalibur which facilitated my slightly off-center of the TPB curled grip.

Pushing - pushing side-to-side is a big part of my game. I have not gotten used to the touch/angle I need to push side-to-side effectively yet. When I push to the middle, my touch/float is still not used to the tensor ... balls return too high/long.

I am not worried about losses or wins. Although if I win some, it shows me that i have improved on some aspects of my game. Due to the changing setups in the past 2+ years, I have no game! For the past year or almost 2 years, I have been mostly practicing. Using the smaller blade American Hinoki with Tenergy 80FX, i self-learned the rudiments of SH BH which helped me a little to self-learn the rudiments of RPB. Having used the Taksim setup only about 2 weeks now, I should really just practice. However, as of last week, I have started playing matches again.

I have a new friend who is a coach. He hit with me one night a few months ago at my regular club when he visited. He told a mutual friend that he thought I had a decent foundation. My friend mentioned this to me and suggested i join his club.

The first night i was at the new club, i hit with him again. He was admonishing me that my strokes were so 1980's and slow!! My FH stroke/flat hit starts at my hip. He was trying to get it into my pea brain that i should meeting the ball earlier. My friend keeps reminding me to keep my hand in front of me over the table and to hit the ball in front of me as opposed to hitting the ball when it is outside of the table and by my side. Coincidentally I posted a video on this thread sometime ago where NextLevel and ttmonster advised I should try meeting the ball earlier also.

About 2 or 3 weeks ago, I hit with my regular training partner. He is trying to relearn his FH. He asked me to hit slowly. At times, he told me to slow down. I was amazed that he asked me that as I was slowly stroking the ball. That night I thought about it and I realized I am meeting the ball earlier and I seem fast to him! There are times my 'muscle memory' (such a bad term as muscles have no memory lol) resorts to the outside of the table hit the ball when it gets to my hip, but i have been trying to consciously meet the ball earlier.

Good luck in your training si-hing!

Congratulations! Now I have to address you as JeffM sifu ;-)

Yes, we all have to learn to walk before we can run. It's said that most teachers learn and improve by teaching others. The students all learn differently and that forces the teacher to find new ways to explain to get the lesson across. By doing so, it helps the teacher learn and improve for themselves.

Good luck in your teaching sifu!

~si-dai

Thank you for your insight OSP!
I am not si fu haha, just someone who enjoys playing the sport and sharing my experience!

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Thank you for your insight OSP!

I don't know if the insight helped, as i'm still kind of finding my way back to the game as the rules/techniques/technology changed from my 21/5 & 38mm celluloid ball era.

I am not si fu haha, just someone who enjoys playing the sport and sharing my experience!

You know the more a person denies something, it means ... :)

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Just put on EL-S and FX-S on my Innerforce ZLC and the rubbers are "different", not in a good way. The FX-S especially for some reason drops ball a lot. Not sure if that's due to condensation in a cold room or just a characteristic of the rubber. The EL-S feels decent on the other hand but it really lacks the special feeling MX-P or Tenergy 05 would give you although you can make some insane spin with the rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Woah. Just got this email.

[h=1]2018 PADDLE PALACE 10K HAWKEYE OPEN[/h][h=1](August 3-5, 2018)[/h][h=1]$10,000 Prize Money and Awards[/h][h=1]Tournament #4 on the USATT Midwest Circuit
USA Table Tennis 4-Star Sanctioned Tournament
Professional Live-Stream Setup, Video Feed available via USA Table Tennis YouTube Channel[/h]Point of Contact: Meng-Yu Wang, [email protected], 217-377-9326
Venue: University of Iowa Field House, 225 S Grand Ave, Iowa City, IA, 52246[h=1]Entry Form: https://www.omnipong.com/<wbr>EntryForms/1039-24.pdf[/h]Relive Last Year's Finals: https://www.youtube.<wbr>com/watch?v=8BwoWZD0NgM&t=392s

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody class="m_-9061115994282941962mcnTextBlockOuter">
</tbody>
SNX1G79NjerSW6guojNJR0teIWwMMouwfBfI90rUEUqqGOwOgsFyl4cFT2utCiNQYr1ZdxMjbdoFefryEXJHaS0S3SMQeyHdf6gEtfxCssI6reMQFSCayPmhQ1kgz7pilzhl97lF3E76ZlkVmTfifj2i1nHhwQaJjKaoN5U=s0-d-e1-ft

