Good Blade for MX-P

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
This is getting exhausting. Which people told you these things, how many of those blades have they used and are they equipment experts?

Baal has used all those blades and the True Carbon. I have used and tested all those blades as well. If you Google Butterfly Blade Specifications chart, you will get a chart that gives all the blades the same value for reaction (speed) and vibration (flex).

None of these things will make as big a difference to your play as your training with the blade and getting used to it. That's why I said that whether you change blade or not, you will become a better player over time. The key issue here is that your coach is looking for something that you are not doing and rather than talk to him and test blades in your club, you are asking questions that show you are not listening to anyone and just trying to confuse yourself.

Equipment may affect how much you enjoy playing and in some cases it may improve an aspect of your game if the way it behaves is more in line with your intuitions of how to play. But I find that no matter how well lined up these things are, you have to practice both making and missing shots to truly understand your equipment. That's why it becomes easy to adapt to anything as you get better - you learn to make and miss shots with it and use the feedback to refine your shots.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Are all the Butterfly ALC's similar (besides handle)? Cause I've heard so many different things from different people. What's the difference between each one?

Someone may say that the ZJK ALCis faster than a Viscaria for example. First of all, wood is from a living thing and living things are not always physically consistent in density etc. So blades can be similarly constructed but be made of differently dense woods even though the woods are biologically similar. So some blades may weigh less or more or may be harder or softer and play slightly differently. So you can find two Viscarias that play differently. But because they are very similar to ZJK ALC, they will play as differently or as similar to the ZJK ALC.

For this reason, I tell people to be willing to play good money for a blade that they actually played with and liked. Because there is no guarantee that another blade they buy will play the same way.

But the truth is that these blades are far more similar than different. If you kidnapped all the Viscarias in the world and forced players to switch to a Flare ZJK or TBS, other than the handle feeling, most players would not miss much. Of course, does the handle feeling mean a lot to some players? Of course. But is it going to make them much worse players once they adapt? Very unlikely. For most players, the reason they like a blade is that they initially liked it and then have gotten so used to it that they don't want to change.

A top coach (David Zhuang) tells his students to buy an Innerforce ZLC and to play with it for a long time and their muscle memory will adapt to it and the blade will soften over time to fit their feeling. Many players I know have 10 year old blades. The most important thing is to make the blade a reasonable speed and high quality blade.

You have been given a you cannot go wrong list. Stop confusing yourself and just get something on it. Or again speak to your coach. Let him use those blade you at thinking of and let him pick the one he wants you to use. He is a good guy. He can do this easily.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
ok so last night at the club I tried this guy's ovtcharov true carbon. I have brand loyalty issues, does anyone know of any butterfly blades that have similar characteristics to that blade? Maybe with a tiny bit more flex?

Are all the Butterfly ALC's similar (besides handle)? Cause I've heard so many different things from different people. What's the difference between each one?

Okay, I am sorry. This is too funny.

I am thinking of closing the thread but I have a feeling it will only make Lermanator's EJ Virus kick in even further past overdrive.

Is there a remedy for this disease? Aside from a very large wallet?

Isn't the Ovtcharov True Carbon the Viscaria/TB Spirit/TB ALC/ZJK ALC clone that plays closest to those blades?

If you took:

10 OTCs
10 Viscarias
10 TB ALCs
10 TB Spirits
10 ZJK ALCs

And they were all within the weight range of 88-90 grams, all of them, there would be some Viscarias that played more like some of the TB ALCs than like some of the other Viscarias, there would be OTCs that played more like some ZJK ALCs than like some of the OTCs. Should I go on. :)

It is interesting to me though that the coach wants you to get a blade that helps you spin more and you are focused on getting a blade with a Koto top ply instead. :)

Just read NL's posts and see if you can figure out what to do. Nothing else is needed in this thread.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016

Lermanator, what NL & Carl have said throughout this thread gives you all you need to know for choosing a blade.

I'll just add one thing just to be clear. We've listed ALC/Koto specifically since that's what you were focusing on at one point. There are many other Butterfly ALC's that are not koto and are of a different composition as those specific blades we've listed.

If you've set you sights on an ALC/koto, then any of the blades we've listed specifically are going to be very similar to one another and do the job for you. You just need to focus on the handle type and handle size you want since that is the only difference for those, and your preferred blade weight so you can request it with the store. Maybe you have also have a design preference since you talked about brand loyalty...

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
Lermanator, what NL & Carl have said throughout this thread gives you all you need to know for choosing a blade.

I'll just add one thing just to be clear. We've listed ALC/Koto specifically since that's what you were focusing on at one point. There are many other Butterfly ALC's that are not koto and are of a different composition as those specific blades we've listed.

If you've set you sights on an ALC/koto, then any of the blades we've listed specifically are going to be very similar to one another and do the job for you. You just need to focus on the handle type and handle size you want since that is the only difference for those, and your preferred blade weight so you can request it with the store. Maybe you have also have a design preference since you talked about brand loyalty...
k thanks

This user has no status.
MX-P works very well on a Donic Waldner Senso Carbon blade. It is possible to generate VERY high spin and speed. Too fast for a beginner though.

The Waldner Senso Carbon is considered in Europe as one of the iconic blades ( like also for example the Butterfly Primorac Carbon, Stiga Clipper , Butterfly Viscaria ... ).

I really think there are lots of great blades now , but with one of the iconic ones u cant go wrong. Then its mostly building up footwork and technical and tactical skills.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
MX-P works very well on a Donic Waldner Senso Carbon blade. It is possible to generate VERY high spin and speed. Too fast for a beginner though.

The Waldner Senso Carbon is considered in Europe as one of the iconic blades ( like also for example the Butterfly Primorac Carbon, Stiga Clipper , Butterfly Viscaria ... ).

I really think there are lots of great blades now , but with one of the iconic ones u cant go wrong. Then its mostly building up footwork and technical and tactical skills.

I've tried the Waldner with Bluefire and use MX-P. That combo will have a serious kick if you give it some power. It isn't that fast on medium and low power strokes, but when you swing it harder the second gear will kick in and it becomes a cannon.