says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Yes, same thing indeed. I trust that this ended Yu Ziyang's TT career in eternal shame?

More or less. Same for Wen Jia. They never got that many chances to appear on the World Tour.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Well just because Harimoto is ethnically chinese doesn't mean that he would deliberately try to lose on purpose yes that's true. However he was after all raised in Japan and is more tied to culturally and connected in language to the japanese.

Calling and accusing someone of being racist is stupid if someone is just being speculative of the fact that the main language of the umpire in the WD final is mandarin, which could very well be a factor to her decision on that unfair call. It doesn't even come down to the race, it's more a cultural and language heritage that sometimes can make the person skew in the direction of the favourite that they were brought up with.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
On the other topic..
I keep dreaming of - how would the championships look like if Timo wouldnt withdraw..
Imagine.. He would most likely get into the quarters, probably beat An, probably beat Jang, probably beat Falck..
And what a final would that be!
Ma Long vs. Timo Boll - what about that for the World championships final??
Same would be possible in the doubles competition..
I am kind of mad at Timo, to me it was completely careles and unprofessional to get sick in such a huge and important competition!
I think Timo still has NO MEDAL from World Championships, correct me please if I am wrong..
This was his BEST CHANCE achieving one or two..
It makes me sad along with mad how this tournament ended for him..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
On the other topic..
I keep dreaming of - how would the championships look like if Timo wouldnt withdraw..
Imagine.. He would most likely get into the quarters, probably beat An, probably beat Jang, probably beat Falck..
And what a final would that be!
Ma Long vs. Timo Boll - what about that for the World championships final??
Same would be possible in the doubles competition..
I am kind of mad at Timo, to me it was completely careles and unprofessional to get sick in such a huge and important competition!
I think Timo still has NO MEDAL from World Championships, correct me please if I am wrong..

As we all know, Timo once told table tennis is not his life . It is just a part of his life. He is playing because he enjoys playing and competing at highest level. Sometimes he wins, sometimes he loses. If he was as serious as some of the Chinese, I bet he would have ended up with 5 WTTC's gold :)

Jan 2018
You stole that WTTC 2011 Bronze from him.

rRGQ21z.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 2018
As we all know, Timo once told table tennis is not his life . It is just a part of his life. He is playing because he enjoys playing and competing at highest level. Sometimes he wins, sometimes he loses. If he was as serious as some of the Chinese, I bet he would have ended up with 5 WTTC's gold :)

I thought Boll "blamed" it on CNT having exclusive access to National H3 and that they boost the crap out of it with no consequences?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews

He had done whatever he could in table tennis and Table tennis is a great part of his life . Even now that he got older , he still keeps playing So how he didnt take TT serious as chinese .

Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Well, the JNT (Mika Baba) has filed a formal complaint to ITTF and asked that the hawk-eye system be installed for Tokyo 2020.

When interviewed, Hayata was adamant that she did not serve the ball into the net, neither did the trajectory change and believes that even the Chinese players do not think so either because they did not raise their hands at the first instance. (赛后,早田希娜委屈的接受日本媒体的采访时抱怨道:“我发球的时候,明明看到球没有触到网口的白线,球飞行轨迹没有改变,而且中国选手也没有第一时间示意擦网,显然连她们都不认为这是个擦网球。”)

Concurring, Ito further chimed in that the fault definitely lies with the main umpire and nobody believes that it was a let serve. However, they had to let things go because it was pointless to engage in a debate with the umpire. If they had been in the lead for game 5 (i.e. 10-9), things would have been very different. In the end, she blames it on luck, or specifically that luck was not on their side but the Chinese's (另外一位日本选手伊藤美诚也暗示中国队运气好:“这绝对是裁判的误判,所有人都认为这不是擦网球。只可惜我们争辩没有用,如果是我们10-9领先,局势就完全不一样了。中国队获胜是运气好,今天我们没有运气!”).

I think filing a complaint is definitely fair but there is one point which IMO is pretty uncalled for. In the article, one of the points of appeal raised concerns the ethnicity of the umpire. The JNT believes that the Malaysian umpire sided with the CNT because she is ethnically Chinese and owing to her ability to speak Mandarin as well. (日本乒协也已经向国际乒联递交了抗议书,质疑来自马来西亚具有中国血统会说中文的女主裁的公正性,并且呼吁明年奥运会乒乓球比赛引进鹰眼系统.) That is basically essentialism and frankly a little racist.

I know racism and nationalism are not good buzz words, but the point is that the umpire was communicating with the players in Mandarin not English according to Ito. Hope that makes it clear how it comes an issue. If both teams spoke good Chinese, it might have been less of an issue.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Is Ma Long a cheater? I didn't think so.

We have people in this forum that rather see shitty table tennis than having China winning deservedly. We have people in this forum who want to magically remove Chinas dominance to anything but just that. We have people who want this change to be made "for free", without any effort or work by other nations. Success comes with a price, hard damn work. ITTF changed the balls to slow down Chinas dominance, but what did China do? Started working out even harder. That's what winners do. They do not whine, they practice harder than any match situation, for when the match comes it's not that hard. I love Chinese table tennis, and this incident will not change that fact. You sitting here like you know what that pressure is like? Ridiculous!

No, the cheaters won. Let's make it clear and be honest.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
We can argue about whether its racist or not , but if I was in Ito's position I would take offense too... due to the nature of the job and where I come from ( mind you not just country but the state ) , and the immaturity of some of the people I work with , I frequently end up in situations where I am with two other people and they are talking in a language that I don't understand even though they can choose to talk in english. It gets under your skin and you have to force yourself to ignore it.
Now imagine that happening when you are losing a critical point int he final of WC .

