Japan Women's Race to Tokyo 2020 Singles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think she needs to bring it down on the backhand. She's going 200 miles per hour because she wants to dominate those backhand rallies, but I think she can still do so slowing down by maybe 10%. That's what MH did, and it did wonders for her consistentcy. She needs to end the year strong and she needs a mental break so decided to skip Paraguay. And it will give her some time to recalibrate a more effective BH. I hope she comes back refreshed and ready to go.

I think you are incorrect. If you have short pips on BH side you do not have much choice, because you cannot put much spin on the ball. So if you play slower then your opponent will counter it easily and takeover. That is why Ito needs to play with power.
Generaly chinese players are more consistent and they have learnt how to bring every ball back to the table. So it is not easy to win topspin exchange with them. That is the reason why Ito tries to finish the point ASAP, if not her chances to win the point drops in every shot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
I think you are incorrect. If you have short pips on BH side you do not have much choice, because you cannot put much spin on the ball. So if you play slower then your opponent will counter it easily and takeover. That is why Ito needs to play with power.
Generaly chinese players are more consistent and they have learnt how to bring every ball back to the table. So it is not easy to win topspin exchange with them. That is the reason why Ito tries to finish the point ASAP, if not her chances to win the point drops in every shot.
She doesn't need to nor should she play slower than her opponent. Fast is good, but ridiculously fast to the point of not being able to land her shots is self defeating. She can still win with a combination of speed (not ridiculous speed) and placement (which she certainly has the ability). She actually has a great wide backhand (notice the placement), forehand parallel transition combo that works very well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jggj29FFdSQ&t=6m45s

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
I do not understand....

1 - Why was Hayata recalled from Germany Open?

It was announced that four Grand Final finalists will receive an invitation to Tokyo 2020 ...

2 - Why is JTTA not announcing a pair of Harimoto-Hayata for the remaining tours until the end of the year? This couple could well get to the Grand Final and, possibly, to the top 4 ...

3 - Similarly - a pair of Ito-Hayata ...
I do not understand....:(

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I do not understand....

1 - Why was Hayata recalled from Germany Open?

It was announced that four Grand Final finalists will receive an invitation to Tokyo 2020 ...

2 - Why is JTTA not announcing a pair of Harimoto-Hayata for the remaining tours until the end of the year? This couple could well get to the Grand Final and, possibly, to the top 4 ...

3 - Similarly - a pair of Ito-Hayata ...
I do not understand....:(

I think the reason is they already made decision not sending Hayata to olympics. So testing her in doubles or mix doubles does not make any sense.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
What do you think is the point of testing ... the Hirano-Shibata pair?The last rounds of ITTF they regularly play WD .....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
What do you think is the point of testing ... the Hirano-Shibata pair?The last rounds of ITTF they regularly play WD .....

They are keeping Hirano practiced in doubles. She already has a decent history with Ito and they haven't decided their teams doubles pairing though they know their team.

Well, for those complaining about t2 bonus points.

It seems T2 Haikou has been "postponed". ITTF's announcement is a bit unclear.

"T2 has announced the postponement of T2 Diamond 2019 China after its discussions with the local organising committee came to a halt. With little over four weeks remaining to the event, T2 has decided to reduce 2019’s three-event series to two events, and will announce details for the rescheduling of T2 Diamond 2019 China."

This implies either the remaining T2 will be a rescheduled T2 China, and T2 Singapore has been cancelled. Or, more likely T2 China has been cancelled, and ITTF doesn't know what "postponed" means.

So at least T2 bonus points will be less of a factor now.

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Hey Zeio! I think you misread the chart. The 8 results shown in the twitter chart you posted aren't each player's top 8 results but only show these players' results from the last 8 events. If you notice, the results in the chart only include those from the China Open and onwards, but don't include the Qatar Open and the WTTC 2019. The cells highlighted in Green are those results good enough to form the top 8 results of the player while those highlighted in gray have already been eliminated from the player's top 8 results. In fact, Ito, Ishikawa and Hirano all have 900 points as their worst Top 8 Result. Please see the spreadsheet below containing all events:
View attachment 19681View attachment 19682

Basically, for Ito, Hirano or Ishikawa to get any kind of gain in WR points towards the Jan. 2020 ranking, they need at least a SF finish in a World Tour Regular event and at least a QF finish in a World Tour Platinum event since their lowest result among the top 8 is 900. In fact, Ito will have the hardest time gaining ranking points as compared to Hirano and Ishikawa because Ito only has 2x 900pts while both Ishikawa and Hirano have 3x 900pts.

Crap! Rookie mistake. Fixed it.

To never make the same blunder again, I spent the last few days and put together my own interactive excel file. Just put in new data and it'll handle all the calculations. I've tested it pretty extensively and the results should be reliable. Feel free to play with it.

Final update: Dec 14
View attachment RaceForTokyo2020_Protected.zip

NZR0ITZ.png

qbGjUwl.png

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
So, 2019 ITTF-ATTU Asian Table Tennis Championships....

How can its results change the position of players in the ITTF ranking 10/2019 (WS , 6th-10th places)?

Now:
ITO Mima 12620
ISHIKAWA Kasumi 12443 The minimum 8th result - 1170
HIRANO Miu 12140 The minimum 8th result - 1170
CHENG I-Ching 12125 The minimum 8th result - 880

Matches won in groups (max. 10) - 25 * n (max.250)
Loser in rnd of 16 - 720
8th - 4th position 765 - 900

While in the most favorable position - C.I.C. .....

Last edited:
Jan 2018
So, 2019 ITTF-ATTU Asian Table Tennis Championships....

How can its results change the position of players in the ITTF ranking 10/2019 (WS , 6th-10th places)?

Now:
ITO Mima 12620
ISHIKAWA Kasumi 12443 The minimum 8th result - 1170
HIRANO Miu 12140 The minimum 8th result - 1170
CHENG I-Ching 12125 The minimum 8th result - 880

Matches won in groups (max. 10) - 25 * n (max.250)
Loser in rnd of 16 - 720
8th - 4th position 765 - 1080

While in the most favorable position - C.I.C. .....

I think the ATTC doesn't have finishing position, but only finishing round, provided they haven't changed it. In that case, Hirano will have to reach F(1350pts) to replace 1170pts, while CIC will only have to reach QF(900pts) to replace 880pts. If Hirano doesn't and CIC does, they will switch in ranking for Oct, since they're only 15 points apart.

Reactions: Vlad Celler