Is over celebrating a problem in table tennis?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 4 reviews
With Harimoto winning the under 21 men's singles title at the Japan open there's been a lot of discussion on how he over celebrates his points.

Just wondering what everyone thinks on this topic and if there's a problem in general with over celebrating in table tennis? Has anyone had a problem with players over celebrating against you?

Here's a link to full article on the subject.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
It's pretty lame. Though it seems mainly the younger players do this, and as they get older it tapers off. Even Zhang Jike used to be quite a hollerer!

Shouting in TT is made even worse because there are so many points in such a short span of time...

Reactions: Thomas Jeffcott
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I was watching his match and I had the same thought. Its definitely annoying. Not sure how much for the opponent , but definitely for the viewers especially if there is no volume control and commentary.
From the opponents point of view , it will take some getting used to but I think grunting would be much more of any issue, unless somebody is cho-ing nets , edges and service mistakes from the opponent. As long as it is celebratory and not insulting , I think it will be okay.

But to make the sport attractive, the ITTF should introduce some mechanism to check it because otherwise it will become an obnoxious shouting match ..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
Who did Harimoto play in the mens singles?

He lost to Oshima Yuya and Oshima lost to Lee Sangsu. Bad day for Japanese in their own Open. Jun is the only Japanese left in the last 8 but not for long because he will have to face Ma Long today.

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
I find "cho"ing over opponents mistake is rude in the first place unless you're playing on your last set. You should be celebrating for a good ball that you did on your own, not some lucky rally that you got because of some mistake.
Are You su~re? [emoji48]

Not relatable to Harimoto case, but,

Can We Defender (Chopper, Blocker) be happy that the poor opponent fall to Our Traps? [emoji12] [emoji1] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my S5G using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you didn't get it from my post, I think TT players make this into something when it is not. I find choing usually sounds stupid. But in all sports when someone does something big they celebrate in some way. It seems like TT players are prudes about this. As though it is not okay to yell something like "hell yeah" when you make a great shot. Perhaps TT players should get more creative with their celebrations. More entertaining.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Is excessive celebration a problem? No. But this sure would be a nicer sport if people were humble.

Imagine a game of chess. If you win a game, you would feel good. If my opponent was the world champion, I would probably stun myself. If it were a 5 year old kid, you probably wouldn't think too much of it.
Let's say you celebrated. Now keep playing games of chess until one of you get to 11(you can play out deuces if you want).
How do you think your opponent would feel about your celebration? How about bystanders and spectators?

My most memorable match I've ever had was against Mark Berg. It was my first tournament ever. I noticed Mark's angry attitude the moment I entered the club. You could hear him screaming across the club whenever he lost a point. When I played with Mark, I did the smart thing: be super polite. I kept saying sorry and stuff and never celebrated. Mark didn't get angry once. Even after I beat him, he never yelled once. I did the same thing in another tournament against Mark; he was still quiet.

Lots of players have also pointed out that you do make yourself look like an idiot when you celebrate.

I normall don't celebrate much. Rarely do I do it loudly. Sometimes, I'll silently think to myself "hell yeah" and walk away calmly like in action movies where people walk away from explosions behind them. I might say WOAH if I do something I feel is absolutely amazing and beyond me. Amazing enough that both players feel wowed and awed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I personally don't enjoy it.
But from Coaches view and understanding why coaches command kids to do it - I agree with the concept.

Sports can't be nicer in humble at the end of the day.
Is soccer/football humble? yes you have your sportsmanship play, but most of the time it is far from humble
Basketball humble? Tennis has lots of noise too (and I think that led to TT noise pollution lol)

It is equally important to coach a kid to express himself and put his whole focus on the game (and not have his mind wondering around)
But you do also have a noise pollution problem too.

Over celebrating is silly - especially if you did not win the point. This can train the kid incorrectly too.

I agree once kids become more mature, they stop certain idiotic habits
Over celebrating is one of them.
With more maturity, they tend to play a different game of table tennis.
But then again, we also see ZJK over celebrating and getting a big fine too :p
I guess end of the day, this is part of the sport
kids sport is different to mens sport
difficult one indeed

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I started to watch the Hariomoto match against Hugo Calderano and I had to shut it off.

This is something relatively new and I wish coaches would stop this at a young age.

Once in awhile on a big point it's ok. Or even at the end of the match. But on every single point you win, not matter how mundane?

Please. Just. Stop.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Alright, here is how I think of this stuff. Real, honest celebration is good. I have a friend who is African but speaks French and he says "Alle" or is it "Allay" and it actually sounds like exactly the emotion that goes with him making a great shot.

Cho, from most people sounds like someone imitating someone else. And this kid making guttural shrieks makes him seem a bit like an annoying dog barking. And Bernadette Szocs sounds like a wounded Harpie being tortured.

But good quality celebrations, or even ones that were entertaining, I think, would be a good thing for the sport and this sort of thing is severely lacking.

There is this video where Waldner gets on his knee and makes a fist: that was a classy celebration. I remember footage of Persson lying on his back and shaking his legs after a big win: that was was funny; but still good. And those celebrations did give you an idea of how big it was for Sweden to take the World Team Title in head to head combat against China. So, they were, in some way, inspiring.

I wouldn't care if it was ridiculous like the Ickey Woods Shuffle that I including in my first set of videos. And back when he was doing that, it was all over the media despite or perhaps, because of how ridiculous it was. It expressed his joy at doing something well without being an assault on the opponent. So, it may have been silly, but it made a lot of people watch Bengal games for several years hoping to get to see Ickey do his shuffle.

Look at how much positive attention Muhammed Ali brought to boxing by being a great and unconventional character and a large part of that was him talking smack and being outrageous.

So, some colorful characters hamming it up once in a while might be a good thing. So, it isn't celebrations that are the problem. But some kid shrieking over and over because his opponent missed a shot, well, the only person who really looks like an idiot with that kind of thing is the one doing it.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 4 reviews
If you didn't get it from my post, I think TT players make this into something when it is not. I find choing usually sounds stupid. But in all sports when someone does something big they celebrate in some way. It seems like TT players are prudes about this. As though it is not okay to yell something like "hell yeah" when you make a great shot. Perhaps TT players should get more creative with their celebrations. More entertaining.

I agree with your point about TT players being prudes sometimes about this. I think choing is only bad if you celebrate a net or an edge. Also if you aim your celebration too much at your opponent by staring at them or mocking them as you do it, this is maybe a bit too aggressive and could lead to physical violence if it gets too heated.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 4 reviews
sometimes over celebrating can be a bit annoying, but I don't consider it a real problem. If someone is happy with how he plays...well, why not; if he/she really "over-celebrates" it could become distracting even to the celebrating player if the opponent keeps his cool.

In the case of Harimoto. I really don't see the problem; he's twelve years old, he's a child.