How to play like Timo Boll (and beat the best player in the world)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Hi all

Here is a new blog post I have written about Timo Boll. It’s basically a love-fest for Timo Boll with some tips on how you can play like the great man.

http://www.tabletenniscoach.me.uk/play-like-timo-boll/

But I would be interested to hear from you all also.

• What do you think Timo Boll’s main strengths are?
  • Do you like his playing style?
  • Why is he so popular?

All thoughts welcome!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Great post. I think you're right that Timo's strengths include precision and spin variation. Even if it seems a little tame compared to his competition, he makes his low toss serve work at the highest level mostly (I think) because of amazing precision. To get that level of precision I think he sacrifices a certain amount of heavy, deceptive spin which I'm sure he could generate if he chose to do it. I wonder if that's the best approach for most players whose opponents usually can't handle heavy deceptive spin as well as Timo's opponents. I think it's significantly more difficult to sustain high level precision under match pressure compared to heavy spin and deceptive motion which can cover up many small mistakes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Great post. I think you're right that Timo's strengths include precision and spin variation. Even if it seems a little tame compared to his competition, he makes his low toss serve work at the highest level mostly (I think) because of amazing precision. To get that level of precision I think he sacrifices a certain amount of heavy, deceptive spin which I'm sure he could generate if he chose to do it. I wonder if that's the best approach for most players whose opponents usually can't handle heavy deceptive spin as well as Timo's opponents. I think it's significantly more difficult to sustain high level precision under match pressure compared to heavy spin and deceptive motion which can cover up many small mistakes.

Actually, it's the other way round. The low toss serve allows him to deceptively generate spin that people do not expect. The issue is that he is often borderline on legality. Boll has exceptionally fast hand action so it is not something that would work for everyone. But it also makes toss verticality less of an issue.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
The low toss serve allows him to deceptively generate spin that people do not expect.

Yes, but the laws of physics dictate that the same action with a higher toss would generate more spin. Or equivalent spin with an even shorter, more deceptive action. And with greater dynamic range comes more room for spin variation, more deception, and more margin for error.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yes, but the laws of physics dictate that the same action with a higher toss would generate more spin. Or equivalent spin with an even shorter, more deceptive action. And with greater dynamic range comes more room for spin variation, more deception, and more margin for error.

Yes, but in addition to the control issues you have already mentioned, the fact that his toss is not high and his motion is short means that some people will follow your logic and assume his spin is not that high. That is the kind of deception I am talking about. And he is in a unique position to serve that way because of his hand speed.

1) the idea that you think his dynamic range is smaller is weird to me. Maybe for a server with a slower wrist action but I doubt you would be able to tell if Timo gave you backspin or no spin within his range of motion.
2) his action is already incredibly short. Any extra spin from a higher toss is assuming he doesn't get an incredible amount now and that is very unlikely.

It takes learning to serve that way to appreciate what is possible.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Yes, but in addition to the control issues you have already mentioned, the fact that his toss is not high and his motion is short means that some people will follow your logic and assume his spin is not that high. That is the kind of deception I am talking about. And he is in a unique position to serve that way because of his hand speed.

1) the idea that you think his dynamic range is smaller is weird to me. Maybe for a server with a slower wrist action but I doubt you would be able to tell if Timo gave you backspin or no spin within his range of motion.
2) his action is already incredibly short. Any extra spin from a higher toss is assuming he doesn't get an incredible amount now and that is very unlikely.

It takes learning to serve that way to appreciate what is possible.

I'll go out on a limb and agree that Timo's serve could probably fool me. But I doubt Ma Long hasn't noticed that Timo can generate plenty of spin, and I'm skeptical that Timo's hand speed is vastly superior to other top players. Maybe his service action is as short as reasonably possible, but you're arguing with the laws of the physical universe in suggesting that he couldn't generate more spin with a higher toss.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I'll go out on a limb and agree that Timo's serve could probably fool me. But I doubt Ma Long hasn't noticed that Timo can generate plenty of spin, and I'm skeptical that Timo's hand speed is vastly superior to other top players. Maybe his service action is as short as reasonably possible, but you're arguing with the laws of the physical universe in suggesting that he couldn't generate more spin with a higher toss.

I'm not skeptical at all. I've spoken to pros about this first hand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So, with regard to service, is it the opinion of these pros that Boll's hand speed is vastly superior to other top players?

Lol. The answer is with regard to all strokes. His technique is more hand speed dependent on all strokes than other players.

Last edited: