• France

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
However, with the GER current resources (sorry, simply sluggish old stocks, Timo's moment is over), to come this far playing in the OG semi has been truly an achievement indeed!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
I checked playing system. Sadly Roskopf had to guess on which position mizu will play. It was 50/50 and they missed :(

Well for me it seemed that it was more than obvious taht mizu will play at no2. maybe rosskopf tried to steal the match and expected more from boll. Cant find any logic behind his decision but for sure he had some reasont to place the players like that.

If mizu lost to dima japan would win the doubles + steger vs mizu and then it boils down dima vs niwa in the decider.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
franziska didnt manage to qualify. who will replace boll or steger if they should retire? easier to say than do it
just look at the netherlands football team. They have very good years but when the players getting old they change all of them, next few years they put younger players to get experience and later on the are again very good. German TT players where second team in the world for many years, they had 5 players in top 30. Now you Can See all of them are old or retired Boll, Steger, Baum, suss. So they only have ovtcharov while the same time japanese tries many new players, o?mioma yuya, masataka, shiono, maharu. That is an option. Anyway I always liked boll because he is so fair and polite, but he should retire, he just started loosing to non top 20 players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
Germany vs Japan 1/2

Dimitrij Ovtcharov vs Maharu Yoshimura Highlights

Timo Boll vs Jun Mizutani Highlights

Jun MIZUTANI vs Bastian Steger Highlights

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Yoshimura really cried a lot in the post match interview, anyone knows why? (I don't understand Japanese :( )

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
The doubles match was decisive. I wanted the match dima vs mizutani.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5X mediante Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Well for me it seemed that it was more than obvious taht mizu will play at no2. maybe rosskopf tried to steal the match and expected more from boll. Cant find any logic behind his decision but for sure he had some reasont to place the players like that.

If mizu lost to dima japan would win the doubles + steger vs mizu and then it boils down dima vs niwa in the decider.

Did you checked Olympic team playing systemm or just talking? Jap played for A and germany for X. Where is no difference if mizu will play on A letter or B because later A OR B can play in second round. So Roskopf had simply to guess which letter will mizu play. And they missed.
Logic german line up. Dima plays against Mizu (WIN). Timo against Yoshimura (WIN). german looses doubles. Mizu win against Steger. Dima wons last match. So in this logic case TIMO was main factor. Ofcourse dima could lsot to mizu too, but..

Last edited:
Reactions: samsara and slym
This user has no status.
MAze retired after knee surgery, he never was the same, it is time for Boll to take the high road and retire, he is slow, slugish and makes too many unforced errors. He will always be loved and admired by many but if he stays he is going to do more damage than good to the German team. Germany needs to groom new talent, a new generation.

Reactions: ttboll
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Kind of sad to see Boll lose like this. I only saw the third set but I was really confused at Boll's tactics.

The forehand flip wasn't working so many times. I saw him push long twice and then do what he does best: Counter Attack close to the table. Why didn't he keep doing that? Why on earth was he straying to the half-distance where Mizutani is clearly superior? Can someone who has watched the entire game please answer this?

Don't get me wrong Mizutani has improved a great deal but I expected better than a 3:0 thrashing.
Nextlevel, did you see the match? Any insights?

This user has no status.
but germany has none. the table tennis in germany is lead by old man who never had a racket in their hand. they are just doing buisness that they can earn money. they are not supporting the base thus their will not be a real new generation. professional high class table tennis is going to die in germany after ovtcharov.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I think, european countries should focus more on fresh talent. Coaches should nourish new players, instead of supporting the established superstars more. Look at China, you go past 30 you are already second hand. As it pains me to see it... Players like Wang Liqin, Ma Lin, Wang Hao and Chen Qi were forced to retire even though they could probably still beat the best in the world if they trained. Making way for the next generation. While the top players of other countries are people over 30 years old. It's good to have veterans on the team, but having more atheles in their pick strength is more important in every sport. It takes time to develop knowledge and technique in table tennis, but proper coaching should reduce that time. It's also not a bad idea to just pick players who are exceptionally fast and with great physique, and teach them technique and knowledge of the game, rather then picking the most talented out of the bunch who understands the game better at moments time...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Nextlevel, did you see the match? Any insights?

Yes. I am not sure why people are blaming Rosskopf. Anyone following Russian league knows that Mizutani has been beating Dima and Samsonov recently - he has even joined their team to prevent Orenburg from having any serious competition in Russia now. So changing order would not have done much. Not even sure Boll in current condition can beat Yoshimura. Yoshimura is higher ranked than Niwa for people who have not looked at the ITTF rankings recently. In these team events, it is very valuable to have the best player or a player that can beat everyone on the other team. That limits the other team's options. So Japan was okay if Dima played Jun, but they were okay if Dima did not play Jun as their doubles is better. I personally believe Mizutani is at ZJK level right now. They would play a good match if they were allowed to play each other.

Rosskopf was really hoping that historical head to head and Boll vs lefties would help them get the win they needed, Mizutani is new Mizutani and Boll is not Boll. But I am sure Rosskopf knew they were the worse team and had to hope that Boll would deliver. I expected better than 3-0 thrashing but I already saw how Boll struggled with CCA and Mizutani is on a different level now. Boll is also older so daily play is not as easy.

The other thing is that German team, probably because of Boll's injuries and their European league formats, doesn't take doubles seriously, so none of the Doubles teams are fully practiced. Niwa and Yoshimura are established doubles players and have been playing doubles together for a long time, sometimes even in junior years.

I think an objective ranking for Germany as a team is probably #4. Korea tomorrow is a better *Team*, again with an established doubles pair and three top 20 players, one arguably top 10 with JYS, and the real hope will depend on whether Boll or Steger can beat Joo, but there are more matchups that Germany can win Korea than they can win vs. JApan. But Boll plays defence really well so that will be the hope.

Curious how long Mizutani can keep this level and whether he can even improve it honestly.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Why didn't he keep doing that? Why on earth was he straying to the half-distance where Mizutani is clearly superior?

Boll is much slower than he used to be. It is obvious. Mizutani is also playing faster. It takes a certain confidence to stay at the table and take Mizutani's power. If you notice, Mizutani is almost jumping every time he plays a forehand topspin now. Boll is no longer fast enough to control that power and speed consistently at the table. Boll's banana flip I think was missing in action because if he had that under control, he could have forced the way Mizutani was going to play the next ball. But the overall speed from Boll has been lacking in these games.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Mizutani is clearly the best no chinese player nowadays. He is in a sweet moment.

This user has no status.
Mizutani is clearly the best no chinese player nowadays. He is in a sweet moment.

Indeed Mizutani's level is off the charts, His level took a dive 2 years ago, for a moment I though he was done for, but he started to improve again last year and boy did he improve.

He should be ranked #4 after the top three Chinese players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: