Japan Women's Race to Tokyo 2020 Singles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
How is the situation with a reserve player? I dont have knowledge about the rules, but there has to be a replacement ready, if one of the main olympic players get "injured". Could JNT use advantage of this? They could see if Ishikawa gets back in form, or if Hayata´s performance skyrock and adjust the third teammember just before the olympic tournament?

I know JNT will never do something like this, but this could help JNT to chose the best player in form and not just months ahead.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
How is the situation with a reserve player? I dont have knowledge about the rules, but there has to be a replacement ready, if one of the main olympic players get "injured". Could JNT use advantage of this? They could see if Ishikawa gets back in form, or if Hayata´s performance skyrock and adjust the third teammember just before the olympic tournament?

I know JNT will never do something like this, but this could help JNT to chose the best player in form and not just months ahead.

I am afraid that the JNT leadership does not yet have a clear answer to this question .....

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
More TWC promo with a new analysis of the team lineups by Sayaka Hirano.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
Jan 2018
Shibata was the champion of Challenger tournaments last year but she didn't encounter Chinese opposition if I'm correct. Hayata's performance is much more laudable

Took a quick look. China didn't send anyone until the Thailand Open in May, in which LSW took part. Other than that, China sent only players from provincial teams. Shibata won like 4 times beating Hashimoto, Sato, Samara and Mikhailova in the finals. Kato won 1 time beating Mori. Hashimoto reached the final 3 times, losing to Yang Haeun, LSW and Shibata.

https://mao.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/pingpong/1571478399/527-n
549名無しQ(・∀・)ノ゜サァン!!2019/11/04(月) 07:29:22.58ID:RtuowS4Z
今知ったが早田また優勝したんだな
「チャレンジ女王」の称号も佐藤→芝田→早田へと受け継がれてってるが
次のチャレンジ女王候補は誰になるのだろう
長崎とか小塩辺りだろうか?
Just found out Hayata won again.
The title "Queen of Challenge" has been inherited from Sato -> Shibata -> Hayata
Who will be the next successor?
Nagasaki or Ojio?

Jan 2018

Hirano was the reserve player for Rio, when she was 4th JNT player on the world ranking list 9/2015. Hayata might get that treatment this time around.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
T.W.C.
Group compositions published ...
It must be assumed that the results of TWC-2018 will be replaced by current results ...
For the Japanese women's team, this means:

Hina Hayata will lose 600 points from the reserve .....
(It’s a pity ... the moment for Hayata is rather complicated ..)

It will be very interesting to follow Ishikawa .....Her last year’s result is 1,500 points ....I’m very unsure that this year she will be able to get at least 1000 ...Therefore, a loss is possible .....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Summary for Hayata
2019: 5 wins (up to Nov 3)
Portugal, Oman, Serbia, Paraguay, Belarus.

Wins/Loss to Chinese player 9/5:
LSW Portugal 4:2
Hu LiMei Portugal 4:1
Shi Xunyao Korea 4:3
Chan Ke Korea 4:2
Fung Yalan Bulgaria 4:0
Zhang Qian Bulgaria 4:2
Yang Hujing Belarus 4:1
Shi Xunyao Belarus 4:1
Fan Siqi Belarus 4:2

Gu Yuting China 3:4
CM Japan 2:4
LSW Korea 2:4
LI Jayi Australia 2:4
Zhang Qian Poland 2:4

Up till Oct Hayata was in JNT’s B team (reserves).

Any one kept records of Kato, Sato ?
edit: missed record

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

Sato cant be chosen, as she plays defence and they dont want to field an attack / defence double for sure.

Kato´s chances are also marginal. Ifs Hirano plays singles JNT will not field 3 right handed players. if Ishikawa plays singles why should JNT chose Kato over Hirano? Hirano is way better doubles, too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Summary for Hayata

Wins/Loss to Chinese player 9/4:

Any one kept records of Kato, Sato?

Honestly, I didn’t want to ....But in fairness, forced, with tears in his eyes ...

Poland,October 2019... QF....Zhang Qiang - 2:4...A disappointing loss, because recently she won against her .....

Reactions: Tempest/Comet
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Sato cant be chosen, as she plays defence and they dont want to field an attack / defence double for sure.

Kato´s chances are also marginal. Ifs Hirano plays singles JNT will not field 3 right handed players. if Ishikawa plays singles why should JNT chose Kato over Hirano? Hirano is way better doubles, too.

Damn formal ranking .....(for JNT leadership) ...

In theory, Hayata could formally beat Kato in the ITTF ranking by mid-2020 ...But this is very, very difficult - Hayata has big losses, deductions for February-March 2019 ...Kato will have much less deductions for this period .....
As for Sato, she has very few direct deductions for January-May 2020 ....+T2 , +Grand Final...:(

It would be very important for Hayata to get to the championship in April 2020 ... Will it be possible ..

Give Hayata a chance to prove equal with the three best players in Japan! No qualifications! Well, why didn’t they take her on TWC ?!
:mad:

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

You are acting as if JNT prefers to use discretion rather than follow rules. Why is Sato at the world team cuo?

This user has no status.
Damn formal ranking .....(for JNT leadership) ...

In theory, Hayata could formally beat Kato in the ITTF ranking by mid-2020 ...But this is very, very difficult - Hayata has big losses, deductions for February-March 2019 ...Kato will have much less deductions for this period .....
As for Sato, she has very few direct deductions for January-May 2020 ....+T2 , +Grand Final...:(

It would be very important for Hayata to get to the championship in April 2020 ... Will it be possible ..

Give Hayata a chance to prove equal with the three best players in Japan! No qualifications! Well, why didn’t they take her on TWC ?!
:mad:

I hope she will win the National Championships in January. that may weigh in any decision

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
You are acting as if JNT prefers to use discretion rather than follow rules. Why is Sato at the world team cuo?

Is Sato gonna play games at the team world cup? If there is no injury she wont.

Correct me if Im wrong, but the third member of the olympic team is not choosen by world ranking, rather by JTTA. As JTTA wants to get the best results at the olympics they will decide which third team member is giving them the best chance to perform well. A good WR would make it more easy to explain the decision of course.

Im 95% certain JTTA go with Ito, Hirano and Ishkikawa, but for the other 5% I dont see them take Sato or Kato, because of the reasons I explained before. What would be your reasoning to take Sato or Kato over Hayata in the unlikley event that one of the top 3 not get the spot?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
God ... At least the fourth participant ..... Even so ... As Hirano at the last Olympics .....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Summary for Hayata

Wins/Loss to Chinese player 9/5:

Zhang Qian Poland 2:4

Any one kept records of Kato, Sato ?
edit: missed record

She also lost to Chen Xingtong in germany.
Considering her big wins in January (LSW and HLM) since then she did not beat anyone important.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018

She also lost to Chen Xingtong in germany.
Considering her big wins in January (LSW and HLM) since then she did not beat anyone important.

2019 - ITTF Challenge Plus, Portugal Open, 32 KATO Miyu WU Yangchen 4 3 KATO Miyu
2019 - ITTF Challenge Plus, Portugal Open, 8 KATO Miyu LI Jiayuan 2 4 LI Jiayuan
2019 - World Table Tennis Championships 8 KATO Miyu LIU Shiwen 1 4 LIU Shiwen
2019 - ITTF World Tour Platinum, China Open, 32 KATO Miyu CHEN Xingtong 2 4 CHEN Xingtong
2019 - ITTF World Tour, Hong Kong Open, 32 KATO Miyu HE Zhuojia 1 4 HE Zhuojia
2019 - ITTF World Tour Platinum, Australian Open, 32 KATO Miyu QIAN Tianyi 1 4 QIAN Tianyi
2019 - T2 Diamond Malaysia Women's Singles 8 KATO Miyu CHEN Meng 4 2 KATO Miyu
2019 - T2 Diamond Malaysia Women's Singles 4 KATO Miyu ZHU Yuling 0 4 ZHU Yuling
2019 - T2 Diamond Malaysia Women's Singles 2 KATO Miyu DING Ning 0 4 DING Ning
2019 - ITTF World Tour, Czech Open, Olomouc 32 KATO Miyu LIU Weishan 1 4 LIU Weishan

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
@sali thnx for the reminder
the records are statistics, you can read into/use it anyway you wish. They are meant to be manipulated to suit what you wish to say.
(BTW, who else has beat Chinese girls whatever tier they’re in, and how many times ?)
Hayata is not ready for 2020, her great potential is undeniable, maybe just as good as Hirano-Ishikawa even now (which are not really that good against China currently) but NOT better. I’m not going to compare her against the aging soon-to-retire CNT elite which is no concern of hers. Murakami (former JNT Head coach) said Japanese girls would really come into their own, not in 2020, but in 2024. That’s the time span for Hayata to blossom.
In the meantime, I look it this way, someone has found chinks in CNT’s armour and nip them in the bud. That’s a good thing to look forward to in the years ahead.
(I’m not concerned with the artificial time line of 2020, and try to revolve/justify everything around it. If it matters, I’d let Ishikawa or Hirano take the fall for failing the dreams of their country, as either of them would impede Japan’s aim for gold - at this writing, and leave Hayata out of the fray.)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
I believe JTTA is trying their best to be fair in the WTC, but there’s no good way around it. So they went the only way that would avoid controversy...go by WR. That’s why Sato is in. Also to minimize another monkey, Hayata is out, so is Kato. So just 4.
Remember Hirano was in London’s WTC ? She never got to play even 1 game. Or Hayata & Nagasaki in Team WTTC ? Getting into the team is no guarantee one will play.
I think the singles spot will be evenly allocated to Hirano & Ishikawa for fairness in pt competition’s sake, the odd spots will be filled by Ito, or even Sato. This is even more likely now that Japan is drawn into Group B and may not even make it to the Final.
I also think 2020 Team will be Ito-Hirano-Ishikawa, but it will not be like Rio, where Hirano was “P” due to her 4th ranking. That’s when the discretion/recommendation clause comes in handy. Instead of Sato or Kato, Hayata may get the p card because of her versatility. But take note that the Ito-Hayata combo hasn’t seen action since April 2019, so there’s no current valid data to use as yardstick.

Last edited: