Pips in V/S pips out

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am going to try and keep this on as positive a level as possible. I have nothing against anyone personally and I just want to say this for the record:

Mr RicharD,

Since you joined, I have found a great number of your posts on this forum top notch. I think you are obviously a person who has a passion for table tennis. I appreciate much of what you have to say on many subjects. There are two areas where I think what you say does not seem to fit. The first is that most of what you seem to have to say about pips players sounds to me like it comes from someone who does not understand how pips work and who does not like pips. The second area is that it sounds like you are trying to present yourself as a high level player. Who cares what level you are? Nobody, really. It doesn't come up unless you have brought up the subject as part of why you "know" so much. Nobody knows everything. We all, even the most knowledgeable on the subject of Table Tennis, have areas of expertise and areas where we do not really know the information. Level has nothing to do with it. I know many players whose level is low who have a great ability to see certain details and give good, helpful information. I also know plenty of players who have great strokes and really solid fundamentals but do not have great game skills or tournament skills and there USATT rating might be under 1000. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I know people who play great in matches in practice and then when they play tournaments they get nervous and tight and do not play well. There is also nothing wrong with that. But if that is the case that is the level that they are at. The USATT rating is what it is. I also know a few players who, if you ask them their rating and they don't know you, they usually say 1900. Then if they know you and know you know what time of day it is, they might say, "I am 1550 but I beat a lot of 1900 and 2000 level players." I have one friend who says things like this and then I see him play pips players and he has no idea what to do against them. That is why he cannot get his rating up and that is why he really is 1550 and not 1900. You have to be able to beat over 90% of the players under 1875 to be 1900. That is how the rating system ends up working. When you get to that level, and you earn that rating through playing lots of players with strange and unique styles and you can adjust to their style and play them and take the match in the tournament, your level goes up. But there is nothing wrong with being a player who is passionate about Table Tennis who has a lot of knowledge and many skills but has trouble taking matches in tournaments against players who are rated in the 1300 range but have an unfamiliar style.

Someone somewhere in a post I saw recently said that players in the US tend to get to a 1600-1800 level and then don't progress or don't continue. He noted that 1600-1800 is not really a very high level. I would agree with both statements. When players start getting to be really solid fundamentally on all levels is somewhere between 2000 and 2300. I will keep trying to improve and who knows, perhaps one day I will be able to get there.

Hey Carl that's cool that you posted that. Why not come down and play me?

I work 7 days a week, some days I have a light schedule, but, having a wife and daughter, and trying to keep up with the bills, would make a trip to Pennsylvania for Table Tennis a little irresponsible on my part. But here is an invitation. If you want to come up to NYC, we can hang out, I can show you some of the spots to play in this city and we can play some matches too. You can PM me if you want to come up, and we can sort out details of contacting, getting together and having some fun, getting to know each other and playing the best sport in the world.

We can judge whether I'm 1800 from that.

Playing matches outside of a USATT tournament will never get you to be 1800. It might help improve your skills so that you can eventually earn that rating through the system that is in place, but no amount of matches will get you an 1800 rating unless they are played in a sanctioned tournament. And through good solid work, a good player can get their rating up to that level if they have the skills. When you get there you earn that rating through your play in matches in the tournaments. The rest is talk. There is a value to that system.

Yes I had some trouble because frankly I've never played these players before. ... Sherwood and Rafael are from another club and I've never played them before. I had trouble with a lot of their dead ball chops hitting long over the table.

I don't think it is a problem to have lost to any of the players you lost to, that is the reality of tournaments. However, a player who is actually legitimately somewhere between 1800-2000 would never lose to a 1300 level player because the player was unfamiliar to him. That is part of what earning the rating means. You would not lose to a player just because you did not know his style. You certainly would not lose to him 2x in one tournament. A true 1800 level player would adjust to dead balls in in 2 or 3 points at most. But lets say it took half of the first game. If you are rated 500-700 points higher than another player, after the first half of the first game it should be like playing with a small child. And truthfully, it should not even take that, because, if you haven't seen him, he hasn't seen you. He is in the same boat. Therefore the higher level player should have the clear advantage right from the first point.

