5 ply all-wood Off/Off+ suggestions

Hi All,

Been trying to figure out the latest 5 ply all wood blades (off/off+) category for a while now and so far came up with the following: DHS Hurricane WL, Nittaku Ma Long 5, Nittaku Acoustic. Can anyone add to this list, i am preferably looking for blades that are designed for the poly ball.

As far as playing style is concerned i am a 'close to the table' looper primarily from the forehand side. From backhand i mainly do counter/punch blocks etc but not much else.

Thank you

eternity is either colored limba or walnut with spruce and ayous. emerald is ebony - spruce - ayous. emerald still is harder but for unknown reasons, eternity seem to be faster and i like the good feel. i prefer the ebenholz v compared to the emerald.

Thanks, i intend to purchase the Eternity VPS V. Any recommendations on the rubbers to try out on this blade, currently i used T05 and T64 fx.

eternity is either colored limba or walnut with spruce and ayous. emerald is ebony - spruce - ayous. emerald still is harder but for unknown reasons, eternity seem to be faster and i like the good feel. i prefer the ebenholz v compared to the emerald.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Sorry, but 5 ply, all wood, Off+ sounds like an oxymoron to me. You can have a 5 ply all wood blade that is All, All+, Off- and even Off, but Off+, not really. I know a Mazinov says Off+ on it but that is an old speed rating from the 1980s-1990s. That is not really the speed rating of a Mazinov. It is an Off blade. Even 7mm thick 7 ply blades like a Clipper are really just Off rated. You could have a 7mm 7 ply Hinoki blade that is close to Off+ like a Darker 7P-2A.7T. But Hinoki is an exception in woods for TT. And it is still not a 5 ply. And that blade is still, in my opinion just short of Off+.

But here are some great all wood 5 ply blades:

1) Virtuoso Off-
2) Virtuoso Plus
3) Nittaku Acoustic
4) Nittaku Violin
5) Nittaku Tenor
6) Stiga Allround Evolution
7) Stiga Rosewood V NCT
8) Stiga Rosewood XO
9) Stiga Ebenholz V NCT
10) Stiga Offensive Classic
11) Tibhar Stratus Power Wood
12) Xiom Offensive S
13) Yasaka Sweden Extra
14) Butterfly Primorac Off-
15) Butterfly Petr Korbel
16) Stiga Tube Offensive
17) Stiga Tube Allround
18) Butterfly Jonyer H
19) Tibhar Drinkhall Allround Classic
20) Tibhar Drinkall Offensive Classic
21) DHS Hurricane King
22) Yinhe Galaxy 896
23) Yinhe Galaxy W6
24) Avalox P500
25) Avalox BT 550
26) Avalox BT 555

There are really a lot more. But there are a few. :)

By the way, DHS speed rates the Hurricane King at Off++. Really, it is an Off- blade. It is a great blade, but it is an Off- blade.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks, i intend to purchase the Eternity VPS V. Any recommendations on the rubbers to try out on this blade, currently i used T05 and T64 fx.

Quick question. If you have the Nittaku Ma Long 5 and like it, why get the Eternity?

Reactions: Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am looking for a blade with a bit more stiffness, perhaps Eternity will do the trick. If not i can always go back to the Hurricane WL. Just keeping all options open.

2 more questions.

1) Why stiffness? Flex is better for spin in looping and flex is better for control. Stiffer is better for hitting flat.

2) Why not a 7 ply like a Stiga Clipper? 7 ply blades are usually stiffer than 5 play blades as a result of the extra 2 plies.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I guess you should try yasaka ma lin extra offensive. I don't know why anyone didn't suggest this, and also carl didn't mention it in his list.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

The hardness of this blade makes it a much better blade for penhold than shakehand. But it is a blade for fairly advanced players with a high degree of precision as a result of the hardness of the top ply which make control a challenge and limit the dwell time.

But, based on his answer to my question, it may be the type of blade he would like. It may or may not be what will help his game most. But it may be what he wants.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
Well, looks like my next blade will be a handcrafted beauty by OSP. I have been looking for a 5ply "max feel" blade, since I am really not lacking speed with my current setup. Thanks so much you guys for bringing them to my attention. And they're not even that expensive! Currently the shop on their website however doesn't seem to be working for me. Does anyone have the same issue?

Thank you
Hi.
5-ply OFF or OFF+ blades are a weird concept for me. But aswering the question:
Tibhar Stratus Power Wood (great blade!), Stiga Rosewood V, Rosewood XO, Ebenholz V, Xiom Offensive S and Mazunov (not made for poly ball, but a OFF 5-ply blade).