Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I've never understood why the Japanese tournaments don't have barriers between the tables?

Doesn't the ball from the adjacent tables come over and interrupt play quite a lot?

I never been there to Japan, but I bet they roll like the Koreans. The Koreans will set up 2 rows of 12 tables and only have a barrier between rows, not tables. People be retrieving balls from under your table during the point and it isn't a let over there.

Sounds crazy, but after a while, you get used to it.

I had culture shock when I got back to USA, everyone wanted to stop play on three tables for a ball going through a court.

This user has no status.
@Lula

in my video above, I'm trying (and missing) a BH kill (see comments for timing). I was very confident to make the shot i don't miss it often [thats why i pumped the fist already LOL]. I make a bigger swing and hit the ball flat to execute this shot, just wait for the good timing. Be relaxed and don't use wrist. Maybe just slightly upon impact where you also firm the grip a little.

NDH

says Spin to win!
I never been there to Japan, but I bet they roll like the Koreans. The Koreans will set up 2 rows of 12 tables and only have a barrier between rows, not tables. People be retrieving balls from under your table during the point and it isn't a let over there.

Sounds crazy, but after a while, you get used to it.

I had culture shock when I got back to USA, everyone wanted to stop play on three tables for a ball going through a court.

Christ, some of the old folk in the UK would have a heart attack at that.

Some people call a let if there's someone in their eye-line moving about behind the court!

You couldn't get more English if you tried.......

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I've never understood why the Japanese tournaments don't have barriers between the tables?

Doesn't the ball from the adjacent tables come over and interrupt play quite a lot?

well it would cost a lot of money to buy all those barriers

As a result, even if a ball comes by, the play is usually not interrupted. I would never stop playing unless the umpire calls it, its too dangerous not to play the point. The point would be replayed only if a ball flies over the table, hits a player, or bounces just in front of him. If you see a ball passing by behind your opponent or yourself, best thing to do is to play the ball.

Everybody knows this so the play is not often interrupted as you may think

In Korea, they only call a let if a ball bounces ON TOP of your table from another table, or if the ball hits another player from the next court before opponent can play the ball, or you run into another player while trying to make a play.

That is it. Everything else goes. Crazy, but it is simple to understand and easy to enforce.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

Some people call a let if there's someone in their eye-line moving about behind the court!

Haha, in Korea, you will have 12 of your opponents supporters cheering before, during, and after the point... and if you are lucky, YOUR COACH will be behind the barriers telling you how to play the point DURING THE POINT.

LOOP !! Connecting SHOT !! CONNECTING SHOT !! Go FOREHAND !! Crossover !! SMASHING !!

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
You'll get this in Sweden as well. I played at Spårvägen last night (the club of J-O and Appelgren) and they have got rows of 4-6 tables with just the odd barrier put out a bit half heartedly. There was probably 6-8 team matches going on at the same time and balls were flying all over the place with people running into your court fetching the ball. Annoying at first but you get used to it.

Here's what the place looks like:
http://www.battrestadsdel.se/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/08fc1825400146298a39c07a8956fc3a.jpg

Really low ceiling as well.

This user has no status.
Haha, in Korea, you will have 12 of your opponents supporters cheering before, during, and after the point... and if you are lucky, YOUR COACH will be behind the barriers telling you how to play the point DURING THE POINT.

LOOP !! Connecting SHOT !! CONNECTING SHOT !! Go FOREHAND !! Crossover !! SMASHING !!

We're a French team playing in Japan, so I must admit if we shout something in French during the game, nobody else will understand it LOL

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Did a Sunday RR at Sitta TTC. Was player 4 in a 6 player Div 1 group. Expected to go 2-3... Went 2-3...

Yet it was a really good 2-3 for me beyond just achieving the expected result.

I had to fight and claw and have courage 4-5 points down in 5th vs a player who is now equal to or above my level head to head. Expected a long serve when I got to match point... got the long serve and it was to my FH to cream-kill it for the roll up your sleeve flex bicep moment rip your shirt sleeve off.