Again, I do not think it matters what someone's rating is, and I do think it is okay to be someone who has trouble adjusting to new players and new serves and different tactics. But if you have trouble adjusting to dead balls, it says a lot. And if you need to be playing players whose style you know, to have a chance at winning, you have earned the rating you have earned. That is how it is.

Snyder was another I hadn't played before and he also had some very awkward technique that I didn't understand.

An 1800 level player can lose to a player who is just under 1600. It should not happen very often but it can happen once in a while. But again, if his style was new to you, your style should have been new to him as well so you are both in the same boat and, a higher level player should have a clear advantage there. The only point I would make with this is that a player who really, actually belongs in the 1800 category should be able to take care of a player who is 1590 99% of the time. Again, there is nothing wrong with being at what ever level you are at. I know you have the mindset of wanting to improve your skills so I respect that. But a player who is rated 1066 who really should be rated 1800, his rating would go up drastically in every tournament he entered until it hit an accurate rating. A player who is rated 1066 who should be rated 1290 might raise their level much more slowly. There is no shame in that and there are any number of reasons why that progress might be slow. But no shame in any of them. A player who has trouble reading spin and dead balls from pips players might also have trouble reading serves. Once he knows those serves from that player, he might play great. But that would be a reason why one player who has 2000 level looping skills and 900 level return of serve skills and 1000 level pips playing skills might stay rated at 1200 for a long long time. Until the weaknesses are sured up, the level will not go up. But that just gives us things to work on. So as long as the idea is improving skills is part of your mindset, this is a positive issue . There are always things to improve on.

If you want to bash me because I'm just spelling it out that's fine.

I would not bash anyone. But it would be fun to meet you, hang out, get to know you, and see how you play a variety of players.

By the way, don't you need to sustain a rating of above 1600 for a certain period of time to be eligible to get the USATT credentials for coaching in the US?

@ Carl - Not reading spin has nothing to do with technique.

What the WHAT! :) And my guess is that, herein lies the problem. :cool:

Now I want to say something about pips. Because this, I think is worthwhile info. I have a friend who is a pips player who is rated 2200. He can play any way he wants, but he chooses shakehand pips. He can play smooth on both sides, he can play penhold, long pips, short pips anything, lefty too. :) When he plays with smooth on both sides his level is not very different than when he uses the long pips/smooth setup. The long pips setup is just what he likes best. When he hits with me, sometimes he does this thing, so that I can learn to read the spin better. I loop and he chops and this is what he does. While my shot is coming at him he will say one of three things: Dead, Light or Heavy. When he says dead, he is going to chop and the ball will come back dead, no spin. When he says light, he will chop and the ball will come back with light underspin. When he says heavy, the ball will come back with heavy underspin, and I mean heavy. He is doing it so I can learn to see the difference in the contact and in the trajectory of the ball from the spin. The stroke is the same. The contact is different and he can control and vary the spin to an amazing degree. There is real subtlety to this and there is real skill. You can do a lot of things with pips. And for playing against pips, the most important thing is to keep paying attention and learn to tell what spin is coming at you.

As far as there being no system for pips, I would not know. That is not my area of knowledge but it seems that there are basic strokes for chopping just like there are basic strokes for loops. There are also basic techniques for blocking. And as far as there being a set system for topspin game, my experience is that this is not so accurate. There are basic strokes and then there are differences. The Chinese loop is different from the European loop. Ma Long's loop is different than Wang Hao's or Zhang Jike's loop. Timo Boll's loop is different from Vladimir Samsonov's loop. And every coach in NY that I know of teaches slightly differently. :) Viva la differance.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Well obviously I wouldn't like it if someone said that, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion ;) But also u have to agree that on a lower level it would be relatively easy to make points with pips. But I guess u are above that level and u know how to use ur pips, that is a different situation. It is also the reason why I believe new players should start with inverted on both sides. Not because pips are bad, but to prevent the situation where 80+% of the players use pips.

