Katsura core properties

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Very limited information around, it seems it has many different names and varieties too. It will be very interesting to see if anyone has used it or are aware of its properties. I've been looking at candlenut as a possible core but again, finding information on it is difficult. Sorry I can't help but I am keen to find out too!

Well, looking on Yasaka Katsura W75 /1 ply Katsura, 8.8mm-100 gr, speed 10/ and Yasaka Hasha Silver W67 /1 ply Cypress, 10mm-90gr, speed 11/, boths ranked mid-hard, it seems like Katsura has some close features with Cypres /Hinoki/, beeing heavier. But on other descriptions regarding wood only, Katsura is mentioned to be hard and stiff, and in other reviews - soft and flexy. Couldn't find wood to wood comparison, especially with Kiri. There are a lot of sites mentioninig Katsura, but in Japanese.

Well, I asked this question because I recently discovered that the core of Xiom Vega Tour /as well as the new Feel ZXIII/ is Katsura. I find the Tour amazingly precize in everything from AR to aggressive OFF at any distance with great feel of the touch. Maybe Xiom have found a not very popular, but very well working compostion formula. So I was curious what's special in this Katsura, or the result is just a matter of composition synergy, or both.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Well, I asked this question because I recently discovered that the core of Xiom Vega Tour /as well as the new Feel ZXIII/ is Katsura. I find the Tour amazingly precize in everything from AR to aggressive OFF at any distance with great feel of the touch. Maybe Xiom have found a not very popular, but very well working compostion formula. So I was curious what's special in this Katsura, or the result is just a matter of composition synergy, or both.

Do you have info on its typical Janka hardness and elastic modulus?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Apparently much of the characteristics depends upon how much time the lumber is permitted to dry. I've read it can be considered soft or hard.

The wood is grown in Japan, where it is difficult to regenerate, and China, where it could be anything. I use to buy herbs from China until lab results revealed what kind of substances were being found in the herbs. Unless Xiom actually puts the claim on its packaging or website then no one knows what's the composition.

Apparently much of the characteristics depends upon how much time the lumber is permitted to dry. I've read it can be considered soft or hard.

The wood is grown in Japan, where it is difficult to regenerate, and China, where it could be anything. I use to buy herbs from China until lab results revealed what kind of substances were being found in the herbs. Unless Xiom actually puts the claim on its packaging or website then no one knows what's the composition.

Yes, on their new-vision website Katsura is mentioned for both Vega Tour and Feel ZXIII.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
I have owned a Yasaka Katsura W75 for a year now. The internet is lack for this blade information for I would like to give my comments of this blade.
I am using Nittaku Fastarc G1 for my forehand with this blade.
Many people compare Katsura wood and hinoki wood. To be honest, I also owned a Nittaku Miyabi Blade also stick G1 for my forehand side and used a year.
For the feeling, Katsura is much stiffer than Miyabi. I could feel using Katsura blade the ball leaves the blade very quickly, ball speed is also very fast. Miyabi has a much softer feeling and touch, ball speed slightly slower.
I enjoy using Katsura for 3rd ball attack, as the serve speed is fast and very easy to push back bad receives.
There main problems of using Katsura is lack of consistency. Katsura is more suitable for short game than looping since the ball leaves the blade too fast.
I heard some blog said that Katsura is for short pips. Using shorts pips can make the blade even faster and hit flatter balls, but I think the forgiveness would be decreased.

I would recommended Katsura for players who like 3rd or 5th ball attack and try to end the game quickly. Katsura is great choice. But you also need to note that Katsura feeling is much harder than Hinoki. Completely different. I suggest you go to Table Tennis shop like the Japan ones to try the feeing of the blade.

Last edited:
Reactions: langel