Vs Sergey Scoobie Doo lost in 5th again, could have won if 2 shots do not hit net and go out. Opening consistent, short receive to his FH consistent, made 80% of step in finish FH flip kill on his dead short bump. Spin variation was a bit easier, got some points there, continuous attacking better than usual, created chances to hit angles after my first loop. So many ways improved over a month ago its silly.

Sergey reminded me that this is the second time in a row I took him to 5th and had chances.

We all went to Cheezecake Factory and shot the shoot for 1.5 hours and went home.

In before the IBM automated Sandbagging delinquency notification. :D

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.

Barriers must completely surround and it's literally a compulsory let if a ball comes in the area, as in the umpire shouts let and essentially stops the players playing the point. Different cultures indeed!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Did a Sunday RR at Sitta TTC. Was player 4 in a 6 player Div 1 group. Expected to go 2-3... Went 2-3...

Yet it was a really good 2-3 for me beyond just achieving the expected result.

I had to fight and claw and have courage 4-5 points down in 5th vs a player who is now equal to or above my level head to head. Expected a long serve when I got to match point... got the long serve and it was to my FH to cream-kill it for the roll up your sleeve flex bicep moment rip your shirt sleeve off.

Vs Sergey Scoobie Doo lost in 5th again, could have won if 2 shots do not hit net and go out. Opening consistent, short receive to his FH consistent, made 80% of step in finish FH flip kill on his dead short bump. Spin variation was a bit easier, got some points there, continuous attacking better than usual, created chances to hit angles after my first loop. So many ways improved over a month ago its silly.

Sergey reminded me that this is the second time in a row I took him to 5th and had chances.

We all went to Cheezecake Factory and shot the shoot for 1.5 hours and went home.

In before the IBM automated Sandbagging delinquency notification. :D

Where is all the faux pastry negativity? Without it, I can make the case for sandbagging.

More seriously we need video. With video we can see whether these things are true.

Those of us who know your old game have an instinctive idea of what is happening but I don't want to bias anyone, post some video and Lula will see for himself.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
How is your backhand flick over the table? A coach told me to replicate the flick from behind the table as I was doing the same as you but my flick looked ok. It definitely helped me as the strokes should actually not be all that much different, if you watch Dima you can see this very clearly. But for me they were very different because I dropped bat and had too open a blade face when away from table.

I have the racket higher closer to the table i think, so i try to have the racket high further away to. But i do not agree with your coach that your flick should look like your backhand loop further away from the table. It is okay to play a shot that looks like the backhand flick close to the table because you do not have the time to use more arm there and the short is mostly for the tempo. But further away you need to play harder i think, so you need to use the forearm alot more. if you use just the wrist you will not get enough power. I think Dima plays pretty close to the table, but i think he uses more forearm aswell if he is further away from the table.

@Lula

in my video above, I'm trying (and missing) a BH kill (see comments for timing). I was very confident to make the shot i don't miss it often [thats why i pumped the fist already LOL]. I make a bigger swing and hit the ball flat to execute this shot, just wait for the good timing. Be relaxed and don't use wrist. Maybe just slightly upon impact where you also firm the grip a little.

I agree that the timing is important. Important to wait for the ball and hit it close to the body.

Reactions: RidTheKid
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Where is all the faux pastry negativity? Without it, I can make the case for sandbagging.

More seriously we need video. With video we can see whether these things are true.

Those of us who know your old game have an instinctive idea of what is happening but I don't want to bias anyone, post some video and Lula will see for himself.
Yeah, I owe it to you and Lula to make a vid of one match vs Scoobie Doo good or bad.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ttmonster and Lula
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Had the second adult training tonight. Went very well. They have alot of focus and figth hard so it is really fun.

I also had some time to train myself before the adult trainiing. I am working at my backhand kill like i said before, or having the racket higher in general against topspin, especially on my backhand.

For some time i tried serving with my inverted rubber and twiddle back to the short pimple but i think this took to much time. Now it try to do a much much higher throw, so maybe i can generate more spin from this. A little he zhi wen style.

I am also working on the return game. I try to push much harder. And have recently learned that is good to try to push with the racket almost vertical compared to having the racket angle open. With a more closed racket angle, you hit more behind the ball and get much speed, but is not so safe at the moment and i think it work best against nospin and sidespin serves. Instead of hitting more under the ball. One problem is that i push the racket in the table all the time so i am somewhat destroying my racket and the table.

Interested to hear your opinions about this. Especially the returns. I have played for almost 20 years and been a coach for 10 years but i have never thought about pushing with a vertical racket angle. I have more just jab(not sure about this word) the ball forward.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Had the second adult training tonight. Went very well. They have alot of focus and figth hard so it is really fun.

I also had some time to train myself before the adult trainiing. I am working at my backhand kill like i said before, or having the racket higher in general against topspin, especially on my backhand.

For some time i tried serving with my inverted rubber and twiddle back to the short pimple but i think this took to much time. Now it try to do a much much higher throw, so maybe i can generate more spin from this. A little he zhi wen style.

I am also working on the return game. I try to push much harder. And have recently learned that is good to try to push with the racket almost vertical compared to having the racket angle open. With a more closed racket angle, you hit more behind the ball and get much speed, but is not so safe at the moment and i think it work best against nospin and sidespin serves. Instead of hitting more under the ball. One problem is that i push the racket in the table all the time so i am somewhat destroying my racket and the table.

Interested to hear your opinions about this. Especially the returns. I have played for almost 20 years and been a coach for 10 years but i have never thought about pushing with a vertical racket angle. I have more just jab(not sure about this word) the ball forward.

BRS would like this. He is practicing this push - it was shown to him as the correct forehand push by a high level coach on Denmark at a camp. Deep and fast with more closed angle. I want to try it too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
BRS would like this. He is practicing this push - it was shown to him as the correct forehand push by a high level coach on Denmark at a camp. Deep and fast with more closed angle. I want to try it too.

I have only pushed the ball slow this way so i get a nospin return, but have not really chopped at the backside of the ball hard so i hit the table with the edge of my racket all the time. Have a hard time explaining the different in chopping with my limited english i feel.

A friend of mine, which i have barely seen play played a tournament and did these really fast pushes. The rest of his game was not amazing, but i have never seen better pushes. It was okay for him to push long instead of playing short, because the quality of the pushes was so high so he never got a difficult ball against him.

I feel that i am much better at blocking and counterlooping than him, and i base my game around this and smashing with my forehand so his returns would suit my gamestyle very very good so i will work hard on these. I feel that it is very important to be aggressive and most important take the ball at the highest point so you can push down fast. But it is not very safe at the moment but the return is very fast.

I really recommend people to try this. Nextlevel, try it the next practice. Feels very unatural to have the vertical angle, like you are amost going to miss the ball but it works pretty okay after some practice and against some serves.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Just piecing together a few clips from my practice match tonight.

I was playing with a very good Romanian guy (who I play with). I much prefer playing against better people (and he is better than me!)

Video to follow!

haha, you are lucky. I think almost everyone want to play against better players. I almost never play with better players. But i still work on some technique, and i feel this works pretty okay against not as good players. And if i make the exercise easy for them and hard for me it goes well to.

NDH

says Spin to win!
haha, you are lucky. I think almost everyone want to play against better players. I almost never play with better players. But i still work on some technique, and i feel this works pretty okay against not as good players. And if i make the exercise easy for them and hard for me it goes well to.

Yeah, we play in the same team, and our average is within 5% of each other!

Although I feel he's a much more technical player than I am - He has the capability to win matches I don't, although he probably doesn't win as many as he should.

Half of the matches in the top leagues are finding a way to win ugly at times - I tend to do that a little better! haha

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
NDH is another sandbagger by the way. The sandbaggers are DerEchte, Richie and NDH. You will think when they compare their games to others that they have issues but they have things they do incredibly well that you can only beat them by taking away from them. If they complain about their game/technique don't be fooled.:p