So the statement that pips require no skill is obviously not true if you look at a decent level of play. But on a low level you can win matches with it that you would have lost otherwise, without even knowing what your pips do :p And that is why I think we should keep lower level players from using pips, which seems to happen in the area Mr.RicharD lives in. So he might have spoken of pips players in general where his statement only applies to a certain group of pips players.

Personally I like to play against pips players, because against most of them you can execute a pretty straight-forward strategy. It then really comes down to your ability to serve, run and loop to beat them. :)

Well, I agree with you that beginning players should learn to use both inverted. Once they've learned the basics with those, you can then see what they like to do with the inverted, when they hit the ball and what style they like.

But when they're starting playing competition, they should be equipped with pips. At least that's what I did. It didn't hurt me, in contrary.
You can debate about beginning competition players using pips: yes or no. If choosing 'yes', they'll probably pass lower levels quite quickly, but only if and only if they are talented as pip players. Only those will reach the intermediate and higher levels. It is also a good shifting technique for inverted players: it will shift those who don't think while playing.
If you choose "no" and let us say you oblige people to use only inverted until a certain level (i.e. intermediate), then it will (1) take a while for an inverted player to convert to pips (taking in account technique differences, tactical differences and "used muscles" differences), (2) some will not succeed in that conversion and (3) some will not even reach those intermediate levels using inverted (because they are a lot more talented with pips than inverted).

Maybe it is the fault of the good pip players letting "not talented for pip play and/or for any kind of play" players use pips and maybe it is fault of inverted players to assign almost magical characteristics to pips that attract those kind of players.

This user has no status.
Hey Carl that's cool that you posted that. Why not come down and play me? We can judge whether I'm 1800 from that. Yes I had some trouble because frankly I've never played these players before. With Brian he's a friend of mine and I played him Penhold where he took one off of me. Sherwood and Rafael are from another club and I've never played them before. I had trouble with a lot of their dead ball chops hitting long over the table.

Snyder was another I hadn't played before and he also had some very awkward technique that I didn't understand. Now granted I play the 1800+ leveled players at our clubs every week. I know how to beat them from experience. I have used pips for a few weeks where I did beat a 2200 rated player in a match. I've also beaten players above 2000 that are severely under rated in my opinion because they refuse to go out to tournaments.

All of the players at our local clubs excluding mine are in their late 20's to early 40's. Many have played for decades and so on.

If you want to bash me because I'm just spelling it out that's fine. Play me and we can settle that argument later.

I find it very strange how you determine your own level of play. If you lose to someone (below your perceived level of play), your excuse is that you don't know him/his style. If you win from someone (above your perceived level of play), then it is your own effort and not the long experience you've had with playing this guy. You get your level of play by playing guys in a certain rating system, whether they are known or not. Period.

As for the pips question from Lorre, by definition no I don't believe that there is technique involved because frankly there isn't any set system. I don't believe that each and every technique used by all the different players out there provides a set technique that should be involved when hitting. With inverted there are systems in place and yes players deviate from them, but the majority do use proper technique. For LP I believe Joo's technique is currently the best and a system should be put in place to train as he does.

So pip players have no technique, but Joo (a pip player) has technique? So if it is inherent to a pip player that he has no technique, how on earth can Joo have any technique? Or, if Joo is your only exception, how on earth can Chen have any technique?

As for the skill question. By definition where the ability to become better through training I don't believe that many long pips players have less skill than the inverted. I believe that many do have skill with their training in place such as great clubs or proper schools, but as a majority I believe that more than half of the long pips players out there don't train their long pips because they rely on simply blocking the ball back. Short pips players could be devised as a majority involved in training, but I believe that they rely less on technique because the short pips allow them to hit certain balls that would require a completely different technique when using inverted.

I'm going to be stepping out of this discussion because it seems that many are more concerned with pointing out my own flaws rather than the facts at hand. Statistically speaking pips players are lazier, require less technique when training, and are a majority of the time playing at a level that they would otherwise not be able to without the pips. I think it's an advantage from my own personal experiences and I believe that it does slow the growth of the sport when there are overwhelming percentages of players in the area. I've used pips before and I didn't enjoy using them because of how inflated my "rank" would have been. Rather than play deceptively based on equipment I strive for improving technique and footwork.

Then show me the statistics.

Getting out of the discussion is the worst thing you can do: those who retreat, are always wrong (a saying in our region).

You're entitled to have your opinion. But that opinion is based on certain perceived facts. I've replied that most of your perceived facts are simply wrong. This comes from an experienced pip player (i.e. me). Remember the story of the virus and the doctor in one of my previous posts. Why not adjust your opinion then?
I don't read anything about my proposed school in your reply. Why not? If it is a possible solution to your problem, why not talk about it?

I find this kind of cognitive inertia sad, because it is this kind of mentality that causes a lot of harm to a lot of people.:( Talk about it, perceive the world taking the other's perspective and adjust consequently (I've did that: I could bombard you with all kinds of insults, but I've understood your problem - I couldn't do that without taking your perspective). It is only then that we can meet each other in our world of view.

If I had said anything below the belt for that I apologize, but as a generalized statement not directed at anyone it was statistically correct. I'm not one to bash on anyone, but I will point out the facts. So have at it fellas.

Thx: apologies accepted.:)

This user has no status.
I did talk about the theory of spin right, oh yea, just dont under estimate this thing. Even my friend who good at basketball, badminton, he did tell me that he never able to understand all this spin stuff at all when I messing with him. And even for those non-beginner player, some time they would just not able to understand why they keep missing the drive/loop from a simple serve.

Spot on.:)

This user has no status.
hahahahha!!

I think Richard didn't mean to hurt anyone's feeling. They are just his thoughts guys. That's the whole point of joining a forum, to discuss. It's nothing personal. So come on guys, move along. ;) Let's be a lil more constructive...

I agree: don't get personal by e.g. linking a facebook page.

That does not solve anything. For me, however, the point of a discussion is to understand each other: I don't have the feeling RicharD does that/wants to do that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
I agree: don't get personal by e.g. linking a facebook page.

That does not solve anything. For me, however, the point of a discussion is to understand each other: I don't have the feeling RicharD does that/wants to do that.

If its him I want to add him :)
Like sir Carl said, I think we are cool bunch of ppl rite ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
If its him I want to add him :)
Like sir Carl said, I think we are cool bunch of ppl rite ?

Yes we are haha.

And I agree with ur reaction on my post Lorre. It is a bit of a gray area though. Like: there's nothing wrong with playing pips, but pips vs. pips often is a boring match (like defender vs. defender) and you dont want that either. So it's indeed best we just let everyone choose to their own preferences and see what happens :p

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yes we are haha.

And I agree with ur reaction on my post Lorre. It is a bit of a gray area though. Like: there's nothing wrong with playing pips, but pips vs. pips often is a boring match (like defender vs. defender) and you dont want that either. So it's indeed best we just let everyone choose to their own preferences and see what happens :p

It is true that you can have a pips v pips match that is boring but, I have also seen some pretty good pips v pips matches.

But I don't think this was being presented until you brought it up Wiwa. It was a good observation on your part. If there really is 80% + pips players in Mr RicharD's area this would come up a lot. But I honestly doubt that there is, because if there was, he might know how to play pips players better and he might therefore be happy to play pips players since they are actually fun to play when you know how the pips work. And also, he might have brought up this issue of pips v pips play as a problem but he did not. He jumped on it for a second when you mentioned it though. But, to me, that looked more like he was trying to use it as support for his arguments about pips players being able to beat players they should not be able to beat.

I think most of the discussion before that, that people were responding to was that, it was being presented that pips take no skill to play with and pips players have no technique and that they somehow, because of equipment rather than anything they are doing, are able to beat much higher rated players. And I also believe this was being presented by a player who probably has trouble playing against pips since, several times he said that pips do nothing but create dead balls, which to me means, he does not know how they work. Mr RicharD never presented the issue of being bored by watching matches where pips players are playing pips players until you mentioned it. He was saying that with pips you can have no skill and no technique and beat higher rated inverted players. That is really all that he seemed to be concerned with. So my assumption was that he was saying, that he loses to pips players who he thinks he is better than. And hence, his suggestion of a league with only smooth rubber players. :)

Also, I saw, in another post, in another thread, someone asked him about his rating and his answer was that he was trying to get his rating up but was having trouble because of the amount of pips players in the tournaments in his area. However, in this thread he said he has no trouble playing against pips players. So I think Mr RicharD might be trying to blame his loses on the equipment of his opponents rather than learning how to play against pips players and other kinds of specialty equipment.

