This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
What dont you get about a requirement for the player to serve legally in a manner that the umpire can clearly tell serve was legal?

Just about all of us formers wanted umpires to call borderline serves as faults... now we got umpires doing that and now we suddenly do not like it? Now it is killing the game?

How about a pro not serving illegal or borderline?

That isnt too difficult. They had over a decade to adjust.

Problem is umpires never had courage or desire to call serves by the rules... and players adjusted by serving illegally until it was too obvious.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It's basically what Fruitloop says. We can't have some umpires being strict on the serves and some not. The player's will try to get their serves as close to legal as possible and if no one tells them except very few umpires then it's game ruining. It is difficult when it's their career and everyone is doing borderline illegal serves, then you really have to adapt or you're at a big disadvantage. Even Timo Boll got his serves called and as far as I'm aware he never gets them called.

Personally I think, as long as the serve isn't very clearly illegal which it usually isn't.. then it's ruining the game for both the player's and the spectators if they start randomly calling it. One of these umpires was calling way too many serves and serves of player's which are usually never being called.

I agree with you about the serving rule but it's useless unless they can be consistent with which serves they call. If they're never going to become consistent then change the rule and be more lenient or something.. or make sure everyone is more consistent with which serves to call and keep the rule.

Additionally it's a nightmare for amateur players and local leagues etc where there aren't even umpires and tons of players are serving illegally out of their hand and so on. What do we do about that? Start arguing about it because we're in our right to do so? It takes away the enjoyment for everyone if we were to do that. So we just play and deal with it unless the serve is clearly illegal.. then maybe someone will say something.

This user has no status.
I think ittf should just allow the body to obscure the ball, it is so subjective based on where the umpire sits, where the receiving player is standing relative to the serving player, and also the handedness of both players. Legal tosses and movements of the free arm can be judged much more reasonably from any point of view.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It's basically what Fruitloop says. We can't have some umpires being strict on the serves and some not. The player's will try to get their serves as close to legal as possible and if no one tells them except very few umpires then it's game ruining. It is difficult when it's their career and everyone is doing borderline illegal serves, then you really have to adapt or you're at a big disadvantage. Even Timo Boll got his serves called and as far as I'm aware he never gets them called.

Personally I think, as long as the serve isn't very clearly illegal which it usually isn't.. then it's ruining the game for both the player's and the spectators if they start randomly calling it. One of these umpires was calling way too many serves and serves of player's which are usually never being called.

I agree with you about the serving rule but it's useless unless they can be consistent with which serves they call. If they're never going to become consistent then change the rule and be more lenient or something.. or make sure everyone is more consistent with which serves to call and keep the rule.

Additionally it's a nightmare for amateur players and local leagues etc where there aren't even umpires and tons of players are serving illegally out of their hand and so on. What do we do about that? Start arguing about it because we're in our right to do so? It takes away the enjoyment for everyone if we were to do that. So we just play and deal with it unless the serve is clearly illegal.. then maybe someone will say something.

If you watch many sports, you can see that this is true for many many sports. As DerEchte pointed out, the problem is that table tennis is a cheap sport without money and stakes so things are allowed to happen that would not be allowed if there was more money in the sport. If people were losing money wagering because Ma Long started serving illegally, then things would change. Pros should be held to a different standard. You can't call foot faults in casual tennis. It is hard to call offsides in casual soccer. It isn't fair for the quality of TT if we confuse the standard that the pros should be held to with the everyday rank and file players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
I agree but I brought that up as a sidenote.

The way it is at the moment, everyone loses. Amateur player's will get annoyed with each other because they see others serving illegally, most don't care of course, but still.

Pro player's might get unlucky with the umpire and have to change their serves which affects their performance or even stop serving it entirely, despite it being borderline legal. Meanwhile someone else can serve clearly illegal and get away with it with another umpire.

The way it is now just isn't right. I agree with the serve rule but if it can't be enforced consistently then it's useless. So then it's a question how we can help umpires do a better job. Unfortunately some are on a power trip and others are too lenient.

This user has no status.
Wow just realised LYJ lost to Gionis. Big upset, perhaps he is not good against choppers like Pitchford (I honestly was 90% sure Pitchford would lose today).