ITTF should have a guideline where the umpire is forced to communicate in English or a common language that is understood by both sides ...
I know racism and nationalism are not good buzz words, but the point is that the umpire was communicating with the players in Mandarin not English according to Ito. Hope that makes it clear how it comes an issue. If both teams spoke good Chinese, it might have been less of an issue.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
Is Ma Long a cheater? I didn't think so.

We have people in this forum that rather see shitty table tennis than having China winning deservedly. We have people in this forum who want to magically remove Chinas dominance to anything but just that. We have people who want this change to be made "for free", without any effort or work by other nations. Success comes with a price, hard damn work. ITTF changed the balls to slow down Chinas dominance, but what did China do? Started working out even harder. That's what winners do. They do not whine, they practice harder than any match situation, for when the match comes it's not that hard. I love Chinese table tennis, and this incident will not change that fact. You sitting here like you know what that pressure is like? Ridiculous!

Hey... where did you go to school? Your logic is weird!

Did I say ML was a cheater? No, I didn't. (just stating the fact so you can't put words in my mouth)

In this case, SYS was clearly the cheater here. Unfortunately she brought her companion to share the shame. SYS will go back and review the video with her superiors then write confession that "I will never cheat again. I don't need to cheat because I am the best. If I cheat many people will look down on me and possibly my own country."

Not sure where you are from but you clearly don't understand how sportsmanship to many people in this forum are simply more important than just "marvelous" Chinese table tennis.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
China has had and has many great table tennis players ....
WMY and SYS are great players ....And maybe they would have won the final without resorting to fraud ....
But, unfortunately (for them first of all) - they were not fair in this episode .....
They know it themselves ... And they know the true price of their gold medals ....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
We we can keep arguing but I don't think you can say from the video that the assistant umpire pointed at let , a finger was pointed and from it was pointing I could as easily argue he/she was asking whether it was a edge or not ... only the people involved can say for sure what the assistant umpire was saying ... lets hope somebody involved speaks up and gives the exact set of events .. but my original argument still stand .. first of all if there was a let and you are appealing , SYS shoudl have raised here left hand in the air when returning the ball ( this is the standard protocol ) , she did not and missed the return and later she sided with the umpire ... unsportsmanlike ...

to the rest of the people .. you can go through all my posts ... not once I have made this a china vs rest of the world issue ... so lets not make it one and digress ... the point here is about playing fair ...

The quality may be worse but I can see clearly that it was the assistant umpire who pointed let before SYS or WMY did and not the other way round. And as per Japanese players interview, it is also clear. What happens after umpire called let is a different argument altogether.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I'm talking about Chinese table tennis as a whole, not this isolated incident. Sportsmanship i extremely important, but it obviously seems like it's difficult to enforce when players disbehave.

I didn't necessarily direct my response to you, there are others who only pop up to this forum to write how disappointed they are in Chinese players winning their matches. "China won again, the world is ending! Can someone stop this nightmare!"

Like my flag state, I'm from Sweden.

Hey... where did you go to school? Your logic is weird!

Did I say ML was a cheater? No, I didn't. (just stating the fact so you can't put words in my mouth)

In this case, SYS was clearly the cheater here. Unfortunately she brought her companion to share the shame. SYS will go back and review the video with her superiors then write confession that "I will never cheat again. I don't need to cheat because I am the best. If I cheat many people will look down on me and possibly my own country."

Not sure where you are from but you clearly don't understand how sportsmanship to many people in this forum are simply more important than just "marvelous" Chinese table tennis.

Reactions: Junting
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
@RidTheKid : You are absolutely right in calling this out.

From a theoretical point I am with you, the best should win, period and I am the a big fan of CNT players as long as they play and win fairly and show good sportsmanship on the court.

But you have to acknowledge from a pragmatic point of view that only one country winning does not help the popularity of the sport. Not all but some of the people here come from this view point as well.

I'm talking about Chinese table tennis as a whole, not this isolated incident. Sportsmanship i extremely important, but it obviously seems like it's difficult to enforce when players disbehave.

I didn't necessarily direct my response to you, there are others who only pop up to this forum to write how disappointed they are in Chinese players winning their matches. "China won again, the world is ending! Can someone stop this nightmare!"

Like my flag state, I'm from Sweden.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
We we can keep arguing but I don't think you can say from the video that the assistant umpire pointed at let , a finger was pointed and from it was pointing I could as easily argue he/she was asking whether it was a edge or not ... only the people involved can say for sure what the assistant umpire was saying ... lets hope somebody involved speaks up and gives the exact set of events .. but my original argument still stand .. first of all if there was a let and you are appealing , SYS shoudl have raised here left hand in the air when returning the ball ( this is the standard protocol ) , she did not and missed the return and later she sided with the umpire ... unsportsmanlike ...

to the rest of the people .. you can go through all my posts ... not once I have made this a china vs rest of the world issue ... so lets not make it one and digress ... the point here is about playing fair ...

And if you are discussing what happened with the umpire in a language that the opponents cannot understand, how is that fair?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I understand, believe me. But if a country like Sweden with 6000 licensed players can get a guy to the WTTC final then ANY country in the world is able to do so. This final more than anything proves just that.

@RidTheKid : You are absolutely right in calling this out.

From a theoretical point I am with you, the best should win, period and I am the a big fan of CNT players as long as they play and win fairly and show good sportsmanship on the court.

But you have to acknowledge from a pragmatic point of view that only one country winning does not help the popularity of the sport. Not all but some of the people here come from this view point as well.