Learning how to play against pips players is the real answer to having pips players in your area. If you know how to take care of them, their equipment is no longer an issue. Then, when you are up against a player who you are better than, you usually win, and when you are up against a player who is better than you sometimes you can play well and take a match but you will probably lose much of the time. And if you lose against a player consistently, then they are probably better than you in some way. But there is no harm in that and you know that it is not the equipment they are using. That is a poor excuse will only keep a player from learning and improving.

I do know some players who, when they win, it is always something that they did well, and when they lose there are always excuses. It is okay to say that the other player did well. When you lose, it can show you parts of your game that need work if you are open to that information. But if you make excuses and don't look at why you cannot handle certain kinds of players you can stagnate your own progress in the sport.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Well logically thinking, if there're a lot of players playing pips in my area, I would be the pips master! hahaha I would be so good playing against pips that they have nothing on me..hehehe

That makes me thinking good sir.
Human could strive for their vast ability to learn and adapt to survive in whatever condition presented.
If there are lots of 'pips predator' in an area, one should learn and adapt to 'survive'.
Continuous difficulty in 'surviving' could only mean one thing.. Inadaptability and laziness to learn..

This user has no status.
That makes me thinking good sir.
Human could strive for their vast ability to learn and adapt to survive in whatever condition presented.
If there are lots of 'pips predator' in an area, one should learn and adapt to 'survive'.
Continuous difficulty in 'surviving' could only mean one thing.. Inadaptability and laziness to learn..

Or how a table tennis discussion can turn into a filosophical darwinistic discussion...:cool:

says http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=100002098293963
says http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=100002098293963
Sep 2011
Pips or Pips in TT is great game one can play life time

Mr RicharD,
Dear friend

I read your views and was happy to here all players are interested in this topic pips in or pips out
it is power of TT that where a player has to put more effort in facing long pips and and short pips and needs to be care full.
Now it is clear we have all have to work hard to promote this game(TT) in big way and learn by our mistakes.

Now I have simple suggestion if have pips opponent we have to play opposite if you want to hit shot we should do a simple serve and with speed so that opponent is confused to use his pips he will put the ball to net or give it high so that you can smash if the speed is reduced by the opponent still you can place.

Never give back spin you will not be able to hit topspin if you give topspin you will get a back spin so that you can hit a top spin.
Pl try this when you practise and let me know if Iam right if I am wrong I still feel that I have learn t little more which will add my knowledge of TT.
I thank you for discussing my topic .
:)

I am going to try and keep this on as positive a level as possible. I have nothing against anyone personally and I just want to say this for the record:

Mr RicharD,

Since you joined, I have found a great number of your posts on this forum top notch. I think you are obviously a person who has a passion for table tennis. I appreciate much of what you have to say on many subjects. There are two areas where I think what you say does not seem to fit. The first is that most of what you seem to have to say about pips players sounds to me like it comes from someone who does not understand how pips work and who does not like pips. The second area is that it sounds like you are trying to present yourself as a high level player. Who cares what level you are? Nobody, really. It doesn't come up unless you have brought up the subject as part of why you "know" so much. Nobody knows everything. We all, even the most knowledgeable on the subject of Table Tennis, have areas of expertise and areas where we do not really know the information. Level has nothing to do with it. I know many players whose level is low who have a great ability to see certain details and give good, helpful information. I also know plenty of players who have great strokes and really solid fundamentals but do not have great game skills or tournament skills and there USATT rating might be under 1000. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I know people who play great in matches in practice and then when they play tournaments they get nervous and tight and do not play well. There is also nothing wrong with that. But if that is the case that is the level that they are at. The USATT rating is what it is. I also know a few players who, if you ask them their rating and they don't know you, they usually say 1900. Then if they know you and know you know what time of day it is, they might say, "I am 1550 but I beat a lot of 1900 and 2000 level players." I have one friend who says things like this and then I see him play pips players and he has no idea what to do against them. That is why he cannot get his rating up and that is why he really is 1550 and not 1900. You have to be able to beat over 90% of the players under 1875 to be 1900. That is how the rating system ends up working. When you get to that level, and you earn that rating through playing lots of players with strange and unique styles and you can adjust to their style and play them and take the match in the tournament, your level goes up. But there is nothing wrong with being a player who is passionate about Table Tennis who has a lot of knowledge and many skills but has trouble taking matches in tournaments against players who are rated in the 1300 range but have an unfamiliar style.

