Switching out of T05...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Okay, thanks for the video. What you do in the video is basically smashing and of course there a carbon blade with fast rubbers is gonna be good.
What we could not see was if you can open up a heavy backspin push of your opponent. Smashing is easy, the blade and rubber does not really play a role there.

The way you played WITH your opponent in the video, not against, has nothing to do how match play works but of course you know that.
The way you would probably play with that blade and rubbers against a stronger player in a match would probably be like that: he serves short and spinny, you push into net or way too high. You serve short, he pushes long with underspin and you hit the net. I have seen it a dozen times, it's super demanding, especially if your opponent knows what he's doing.
Your technical foundation is just not strong enough to play with that equipment, it actually hinders your development a lot and encourages you to smash and not to spin the ball. The blade does not give a lot of feedback and the rubber is super sensitive to spin. MXP or Tenergy does not really matter, those rubbers are only for you if you are a really well developed player without big technical weaknesses, same for the blade.

It's your choice but starting with that setup will lead to bad habits like smashing where you should loop, moving out of the table because you will overshoot etc.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Okay, thanks for the video. What you do in the video is basically smashing and of course there a carbon blade with fast rubbers is gonna be good.
What we could not see was if you can open up a heavy topspin push of your opponent. Smashing is easy, the blade and rubber does not really play a role there.

The way you would probably play with that blade and rubbers against a stronger player in a match would probably be like that: he serves short and spinny, you push into net or way too high. You serve short, he pushes long with underspin and you hit the net. I have seen it a dozen times, it's super demanding, especially if your opponent knows what he's doing.
Your technical foundation is just not strong enough to play with that equipment, it actually hinders your development a lot and encourages you to smash and not to spin the ball. The blade does not give a lot of feedback and the rubber is super sensitive to spin. MXP or Tenergy does not really matter, those rubbers are only for you if you are a really well developed player without big technical weaknesses, same for the blade.

It's your choice but starting with that setup will lead to bad habits like smashing where you should loop, moving out of the table because you will overshoot etc.

Thank you! This is great information! I have considered taking lessons as well but my time is very limited.

The second player I played with is a chopper with a legit hardbat. There were a couple of rallies where you could see me loop his chop, but there wasn't too much video from our practice session.

I will definitely try to go to the club maybe on thursday and get some more footage. Like I said, I've gotten a little better and I haven't been focusing too much on smashing but rather looping and spins. The players at my school are a little more casual, but there are also a handful of players that are pretty good, so it's hard to get quality practice in the technical game. My serves are okay; I'm still lacking foundation on the pendulum/reverse pendulum for heavy spins on serves. I will try to get some videos of that today.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Thank you! This is great information! I have considered taking lessons as well but my time is very limited.
[...]

Not bad at all, considering the amount of time you devoted for it, it's actually pretty good. It's also nice that you have a chopper in your club, playing against choppers is a very good way to learn the topspin game. I watched the last part of the video and I can say, you generally understand the demands of the backspin balls, the question is whether you can play like 5,6,7 of them consistently on the other side? The action at 2:00 gives a lot of information, because you had enough time to play it. I guees you need a little more forward movement here + use more wrist ..... and than again, it's really hard to practice with such a fast setup (TBS + mxp) - trust us, there are easier and more efficent setups for you now.

Last edited: