Recommend a blade/rubber combo to a beginner

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Hello,

what would be a good combo for a beginner? I've played for about 4 months now and would describe myself as a beginner (per title).

Thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Welcome to the forum.

This topic has already been covered pretty often.

After doing a quick search, I found a post of UpSideDownCarl with great advice:

Inexpensive Chinese blades that would be excellent for a beginner:

Yinhe/Galaxy 896 blade
Yinhe/Galaxy W6 blade

For a little more money you have loads of great blades that would be good for a beginner from all the major brands. Here are some, in no particular order:

1) Stiga Allround Evolution
2) Stiga Allround Classic
3) Stiga Offensive Classic
4) Yasaka Sweden Extra
5) Nexy Peter Pan
6) Tibhar Kim Jung Hoon
7) Tibhar Stratus Power Wood

There are loads more. Most of those are pretty reasonably priced. But I put a couple that are on the slightly more expensive side of things.

As for rubbers, inexpensive Chinese rubbers would be fine. 729 rubbers are fine. So would something like Dawei 2008XP.

Or your friend could go with classic Japanese rubbers like Butterly Sriver or Sriver FX; or Yasaka Mark V. Or you could go with an older generation ESN rubber like Xiom Vega Pro or Europe.

The rubbers on FH and BH should be the same or same but slightly softer on BH. But they shouldn't be very different for a beginner. Like you wouldn't want 729 on one side and Vega Pro on the other.

With that in mind the rubbers could be paired with any of the blades.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This should be useful information for any budget.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Welcome to the forum.

This topic has already been covered pretty often.

After doing a quick search, I found a post of UpSideDownCarl with great advice:

This should be useful information for any budget.

Thanks Jirrex. Good info. [emoji2]

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
So you ask for a combo [racket] that help you while you are a beginner then you change it when you get improved or a racket that can last and stay with you for long time even if you improved?

Mostly they will advise you to go with all wood or even carbon blade that is all round or nearly OFF-, and put a more forgiving rubber so you don't have difficulties.

The most rubber i see beginners in the academy are using is Yasaka Rakza 7 soft, they used it mostly for BH, so you can start with this for BH and it will serve you long even if you improved, and for FH i don't know a good option, some start with something expensive and being happy with it for long run, and the one that i can really highly recommend you is Butterfly Tenergy T05FX, if not try with Tibhar MX-P instead, but i feel those two rubbers are more advanced and fast for you now, but if you go with a proper blade then those two rubber will do just fine.

Blade is a big topic too, believe me many will recommend you many options according to their experiences, so this is up to you, I started with YinHe N-11 but didn't use it much, then Butterfly Jun Mizutani which was great, but the one that i have which i feel that is suitable for you is Butterfly Primorac EX if you can find it, but many here really like Stiga Clipper somehow, give this a try.

Also my recommendation is, if you can find some people around you to test their blades then you can feel the differences between rackets, you may like one blade handle, or another blade weight, or one rubber performance,...etc, so try to test others rackets for short time then it may narrow your choices and search, i gave my rackets to new/beginners players and it helped them mostly, so it will be good if you can have this opportunity with some.

Good luck!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Wow thanks for all the feedback, and so quickly too!

For everyone's reference, this is what I have been using: http://www.zeropong.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40_80&products_id=352

What i have found/experienced is that the ball bounces off of my paddle (both sides) TOO quickly, so if my opponent serves a pendulum to my left side (I play shake hand right handed) I cant return it with my backhand very well. It just bounces from left to right.

On the forehand stroke it requires a little effort to get it over the net.

My coworker who has been playing for decades told me to get this + tenergy 05 and forget about it: http://shop.butterflyonline.com/innerforce-layer-alc

But that seems a little steep for a beginner, and I don't think someone my skill level would be able to appreciate the qualities/advantages of that setup.

I will admit I did play better with his setup, but I want to "earn" that setup, if that makes sense lol.

So I hope that clarifies things a little bit. I'll look into the current suggestions right away. Where is the cheapest place to buy paddles in Southern California btw?

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
So you ask for a combo [racket] that help you while you are a beginner then you change it when you get improved or a racket that can last and stay with you for long time even if you improved?

Mostly they will advise you to go with all wood or even carbon blade that is all round or nearly OFF-, and put a more forgiving rubber so you don't have difficulties.

The most rubber i see beginners in the academy are using is Yasaka Rakza 7 soft, they used it mostly for BH, so you can start with this for BH and it will serve you long even if you improved, and for FH i don't know a good option, some start with something expensive and being happy with it for long run, and the one that i can really highly recommend you is Butterfly Tenergy T05FX, if not try with Tibhar MX-P instead, but i feel those two rubbers are more advanced and fast for you now, but if you go with a proper blade then those two rubber will do just fine.

Blade is a big topic too, believe me many will recommend you many options according to their experiences, so this is up to you, I started with YinHe N-11 but didn't use it much, then Butterfly Jun Mizutani which was great, but the one that i have which i feel that is suitable for you is Butterfly Primorac EX if you can find it, but many here really like Stiga Clipper somehow, give this a try.