Someone somewhere in a post I saw recently said that players in the US tend to get to a 1600-1800 level and then don't progress or don't continue. He noted that 1600-1800 is not really a very high level. I would agree with both statements. When players start getting to be really solid fundamentally on all levels is somewhere between 2000 and 2300. I will keep trying to improve and who knows, perhaps one day I will be able to get there.

I work 7 days a week, some days I have a light schedule, but, having a wife and daughter, and trying to keep up with the bills, would make a trip to Pennsylvania for Table Tennis a little irresponsible on my part. But here is an invitation. If you want to come up to NYC, we can hang out, I can show you some of the spots to play in this city and we can play some matches too. You can PM me if you want to come up, and we can sort out details of contacting, getting together and having some fun, getting to know each other and playing the best sport in the world.

Playing matches outside of a USATT tournament will never get you to be 1800. It might help improve your skills so that you can eventually earn that rating through the system that is in place, but no amount of matches will get you an 1800 rating unless they are played in a sanctioned tournament. And through good solid work, a good player can get their rating up to that level if they have the skills. When you get there you earn that rating through your play in matches in the tournaments. The rest is talk. There is a value to that system.

I don't think it is a problem to have lost to any of the players you lost to, that is the reality of tournaments. However, a player who is actually legitimately somewhere between 1800-2000 would never lose to a 1300 level player because the player was unfamiliar to him. That is part of what earning the rating means. You would not lose to a player just because you did not know his style. You certainly would not lose to him 2x in one tournament. A true 1800 level player would adjust to dead balls in in 2 or 3 points at most. But lets say it took half of the first game. If you are rated 500-700 points higher than another player, after the first half of the first game it should be like playing with a small child. And truthfully, it should not even take that, because, if you haven't seen him, he hasn't seen you. He is in the same boat. Therefore the higher level player should have the clear advantage right from the first point.

Again, I do not think it matters what someone's rating is, and I do think it is okay to be someone who has trouble adjusting to new players and new serves and different tactics. But if you have trouble adjusting to dead balls, it says a lot. And if you need to be playing players whose style you know, to have a chance at winning, you have earned the rating you have earned. That is how it is.

An 1800 level player can lose to a player who is just under 1600. It should not happen very often but it can happen once in a while. But again, if his style was new to you, your style should have been new to him as well so you are both in the same boat and, a higher level player should have a clear advantage there. The only point I would make with this is that a player who really, actually belongs in the 1800 category should be able to take care of a player who is 1590 99% of the time. Again, there is nothing wrong with being at what ever level you are at. I know you have the mindset of wanting to improve your skills so I respect that. But a player who is rated 1066 who really should be rated 1800, his rating would go up drastically in every tournament he entered until it hit an accurate rating. A player who is rated 1066 who should be rated 1290 might raise their level much more slowly. There is no shame in that and there are any number of reasons why that progress might be slow. But no shame in any of them. A player who has trouble reading spin and dead balls from pips players might also have trouble reading serves. Once he knows those serves from that player, he might play great. But that would be a reason why one player who has 2000 level looping skills and 900 level return of serve skills and 1000 level pips playing skills might stay rated at 1200 for a long long time. Until the weaknesses are sured up, the level will not go up. But that just gives us things to work on. So as long as the idea is improving skills is part of your mindset, this is a positive issue . There are always things to improve on.