A big advantage of the Chinese is because they have chopping practice partners basically none of them lose to choppers ever. Like I am struggling to imagine Xu Xin losing a set to a chopper. Fast over the table players like Liu Shiwen may struggle more but I can't recall her losing to a chopper either.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Wow just realised LYJ lost to Gionis. Big upset, perhaps he is not good against choppers like Pitchford (I honestly was 90% sure Pitchford would lose today).

A big advantage of the Chinese is because they have chopping practice partners basically none of them lose to choppers ever. Like I am struggling to imagine Xu Xin losing a set to a chopper. Fast over the table players like Liu Shiwen may struggle more but I can't recall her losing to a chopper either.
He still isn't yet 18. Losing to a chopper of Gionis quality (who also has a nuclear forehand topspin) is not a big deal.

Reactions: yoass and tzifos
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
Wang liqin busy in Budapest :cool: . Fans met their Idol .

74313659ly1g2d4j4t5jkj21400u0ao8.jpg

74313659ly1g2d4j6p87wj21400u07i6.jpg

74313659ly1g2d4jdi8d6j20n01ds133.jpg

74313659ly1g2d4p13m51j20u0140tju.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.

Excellent performance from Gionis. In the games he lost, he was a bit more attacking than defensing. Very nice match, we need more top-level defenders/choppers to make this sport more entertaining for the spectators.

I hope I see Gionis in the top 16 but I doubt, as next match is with Liang Jingkun, no.9 in the world and one of the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
Chinese players tend to start slow against lower ranked opponents, I wonder if there is a specific pattern in the way they play, try out serves for the coaches to analyze. Gotta keep a closer eye on that.

I read somewhere a few months ago that the Chinese have scouting profiles on all players they may encounter, including things like serving and receive tendencies, pattens of play, strengths, weaknesses, etc. The first game, especially in a best of 7, is to determine if these tendencies are still accurate and try out variations that may work. Winning the first game is not a goal, but diagnosing what will work for later games is key. They also have predetermined strategies for 9 all, as this happens so frequently in world class play, having a specific strategy planned out beforehand is a key part of pregame strategy.

I am a little surprised they don't do what they do in the NFL in the US, with coaches up in the stands analyzing game patterns and radioing down to the courtside coach what they see to help strategize. Maybe they do.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018

South Korea is another country with a strong record against choppers, well, due to the tradition of producing choppers.

Europe used to be macho against choppers. Back then you had Waldner, Rosskopf, Samsonov and many others who ate choppers for breakfast. But now...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
Read 1 reviews
I read somewhere a few months ago that the Chinese have scouting profiles on all players they may encounter, including things like serving and receive tendencies, pattens of play, strengths, weaknesses, etc. The first game, especially in a best of 7, is to determine if these tendencies are still accurate and try out variations that may work. Winning the first game is not a goal, but diagnosing what will work for later games is key. They also have predetermined strategies for 9 all, as this happens so frequently in world class play, having a specific strategy planned out beforehand is a key part of pregame strategy.

I am a little surprised they don't do what they do in the NFL in the US, with coaches up in the stands analyzing game patterns and radioing down to the courtside coach what they see to help strategize. Maybe they do.

If the above is true I'm not surprised (but no less impressed). Chinese TT is so far more advanced than almost every other country it seems.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
An Jaehyun, 19. Took out WCT and Moregard. Habesohn next?

Just had a brief look on the brackets men's and women and they are crowded with questions like this. Today and tomorrow will be the most exciting days in terms of possible surprising outcomes ...

@Won't be able to participate today as much so if you guys have time to follow it closely, I envy you already ... ; )

Reactions: zeio
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
But NextLevel ... for fh serves, everybody pretty much would have toh use the Samsonov style and this is not doable ...

The service accounts for much, but does not fully dictate the entire flow of the consecutive exchanges.

Samsonov himself can change his style (make strategical and tactical adjustments) on the fly, as needed vis a vis an opponent, and can still use his serves for the full range of styles — well away from that crucial borderline mentioned before.

This user has no status.
South Korea is another country with a strong record against choppers, well, due to the tradition of producing choppers.

Europe used to be macho against choppers. Back then you had Waldner, Rosskopf, Samsonov and many others who ate choppers for breakfast. But now...
Less than 5% of Greek youngsters that play TT in clubs are choppers. Ban of frinctionless long pips and new balls gave attackers a big advantage, so no one wants to learn how to chop any more. So any child that likes TT and have dreams of becoming a TT champion is "guided" by coaches to become an attacker. :(