Featuring The Evergreen Legend Zhiwen "Juanito" He from Granada, Spain
- 4-Time Olympian (2004, 2008, 2012, 2016)
- Oldest Person to Win an ITTF World Tour Title (At 52 years and 302 days)
- Chinese Penholder, Short Pips Player
- Highest ITTF Rank #24
- Defeated Olympic Champion Ryu Seung Min and WTTC Champion Werner Schlager in Multiple Occasions

I've never signed up for an official ITTF event but being from Nebraska, honestly when am I going to get a better chance to see one of my TT idols. :)

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody class="m_-9061115994282941962mcnImageCardBlockOuter">
</tbody>

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Featuring The Evergreen Legend Zhiwen "Juanito" He from Granada, Spain
- 4-Time Olympian (2004, 2008, 2012, 2016)
- Oldest Person to Win an ITTF World Tour Title (At 52 years and 302 days)
- Chinese Penholder, Short Pips Player
- Highest ITTF Rank #24
- Defeated Olympic Champion Ryu Seung Min and WTTC Champion Werner Schlager in Multiple Occasions

I've never signed up for an official ITTF event but being from Nebraska, honestly when am I going to get a better chance to see one of my TT idols. :)

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

i am sad i couldn't rearrange schedule to check him out when he was in NYC at Robert Chen's club :(

suds, you gotta go!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Last night, i went to my new club.

I hit with a friend who switched from PH to SH and starting from square one. He has 3 different people coaching him. I blocked for him last night - both FH block and standing on FH side and using TPB as I'm not steady with RPB blocking/punch, and I wanted him to groove his strokes. However, it also gives me an opportunity to get used to my new setup/weight. Fingers still ache/minor discomfort somewhat though. I wanted to get used to the T25 rubber and work my TPB block/punch.

He was getting tired, so we did BH-BH with me actively trying to RPB. I brush as well as hit, on some I smashed. Slowly getting to 50% making my RPB vs relatively slow/easy incoming shots. Some of my brush had a lot of topspin and my friend misjudged it and it popped high. Very interesting for me.

Next I hit with a 2200 PH. My coach friend coaches him and I can see his FH is structurally faster than mine. His hand is over the table and meeting the ball earlier... like JeffM mentioned previously, about 70% hit and 30% spin. My coach friend is trying to get me to hit this way instead of my old way of "waiting for the ball to reach end of table near hip and hit". I will say that the T25 tensor rubber helps me return some shots I wouldn't have. This is yin-yang ... my form/technique/stroke/timing is off and i need to correct and cannot rely on equipment to do all the work and compensate on my ineptitude.

We proceeded to hit BH-BH. My friend "Mommy" watching on the side encouraged me to use RPB. I have hit with him before and his RPB is fast. I was hesitant to go RPB to RPB as I'm not steady enough with my RPB. I'm working on getting used to my new blade/rubbers. My mindset was to return steady for him and not waste his time in hitting with me. She kept yelling at me to go RPB instead of TPB and explained he is high level and will be able to adjust to my mishits. With that encouragement, I worked my RPB vs his fast and spinny RPB. I RPB blocked/punched some balls awkwardly, but under pressure and strong RPB incoming balls, I was able to RPB fuller stroke back the shots. On 2nd balls, I started brushing on low balls and higher balls I used the fuller stroke.

My coach friend asked me to hit with a lady I have hit with previous times I visited the new club. She is a good practice partner for me. My coach friend was going to work with the PH. But he still didn't come over yet, so we still worked BH-BH, this time though as I know the coach is coming over at any time, i resorted to TPB block/punch. My partner was surprised at some of my returns... I'm guessing more because of the speed. I can say it's part technique, but it was mostly the T25 doing the work. Slowly getting used to the T25 on TPB blocks/punches on incoming fast/powerful shots. I thanked him for his time.

Hitting with the lady next FH-FH - she is over the table and her FH is 70% hitting and 30% spin. Again, i find i'm structurally slower than her like my previous partner the 2200 PH. But I am able to return some shots because of the T25. After a few minutes of me flat hitting her FH, i started to work my close-to-the-table-short-stroke-FH loop. I don't know if I was too forceful on my loops or too fast, we were not steady enough. I tried to slow my stroke down with varying success. We then went BH-BH. I used a fuller RPB flat hit stroke. Some were high and I hit those as a half-smash. Slowly getting the RPB. I have to adjust to the extended fingers grip for better RPB shots, but i also tried the TPB curled fingers grip and definitely the extended grip is better. A few times though balls hit my fingers, but that happens also with my curled grip, but not as much.

