Oshima Vs Harimoto 4:3

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Sure he can. It's neither the WTTC or the Olympics :) And he's 15, it goes without saying, but he'll continue developing.

This was honestly disappointing in so many ways. Harimoto can't have losses like this if he want to be the world and olympic champion.

This was honestly disappointing in so many ways. Harimoto can't have losses like this if he want to be the world and olympic champion.

I can't say that Hariomoto was disappointing at all.
I know that at the end it doesn't matter, but Harimoto's active in this match is 62 points, Oshima made just 57. The seventh game was very tight, and in the fourth it was Oshima who was disappointing -11:1 for Harimoto.
Harimoto looked like making lot of efforts to keep concentration and seemed overtensed. Though I think that he could win if he was more concentrated at the middle of the seventh game.
And as others said - he is very very young and the future is infront of him, I believe he will develop and proove bettere and better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
How was the game? I feel that he have trouble when he plays players that are better than him in bh bh or left handled players were it is harder to lock them in bh bh.

How was the game? I feel that he have trouble when he plays players that are better than him in bh bh or left handled players were it is harder to lock them in bh bh.

I don't think it was a matter of worse/better FH/BH. Oshima has more experience and stronger nerves, he managed to keep close to the table, Harimoto couldn't find the proper way to push him away and to get himself more confident. Short and nervous play. Still Harimoto won more points in total and though he lost the match, its informative too.

This user has no status.
As someone has pointed out, he actually won more points and thus was the better player in the match, despite not playing his best and Oshima playing very well. So not much to conclude from that in terms of long term insight. He's not yet Ma Long 2015 standard but we knew that already. He's got a lot of development before Tokyo.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Aside from the pressure, Oshima actually came up with a game plan that sealed Harimoto's BH - step-around FH like there's no tomorrow and serves to his deep BH. Harimoto's game feels "hollow" whenever his strongest weapon loses effect. He is aware of it as he mentioned that in a TV program after losing in the same way to WCQ at the YOG.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
So Waldner has never lost a match in his life before?
I can list all the olympic and world champions......lol

I would say this is good for Harimoto
while in success mode, you need these 1 or 2 losses to remind you that we are still human and its either up or out.
Good learning for a young kid
heck, where was I when I was 15....

Reactions: Andyzhao123
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
I wonder how Harimoto copes with the pressure. It must be immense to both prepare for the 2020 olympics and then probably all those sky high expectations that this one guy will take a medal. China on the other hand just picks from a big squad and at any point in time you will always find a couple of guys that will take medals in an event.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I wonder how Harimoto copes with the pressure. It must be immense to both prepare for the 2020 olympics and then probably all those sky high expectations that this one guy will take a medal. China on the other hand just picks from a big squad and at any point in time you will always find a couple of guys that will take medals in an event.

Its not easy
i think the closes Japan had was Fukuhara Ai
and look where she is today - retired early and not really involved in table tennis any more.

The pressure at 15 year old of Ai was probably no where close to Harimoto now.

How many sports do you actually have Cadets taking on fully grown adults?
TT for obvious reasons is not just a physical sport. How can a 15 year old cope psychologically...

mrk

This user has no status.

mrk

This user has no status.
Jul 2017
He is aware of it as he mentioned that in a TV program after losing in the same way to WCQ at the YOG.

And won with a better match plan in the team event against him. He will learn from it and to be honest this match wasn't that important for him because there are no world ranking points and he will get lots of chances to win the nationals in next few years. He is clearly the best japanese player right now based on the world tour and T.League, sometimes the best player don't win the nationals.

Reactions: BlipBlop575
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Table tennis fans whenever any minute thing happens, in no particular order:

% Ma Long gets rest to heal for the first time in ages %
That's it! Ma Long's done!

% Fan Zhendong destroys people with his stupidly strong loops %
Forget Ma Long, Fan Zhendong is the best player ever!

% Fan Zhendong loses a couple of matches %
Dude,
Fan Zhendong is FINISHED!

% Harimoto loses a match %
Oh look, Harimoto's finished too! End of an era!

% Wang Chuqin wins a couple of matches after a year+ of mediocrity %
Wang Chuqin is the next big thing!

Last edited: