ITTF set date on new ball

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
The latest news from the Table Tennis World. Taken from a reliable source from the mytt forum, suppliers have been emailed with this notive recording the new ball.

1. The new POLY balls:
The decision taken is that the new POLY balls will be officially used at ITTF events as of 1 July 2013. After this date the ITTF will NOT use celluloid balls, although they will remain legal for a while, until we officially decide the date to stop them (perhaps 2 years later).
ITTF will NOT use celluloid balls, although they will remain legal for a while, until we officially decide the date to stop them (perhaps 2 years later).
them (perhaps 2 years later).
Moreover please be aware that for the period between the 2013 WTTC in Paris and July 2013, the new POLY balls may be used exceptionally, in the case of events starting at the end of June 2013 and/or ending in the beginning of July 2013.

Heres a video that a published in May 2011

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
More and more countries ban the celluloid usage as manufacturing materials, so we had to deal with it. This should just same as what happen to the football word cup last year isn't it, where the ball used in WC is more rounder than ever used.

Actually, I just wondering when the regular consumer can get a hand on this new ball

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
I don't know why is it so big problem for some people as it can't be that much different from the ball that we use at the moment.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
That's also my hope Bro.
This news made me angry last night :(

Another thing I'm curious about is if, instead of perfecting the poly ball, there is a possibility to produce celluloid in a safe way. But I assume they thought of that, probably it is too expensive to change the process for tt balls only. Personally I wouldn't mind if the price would go up for a while, as long as they can keep celluloid lol.

This user has no status.
new ball

They lie ITTF, they used to have a plastic ball ,It did not work!and every body use the celliold ball!! and the countrys their nottry to get rid of celliold balls. if they do this we have to buy new balls,new robots, the manufactaring has to make new manchins to make new ball, make new robots,The new balls bounce differently,The president and staff should be fired in destorying table tennis as we know it.It's a 42mm ball and raise the net too.why do we have to buy a new balls and nets, robots.The president sharara should be fired and staff!!!

Last edited:
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Hey Matt, does this mean you tested the new ball? :) If yes, tell us more.

lol I never saw this reply. No I haven't. I'm interested to know whether I will still be able to give the new ball a good slap tho ;) haha