In the past, we would have a bucket of balls and practice serve-receive-rally. Last night, she changed it up, if receiver returns 10 serves, it's their turn to serve then. She was able to return 10 of my serves faster than me returning 10 of her serves. However, she worked her FH pendulum sidedown serves mostly so I RPB brush them. Some of my returns had a lot of topspin. Using Xiom Vega Pro. Very interesting. I practiced 75% FH pendulum serves... mostly sidedown, but some sidetop. For now, I'm using my dinosaur long stroke pendulum serve as I didn't want to add another aspect I need to work on in shortening the stroke as I am getting used to a new setup. Some of serves she misjudged and the break/kick after serve landed was good and it took off and made her miss. My rocket serves still doesn't have the speed i used to get. The few down-the-line rocket serves I had was effective enough. Caught her flat-footed sometimes, and sometimes her footwork was fast enough to get there. She returned to my BH and my muscle memory punched to her BH and she couldn't get over in time. I don't know if i can be as effective with my RPB punch on 3rd ball after a rocket serve as I am with my 3rd ball TPB punch.

I served only one no spin serve or in my mind's eye it was no spin. She popped it and it flew out. There was a member on the next table that I recognized from my regular club. He hasn't gone to the regular club as much lately. He saw the serve and commented "Good serve". He sometimes coaches, and he is at least 2 levels above me. I'm sure he noticed it was no spin and that it wasn't sidetop. Must mix in more no spin serves.

It was getting late and I thanked her for her time. Just before I left, my coach friend commented to me that I should not be brushing the ball on my RPB and should look to hit it more like in the FH, 70% hit/30% spin. I thanked him for his tip and will try that more. However, i made a mental note that I'm getting used to a RPB 2nd ball slow spinny loop ... the same tactic, but on the FH side and on 3rd ball, that Der taught me last year. Lately I find on my FH loop i cannot slow spin/brush it. Need to work on that more.

Going to meet up 42andbackpains tonight at his club and ask for his advice on my strokes and what to work on.

As always, thank you TTD CCers for reading my long-winded status reports and may all the net and edge balls go your way!

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
@Der_Echte I think Jeff is Secretary at Austin Table Tennis. Not sure about Louis, but I'll keep my eyes open and say hi if i see them!

He was in Texas U and played at Austin TTC when they were building the building in 2009, then later moved to San Antone I think, maybe he back in the fine city of Austin...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
400 Pages of Daily Table Tennis Chit chat ! :D Yay!
I have been lurking for a while now, had a drop of motivation to play because of rl stuff.

Going to play a two day tournament tomorrow, I might even record there :) Not that happy with my game atm but well It certainly doesn't hurt.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
400 Pages of Daily Table Tennis Chit chat ! :D Yay!
I have been lurking for a while now, had a drop of motivation to play because of rl stuff.

Going to play a two day tournament tomorrow, I might even record there :) Not that happy with my game atm but well It certainly doesn't hurt.

Congratulations on 400 pages Boogar!

Hope RL resolves itself and you can get motivated for TT again.

Good luck and have fun tomorrow and Sunday!!

Reactions: Boogar and JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Happy World Table Tennis Day everyone!
Prior to going to the TT club, I had a thought of taking out my previous bats. I value each of them alot, and I thought of taking a photo of all of them as they have accompanied me through different stages in my life.

Bats.jpg
Not sure if its just me, as I am doing a term in cardiology, but does that look like a heart with vessels shooting off at the top hahaha.
At the uni TT club, again a very low number of players turned up.
I played with an uncle whom I haven't played for at least 4 months. We just have a random hit, and then practice some serve and receive.
Then I play with my friend who plays quite frequent, and practiced more 'hitting' against backspin.
I also practiced some chopping with inverted rubbers for fun. I feel my touch on the forehand chop today was quite good, but I still haven't quite got the touch for chopping backhand. Not sure whether I should use the traditional backhand side to chop, or the RPB side.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
it does look like the heart future cardiologist , or may be it is the reason why you arranged them in that way :) ... just don't get twisted into a pretzel chopping with RPB my friend .. LOL ... have fun :)
Happy World Table Tennis Day everyone!
Prior to going to the TT club, I had a thought of taking out my previous bats. I value each of them alot, and I thought of taking a photo of all of them as they have accompanied me through different stages in my life.

View attachment 16041
Not sure if its just me, as I am doing a term in cardiology, but does that look like a heart with vessels shooting off at the top hahaha.
At the uni TT club, again a very low number of players turned up.
I played with an uncle whom I haven't played for at least 4 months. We just have a random hit, and then practice some serve and receive.
Then I play with my friend who plays quite frequent, and practiced more 'hitting' against backspin.
I also practiced some chopping with inverted rubbers for fun. I feel my touch on the forehand chop today was quite good, but I still haven't quite got the touch for chopping backhand. Not sure whether I should use the traditional backhand side to chop, or the RPB side.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Si-hing,

I am not a PH chopper as you know, although my strokes are so bad, I'm not even a PH attacker LOL

IMO, RPB chopping > TPB BH chopping because you have extra reach with RPB but it takes some getting used to. A friend at my regular club actually has good serves and good FH loop, but when he plays games he is a PH Chopper! He uses RPB to chop on BH side FWIW.