Also my recommendation is, if you can find some people around you to test their blades then you can feel the differences between rackets, you may like one blade handle, or another blade weight, or one rubber performance,...etc, so try to test others rackets for short time then it may narrow your choices and search, i gave my rackets to new/beginners players and it helped them mostly, so it will be good if you can have this opportunity with some.

Good luck!

57134478.jpg

C'mon TareqPhoto please!!! You've been told this before! Not only once!

Dude are you being serious here o.o

.....a few months back you were looking for recommendations and now youre making them already?

"From your list it sounds you want to go with Carbon [ALC/ZLC] blades, if not then why not look at all wood blades"
No shit sherlock, of course im looking for carbon blades. Why would you even think im looking for woods?

You really need to stop reading stuff on the forum and going around preaching the stuff you read without having actual knowledge on all these equipment.

Tenergy and MX-P are definitely Not Beginner Rubbers, smartboy!

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
View attachment 11374

C'mon TareqPhoto please!!! You've been told this before! Not only once!

Tenergy and MX-P are definitely Not Beginner Rubbers, smartboy!

Thanks Suga D.

The beginner who follows Tareq's advice will be in for a long slog. And look at the story. To save money on equipment Tareq wanted to buy the advanced equipment first to save money by not having to buy a beginner's blade first and then get a more advanced blade when he was an expert. So, to save money, he bought 10 blades including really expensive ones like Mizutani, Primorac Ex, Hurricane Hao III, Carbonado. Just those 4 blades there is about $700.00. So, good job saving money and thinking about the long run.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Would you guys mind linking me to the direct place of purchase (with the best price)?

I've looked at paddle palace and amazon and thought they were priced on the higher end.

I was looking at the ones recommended:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...-Loop-King-Table-Tennis-Blade/1157572780.html

https://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=yas-sweden

Also, what do OFF+- ATK+- mean? And Spin Speed Control?

And how would you guys rank these for someone who's trying to develop into an offensive player:

Stiga Allround Evolution
Stiga Allround Classic
Stiga Offensive Classic
Yasaka Sweden Classic
Yinhe W6
Stiga All Around Classic

Also feel free to direct me to the right place if there's a FAQ or comprehensive thread that might answer my questions...I am sure you guys have answered these in one shape or form. So I really don't want to spam you guys lol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Thanks Suga D.

The beginner who follows Tareq's advice will be in for a long slog. And look at the story. To save money on equipment Tareq wanted to buy the advanced equipment first to save money by not having to buy a beginner's blade first and then get a more advanced blade when he was an expert. So, to save money, he bought 10 blades including really expensive ones like Mizutani, Primorac Ex, Hurricane Hao III, Carbonado. Just those 4 blades there is about $700.00. So, good job saving money and thinking about the long run.

Hahahaaa, good one.
Maybe we're just not smart enough to follow his kind of Logic.
[Emoji6]

Would you guys mind linking me to the direct place of purchase (with the best price)?

I've looked at paddle palace and amazon and thought they were priced on the higher end.

I was looking at the ones recommended:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...-Loop-King-Table-Tennis-Blade/1157572780.html

https://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=yas-sweden

And how would you guys rank these for someone who's trying to develop into an offensive player:

Stiga Allround Evolution
Stiga Allround Classic
Stiga Offensive Classic
Yasaka Sweden Classic
Yinhe W6
Stiga All Around Classic

Also feel free to direct me to the right place if there's a FAQ or comprehensive thread that might answer my questions...I am sure you guys have answered these in one shape or form. So I really don't want to spam you guys lol

Generally blades are rated in the following categories, like speed, control, spin-ability, some might also rate the dwell time.
Most of the times faster blades with high speed ratings are much harder to control than slower blades.
Whereas i think the spin-ability and the dwell time go hand in hand, 'cause a longer dwell time allows to put more spin on the ball, 'cause you have more time to spin it.

I think forum members from the states will be able to help you better on where to buy than me, but as Kelpo already mentioned:
I only hear good things about Colestt, so maybe contacting Cole should be the solution...
[Emoji2]

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boogar and Jirrex
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
"OFF+" means Offensive+Meaning very fast blade
"OFF" means Offensive which is not as fast as OFF+ but still very fast
"OFF-" - slower then OFF :)
ALL means "allround" (+,- etc). Mostly this type of blades is good for beginners. You have ok speed, great control - just what you need when learning elements in table tennis.
DEF is a category of "Defensive" blades. These are slower, sometimes have a bigger head and are more often used by defenders. These blades are good but only when you learn some more elements and start to have your own game plan and decide that you are a defender :)

Reactions: BeGo and Suga D
This user has no status.
i personally would reccomend either depending on budget ANY OFF/OFF-/ALL+ blade and softish cheaper china rubbers for discount value (as EVERYONE probably knows i'll reccomend 729fx and 729 super soft but really there are hundreds that will work), look at local online retailers, a good start is stiga offensive or all round classic or a yinhe etc. OR if you have a bit of cash i'd go with Sriver L or Yasaka mark V and a stiga infinity vps, i when as a begginer used a timo boll ALL+ with 729 both sides, it was awesome and cheap but the second set up is probably better as you can keep the blade much longer if you like.