I would not bash anyone. But it would be fun to meet you, hang out, get to know you, and see how you play a variety of players.

By the way, don't you need to sustain a rating of above 1600 for a certain period of time to be eligible to get the USATT credentials for coaching in the US?

What the WHAT! :) And my guess is that, herein lies the problem. :cool:

Now I want to say something about pips. Because this, I think is worthwhile info. I have a friend who is a pips player who is rated 2200. He can play any way he wants, but he chooses shakehand pips. He can play smooth on both sides, he can play penhold, long pips, short pips anything, lefty too. :) When he plays with smooth on both sides his level is not very different than when he uses the long pips/smooth setup. The long pips setup is just what he likes best. When he hits with me, sometimes he does this thing, so that I can learn to read the spin better. I loop and he chops and this is what he does. While my shot is coming at him he will say one of three things: Dead, Light or Heavy. When he says dead, he is going to chop and the ball will come back dead, no spin. When he says light, he will chop and the ball will come back with light underspin. When he says heavy, the ball will come back with heavy underspin, and I mean heavy. He is doing it so I can learn to see the difference in the contact and in the trajectory of the ball from the spin. The stroke is the same. The contact is different and he can control and vary the spin to an amazing degree. There is real subtlety to this and there is real skill. You can do a lot of things with pips. And for playing against pips, the most important thing is to keep paying attention and learn to tell what spin is coming at you.

As far as there being no system for pips, I would not know. That is not my area of knowledge but it seems that there are basic strokes for chopping just like there are basic strokes for loops. There are also basic techniques for blocking. And as far as there being a set system for topspin game, my experience is that this is not so accurate. There are basic strokes and then there are differences. The Chinese loop is different from the European loop. Ma Long's loop is different than Wang Hao's or Zhang Jike's loop. Timo Boll's loop is different from Vladimir Samsonov's loop. And every coach in NY that I know of teaches slightly differently. :) Viva la differance.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It was suggested that players should not use pips until they have reached a certain level. As a general statement I agree with the idea that it would valuable for many to learn the basic strokes first with an allround setup so that you could make a more informed decision as to the style of play you want to specialize in after you reach a certain level of proficiency. I would say this is the case for players wanting to be offensive as well. I know plenty of players who when they start, have already decided that they are going to be offensive players before they actually know the strokes. Then they get an Off+ blade and put Tenergy on it and cannot play and never learn how to use their equipment because it is too fast for them. :)

I would also say that, with pips player, you can have pips on one side and continue learning the basic strokes with the smooth side while simultaneously learning how to use the pips and how to twiddle and not get confused or thrown off by switching from smooth to pips. I do have a friend who, when I first met him he was about 1100 and he is a pips player. He was back then as well. He is naturally a defensive player. He likes playing and takes 2 hour lessons 2-4 days a week. Much of what he works on in his lessons is his offensive play, but the two teachers he works with (one is a 2650 level player and the other is a 2500 level player and they are both excellent coaches) know what they are doing. They work on a variety of things with him from looping, to switching from forehand to backhand, to footwork, to serve and receive skills, to switching from offense to defense.

In the time I have known him he has gone from being 1100 to 1850 and his offensive play has changed amazingly.

So, just like I would not want to put and hard fast rules on when a player is allowed to move from an allround setup to an offensive one, I would not want to put any hard fast rules on when a player is allowed to switch to a defensive setup. You can continue learning the strokes with a defensive setup. And I know plenty of offensive players who just swing away and have no idea why half their balls go into the net or off the table and do not progress and learn how to play either. To me that is not really any better than someone who does not know how to play, has pips and just puts the ball back, hoping to get it over the net and hoping the other player will miss. Either type of player is very easy to take care of for anyone with even a little game skills.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
It might also be hard for a pips player to understand what he does with his pips when he hasn't learnt the basics with 2x smooth rubber. When learning with smooth rubber you get to understand what spin your opponent gives you and only then you can start to use pips effectively I think.
Besides that it is good that the names of Gionis the Greek (I won't get his surname right) and Tang Peng have been on this site lately, I don't understand how we forgot to mention them in this discussion haha.