Marvellous 12 2019

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Wouldn't it make more sense for CNT to decide the 4 who are picked first, and therefore don't need to play the Marvellous 12?

That way you wouldn't have a potential pick finishing 8th (for example), in the M12, yet still being picked.......

Appreciate it would seriously diminish the quality in the M12 event, but would potentially avoid the controversy of picking someone who didn't do that well (unless it's not particularly controversial)?

Based on history and past precedents, there is a tacit understanding if how the selection process works. I had long debates on mytt about this after Fan Zhendong was dropped in 2016. And I was convinced by the arguments that the people I discussed with presented.

For the Olympic cycle, Ma Long is going to Japan in 2020 as the WTTC champion in 2017. It is really that simple. The simplest way for someone to go to Japan is to win the 2019 WTTC and if they do, they will get the second spot in singles next to Ma Long for China. If Ma Long wins, the spot remains open and who comes second at well as other considerations will play a role. Fan and Xu Xin have pole position as they have attended prior Olympics either ws players or alternates.

For this trials, the organizers have already listed the 5/6 qualifiers who were seeded into the second round
Those are the 5 people who are already picked that you are looking for. The onus is now on anyone not amongst those 5/6 to prove they deserve the spot more than those 5 or 6. Liang Jingkun and Lin Gaoyuan are probably the ones amongst the 5 capable of being displaced (Wang Chuqin is a ZJK replacement and in a sense can consider himself an outsider).

So there really is no controversy. It just isn't written down anywhere for maximum flexibility.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
There is still plenty of time left until the 2020 olympic. I remain skeptical on whether Ma Long will play singles event for China.

We all said similar things about Zhang Jike in 2016...

Basically, if you look at China Olympic selections, the WTTC winners for the past 2 cycles always go unless they are retired.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Can we definitely say it’s game over for Zhang Jike ?

I think it's safe to assume so. Talks of his return have been just that, talks (apart from his brief reappearance on the world tour early last year).

On a side note, the venue (Shenzhen Universiade Sports Centre) for Marvellous 12 and associated WTTC training is all set up – 33 tables and 320 barriers.

Reactions: Atas Newton
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
ZJK’s final stand on the world stage was fierce and he jussed missed emerging victoriously by a hair in Japan, in unfriendly territory. Much respect there.

The followup tournament, with the muddled unilateral withdrawal excused by pointing to a dissatisfactory draw, and accusations of injustice - right or wrong, either way a lesser exit than ZJK deserves. So I’ll pretend this did not happen and remember the Harimoto match instead.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
He decided to retire wttc 2019 and olympics because of mistake of the draw on ittf Tour even though he was in form. So pride is more than wttc? It is better to retire because of pride. Does it make sense?

He has plans to play in 2019 but he didnt have any systematic training so he didnt participate in wttc trial and he hasnt told that he wont try for olympic

Reactions: Atas Newton
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Not dissatisfactory draw. The competition manager, Zena Sim from Singapore, screwed up big time. She failed to follow the procedure and filled the bracket by another draw. ITTF, represented by spokesman Matt Pound, failed to man up and apologize.

Probably all true, but in the end it's was ZJK who chose to walk away. He didn't have to, and could have "manned up", to use that sexist phrase, stepped over the insult/injustice/hurt pride, and showed his greatness by showing up at the table without allowing these shenanigans to mess with his head. To win a tournament, you need to be able to best all opponents that come your path anyway, whether sooner or later.

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018

Well, it's the same concept as the affirmative action.

Pips players are the minority nowadays. It's often considered an inferior style. In China, players who can't make the cut with double inverted often turn to pips on the coach's advice and their fate are sealed as they'll be treated like a 2nd option from here on. It's all thanks to Ito that opinions are starting to shift and changes are brought about.

Sun Mingyang's thought on the "pips quota" and Li Sun explaining the reason behind it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Upon deliberation among the newly minted Chinese coaching group, it was decided that Marvellous 12 will determine two spots instead of just one for the upcoming WTTC 2019. This means that the runner-up will also receive an entry ticket to the Singles event.

Based on recent performances, Chen Meng, Wang Manyu, Fan Zhendong and Liang Jingkun will likely come out on top.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Upon deliberation among the newly minted Chinese coaching group, it was decided that Marvellous 12 will determine two spots instead of just one for the upcoming WTTC 2019. This means that the runner-up will also receive an entry ticket to the Singles event.

Based on recent performances, Chen Meng, Wang Manyu, Fan Zhendong and Liang Jingkun will likely come out on top.

I am skeptical about FZD coming in top two . He has been in terrible form of late !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
I am skeptical about FZD coming in top two . He has been in terrible form of late !

Be that as it may (objectively he has still made it to the QF/SFs so it's really not that bad; pales in comparison only relative to his past performance), he is surely still a prime candidate? My prediction is Liang Jingkun, Fan Zhendong/Xu Xin, Lin Gaoyuan, Wang Chuqin, Fang Bo, Zhao Zihao, Yu Ziyang, Yan An, Zhou Kai, Xu Chenhao, Xue Fei.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Also, it was reported that Vicky Eleftheriade, Competitor Director of ITTF, has been invited (she will actually be in Shenzhen) by the CNT to give pointers on the way Marvellous 12 is run (e.g. referee-ing, logistics, administrative procedures etc.) and act as an arbitrator if need be. The reason for doing so is two-fold: i) to mimic actual competition settings and; ii) to ensure that China's domestic matches are meeting international standards as well.