Reviewing 2012 - The List

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
Now that 2012 is running to an end I thought it would be a good time to look back at the table tennis of 2012... Many great tournaments including the Olympics, some really exciting matches, new young talents,... Lots of things to review!
What are your favourites? Copy the list and fill it in!

The list:

Code:
[B]Favourite match of 2012:[/B] 
[B]Favourite tournament of 2012:[/B] 
[B]Overall favourite table tennis moment of 2012:[/B] 
[B]Saddest table tennis moment of 2012:[/B] 
[B]Funniest table tennis moment of 2012:[/B] 

[B]Favourite player(s) of 2012:[/B] 
[B]Most surprising player(s) of 2012:[/B] 
[B]Most promising junior player(s) of 2012:[/B] 

[B]...and finally... [/B]
[B]The upcoming WTTC 2013 men's champion:[/B] 
[B]The upcoming WTTC 2013 women's champion:[/B]​ 
[B]Any other remarks about 2012:[/B]

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My own list:
Favourite match of 2012: Koki Niwa/Kenta Matsudaira - Wang Hao/Zhou Yu
Favourite tournament of 2012: Olympic Games
Overall favourite table tennis moment of 2012: Michael Maze beating Jun Mizutani in the Olympics.
Saddest table tennis moment of 2012: Chuang losing the Olympic Singles Bronze medal match against Ovtcharov.
Funniest table tennis moment of 2012:
6d3e4ec7gw1dwmm73jblog.gif

Favourite player(s) of 2012: Koki Niwa, Bojan Tokic
Most surprising player(s) of 2012: Michael Maze, Petrissa Solja
Most promising junior player(s) of 2012: Koki Niwa, Fan Zhendong

...and finally...
The upcoming WTTC 2013 men's champion: Ma Long
The upcoming WTTC 2013 women's champion: Liu Shiwen
Any other remarks about 2012: -

Your turn!

Reactions: TTMB2
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Favourite match of 2012: Ma Long vs Joo Se Hyuk (Hungarian Open)
Overall favourite table tennis moment of 2012: seeing the happiness of the korean womens team (especially Kim Kyung Ah) after their epic comeback vs japan in the WTTC :)
Saddest table tennis moment of 2012: Seeing Michael Maze thow away leads in his match against ovtcharov in the olympics and later go on to lose it :(
Funniest table tennis moment of 2012: Same as Stevens :p
Favourite player(s) of 2012: Joo Se Hyuk (as always :p) Ma long, Gao Ning, Samsonov and Chuang Chih-Yuan :)
Most surprising player(s) of 2012: Hmmm Hao Shuai in the China Super League and Tan Ruiwu in European Championships
Most promising junior player(s) of 2012: Fan Zhendong and Yuto Muramatsu
...and finally...
The upcoming WTTC 2013 women's champion:​ Liu Shiwen
Any other remarks about 2012: it has been a truly great year of table tennis, and hopefully 2013 will continue in the same fashion! :)

Edit- formatted post to make it look better :p

Last edited:
says Yes.YES.Yall>
says Yes.YES.Yall>
Oct 2012
Favourite match of 2012: [SUB]Timo Boll - Dimitri Ovtcharov (German Open)[/SUB]
Favourite tournament of 2012: [SUB]London Olympic [/SUB]
Overall favourite table tennis moment of 2012:[SUB] Samsonov wins Xu XIn at World Cup (Bronze Medal MAtch)[/SUB]
Saddest table tennis moment of 2012: [SUB]Samsonov wins Xu XIn at World Cup (Bronze Medal MAtch)[/SUB]
Funniest table tennis moment of 2012: [SUB]can't remember [/SUB]
Favourite player(s) of 2012: [SUB]Ma Long , Dmitriy Ovtcharov , Zhang Jike[/SUB]
Most surprising player(s) of 2012: [SUB]Koki Niwa[/SUB]
Most promising junior player(s) of 2012: [SUB]Sabine Winter , Petrissa Soulja , Fan Zhendong,Lin Gaoyuan[/SUB]
...and finally...
The upcoming WTTC 2013 men's champion: [SUB]Ma Long [/SUB]
The upcoming WTTC 2013 women's champion:​ [SUB]Ding Ning[/SUB]
Any other remarks about 2012: -

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Favourite match of 2012: Zhang Jike - Ma longFavourite tournament of 2012: London OlympicsOverall favourite table tennis moment of 2012: London Paralympic 'Shot of the year'Saddest table tennis moment of 2012: Ariel Hsing losing to Li Xiaoxia :(Funniest table tennis moment of 2012: Adam Bobrow!!
Favourite player(s) of 2012: Zhang JikeMost surprising player(s) of 2012: Ariel HsingMost promising junior player(s) of 2012: Ariel Hsing...and finally... The upcoming WTTC 2013 men's champion: Zhang Jike The upcoming WTTC 2013 women's champion:​ Ding NingAny other remarks about 2012: Great Year!

says Hello FbERN! I think it is a good choice :)
says Hello FbERN! I think it is a good choice :)
Dec 2012
It's hard to read it without headaches but here's my list:

Favourite match of 2012: Koki Niwa/Kenta Matsudaira - Wang Hao/Zhou Yu at the Polish Open, Xu Xin vs. Ovtcharov at the World Cup
Overall favourite table tennis moment of 2012: World Cup 1. CHN 2. GER 3. BLR, Ovtcharov getting 3rd at the Olympics.
Saddest table tennis moment of 2012: Maze losing by 2 points to Ovtcharov in the Olympics
Favourite player(s) of 2012: Noshad Alamyian, Michael Maze, Chen Weixing
Most surprising player(s) of 2012: Robert Gardos, Stefan Fegerl, Daniel Habesohn
Most promising junior player(s) of 2012: Koki Niwa, Bernadette Scocz (hot as hell)

...and finally...
The upcoming WTTC 2013 women's champion: Ding Ning

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Favourite match of 2012:Too much to decide.
Favourite tournament of 2012:China Super League
Overall favourite table tennis moment of 2012:Don't have one.
Saddest table tennis moment of 2012:Ma Long losing to Koki Niwa? was that this year?
Funniest table tennis moment of 2012:I think they are all serious, no funny moments.
Favourite player(s) of 2012:Xu Xin, Ma Long, Joo Se Hyuk and Yuto (forgot his last name).
Most surprising player(s) of 2012:Koki Niwa (beat Ma Long)
Most promising junior player(s) of 2012:Yuto.
...and finally... The upcoming WTTC 2013 men's champion:Xu Xin? What do I put in these?
The upcoming WTTC 2013 women's champion:Ding Ning.
Any other remarks about 2012: Survived Apocalypse.

Last edited:
Reactions: judah000

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Awesome discussion Steven!

Favourite match of 2012: William Henzell vs Vladimir Samsonov at the London 2012 Olympics. I was watching it live, just epic!
Favourite tournament of 2012: London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games! Will be a year I will cherish for the rest of my life!
Overall favourite table tennis moment of 2012: Watching the Men's and Women's singles medalists of the Olympics stand on the podium receiving their medals with the Chariots of Fire music playing. This was an incredible moment for me.
Saddest table tennis moment of 2012: Timo Boll being knocked out in the early rounds of the Olympics. After this match I couldn't speak for an hour. I was totally gutted.
Funniest table tennis moment of 2012: I can't think of a funniest moment right now but I really found it funny with some of the gifs and photos in TTD's rare photo/gif discussion: http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?3797-Rare-Table-Tennis-Gifs-and-Photos
Favourite player(s) of 2012: Ma Long, Bojan Tokic, Timo Boll and Xu Xin
Most surprising player(s) of 2012: Koki Niwa
Most promising junior player(s) of 2012: Yuto Muramatsu, Fan Zhendong, Simon Gauzy, Liam Pitchford and Koki Niwa
...and finally... The upcoming WTTC 2013 men's champion: Ma Long!
The upcoming WTTC 2013 women's champion:​ Liu Shiwen
Any other remarks about 2012: It was the best table tennis year I have ever witnessed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Favourite match of 2012: Can't remember, Samsonov - Jike was pretty good as well as Samsonov - Chuang and Samsonov - Xu Xin xD
Favourite tournament of 2012:
Olympics
Overall favourite table tennis moment of 2012:
Any moment Maze did well, from winning the Super Cup at the start of the year, to beating Jun in Olympics, to winning his group in the World Cup.
Saddest table tennis moment of 2012:
Maze losing to Ovtcharov in Olympics. Should've been his bronze medal...
Zhang Jike diving under the table to get the table number back on the side... Was that this year?
Favourite player(s) of 2012:
Samsonov, Maze
Most surprising player(s) of 2012:
Samsonov defenitely :)
Most promising junior player(s) of 2012:
Many, especially Japanese players
....and finally...
The upcoming WTTC 2013 men's champion:
Zhang Jike
The upcoming WTTC 2013 women's champion:​
Chen Meng? No idea :p
Any other remarks about 2012:
Good year :)

Last edited:
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Favourite match of 2012: Henzells win over Joao Monteiro at the Olympics.
Favourite tournament of 2012: World Team Championships
Overall favourite table tennis moment of 2012: World Team Champs Final (Ger vs. China)
Saddest table tennis moment of 2012: Chuang losing the bronze medal match for sure.
Funniest table tennis moment of 2012: Oh Sang Eun missing the easiest lobs ever (v Mattenet and Mizutani)
Favourite player(s) of 2012: Bojan Tokic, Tiago Apolonia, William Henzell
Most surprising player(s) of 2012:, Samsonov (Thought he was on a downward spiral but he had a great year), Tan Riuwu for Euro finals (o_O)
Most promising junior player(s) of 2012: ​Fan Zhendong
...and finally...
The upcoming WTTC 2013 women's champion:​ Ding Ning
Any other remarks about 2012: I think we had breakthroughs in 2012, increased prize money on the world tour, a killer atmosphere and crowd for the WTTC, I hope 2013 will continue to see the growth of table tennis around the world as a spectator sport!