~osph

--------

Happy World TT Day DTT CCers! Glad i got to play today on this day!

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffM and ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Oh My Guoyuehua!

I met forum member songdavid98 when I went to meet up with 42andbackpains this past Saturday night. Originally I was to go meet up with 42&bp last Thursday, but I couldn't make it.

I hit with 42&bp for about an hour. He had to leave. I then hit with songdavid98. They both were gracious in their time with me and helping/teaching me RPB. They also had advice on my FH loop.

Unedited video

https://youtu.be/04uDPbLmoS8

0:00-1:20 - TPB punch with 42andbackpains
1:21-1:36 - trying to RPB punch
1:36-2:57 - I hit SH BH
2:58-8:18 RPB add spin, songdavid giving tips
8:19-end I RPB with songdavid98 and throughout he is giving pointers and correcting my stroke

Highlights

~9:07 NextLevel mention! :)
~15:42 member wants to play songdavid98
~20:11 i'm rushing throughout - slow it down and keep the same rhythm - strive for high quality shot
~23:45 songdavid98: "I pretend my BH is my FH"
~24:10-24:30 can do it slowly; songdavid98: "I like this. Everything is you."
~25:19-25:23 42andbackpains: "Your BH looks better than your FH." LOLOL

KEY POINTS OF RPB SPINNING

* Elbow high
* Add spin to each shot
* Shots should have an arc

Afterwards, I got to drill with songdavid98 (no video - ran out of batteries):

1. He FH loop to my TPB block/punch ... he noted I was not consistent with my stroke ... I was trying just to return his shots via TPB block/punch, and didn't use proper stroke 'cos i was lazy with footwork to get into proper position and trying to get used to the new setup

2. One to his FH and one to his BH

3. He pendulum served sidedown and I was to push back to his BH and he did whatever on 3rd ball ...my only comment is that his serve was incredible for me to witness! It seemed to bounce within 1 cm of the net on his side and then 1 cm from the net on my side and almost all of them were close to the edge. Pretty much perfect placement! If i was slow in stepping in, I would not be able to push back. OK i may be exaggerating a little, but it is not far from what happened!!

4. I then serve whatever and he 2nd ball whatever. I served some pendulum sidedown to his FH ... my serves were first bounce in the middle of the table, and some of the 2nd bounce very close to the net on his side. As well as I placed some of the serves, he showed why he is 2300... super fast footwork and smooth and fast FH loop, many of which were smoked past me!
--------------

Sunday night, i went to my new club. I hit with my friends P and "Mommy". Still trying to get used to the Tenergy 25. Then I had serve practice with the lady that has become a regular partner at the new club. As much as I tried to override my TPB punch down the line and use RPB, i cannot get it out of muscle memory. After a rocket serve to her BH, she BH to my BH and I TPB punched down the line. She didn't expect the speed of the punch so fast down the line.

She served pendulum side down and i pushed to her FH to help her FH loop out, she loops to my BH and I TPB angle block to her BH. She sometimes was caught.

I like training with her, as I mentioned before her FH is structurally faster than mine and I have a lot to learn from her on that. She has a punch/hook serve to my FH that catches me flatfooted. Some of my pushes bounced too high and off the table. Haven't gotten used to feel/touch needed with T25 for my pushing game.

I then RPB flat hit with my friend who is a coach. He wants to help me build the RPB up, instead of having me spin, he wanted to me get the flat hit first.

KEY POINTS OF RPB FLAT HITTING

* do not hit the ball at the top of the bounce
* wait a bit longer and let it drop before flat-hitting it back

https://youtu.be/71YLQ76Qtqg

After hitting RPB, i FH flat hit and looped with him. My balls bounced off too much. Still not used to it. I officially gave up on the T25 and changed to Donic Bluefire M1 Turbo on my FH. Still using Xiom Vega Pro on my BH. After glue dried, I tested the new rubber. I seem to have better control on my FH than with T25, although I know there were many shots my skill level couldn't have returned but the T25 did all the work and returned it. It's Yin-Yang though using T25, good that i make the shot back, but bad, it's not me, it's the rubber.

Deepest gratitude to songdavid98 and 42andbackpains!

Last edited: